Old July 15, 2002, 13:39   #31
royfur
Settler

Local Time: 20:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Venger-

You have got it right. This is NOT for normal bombardment attack- its used when they are attacked by non-bombardment units. I've only used in for mostly more modern units (post Musketmen- those weapons were so slow to load and aim that I figured that the troops would be overrun and in melee combat before they could do more then one shot), however I DID give it to Longbowman. The trick is to not make it too powerful. On the other hand, they only get to use it once, a second attacker "enters" their tile for melee combat without being attacked- unless you have more then one defender with the ability, of course.

With modern units, to reflect the devastitating effect of defensive machine gun fire I gave tanks, Inf., marines/para, etc higher values (2-4) with a rate of fire of 2 or for MA and MI, 3.

It IS a Genius idea, but I cannot take the credit. I first saw it proposed by Proteous over on civFanatics. He deserves the credit. He used fairly higher values, but he also modded hit points up considerably- they balanced out.

Good luck and have fun.

Civ on!
Old July 15, 2002, 13:43   #32
royfur
Settler

Local Time: 20:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Venger, one other thing-

You can also do this with Naval units as well, for example, tired of your CV (carrier) being wasted by galleys? GIve the CV a 8 bombardment factor (maybe 6 or 4??) with Zero range, and let that galley try to close and attack the CV. I don't think so!

Civ on.