View Poll Results: What Positions Should be in.
President 52 10.46%
Vice-president 47 9.46%
Science Advisor 50 10.06%
Foreign Advisor 50 10.06%
Millitary Advisor 50 10.06%
Trade Advisor 43 8.65%
City Planner 44 8.85%
Impirial Expansion 34 6.84%
Historian 49 9.86%
Public Works Minister 34 6.84%
Environmental Minister 15 3.02%
Financial Minister 29 5.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 9, 2002, 08:37   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 04:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Minister Posts
Which of the currently suggested minister posts are you for. (Note, this poll is just to see if any posts are not needed. Final dicision will be taken later)

These are the posts to vote for.

President (Physically Plays the Game)
Vice-president
Science Advisor (Decides what advances to go for)
Foreign Advisor (Manages Diplomacy)
Millitary Advisor (Conducts War, Stratey)
Trade Advisor (Controls Trade with Other Civs)
City Planner (Manages Cities)
Impirial Expansion (Founds New Cities)
Historian (Logs all inportant info and such)
Public Works Minister(Manages Workers)
Environmental Minister (Battles Global warming and polution)
Financial Minister (Distrubuates the Income on Science, Luxery and Taxes as well as assigning money to different Ministers)

(Sorry, no Banana Minister)

Note that the result of this poll is just to help the planning out.

Timeout: 5 days.
Old June 9, 2002, 09:08   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:13
Post your thoughts too!

All except for Trade, Environment (what a joke THAT position would be ) and Finance.

Trade is covered by Foreign Affairs and the tax rate covered by the Science Minister (via the science rate, duh ). Finance may be a good idea, and if we need this or further Ministers (eg a happiness minister - maybe Minister of the Arts?), we can always vote them in when and as they are needed.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 9, 2002, 10:03   #3
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:13
Everything but Environmental Minister. It's useless.
Old June 9, 2002, 10:22   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i didnt vote for public works minister. i would like that position filled by the city planner.
Old June 9, 2002, 10:29   #5
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:13
Did not vote because of lack of experience in this kind of game but my intuition tells me to have limit the number of posts (unless you love meetings and lengthy debates of course).
Old June 9, 2002, 10:35   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i didnt vote for public works minister. i would like that position filled by the city planner.

Perhaps, uber, but it is of such a role in Civ3 that it might be necessary to have a separate position (of course they have nothing to do in the beginning).

Old June 9, 2002, 10:36   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i suppose. we shall see how the poll turns out.
Old June 9, 2002, 10:37   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:13
Environmental is useless. And the Public Works may be managed by the City Planner.

One interesting addition: Intelligence Minister (deals with espionage and other assorted things).
Old June 9, 2002, 10:43   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

We can always vote for new positions when we need them. Espionage would be a token position for the first term or two in office.

Flexibility people! No need to overcomplicate things from day one!

Old June 9, 2002, 10:59   #10
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 22:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Environmental is useless. And the Public Works may be managed by the City Planner.

One interesting addition: Intelligence Minister (deals with espionage and other assorted things).
I believe that would fall under 'Foreign Affairs'.
Old June 9, 2002, 11:48   #11
Juliennew
Warlord

Financial minister has too much power in the balance
Let the ministers of trade and science debate what to do and let the citizens vote for that
Let public works for the city planner
Same thing for environmental
You know, i don't think too much administratives stuff is good for a democracy. I'm french and my country is suffering of this ;-))
Old June 9, 2002, 11:52   #12
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

I think we should have governors, once we have around ten cities. WE should start splitting cities into groups of 5-10 cities and have governor for each province. This will take care of the problem of workers' orders and city queues.
Old June 9, 2002, 12:23   #13
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
I think we should have governors, once we have around ten cities. WE should start splitting cities into groups of 5-10 cities and have governor for each province. This will take care of the problem of workers' orders and city queues.
What about the city planner?
Old June 9, 2002, 12:26   #14
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

The problem is that Public works are more then improving the Cities, so I don't think that should be put on to governors or Cityplanner, however, they should be able toy request improvements in their area of controll. Still lots of things to do before we know what the positions will be.
However, the positions suggested are only suggestions, and the exact description, and duties for them still has to be drawn up.
Old June 9, 2002, 14:21   #15
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Who didn't vote President?
Old June 9, 2002, 14:22   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Who didn't vote President?

come on, admit it!
Old June 9, 2002, 16:25   #17
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm One interesting addition: Intelligence Minister (deals with espionage and other assorted things).
Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000 I believe that would fall under 'Foreign Affairs'.
Ops, sorry. I did not see that Minister post.
Old June 9, 2002, 16:51   #18
Space05us
King

I say everything except environmental and Financial ministers.
Old June 9, 2002, 18:00   #19
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:13
i propose we have 3 different partys, each party has a prime minister, and the prime minister apoints ministers of all them different things. of course people can split and make their own party!
Old June 9, 2002, 20:03   #20
jdd2007
NationStates
King

why not have as many positions as possible?
Old June 9, 2002, 20:05   #21
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Because including positions that don't help us only make things more cluttered and inefficient. Without that kind of policy, then we could have "Minister of Animals" or something like that.
Old June 10, 2002, 00:59   #22
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Two suggestions: 1) for easier administration, would individual city governors (or district governors for areas with lotsa small cities) be practical? it would give more people an opportunity to participate, but it would create massive delays. scared 2) minister of culture b/c culture is now such a massive part of civ (though i'm not sure what he/she would do)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 10, 2002, 02:59   #23
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Chandragupta
Two suggestions: 1) for easier administration, would individual city governors (or district governors for areas with lotsa small cities) be practical? it would give more people an opportunity to participate, but it would create massive delays. scared 2) minister of culture b/c culture is now such a massive part of civ (though i'm not sure what he/she would do)
On 1 well have to wait until we have >5 cities for deciding on that one. Possibly the Cityplanner could have governors under him in his office.

On 2 I think that too, however, nobody had suggested that post when I made the poll.
Old June 10, 2002, 09:22   #24
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:13
NO GOVERNORS!!!

See all AAAC arguments in the civ2 game, in sum, htey overorganize it and take out some of the fun!

The minister of culture would have little to do. THe person most n charge of culture would probably be the city planner

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 10, 2002, 09:56   #25
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Emperial expansion and Public works should be included in the City Planners duties.

I don't see what the Environmental minister shall do.

Finances should be duties of the Pres/VP.

All other posts are fine with me.
Old June 10, 2002, 09:57   #26
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I don't see what the Environmental minister shall do.
ask IW, he wants to protect the Jungle if he gets to that post.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:22   #27
Captain
King

Trade Advisor is already under Foreign Minister

The following four positions can be summed up with Internal Affairs/Domestic Advisor:
City Planner
Impirial Expansion
Public Works Minister
Environmental Minister
Basically he/she takes care of managing cities and infrastructure (terrain tiles).

Financial Minister - not sure if this should be separate from domestic but maybe should be to prevent too much power in 1 position.
Decides policies regarding rush-building, science funding, treasury maintenance (incl. trades)...

All other positions are good.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:25   #28
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I also recommend creation of a 'Reporter' position that explains and lays out what has happened in the game for us.
Old June 10, 2002, 14:28   #29
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I also recommend creation of a 'Reporter' position that explains and lays out what has happened in the game for us.
This might be a job for the VP as he has little to do right now.
Old June 10, 2002, 15:16   #30
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:13
the Imp advisor has to fix liberated citys that are far away, thats probubly gunna be islands off the coast of another continent, and front line citys (newly captured/citys under heavy seige).

Foreign advisors kinda gunna act like an Embassidor, telling the prez, and the people how he thinks the other civs will react, and is gunna use quite a bit of money to survay citys.

An enviromentalist minister is gunna try to think up other ways to get the same result for a city, other than chopping down 200square miles of forest and building mines and forts in it! (He'd probubly tell you to build another city in a place with no forests, and use it to build things instead of that other city. And leave the forest alone cuz it slows down incoming armys!)

Domestic minister (home secutery) deals with citys in the homeland, polution problems, and newly captured citys that are so far from the front line that the imperial minister is going to have to much work. (polution problems means any polution thats broken out, and alocating workers to clean it up!).