Old June 20, 2002, 02:07   #31
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 13:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
When the shooting stopped, the commandos spread out and searched the room they were in. It was rectangular in shape, with several other elevators along the walls. There were a number of corridors branching out from the room, and the machinery surrounding them indicated that they could sealed off with blast doors when neccesary. In the middle of the room was a large square hole, and looking down it one could tell that it was some kind of heavy equipment elevator platform. As they moved around the room they heard a grinding sound from the heavy elevator. Decimus looked down into the shaft.

"Colonel, the elevator is coming up again. I guess we can expect something to be happening reasonably soon."

Julius nodded. "Very well, let's go. Keep looking through here for what what we came to find."

He and the others loped off towards the nearest door and down the corridor.

They ran down it for about 50 metres, noting a number of sealed doors along the sides. At the end was a T-junction.

Julius looked both ways down the junction and saw nobody. then he heard a loud *THUMP* From back down the corridor. He and his squad spun around and saw that the elevator had now reached the top. And it carried at least two squads of guards... as did, it seemed, the other elevators whose doors pinged open almost simaltaneously.

"Oh ****!" Julius whispered. He knew that his team could probably win this - hell, they hadn't exactly had much trouble with the 60+ guards around the entry bunker - but it was going to involve quite a few casualties on his side. Besides, there would probably be more turning up as well.

He shrugged slightly. In the final analysis, the only thing that mattered here was their mission. They could defeat these guards, and they would. Then they would finish the mission.

He raised his own gun and could see that the others were doing the same around him. Flaccus and Decimus were aiming their grenade launchers and the rest were using their rifles.

"Fire at will." he said softly. An instant later the hallway erupted in gunfire as eight automatic rifles and two grenade launchers fired in unison.
Old June 20, 2002, 02:12   #32
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Adjutant Fletcher, one of Wilcox's assistants, was not a happy man as he hurried through corridors of the underground section. He had just seen one of his best friends executed for delivering bad news, and he was now having to go out and find more bad news, for which he would probably be executed as well. As he was still absorbed in his dilemma, he walked out into the room in which the security guards were massing. He actually didn't notice them until the Romans started shooting, and then he froze in shock.

"What's happening?" he squealed as he looked around. He was, quite frankly, terrified; he wasn't a soldier, his job was to do gopher work for Colonel Wilcox. His fear was being amply fed by what was happening around him.

His body seemed to unfreeze as he saw the first rocket grenade detonate aboard the equipment elevator, sending shrapnel everywhere. He winced and looked away from the carnage; at least seven guards were dead, horribly dismembered or shattered by the blast, and numerousothers were wounded, many with limbs severed or shrapnel stuck in their bodies. Some would clearly die very soon.

In addition to his mind-blanking terror, Fletcher was also very confused. The guards at this facility were supposed to be some of the best in the country, yet they were being mown down with ease. What was happening?

Julius felt a kind of fierce exultation as he and his squad poured fire into the security squads. Here was something he knew how to do, something that required little more than the automatic reflexes of aim, shoot and dodge. Virtually everything else he did required him to think carefully, but this didn't. He found it refreshing.

Both the guards and the Roman commandos were concentrating so hard on the immediate business of staying alive that none of them noticed the ubiquitus security camera mounted in one of the other corridors.
Old June 20, 2002, 08:16   #33
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
great!! will fletcher have a larger role later?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 20, 2002, 18:27   #34
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Not sure, I'm still working out the details of what happens next.
Old June 24, 2002, 04:51   #35
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

There was no warning for anybody of what was about to happen. As the firefight between the Romans and guards seemed about to end, the heavy blast doors at either end of the corridor ground shut.

"What the hell?" Julius cursed.

Then they saw the ventilation shafts slammed shut as well.

"Uh oh." someone else said.

The catastrophy was completed as some new vents opened in the ceiling and sprayed a thick, colourless gas down into the corridor. Decimus had the bad luck to be standing under one of them and the effect was immediate - his eyes rolled back in his head, his legs gave way and he dropped to the floor as though he had no bones.

"Nerve gas." Marcus whispered in horror.
Old June 26, 2002, 20:24   #36
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 18:16
Don't get me wrong-this is a good story, but I am thinking less and less of it. At first I thought this whole battle was the introduction to the story-the beginning of a war or something. I thought it was a great intro. But now it is kind of droning on and I think this battle is the whole story, and I don't like it nearly as much. But I shouldn't be talking, you write better than I do. Keep up the good work.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 26, 2002, 20:54   #37
ElDiablo
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:16
I think it's great...infiltration and reconnaisance is necessary in any war and seeing one mission go wrong can blow an entire offensive/defensive.
Great job, GeneralTacticus!
"Listen lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, buit I built it all the same just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burnt down, fell over and then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're gonna get, lad, the strongest castle in these isles."
- Swamp King (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Old June 26, 2002, 22:58   #38
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Don't get me wrong-this is a good story, but I am thinking less and less of it. At first I thought this whole battle was the introduction to the story-the beginning of a war or something. I thought it was a great intro. But now it is kind of droning on and I think this battle is the whole story, and I don't like it nearly as much. But I shouldn't be talking, you write better than I do. Keep up the good work.
I'm actually starting to worry about myself. I've been trying to bring the mission bit to an end as fast as possible, so I can move on to the next bit. And btw, this battle isn't the whole story.
Old June 27, 2002, 23:13   #39
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 19:16
Great story! I right stories too (not on apolyton) it is very hard to end something like that
Old June 28, 2002, 12:36   #40
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

If it gets too far out of hand, you might just wanna activate the Doomsday Machine, or something.
Old June 28, 2002, 21:35   #41
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
If it gets too far out of hand, you might just wanna activate the Doomsday Machine, or something.
Seriously, I'm trying to pretty much finish this bit of the story off in one more post. Hopefully it'll be easier now, as the holidays have arrived and I'll have more spare time.
Old July 1, 2002, 19:58   #42
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Fletcher and the guards on the other side breathed a sigh of relief as the doors slammed shut. They were built out of at least a foot of solid metal, there was no way anyone could creak them down. The intruders would die in the sealed corridor.

One of the guards called by radio for medics, and shortly after the base medical unit stepped out of one of the elevators. They unpacked their kit and began examining the surviving guards, deciding which would live, which would die, and easing the pain of those who would not live.

About a minute later everyone in the room jumped as a deafening, hissing blast reverberated across the room. As one, they looked at the blast door. It seemed to have melted in several places and had been greatly weakened. A few seconds later there was another explosion, and the entire door vanished in a cloud of molten metal.

Through the gap came an absolute hailstorm of gunfire. Those standing close by by were shredded, and the others fared little better. Those that could move fast enough fired back, but it did little good; they had no idea where the enemy were, and the rain of bullets made aiming of any kind unbelievably difficult.

Within minutes the American guards were all dead, and the Roman commandos stepped through the shattered doorway. The reason for their curvival was now clear; the builders of the facility had obviously not planned for gas masks. The Roman shots were single now, headshots directed at the medics. They all died swiftly too. One last shot took care of the security camera.

During this time Fletcher had not been idle. He had watched the blast door destroyed and the guards massacred, and when he saw the intruders step into the open, he ran for one of the elevators.

As the Romans finished off the last American medics they looked around and spotted him fleeing. Julius opened fire but Fletcher hurled himself down and slid through the open doors. He stood, hit the bottom floor button then flattened himself against one of the walls next to the doors. The doors slid closed and the elevator descended. Fletcher gave a sigh of relief.

Meanwhile, Julius just shrugged as he watched his target get away.

'You can't get them all.' he murmured.

He and the rest of the squad then took another lift (after blowing out the security camera), following Fletcher down to the bottom floor.

When the elevator reached the bottom, it was greeted by another hail of gunfire, however the doors weren't yet open so it had little effect. Julius hit a button next to the elevator doors to stop them opening, then pulled out another explosive charge. he set it in the middle of the doors and gestured for the other to stand well back. They all flattened themselves against the opposite side of the elevator, and Julius detonated the bomb.

The resultant explosion ripped both doors apart and splattered molten metal across the walls for more than a dozen metres. They heard high-pitched screaming from the other side of the doors as some unfortunate guards were hit, but the Romans' armour protected them. A second later they all started shooting through the ruined doors.

As they did so, they stepped forward, across the elevator. As the heat died away their thermal imaging equipment kicked in and they could see seven guards still alive and moving in the room ahead of them. Seven pinpoint shots later, none still lived.

Having double-checked to make sure there was no-one still alive, they left the elevator and stepped fully out into the room, after having destroyed the camera as per usual. It was very different from the one at the top level. The walls were made of smooth, stainless steel, with a blue tinge, and the area was square. It looked as though the equipment elevator was used most commonly for this level, as there was a stack of supply crates and various paraphenalia nearby. Julius strode over and examined the pile carefully. It consisted mainly of supply crates similar to those in the storage room above ground; there was nothing to be learned from those. The uncrated equipment next to the crates, however, was far more interesting.

There was a large, thick metal shell of some kind, cigar-shaped. It was in two halves, and there was onyl one obvious use for it: the casing for a nuclear bomb. Around it, there were a number of large fuel tanks, suitable for multi-stage rockets, and a small device that, upon closer inspection, turned out to be an ultra-high speed camera - used for recording tests of long-range missiles and nuclear explosives. Julius dutifully recorded all of this on his camera and was turning away when he noticed somthing else amongst the supply crates.

It was a steel briefcase, of a type that had recently come into fashion for wealthy business executives. With a number of heavy combination locks, it was virtually a portable safe... although it's portability meant that it could quite easily be stolen. Julius decided to take advantage of this and picked it up, placing it in the space in his backpack intended to contain stolen items.

Having done so, he looked around at the doors set into the walls of the room. One of them was labelled 'Commander's Office'. The commandos headed straight for it and examined it. It was a metal sliding doors much like all the others they had seen in this section of the facility, and had the ubiquitous keypad set into the wall next to it. The Romans met this with the method they had used twice before; they set thermal explosives on it and stood well back.

The explosives detonated with the same searing heat blast that they had done before, vaporizing much of the doors and leaving the remains either melted or twisted and scattered across the floor. They ran straight through the smoke and heat, guns ready to fire.

Inside they found Colonel Wilcox listening intently as Fletcher gave an account of what had happened. There were no guards in the room, and neither of the two were armed.

'This is almost too easy.' Julius thought, as he and his squad aimed their guns at the two Americans.

"Don't move at all," he barked, "or we will shoot. And we won't shoot to kill immediately; we'll make you suffer first."

Fletcher just gulped and raised his hands, but Wilcox, arrogant as ever, reached for the pistol on his desk. One of the Romans carried out Julius' threat and shot the American Colonel directly between the legs. His eyes bulged and he collapsed to the floor, whimpering.

Having neutralized both of the others in the room, Julius now went over the office in more detail. It contained a number of computer mainframes, no doubt containing useful information, and a large safe which probably served the same purpose. Julius turned to Fletcher.

"What is the code to open the safe, American?" he demanded. Fletcher took a deep breather, glanced at the guns pointed his way and his commander curled up on the floor, then answered.

"635 285 412" he said softly.

"Thanks." Julius replied sarcastically. He strode over to the safe and opened it. Inside it was filled with papers. Julius pulled them all out and slipped them into a folder, before handing them to Marcus, who placed them inside his own backpack. He then shifted his attention to the mainframes. He pulled out a small laser sutter and began slicing through the outer shell of the first one. He cut off one entire side of it, identified the hard drives and cut a few wires before pulling them out and handing them to other members of the team. He reapeated this for all of the other mainframes, then smiled.

"All right team," he said, "we're finished here. Erase the evidence."

On cue, the commandos all opened fire at once. Wilcox was still curled up in his own little world of pain and had no idea what was going on, but Fletcher was already running by the time the Roman trigger fingers tightened. A hail of bullets kicked upspraks around his feet, but none hit him. He sprinted out of the office and into the room the Rommans had come from, and actually managed to escape by elevator a second time. Julius just shook his head.

"Let's go." he said softly.

They all swiftly walked to one of the undamaged elevators and went up. Arriving on the top floor, they found no-one there, and then once again called the elevator they had come in on. The doors pinged open a second later, revealing more than a dozen very surprised guards. None of them lasted more than five seconds. The Romans all got into the elevator, kicking the bodies out, and went up. No-one impeded them in leaving the base, and once out they made a beeline for their rendevous point.

It took them several hours of walking to get there, but when they arrived they found a black, unmarked helicopter waiting for them. They got in, and the helicopter lifted off and raced for the coast, heading for the helicopter carrier Marcus Aurelis, the one which had brought them here.

Once they arrived on board the carrier, they handed in the spoils of their mission and Julius went to his quarters to prepare his report. He listed the casualties on the Roman side, the spoils they had gained, the only witness (his nametag identified him as Adjutant Fletcher), and the approximate damage to the base. The Marcus Aurelis and it's supporting battelgroup arrived at the Roman military base of Tyrus, only about a thousand kilomateres from the American coastline. From there, the commando team and the stolen items were flown by jet direct to Rome, to report personally to Consul Cicero.
Old July 2, 2002, 20:33   #43
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 18:16
Great! But one question. That whole time during the offensive not one American contacted anyone from the outside world? I mean, if a base was under attack wouldn't you call for reinforcements or something? Or did it explain that and I forgot?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 2, 2002, 21:47   #44
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

The whole attack was too quick for that.
Old July 3, 2002, 06:04   #45
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 11:16
That was a good show. It felt like a scene from the rpg Fallout II going through the old vaults whilst killing lotsa guards and looking for goodies in the crates.
Old July 3, 2002, 10:37   #46
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Hey, this is a really great story. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Old July 4, 2002, 19:56   #47
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Julius made his report to Cicero, who commended the performance of his team during the mission, but was depply disturbed by the information that was borught back. Before Julius left, he was told that there would most likely be another raid quite soon.

A few days later, the dead from his team having been replaced, Julius was summoned once again to the Republican Cabinet Room. There he saw the Roman Commander-in-Chief, Julius Caesar, the Foreign Minister, Marcus Germanicus, the PLR Commander, Cornelius Scipio, the Intelligence Chief, Publius Octavian, and the Director of Research, Flaccus Aquinus, along with Consul Cicero. Scipio stood and shook his hand warmly when he entered the room.

"Sit down, Colonel." he said in a friendly way.

Julius sat. Cicero stood; he looked as though he hadn't slept for three days. He probably hadn't. He strode to the front of the room and began to speak.

"Friends, Romans, countrymen," he began, "we have a matter of utmost seriousness to discuss. We all know of Colonel Julius' succesful raid on the American base known as Omega Central. The information he brought back confirms our deepest fears.

The Americans are, as we speak, in the process of developing a nuclear arsenal. The equipment found at their base strongly suggested it, and the documents that we stole have confirmed it. According to their own reports, the Americans have already constructed a functional fission bomb, and will be prepared to explode a thermonuclear weapon within twelve months. This alone is bad enough, but the other information we discovered makes this worse by an order of magnitude.

As Colonel Julius reported, a significant proportion of the equipment at Omega Central has no direct relevance to a nuclear program, and is instead space-related. The stolen documents reveal that these two programs are running under the same command, towards the same end. The Americans plan to develop a thermonuclear arsenal, then mount it in space aboard a fleet of military satellites. They have already developed functional ICBMs, and if they were mounted on the planned satellites and fired from directly above the target, the missiles would strike before anyone knew what had happened. It does not take much imagination to see what the implications of this would be, should the Americans develop this.

Now, we are here for two reasons. First, to alert you all to this threat, and secondly and more importantly, to counter it. Does anyone have any ideas on this?"

Cicero sat. The occupants of the room looked around for a few moments, avoiding one another's eyes. None of them even wanted to consider the implications of this threat. This had been the policy adopted by virtually every nation in the world over the past twelve years, as the Americans engaged in an ever more costly military build-up; they had closed their eyes to the problem, hoping that if they ignored it it would go away. No-one wanted to be at the receiving end of the ever-growing military might of the United States.

Eventually Scipio cleared his throat and stood.

"Gentlemen," he said, "I believe I may have a suggestion. According to the stolen documents, Omega central contains virtually all of the important aspects of their programl collectively known as Project Omega. A few other facilities are engaged in producing equipment for it, but they fulfill only a subsidary role. If Omega Central were to be destroyed or badly damaged, the Americans would be set back by at least five years. We may then have the time to complete our own nuclear program as a deterrent to the American one."

Aquinus nodded to this. "You are quite correct, General Scipio. Though our nuclear program is not as advanced as the maerican one, we expect to be able to test an atom bomb in three to four months, and hydrogen one in around two years. If we can set the American program back by five years, that will be ample time to finish our own one."

Julius frowned at this. "Research Director," he asked, "are you not forgetting the other aspect to Project Omega? The concept of MAD may have kept the peace between Persia and Babylon for three decades, but if a nation gains the capacity to launch a first strike without any possible retaliation, the whole system collapses. And that is what the Americans are developing. You are right that Omega Central needs to be destroyed, but we must follow this up and prevent the Americans from ever resuming their current course."

"I agree with you, Colonel," Cicero put in, "but That is something which will have to be looked at later. At present, we do not have the capacity to do as you suggest. It would take a full national mobilization and a very bloody war to remove the American government, which is what your suggestion would entail. And if we attempted this, public opinion and the opposition would tear us apart."

Julius felt his anger rise. "Lord Consul, with all due respect, this is a matter not just of national security, but of world peace. The Americans CANNOT be allowed to continue with what they are doing. Are you willing to hand them the power to blackmail any nation in the world with impunity for the sake of political expediency?"

"I can understand what you feel, Colonel," Cicero replied gently, "but I am afraid that we have no choice. The opposition is, as you know, quite friendly towards America and would be perfectly happy to let them go ahead with their nuclear program. If we allow them to get into power, the consequences will be far worse than those of what we plan to do now. Besides, if Lincoln does something stupid we may be able to gain public support for furhter action."

Julius subsided somewhat, deciding not to argue any further. Cicero went on.

"So, it seems we all agree that we must destroy Omega Central, regardless of anything else. Does anyone object?"

Silence.

"Very well, let's vote. All those in favour, raise your hands."

Everyone in the room voted in favour.

"Well, that's settled then. Colonel Julius, I want you to begin planning your return to Omega Central. General Scipio, you are to co-operate with him as far as possible. The two of you are to present your plans to this cabinet in one week's time."

The two soldiers saluted before getting up and leaving the room. The others quickly followed suit.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; July 4, 2002 at 20:01.
Old July 4, 2002, 20:48   #48
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 11:16
Yeah go give them another beating!! Even more blood and carnage this time!

By the way, in your signature the [ after the first 'b' is backwards.
Old July 4, 2002, 21:49   #49
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Oops, thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; July 20, 2002 at 03:39.
Old July 20, 2002, 04:29   #50
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

ne week later, the council that had met before once again filed into the Cabinet room and sat. Julius and Scipio strode to the front of the room and waited for everyone to settle down. Once the other were ready, Julius began to speak.

"Gentlemen, the plan that General Scipio and I have prepared is simple, so I will be brief. Firstly, let us examine the structure of Omega Central.

It is divided into two main parts: the above ground section and the underground section. The above-ground section seems to be of little major significance: it is the underground section where the critical research and development is being conducted. Both sections are heavily armoured, and recent satellite photography has revealed greatly increased security.

Now, the plan that has been constructed is this. As a prelude to the attack, we will use precision airstrikes to cripple as much of the base defensive infrastructure as possible: The guard towers, electric fences, and the defences around the entry bunker. While the air-strikes continue, we will drop two commando squads nearby via helicopter. The airstikes will then cease, and the two squads will enter the base and begin the second part of the plan.

Every commando will be equipped with a fuel-air explosive, the most powerful bomb we currently have in our arsenal. These explosives shall be planted in the following places:

1) In the storage area.

2) The main communications dish.

3) The base launch silo, designed for test-firing American missiles.

and

4) The top and bottom floors of the underground section. As each explosive is equivalent to a small tactical nuke, and we intend to use several of them at each point, this should be more than enough to destroy the base. After the laying these explosives, the surviving commandos will exit the base and be picked up by helicopter some distance south of the base. That is all. Are these any objections?"

There were none. Cicero nodded and gave his authorization, and the preparations for the next raid began.

Flying Officer Orbilius glanced nervously at his radar screen every few minutes as he flew his aircraft. It had been eight days since the plans for the next attack had been laid, and now they were being put into action. He was flying the first Roman bomber to in the air attack; he didn't know whether it was a curse or an honor.

He firmly decided in favour of the latter as American F-4 Phantom jets appeared on his radar screen. He wondered for a moment why the Americans would still be using these aircraft, then put it out of his mind. He hit the alarm switch and the crew of the massive Juptier-class jet bomber prepared to fight.

First, the communications officer activated the aircraft's jamming system. This eliminated the threat of American radar-guided missiles, and they carried flares for use against sidewinders. Meanwhile the gunners waited for the Americans to come within range.

Orbilius was watching the Phantoms like a hawk and he spotted their missiles the moment they were fired. He could see that they were sidewinders. He triggered the flare release switch and could imagine the fury on the American pilots' faces as their missiles veered away from the target and destroyed nothing more than a few heating devices. He chuckled.

A second later a shudder went through the bomber as the gunners opened fire with 40 mm cannons. The leading American jet shuddered for a moment as tracer shells converged on it before going down in a blaze of fire. It's wingmate then broke off and raced for the airfield near Omega Central. The gunners kept firing but it was obvious that they would acheive nothing, since the F-15 was going so fast it would virtually outrun the shellfire. Orbilius' aircraft was now approaching the base and his bomardier was setting targets for the laser-guided bombs it carried. As they flew over the target the bomb-bay doors swung open and rained death on the facility below.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; July 27, 2002 at 23:38.
Old August 23, 2002, 20:52   #51
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

15 minutes after the bombs started falling, the base was in chaos. The air strikes had neutralized the nearby airbase and wrecked the perimeter fence, along with the entry bunker. Missiles from Roman jet fighters were still screaming in as the helicopters bearing Julius and the two commando squads approached.

As Julius watched their planned landing ground just outside the perimeter fence coming up fast, he was still running through the plans and the exercises he had run through with his troops. It seemed he’d spent every waking hour since he’d got his authorization practising, practising, then practising some more. He stood up as the choppers swept over the edge of the forest and headed for the ground, the doors opening as they did so.

As the choppers swooped down almost to the ground, Julius leapt out, the other commandos following. They hit the ground running and sprayed the area with bullets, firing RPGs into the nearby buildings. There was no apparent resistance, the air strikes having wrecked all defensive positions in the facility. Julius began to wonder if they might complete this mission without a single casualty.

This hope was dashed a few seconds later as a hail of American bullets spewed forth from a hole in the wall of one of the buildings. One of the men from the second squad was utterly shredded by the shooting, and seconds later more grenades hurtled back at the unknown shooter. The flash of the explosion revealed a broken body being hurled through the air, but the Roman could see behind it more enemy troops moving through. One of them pulled a grenade launcher of his own and let fly, forcing the Romans to scatter and wounding several of them. Then Julius heard two explosions high overhead and looked up, his mouth opening with horror as he saw the two choppers that had brought them in shot down by Stinger missiles.

He briefly contemplated aborting the mission but the decision was effectively made for him as he saw US SEALs running around the corners of nearby buildings. He knew that, scattered out in the open, his troops could not hope to win this fight, so they would have to use their backup plan.

“Everyone, abort mission! Abort mission!” he yelled into his radio, “Leave the FAEs behind, set for contingency mode.” Before the mission, the explosives had been modified to allow a ‘contingency mode’ to be used on them, in case they had to pull out as they did now. Once set, the bombs would allow a 10-second window period to be placed, then any movement of them would trigger their detonation.

The commando team pulled out their explosives, hit the switches and then hurled them toward the Americans. They then began running by leapfrog, some running flat out, while others laid down suppressive fire while moving back more slowly. They then reversed the positions. In this manner they reached the edge of the trees and moved back through them, but they lost five more dead and six wounded. Moreover, they had now lost their means of evacuation and would have to call in more from Tyrus. They would take some time to arrive, and in the meantime they would have to survive a full-on search for them by every military resource the US had in the area. Julius set the FAEs to explode in 15 minutes by remote control and then he and his troops began their long slog to safety…

“Sir, we have received a transmission from the commando team at Omega Central.” Admiral Crassus’ aide informed him.

“Very well, what is it?” he replied. His aide wordlessly handed him a slip of paper. He read it, and scowled.

“So, it seems that the Americans were expecting us this time. Julius has lost his evac choppers, and needs us to finish his job via air strikes. Well, we don’t exactly have much choice. Tell our pilots to be ready for more strikes within two hours. And fly some more choppers out, with fighter escort. We will pick them up at the shores of the Great Bear Lake. See that Colonel Julius is informed about this; the lake shouldn’t be more than an hour and a half away from Omega Central, if he hurries.”

“Yes, sir.” The aide replied, and hurried of to carry out the Admiral’s orders.
Old August 23, 2002, 21:25   #52
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

“Colonel Julius, do you copy?” Julius heard the voice from his commlink, recognising the voice of Quintus Cornelius Horatius, Admiral Crassus’ communications officer.

“I copy, Horiatius, what is it?” he replied.

“Admiral Crassus has told me that he is sending choppers out to pick you up at Hill CCCIV, 50 kilometres north of the Great Bear Lake.”

“Very well, we’re moving.” Julius cut the connection and relayed the orders to the rest of his team. They would get there, even if they had to carry their wounded.

As Crassus’ aide Brutus listened in on his own personal communications gear, he smiled. Colonel Julius and his team were walking directly into an American trap, and the USAF was relocating every defensive fighter it had to the closest surviving airbase to Omega Central. This adventure would go down in the history books as a disaster for Rome, as well it should…
Old August 23, 2002, 21:33   #53
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Julius’ first sign that something was wrong came an hour later, as he saw an American transport chopper heading directly for the evac point designated by Crassus. He looked up at it in concern, and told the others that they should be very cautious when they arrived at Hill CCCIV.

15 minutes later, they entered a clearing and realized, too late, that something had definitely gone wrong. The Americans were waiting for them, as SEALs and Special Forces stormed out of the trees and opened fire, with Apache helicopters providing support. Julius saw three of his troops die within seconds, before the Romans began returning fire. He noted dimly that his special weapon troopers had evidently been training heavily, as they shot down all three of the enemy helicopter with only one shot missing. Meanwhile the American ground troops were dying too, and much more swiftly than the Romans.

When the dust finally settled and the last American was dead, Julius took stock. Hist commando team was now down to five unhurt and eight wounded members, having just eliminated twenty elite American troops. Not bad, but the Americans could afford such losses and Julius could not.

“Colonel Julius, Colonel Julius, this is Captain Lucius, the officer overseeing your extraction. We have reached the Great Bear Lake, but you are not here. Where are you? Over.”

Julius felt a surge of anger as he realized that he had been tricked. “Captain Lucius, we received incorrect information about the designated evac point. We are on our way to you now.”

“Don’t bother, Colonel, I can see where you are from your transmission, and by the time you reach us the Americans will be all over you. We’re on our way to you, ETA 15 minutes. Just try to survive. Over.”

“Thank you, Captain. Over and out.”

Julius wearily relayed the orders to his team, leading them off into the trees. They would have to hide as best they could until the choppers arrived, then hope they could survive the trip back. And when they got back, Julius vowed, he would find whoever had betrayed them and he would personally rip them limb from limb.
Old August 24, 2002, 08:30   #54
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

thanks for continuing this story! THis is great!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old August 24, 2002, 21:00   #55
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

“Warrant Officer Nash, this is Captain Graham. Found anything yet? Over.”

“Sorry captain, nothing. Wait…” Graham watched as the other Apache helicopter slowly turned in midair, scanning for any evidence of the Roman commandos. When Nash called back in, his voice was filled with exultation.

“We got ‘em, Captain, they’re right down there.” As he said this, Nash fired a flare to illustrate the Roman’s location. The two choppers sped down toward that patch of pine forest, guns blazing, while the Special Forces on board prepared to disembark and finish the job. Seconds later they received a rude shock as 3 RPGs came hurtling out of the forest some distance away and blasted Graham’s chopper out of the sky. Nash called in reinforcements and began running for his life, but he wasn’t fast enough to avoid taking a grenade to his tail rotor. His chopper fell out of the sky and crashed in a massive fireball, killing everyone on board.

Julius relaxed slightly as he saw both American choppers destroyed, the infrared decoys they had left over there having worked, but he knew that there would be worse to come. Lucius’ choppers weren’t due in for another 10 minutes, and the Americans would now know where they were. They could, of course, relocate, but they wouldn’t get far and Lucius would have to look for them. Their only real option was to sit tight and hope for the best.

A few minutes later his heart sank as he heard more choppers incoming. Looking up he could see no less than six, all heading for the patch of forest that the real Romans were hiding in. The three special weapon troopers began sighting their RPG launchers, and the others prepared for a shooting match against whatever ground troops the Americans had brought in.
Shortly afterward the choppers swooped overhead, Special Forces troops rappelling down through the trees with guns blazing. Roman bullets and RPGs hurtled back in reply, and two Apaches exploded immediately. The others let fly with their own armaments, shredding the cover provided by the trees. Moments after the attack began the Romans were down to only six commandos, two of them wounded.

“Break off!” Julius yelled, “We have to split up and hope some of us will make it.”

The Romans obeyed his order, splitting into pairs and running off through the trees. As Julius followed he dropped some grenades behind him. Shortly after he heard them detonate and heard the death-screams of at least two Americans.

Then he heard two gunshots, and knew that would have been the Americans executing his wounded. He shook his head and pushed that though aside for know; the only thing he could think about now was survival.

After a few minutes more running, Julius called his remaining three troops by radio and arranged a rendezvous point at a nearby clearing. He then called up Lucius to redirect him.

“Captain Lucius, this is Colonel Julius. Do you copy? Over.”

“Julius, this is Lucius. We’ll be there in just a few minutes. What’s the problem? Over.”

“We were attacked by the Americans while waiting for you. I’m down to only four troops including myself, and you’ll have to pick us up somewhere else.” He then went on to give Lucius the location of the pickup point.

“Thanks, Colonel. Over and out.”
Old September 13, 2002, 21:38   #56
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Julius and the other commandos arrived at the edge of the clearing a few minutes later and prepared for the few minutes more wait until they could escape. Julius though he could just here the sound of helicopter blades in the distance when they found themselves under attack yet again. Julius spotted the US commandos before they attacked this time, and was able to shoot one of them, but it did little good. An instant later the pine forest once again erupted with the sound of gunfire.

Though the Romans ducked back into the forest and tried their best to take cover in the trees, they were still taking most of the punishment. Julius saw several grenades detonate next to one of the other commandos, shredding her before she even knew what was happening.

As he turned back to the enemy Julius felt as though someone had whacked him in the gut with a lump of lead. He doubled over, gasping for breath, just in time to take three more bullets to his chest. He could feel his ribs crack despite his Kevlar body armour, and saw his gun slip from his nerveless fingers. As he looked up he saw one of the US commandos taking aim at his face, but there was nothing he could do. He closed his eyes and waited for the end.

An instant later he heard a shot, and felt it strike him in the face, but to his confusion he was still alive. At the same time he heard a deafening stream of gunfire coming from above. He opened his eyes just in time to see the last American soldier shredded by assault cannon fire from a Roman attack helicopter.

Though ordinarily he would have felt a flood of relief, the only thing on his mind right now was the pain. Thoguh he could tell, dimly, that the bullet had struck him in the cheek before passing out again and was not life threatening, that didn’t make it hurt any less. As one the choppers swept down over the clearing to collect the surviving commandos, it was all he could do to pull himself up to the doors before passing out. His last memory of the incident was of being pulled up into the helicopter as it lifted off and headed full speed for the Marcus Aurelis.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; September 14, 2002 at 22:28.
Old September 13, 2002, 22:03   #57
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

While Julius’ two commando squads were going through hell trying to escape from American troops, the base that was their target was being reduced to rubble.

The first step had been the detonation of the numerous fuel-air explosives they had left inside the perimeter. They had gone off before the Americans could bring in a bomb squad to remove them, leaving most of the aboveground section of the base in ruins and the thick concrete that protected the underground section cracked and collapsed in several places.

The second step in the destruction was the massive air strike organized by admiral Crassus against what was left. 24 Jupiter-class bombers attacked from Tyrus, escorted by dozens more Roman fighter-bombers.

There was little resistance to the strike. The local airfield had already been taken out of commission and the fighters that the Americans already had in the air were low on fuel and hopelessly outnumbered. In less than an hour, a seemingly endless rain of bombs converted Omega Central into nothing more a rubble-filled crater, and along with it went five years of American nuclear research. As the last Roman aircraft left, one thing was clear.

The United States of America would never forgive Rome for this.
Old September 14, 2002, 08:41   #58
civman2000
Emperor

keep this up!

Old September 14, 2002, 17:17   #59
Apokolips
Settler

Local Time: 02:16
Good story. Give the eskimos nukes and it would be perfect. Good Job.
Old September 15, 2002, 01:58   #60
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

“So, what do we know about the attacks against Omega Central?” President Lincoln asked, opening the cabinet meeting. Colonel Hunter, the overall commander of Project Omega, shuffled some papers and then stood.

“Mr. President, we have ascertained two things of importance. Firstly, the perpetrators of these terrorist actions are known. It was the Romans. We have corpses from the ground troops who conducted the first assault and the first phase eof the second, and video and radar evidence of Roman aircraft taking off from their military base at Tyrus and an aircraft carrier in violation of our territorial waters. Take them together, and we have compelling evidence that the Romans were responsible.

The second piece of information is less welcome. The base was completely destroyed in the course of the second attack. While we backed up what we could, the majority of the information there was irreplaceable, and we also lost several of our best scientists, who were killed in the initial bombing raid. Fortunately, the rest were able to evacuate to the sealed bunker beneath the base and survived. We were able to get them out within hours.”

Lincoln nodded, slowly, thinking this information over. As he did so, Secretary of State Henry Kissinger stood and began to speak. “Mr. President, I have taken the liberty of consulting with our allied governments in Tenochtitlan, Cuzco and Moscow, and they have all promised their support for us. The Czarina of Russia was the most reluctant, but we did not have to seriously pressure her.”

“Good.” Lincoln replied. “What about the UN?”

“Their bureaucracy will probably oppose us on general principle, being riddled with communists and all,” Kissinger replied, “but we do have a strong base of support in the General Assembly. Aside from our traditional allies, the Romans haven’t exactly endeared themselves to the other Europeans either. If we play our cards right, we can portray ourselves as innocent victims of unprovoked Roman aggression – which is fairly certain to gain us sympathy.”

“So who is likely to support us?”

“The Russians, Aztecs and Inca most definitely, and probably the Spanish, French, English and Carthaginians as well. We may be able to drum up some support amongst the Asians as well, but it’s doubtful.”

“So we don’t have a majority?”

“No, Mr. President.”

“Then who will support Rome?”

“The Greeks and Egyptians for certain, probably the Germans, and they may be able to wangle a deal with the Asians. The rest will probably be undecided and will support whoever they think makes the best case.”

“What of Persia and Babylon? Their support, above all, could make or break our efforts here.”

“Depends. We will have to try and sell our case to them as promoting stability, but that may be difficult, considering that for the immediate future we are aiming for it’s opposite.”

“Very well. What do you suggest we tell the UN?”

“That we are shocked and bewildered by this unprovoked aggression, and that we demand reparations from the Romans and an evacuation of their base Tyrus to protect us from any further attacks. The Romans will, of course, refuse, and then we can ask the UN to place sanctions on them and possibly approve an attack on Tyrus. If the Romans agree, then they’ve lost their military base and had to pay for their attack. We can then restart the program without fear of attack.”

“I agree. But what if we lose the vote?”

“We will simply have to make sure we won’t. It shouldn’t be that hard.”

“Very well. Do it. Macarthur, do we have the capability to take Tyrus from the Romans if necessary?”

“Hell yes, Mr. President,” the Secretary of Defence replied, “You give the word and we could have it done by morning.”

“What would you expect the casualties to be?” Kissinger asked.

“Pretty high.” Macarthur admitted, “But there would be no doubt about outcome.”

“What if the Romans reinforced it?” Lincoln wanted to know.

“They can’t. We would know about it, and even if they tried to fly them in we could shoot them down first. Our air force will easily destroy any escort they sent with the transports.”

Kissinger looked doubtful at this, but Lincoln saw the confidence on Macarthur’s face and nodded.

“Very well. We shall make our demands at the UN in two days time. Macarthur, I want you to have the troops organized to take Tyrus.”

“Yes, Mr. President. Consider it done.”