Old June 9, 2002, 16:44   #61
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
*Lurks and looks around*

I'll go for President.

*Lurks off*

Old June 9, 2002, 16:56   #62
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i think a culture minister is not important.

first off, i hate culture. there i said it.
[/b]

That is a great reason why need a culture minister. SOMEBODY needs to be a culture proponent.

Quote:
[b]secondly, i believe the whole "border system" culture creates would be handled by the city planner. if we need big borders fast he'll demand we build temples and libraries.

i see no point in a culture minister. presuade me.
Well, for one thing, there is one in the game. I don't if that matters to people here, but at CFC tons of arguments came up as a result of in game things that have no real bearing on the game, like whether or not pop-rushing is ethical, etc. Culture is an important part of any empire, it is more than just borders, though they are important too. The culture minister looks over the culture of not just a city or a province, but of the entire nation. A strong culture prevents culture-flips against, promotes culture-flips against and helps in negotiations. At CFC, a Cultural Assault Program was started up in order to capture enemy border cities without war. A culture department is important when the funds are divided, so as to ensure there is money for rushing cultural imkprovements in new cities that are highly corrupt. True, there is some overlap with the Domestic Minister, but their roles are different. The domestic advisor may order units, etc, that the cultural minister would never build. It's a voice for the peace-niks, if you will. The military advisor and foreign affairs minister will overlap, but you still need both of them.

BTW, sorry for always talking about CFC demogame, but I can think of no better frame of reference, at least for me, as it's the only demogame I've ever played.
Old June 9, 2002, 17:00   #63
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How ministries that need to take care of lots of units, like the military or the public works ones will work?

Will the president be given a detailed list of units and their moves? Or will the ministers play this part of the game by themselves? Or will they only give general objectives and the president will decide on the small movement matters?
Old June 9, 2002, 17:03   #64
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:12
Giving general objectives is what has been used in the civ2 democracy game and it seems to work well. Overly specified orders would eventually get to be a hassle.
Old June 9, 2002, 17:42   #65
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 21:12
urr... don't we need an Intelligence guy? person in charge of getting some espionage done for us? just suggesting a new position is all. or is someone else taking care of it?
Old June 9, 2002, 17:50   #66
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 04:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
How ministries that need to take care of lots of units, like the military or the public works ones will work?

Will the president be given a detailed list of units and their moves? Or will the ministers play this part of the game by themselves? Or will they only give general objectives and the president will decide on the small movement matters?
As ixnay sayd. Generat objectivs. IE, send 10 workers to build a road to that Salpetre resource to junction a road on a specific tile. Or something would be more then enough. The PW minister should mostly just assign the Workers to different project. The projects could be worked out together with other ministers, or on his own behalf (if there is less things to do).

He also needs to cooperate with the minitary advisor for worker protection.
Old June 9, 2002, 17:52   #67
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
Well, for one thing, there is one in the game. I don't if that matters to people here, but at CFC tons of arguments came up as a result of in game things that have no real bearing on the game, like whether or not pop-rushing is ethical, etc. Culture is an important part of any empire, it is more than just borders, though they are important too. The culture minister looks over the culture of not just a city or a province, but of the entire nation. A strong culture prevents culture-flips against, promotes culture-flips against and helps in negotiations. At CFC, a Cultural Assault Program was started up in order to capture enemy border cities without war. A culture department is important when the funds are divided, so as to ensure there is money for rushing cultural imkprovements in new cities that are highly corrupt. True, there is some overlap with the Domestic Minister, but their roles are different. The domestic advisor may order units, etc, that the cultural minister would never build. It's a voice for the peace-niks, if you will. The military advisor and foreign affairs minister will overlap, but you still need both of them.
Yes, I wanted to add a minister of human rights to the poll on them just for this sake, but decided that as it hadn't beed discussed I shouldn't do so.

However one can debate on wether it is right to Draft/Poprush or use Slave workers.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:32   #68
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

The minister of imperial expansion is not in charge of distant city's.

All internal city management should be conducted by the city planner while the imperial expansion is in charge of new city placement and infrastructure.

A public works minister is not needed as worker management is done by city planner and imperial expansion.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:35   #69
Ninot
Emperor

oh yeah, how long till we expect elections for ministries under contention?

this is fun.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:36   #70
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
A public works minister is not needed as worker management is done by city planner and imperial expansion.
When you build a road to a foreign country, or build fortesses on the front? the PW minister is to make sure that the Workers are distrubuted correctly between the different ministers needing them for their duties.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:39   #71
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:12
can be Naval advisor? I'd just like to be incharge of ships, and like to ask if i can have 1 nuke per nuclear sub. To make them very good weapons!

I also propose that nukes are only fired after either:
1. The president says so
2. Three of these advisors agree to fire one (Impirial advisor, militery advisor, Foreign advisor!)
3. Any enviromental advisor can pleed to the hole government to hault this action!
Old June 9, 2002, 18:40   #72
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

I suggest with things like deviding money and workers between de different tasks we let the ministers file their reports with the president and let him decide.

After all, the role of the president should be more then playing the game physicly.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:42   #73
atawa
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
can be Naval advisor? I'd just like to be incharge of ships, and like to ask if i can have 1 nuke per nuclear sub. To make them very good weapons!

I also propose that nukes are only fired after either:
1. The president says so
2. Three of these advisors agree to fire one (Impirial advisor, militery advisor, Foreign advisor!)
3. Any enviromental advisor can pleed to the hole government to hault this action!
Its going to take a long time till we get to nukes, better make decissions on that subject when we get there.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:45   #74
Ninot
Emperor

yeah.. about the navy thing

Couldn't we have different military advisors to aid the Secretary of Defense? like a commander for each theatre of war, and commanders for land air and see for each of those theatres?

how complex will our military be, is what I am asking? but i guess that is not a regime question, ooops.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:50   #75
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
yeah.. about the navy thing

Couldn't we have different military advisors to aid the Secretary of Defense? like a commander for each theatre of war, and commanders for land air and see for each of those theatres?

how complex will our military be, is what I am asking? but i guess that is not a regime question, ooops.
We need a supreme commander. However, we could of cource have people under that one.
Old June 9, 2002, 19:19   #76
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

So who magages gold distribution? The trade advisor or the Prez?
Old June 9, 2002, 19:19   #77
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

[EDIT]Nevermind. [/EDIT]

Last edited by Jon Shafer; June 9, 2002 at 19:33.
Old June 9, 2002, 19:30   #78
Ninot
Emperor

Will Historian be a role unaffected by term or election? just asking

oh yeah, I nominate HazieDaVampire for Historian
Old June 9, 2002, 19:33   #79
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

do you want to run for VP panag?
hi ,

only if you go for "P" ,......

what ya say , ....

have a nice night
Old June 9, 2002, 19:38   #80
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

edited first post again. i now have some competition for military advisor.
Old June 9, 2002, 19:48   #81
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

we need a VP... and a description of what the VP should do...
Old June 9, 2002, 19:51   #82
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

If there is not going to be CUlture Minister, then I'd like to run for City Planner (though I'm going to cal it Domestic Advisor )
Old June 9, 2002, 19:55   #83
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'll put you down as city planner. if we create the office of Cultural Minister you can run later on
Old June 9, 2002, 19:57   #84
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
we need a VP... and a description of what the VP should do...
hi ,

just like what a VP would do in the real world , ....

allas , to end it here , count it as a go , .....
combined with the job of military advisor , second in command , ....

have a nice day / night
Old June 9, 2002, 19:58   #85
Jon Shafer

In the unfortunate death of the President, the VP will take over.
Old June 9, 2002, 20:09   #86
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
In the unfortunate death of the President, the VP will take over.
hi ,

that is of course if the VP does not get it first , ....

there should be a militery advisor for the navy , one for the army , and one for the airforce , on top there should be the leader of the armed forces , and his "vice" , ...

have a nice night , ....
Old June 9, 2002, 20:10   #87
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

and someone should be in charge of the intel , espionage , ....

have a nice day
Old June 9, 2002, 20:13   #88
Jon Shafer

I think once the military matters get more... busy, then we can split it into different departments. Right now, I don't think the Minister of the Air Force would do much!
Old June 9, 2002, 21:03   #89
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:12
I'll go for VP
Old June 9, 2002, 21:29   #90
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

u're added