Old June 8, 2002, 02:22   #1
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nanogirl
The only really interesting thing I have seen about RON so far was a bit and photo of Nanogirl. Supposed to be a top flight Starcraft player. Hired to balance multiplay.

Or just more eyecandy?

Could be an interesting story.

Inquiring minds want to know more.
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2002, 10:03   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 22:10
Re: Nanogirl
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
The only really interesting thing I have seen about RON so far was a bit and photo of Nanogirl. Supposed to be a top flight Starcraft player. Hired to balance multiplay.

Or just more eyecandy?

Could be an interesting story.

Inquiring minds want to know more.
The engine is revamped AoE2. The top developer is none other than Brian Reynolds. Nanogirl a Starcraft veteran. The publisher: Microsoft.

This could be the greatest RTS ever!
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2002, 10:05   #3
tniem
King

Re: Re: Nanogirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
The engine is revamped AoE2.
Brian has maintained that it is an entirely new engine that they built, probably started on before the contract with MS so they had no access to that code. I may be wrong but that is what Brian has said.
Old June 8, 2002, 11:05   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Nanogirl
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

Brian has maintained that it is an entirely new engine that they built, probably started on before the contract with MS so they had no access to that code. I may be wrong but that is what Brian has said.
I have seen screenshots of the game: there's no way you can tell me it doesn't at least include *SOME AoE code.

RoN:

Notice the give away 'score' counter in the bottom right corner:

Even the 'flare' button and mini-map are similar/identical to AoE2's.

Not that I am against any of this, since I think the AoE2 engine is a good, stable engine. And of course, it is apparent that the RoN engine will be much better and more advanced, which is evident already in the existing screenshots.

Last edited by Sarxis; June 8, 2002 at 11:24.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2002, 11:39   #5
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i dont think bhg would have any problem to say that they are using the aoe engine. it would actually be a plus to the huge aoe audience....
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2002, 12:09   #6
AnnC
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:10
what he says, what he means...
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick: Inquiring minds want to know more.
Dirty old lecher wants to know more.
AnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2002, 15:55   #7
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Oh Annie. I am indeed intrigued. Is is common in RTS to hire gamers as employees to test and refine gameplay? Thats kind of a neat thing. Maybe a web search will turn something up.
Old June 8, 2002, 16:54   #8
AnnC
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:10
your biases are showing...
It's not unusual for developers to hire veteran gamers to help balance a game's design. Id Software has done it for years.

If the gamer were Nanoboy instead of Nanogirl, I doubt that you'd be "intrigued". And for sure, you wouldn't suggest that Nano's employment at BHG is merely for eyecandy.
AnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2002, 19:40   #9
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Nanoboy was Nanogirl's old boyfriend.

If Brian was a Barbara and hired a Nanoboy, I might suggest the same. Candy is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't follow the development of RTS, maybe is this also common in TBS? For sure they didn't do that with Civ3.
Old June 9, 2002, 23:37   #10
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
i dont think bhg would have any problem to say that they are using the aoe engine. it would actually be a plus to the huge aoe audience....
Exactly that is why I would seem to think that if Brian says that its all new, it probably is. Yes the buttons look similar but so did SimGolf and The Sims. That had no code that would have been similar, just a similar look and feel so that people would not have to relearn certain things.

It would seem to be beneficial to say that the code is based on AoK and is a refined more strategic version in terms of hype, pr, and marketing. That alone would sell a ton of copies and MS and BHG would be nuts to not say that many times if it was the same code.
Old June 10, 2002, 21:55   #11
Psycho Billy
Settler

I'm wondering why some people think that
similar/identical artistic styles = similar/identical code
??

Could/Would you take this logic a few steps further and say that all 3D games use the same engine? I doubt it...

[My $0.02]
Psycho Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2002, 22:21   #12
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Billy
??
Exactly. It is not that I doubt that BHG couldn't have used AoK's code since they are of the same publisher but if they dont hype that, then it probably is a new code. But it would still make sense to you use a similar look and feel since MS is both games publishers. The same look is just a good idea in terms of marketing and gamers familiarity. People are more likely to play and buy something they are familiar with than go out on a limb. So looking at screen shots with the same menus as AoK is just a good marketing thing.

Not to mention, isn't AoM supposed to be full 3D. So if BHG were going to use an updated AoK code than they would already be way behind Ensemblem's new game and code. So it just doesn't make sense for them to use old code when AoM will be out sooner.
Old June 11, 2002, 00:08   #13
One_Dead_Villy
Prince

yes ...u can only program an RTS interface in just so many ways...besides which the look and feel of the game is OWNED (although i am not sure the exact terms of their publishing agreement but) by microsoft as they are the publishers of both games. but chances are microsoft was careful about having some kind of free use of elements of any software they deal with, thats just the way they operate. and thus they would probably make RON have a similar look and feel since microsoft has an extensive ergonomics and playtesting division.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:55   #14
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Quote:
??
yes,i was wondering that too.i was going to say they just use that ''look'' because its tried and proven-to-be-good,but you guys beat me to it.by weeks

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Kataphraktoi is offline   Reply With Quote