Old June 10, 2002, 03:39   #1
Rew
Settler

Local Time: 20:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Post-War Relationships With Other Rulers?
After a war, and another ruler is furious with me, is there any way to improve his mood toward me?

In my current game, I've been at war with every civ except one, and with the exception of that one, they're all furious at me. I've tried gifts, lots of trading, etc, but they stay furious. I know that razing cities and using their workers as slave labor has adverse effects on your standing with the rest of the world, but otherwise, does anyone have any advice for me? :P

I apologize if something similar has been asked and answered, I couldn't find it in the 'help' forums.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2002, 05:43   #2
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How long since the war ended? That's the biggest factor in determining if they grow to like you after war. You can't simply 'buy' their friendship
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
zulu9812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2002, 16:39   #3
Rew
Settler

About 1,500 years :P
Old June 10, 2002, 16:55   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:16
trading could do some good, don't break any ongoing treaties. Just be nice to him/her, they will come around eventually.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2002, 11:50   #5
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 21:16
They're very tempermental, anytime you cause a war they seem to get madder and madder at you....how bad were you during the war? sounds like you were pretty bad...
Old June 12, 2002, 02:39   #6
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 18:16
Re: Post-War Relationships With Other Rulers?
Quote:
Originally posted by Rew
After a war, and another ruler is furious with me, is there any way to improve his mood toward me?
Sometimes no. Most of the time trade will help. Gifts will help.

Not much will help if you have earned a bad reputation which I suspect that you have. If you break treaties you will make enemies. If you attack a civ and force it too accept a crippling treaty and then attack it again while the treaty is still active they don't exactly have any reason to ever trust you again.

Yeah I have some advice. Keep your treaties. Get the AI to start the wars. Make MPP aggreements with other civs that you want to join in your wars. Be carefull with MPPs of course but they are very usefull.

Of course if you have a big lead the other civs are not likely to kindly on you no matter what you do. Just as in face to face board game they know they must take you down a notch or two if they are to have a chance to win themselves.
Ethelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2002, 03:23   #7
Rew
Settler

Thank you for the replies everyone :P

No, I've never broken a treaty, just razed a few cities and used captured workers. I haven't demanded anything from my opponents to end wars, just treaty for treaty.
Old June 12, 2002, 08:58   #8
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 21:16
Well I think razing cities and capturing workers is deemed bad in the AIs book. I try to avoid it unless Im destroying the civ and the city is worthless.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2002, 08:10   #9
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 03:16
No matter what you do the AI will never forget, even if milleniums have passed. Furthermore, sometimes when you a mutual protection pact with somebody you might find yourself declaring a war that you never wanted. The AI cannot analyze such a fact or others like it and it takes a black or white position which isn't the smartest thing.

Last edited by The Pioneer; June 17, 2002 at 08:17.
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2002, 19:39   #10
Colonel Rhombus
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:16
I have most of the rest of the world furious with me in my most recent game. I had a poor start--getting boxed in by my numerous neighbours--and only had enough space to build about 6 or 7 overlapping cities. I felt that time was of the essence so I embarked upon a series of short wars for the next 1000 - 1500 years (I didn't keep count) that involved snatching two or three cities and then suing for peace. Unless the AI has changed since Civ2, lots of little wars do more damage to your reputation than a handful of big ones. After many centuries of peace and gifts for no result, I fear that nobody will warm to me now.