Old June 8, 2002, 23:34   #1
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interface tweaks
Here are a couple of interface tweaks that would be very helpful IMO.

When I'm planning where to build my next city, I want to make sure that my city's radius doesn't overlap, or doesn't overlap too much with another city's. Two simple interface tweaks would, I believe, make this process much more fast and intuitive. Exactly what we need, btw, for the new turnless mode.

(1) This one has been mentionned before, but it's worth repeating. It would be nice if there was a a way to display city radiuses on the main screen. A keyboard shortcut could do the trick: if you press Ctrl-C, for example, all the city radiuses appear on the main screen; if you press Ctrl-C again, they all disappear. (BTW, I think it should only display the potential city radius, not the actual one. So even if a city has an actual 9 tile radius, the game should display it's potential 21 tile city radius.)

(2) It would also be nice if there was a new settler order, the "Goto, then build city" order. When you give a settler this order, a big X-shaped cursor appears, a cursor that has the exact shape and size of the 21 tile city radius. You then move the cursor around in search of a good place to build a city. Moreover, if city radiuses are displayed on the main screen, figuring out where to build your next city becomes a piece of cake. When you find the right spot, you click on it. The settler will go there and build a city.

(3) I have made this last suggestion before, but I think that it's worth repeating. I would like to have more multiple orders for workers. As of now, we only have the "build road to, then colonize" (Ctrl-B) order. But I can think of other ones. Here are some examples: (a) build road to, then build Mine; (b) build road to, then irrigate; (c) goto, then build mine; (d) goto, then build mine, then build road. The most elegant solution, of course, would be to implement a unit order queue. But if that is too difficult to implement, I would gladly accept a new set of shortcut keys!
Old June 8, 2002, 23:44   #2
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 21:13
I agree with the first idea. Sure, I know, we can count and all, but it just being there would make such a task, which making easier shouldn't effect gameplay, easier.

As to the second idea, the settler SHOULDN'T create the city if anything in that 21 tile radius is effected by another civ, that way other civs can't screw you over without you noticing.

For the third idea, I think the only feasible ones would be the "build road to, and then mine/irrigate." The others would just complicate things too much.
Old June 9, 2002, 01:45   #3
ranskaldan
Prince

First idea is really good, and should be included in the next patch.

Second one - i think the current system works fine. Have the settler get there by himself, and when he arrives, you confirm that he builds a city.

Third one - ctrl+whateverkey can be used to symbolise build road plus whatever that key represents. This should also be in the next patch.
Old June 9, 2002, 02:47   #4
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO

As to the second idea, the settler SHOULDN'T create the city if anything in that 21 tile radius is effected by another civ, that way other civs can't screw you over without you noticing.
Well, I assume that when you use the "goto, then build city" order, the settler doesn't built the city automatically. He asks for your confirmation first. So if you find out that there is funny business going on, you can call off the order. And, of course, you can also call it off before the settler arrives at destination.
Old June 9, 2002, 04:04   #5
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan

Second one - i think the current system works fine. Have the settler get there by himself, and when he arrives, you confirm that he builds a city.
The only significant difference between the "goto, then build city" order and the current system is the city radius shaped cursor. And this cursor could prove to be a very helpful tool when planning where to build a city, especially when combined with my first suggestion.
(BTW, the settler doesn't build the city automatically: he asks for a confirmation first.)
Old June 9, 2002, 12:51   #6
ranskaldan
Prince

If the settler asks for a confirmation, then what is the difference between the current system and the new one?

Current system:
1)Move settler over.
2)Settler arrives by himself.
3)Command settler to build city.
4)City built.

New system:
1)Move settler, command to build city.
2)Settler arrives by himself.
3)Settler asks for confirmation, player confirms it.
4)City built.

edit:
alright, i didn't see your point about the cityradius shaped cursor.

In fact, I think that if you press a hotkey, you should be able to see the city radius wherever your cursor goes. I think that would be more helpful.
Old June 9, 2002, 13:35   #7
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan

alright, i didn't see your point about the cityradius shaped cursor.

In fact, I think that if you press a hotkey, you should be able to see the city radius wherever your cursor goes. I think that would be more helpful.
Good idea. Or how about this: when you use the "goto" order while using a settler, the normal cursor appears (the circle with a number representing the distance in it ), surrounded with an outline of a full city radius. Btw, something like this is already in the game. When you send your FIRST settler somewhere (using the goto order) the normal "goto" cursor appears, surrounded by the outline of a limited, 9 tile city radius. I don't know why, but this only works for the first settler. Moreover, if think it should display the full 21 tile city radius, not the 9 tile one.
Old June 12, 2002, 22:47   #8
Nostromo
Emperor

Here's another tweak. I would like to be able to display, on the main map, the information found in the city screen's ressource map. Why? Each time you don't know where to send your worker next, you have to open the city screen and consult the ressource map. The ressource map, of course, tells you what square is being worked on and what ressources is being derived from it. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way of accessing this information WITHOUT having to open the city screen? Again, a keyboard shortcut could do the trick.
Old June 13, 2002, 09:13   #9
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by nostromo

Good idea. Or how about this: when you use the "goto" order while using a settler, the normal cursor appears (the circle with a number representing the distance in it ), surrounded with an outline of a full city radius. Btw, something like this is already in the game. When you send your FIRST settler somewhere (using the goto order) the normal "goto" cursor appears, surrounded by the outline of a limited, 9 tile city radius. I don't know why, but this only works for the first settler. Moreover, if think it should display the full 21 tile city radius, not the 9 tile one.
hi ,

it does not ONLY work with the first , from time to time , it works with others aswell , ..

have a nice day
Old June 13, 2002, 11:46   #10
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

As the interface stands I have some beefs:

Theres no way to 'see' on the map what city is being selected in a diplomacy/go to city dialog. I never remember city name, I just know 'that city that is next to that city on the ocean'

Also I dont think you can back out of the Ctrl+shft+g without choosing a city. Sometimes Im doodling around with the wrong hot key and end up having to send a some worker that is someplace I dont know to a city somewhere I cant locate.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 13, 2002, 13:52   #11
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

it does not ONLY work with the first , from time to time , it works with others aswell , ..

have a nice day
I'm not talking about the outline of a city radius that surrounds the SETTLER when he stops somewhere; I'm talking about the outline of a city radius that surrounds the GOTO CURSOR (the circle with a number representing the distance in it) and follows it around. Are you saying that, everytime you use the goto order with a settler, there is a city radius surrounding the goto cursor? If so, it's weird... For my part, it only works for the first settler. Afterwards, I only get the normal goto cursor.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:04   #12
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
As the interface stands I have some beefs:

Theres no way to 'see' on the map what city is being selected in a diplomacy/go to city dialog. I never remember city name, I just know 'that city that is next to that city on the ocean'

Also I dont think you can back out of the Ctrl+shft+g without choosing a city. Sometimes Im doodling around with the wrong hot key and end up having to send a some worker that is someplace I dont know to a city somewhere I cant locate.
I never use "Go to city". There is a "Locate city" keyboard shortcut, however. It's Shift-L. I never tried it, but it could be useful.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:52   #13
Nostromo
Emperor

O.K, here are some other tweaks ...

- It seems to me that a "Irrigate to" order would be more useful than the actual "Irrigate to nearest city". As I envision it, the "Irrigate to" order would work just like the "Build road to" order. The main advantage of "Irrigate to" over "Irrigate to nearest city" is that you can specify the destination of your worker.

- This one has been mentionned before. When you want to build something, you click on the icon in the production box and a production list appears. It would be really, really convenient if the items in that list where linked to the Civilopedia. This way, if you don't remember what wonder x does, you can easily check it up in the Civilopedia.
Old June 18, 2002, 04:56   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I'm not talking about the outline of a city radius that surrounds the SETTLER when he stops somewhere; I'm talking about the outline of a city radius that surrounds the GOTO CURSOR (the circle with a number representing the distance in it) and follows it around. Are you saying that, everytime you use the goto order with a settler, there is a city radius surrounding the goto cursor? If so, it's weird... For my part, it only works for the first settler. Afterwards, I only get the normal goto cursor.
hi ,

it works with other settlers aswell , sometimes it goes in the "border" , sometimes not , ....
it goes sometimes next to a tile that has the fog of war , given that the place you want him to is not in the fog , ...

most of the times it goes , about 60 % , ...

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; June 20, 2002 at 17:38.
Old June 18, 2002, 15:34   #15
dunk
Prince

I like the Goto and build city for settlers.

I would like to see city radii, both on the main map and also with the settler goto. And I think the 21 tile radius is more appropriate than the 9 tile radius.

What I would like to see for workers...

1) Draw what you want in terms of improvements around a city. I want a mine on these tiles, roads here and there, and irrigation on this tile.

2) Make a queue for your cities or have them at even priority (workers will split up and improve all of your cities simultaneously).

3) Workers will do all of it on their own. But they won't be deciding what goes where.

Alternative...

Editable settings for each terrain type. For plains, I want irrigation, road, rail and so on for each type. That way, I can automate my workers and not have to fix the mistakes they make.
Old June 18, 2002, 15:42   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
I like the Goto and build city for settlers.

I would like to see city radii, both on the main map and also with the settler goto. And I think the 21 tile radius is more appropriate than the 9 tile radius.

What I would like to see for workers...

1) Draw what you want in terms of improvements around a city. I want a mine on these tiles, roads here and there, and irrigation on this tile.

2) Make a queue for your cities or have them at even priority (workers will split up and improve all of your cities simultaneously).

3) Workers will do all of it on their own. But they won't be deciding what goes where.

Alternative...

Editable settings for each terrain type. For plains, I want irrigation, road, rail and so on for each type. That way, I can automate my workers and not have to fix the mistakes they make.
hi ,

sometimes the 21 tile square shows , sometime the 9 , ... it depends , ...wheter or not within the empire , any civ that is nextdoor , ...

have a nice day
Old June 18, 2002, 16:57   #17
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999

Draw what you want in terms of improvements around a city. I want a mine on these tiles, roads here and there, and irrigation on this tile.
Close Combat had something like this. It would be great, I agree. Unfortunately, it will not happen, not in PTW anyway. That's why I proposed a set of new combined worker orders.
Old June 18, 2002, 17:07   #18
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

it works with other settlers aswell , sometimes it goes in the "border" , sometimes not , ....
it goes sometimes nect to a tile that has the fog of war , given that the place you want him to is not in the fog , ...

most of the times it goes , about 60 % , ...

have a nice day
Yes, you're right. Sometimes, it appears; most of the times, its not there. I have not, as of yet, grasped the logic behind its appearances. I don't know if you would agree with me, but it's not very useful as it is right now. It would be much more useful, IMO, if it always displayed the 21-tile city radius.
Old June 20, 2002, 16:21   #19
dunk
Prince

No, it always show the initial city radius. You get a box around your settler showing what the cultural boundries of that town will be when you plop his backpack down and found the city.

When you're close to another of your cities, the radius is altered and may have more than 9 tiles.
Old June 20, 2002, 17:41   #20
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, you're right. Sometimes, it appears; most of the times, its not there. I have not, as of yet, grasped the logic behind its appearances. I don't know if you would agree with me, but it's not very useful as it is right now. It would be much more useful, IMO, if it always displayed the 21-tile city radius.
hi ,

yes it should show , 21 tiles inside your nation , 9 outside , or a mix when you are on the border and there is no civ next to it , ....
they could do it like , right or left click with a mouse , ...

have a nice day
Old June 21, 2002, 19:30   #21
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:13
As long as we're talking about interface tweaks when is Firaxis going to fix the diplomatic interface? The game can be played with 16 civs but I can only see eight of them in the Diplomacy window. This problem needs to be addressed...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 21, 2002, 19:36   #22
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
As long as we're talking about interface tweaks when is Firaxis going to fix the diplomatic interface? The game can be played with 16 civs but I can only see eight of them in the Diplomacy window. This problem needs to be addressed...
hi ,

yep , there should be an option , either an arrow , to the next eight , or a different screen , with small boxes , and when you click you see the face , or a smaller face , or no face in the who as a deal with who screen , ...

have a nice day
Old June 21, 2002, 20:36   #23
Nostromo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Yes, this should definitively be fixed in PTW.