Old June 7, 2002, 20:04   #91
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
I was screaming at teh commentators to shut up when they kept talking about a heroic victory before the end of the match.
Me too. It was so tempting fate.

It was a good game though, if tense in the last quarter. And it was a shame that our winning goal was a penalty, and we didn't get a second, but hey, 1-0 is good enough

Batistuta should have got a red card. Dirty play.

Ferdinand and Butt played very well.

Argentinians all have long greasy hair. You don't win anything with long greasy hair.
Old June 7, 2002, 20:14   #92
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Argentinians all have long greasy hair. You don't win anything with long greasy hair.
quote:

Originally posted by Kamrat X
I find that post extremly racist. Hopefully you get a few days in Mingapulco for that one you racist ****er

Old June 7, 2002, 20:15   #93
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
for some reason i knew this thread was gonna be huge

well done though

BTW: Nicky Butt was man of the match, that must be a first . He deserved it though

i thought the handshake between Beckam and whatshisname in the interval was very nice too
Old June 7, 2002, 20:23   #94
reds4ever
Prince

yep, top game game by Butt, did you hear Sheringham in the interviews afterwards? he HATES the Argies big time!
Old June 7, 2002, 20:28   #95
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Its not racist if its true. I hope. I should have said "Argentinian international footballers". Then only one of them would have any grounds to disagree. The rest
Old June 7, 2002, 20:40   #96
reds4ever
Prince

wasn't it simeone, the guy who Beckham elbowed and the goalie who didn't look like they had hair like Peruvian hightwaymen

i was just making the point that there's a fine line between 'greasy hair' and 'sweaty' when discribing our Latin American friends. (IMO both harmless, see above)

PS the word 'cheats' also springs to mind!!!
Old June 7, 2002, 21:00   #97
axi
Prince

Local Time: 05:07
Some points about that awful game:

1. Just as it ended, I believed that there is a high chance the Argies sold the game to the Limeys, since they would probably win Sweden. That was before I saw any analysis on why the Argies sucked and before I saw the Sweden game and how difficult an opponent they are.

2. About the penalty: Owen is surely a swell actor. No matter how much pressure the defender put on his foot, he was ready to dive the moment his opponent would make the move. I feel that since the foot was retracted so hastily, the defender was weary of the possibility and did not have the intention to bring him down.

3. Argentina's problem is twofold: one is the fact that they usually play with only 3 defenders (alternating in position) which was problematic against the roster the English had and two is the replacement of Batistuta with Crespo, whereas they should have played together.

4. The English played the best cattenancio I ever saw, and were solidly closed in defense during the last 25 minutes. The Italians will definitely be jealous of this achievement.

5. Beckham is a wussy and can only score with a penalty shot. I just hope that some Nigerian woodchopper will kick his feet apart next match.

6. The Argies sucked overall, so much that I started considering if they actually deserve my support over the hated English. They seem to have had a special interest of the birds flying over the stadium, because the shot at them alot with the ball. They seemed really dead to me.

7. Englanders beware: Diegito is coming to town now, to put some courage into those Argentinian feet. He was finally admitted in Japan and he is definitely going to be a show.

8. I bet that it will be Argentina the team that will disqualify the English, in the final 8 phase. That will be funny indeed.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:03   #98
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some of you people should buy a ticket here where I live (Buenos Aires) and start yelling this stuff outside. Haha. Lets see how long you last.

Maradona is going to cause a lot of problems for other teams... he is like the backbone of the Argentine team.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:04   #99
reds4ever
Prince

..SCARY!!!
Old June 7, 2002, 21:04   #100
reds4ever
Prince

outside where ? would that be outside the closet, Gian?
Old June 7, 2002, 21:05   #101
Giancarlo
King

Oh nice insult, reds.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:08   #102
axi
Prince

Err, Gianni, you are confusing me. You are of Spanish-Italian origin, have USA nationality and live in Buenos Aires. Right?

I was under the impression that you had returned to the States.

Of course you could always be just another stupid kid from Pasadena (the place is random), playing with his alter egos.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:09   #103
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
Oh nice insult, reds.

...takes a bow
Old June 7, 2002, 21:11   #104
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

You get me the ticket, and I'm there, Gianny

reds: it was the long greasiness that has left a lasting impression on my soul. Actually, I forgot Simeone, there may be two.

axi:
1. ??
2. Sure, he does go down when tripped. Most strikers do in a penalty area when they are fouled.
3. True,
4. Thankyou. A bit of an exageration. We let them come at us too much, and didn't tackle fast. But yeah, we defended well
5. Beckham hasn't played football for 6 weeks... The fact that he scored a penalty, and nobody else managed to score at all kinda negates your "wussie" claim, no?
6. They didn't play well, but it can't have been birds, it was an indoor stadium.
7. Too late.
8. Yeah, I'd laugh.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:13   #105
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by axi
Err, Gianni, you are confusing me. You are of Spanish-Italian origin, have USA nationality and live in Buenos Aires. Right?[/b]
I am a mix. My mom is Spanish, my dad is Italian. And I was born in Spain. USA Nationality? Yup. And I live in Buenos Aires.. Odd isn't it?

Quote:

I was under the impression that you had returned to the States.
I will when I finish high school in about a year.

Quote:
[b]
Of course you could always be just another stupid kid from Pasadena (the place is random), playing with his alter egos.
No. But I used to live in San Diego some time ago.

Anyways lets talk futbol...
Old June 7, 2002, 21:16   #106
axi
Prince

Quote:
They didn't play well, but it can't have been birds, it was an indoor stadium.
Perhaps they were aiming at some other "birds" among the crowd...
Old June 7, 2002, 21:20   #107
axi
Prince

Quote:
Anyways lets talk futbol...
So which one of the 4 countries do you support most? Which would you support if they played in the 16 phase? (in which all 4 will probably qualify)
Old June 7, 2002, 21:23   #108
ThePantaloonDog
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:07
Location: Baltimore, Maryland but currently in dirty, dirty New London CT
The only thing interesting about that game was the guy from Bermuda shouting obsecenities at the English next to me.

The English are the only people in the world who have terrible self esteem until something goes their way. Then they prance around like little cocky turds all day long.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:24   #109
reds4ever
Prince

gian,

whats the mood like in BA? are they still optimistic?

the argentians must have been expecting at least a draw?
Old June 7, 2002, 21:24   #110
Giancarlo
King

Reds: I dunno what the mood is. People are pretty pissed off though. They were expecting a win. And no offense I hope England gets it butt kicked by the Nigerians.

Quote:
Originally posted by axi

So which one of the 4 countries do you support most? Which would you support if they played in the 16 phase? (in which all 4 will probably qualify)
Spain. Who I think already qualified for the next round I think.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:30   #111
reds4ever
Prince

non taken! they need a win against a good Swedish team, and we need a draw against a mediocre Nigerian team.

Happy Days!!!!!
Old June 7, 2002, 21:33   #112
Giancarlo
King

Well if Argentina does not win this world cup, spirits will fall even more.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:36   #113
axi
Prince

Spain over Argentina?

Btw, I like Spain alot. I am the only one in my environment who believed in that team from the beggining and they have brought the best results so far. Good offense too. Plus I am really fond of Carles Puyol, even though he scored against his own team yesterday.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:38   #114
reds4ever
Prince

having watched France, it's Italy for me, good strikers, not bad midfield, great defence
Old June 7, 2002, 21:39   #115
Giancarlo
King

Yeah axi, Spain got very good results. 3-1 against Slovenia and Paraguay.

France is close to being kicked out isn't it?

Italy is another safe bet.
Old June 7, 2002, 21:54   #116
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

France need to beat Denmark by two goals to qualify.
Old June 7, 2002, 22:23   #117
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 22:07
Do Argentina count as a race? How can any comment about them be considered racist?

Are all the anti-american people on here racists?
Old June 7, 2002, 22:35   #118
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Do Argentina count as a race? How can any comment about them be considered racist?

Are all the anti-american people on here racists?
you have issues to resolve, my friend

BTW, in answer to your first question, sets and subsets?
Old June 8, 2002, 04:45   #119
JohnIII
Warlord

Local Time: 02:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo
Some of you people should buy a ticket here where I live (Buenos Aires) and start yelling this stuff outside. Haha. Lets see how long you last.

Maradona is going to cause a lot of problems for other teams... he is like the backbone of the Argentine team.
Yeah, let's hope he does what he did at USA 94 .

IW: it was a dive. There was the faintest of contact, but I think our players must have been so digusted at Rivaldo's derisory fine that they decided diving was the order of the day.
Old June 8, 2002, 05:42   #120
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:07
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

Yay US, but they dont have a chance of winning the WC, so whats all the excitement about?
then we can all undestand when we all cheer togather right?

Yay USA, Yay England!! hey lets hope that somehow we both make it to the last game and America creams England.