Old June 11, 2002, 11:01   #91
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh yeah, and I keep getting "server busy" messages.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:01   #92
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 19:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
Level: how is this calculated?
HP: what's HP? how is this calculated?
MP: what's MP? how is this calculated?
Exp: what? who? how? why? which? when?
if my exp is 62% it means that I have 38% of
the post from 100 to 300 to go (76). right? right?
tell me it is so!
it's all math, too complex for most people
i think it's better than you dont know
Sounds like your are trolling for a reaction. Lets shake the bee hive a bit and see what comes out!!

10 Reactions:

1. I like the idea of somehow evaluating the poster. New readers should have some tool available to help them grasp that comments by Vel are high value for strategy and game play dynamics and comments by Jimmytrick are good for highlighting possible game play limitations. There are many great posters but if not reading regularly may not immediately know if poster is providing fair|avg|good|great comment value.

2. Can't find any definition of terms. This is not good. The initial gain caused by people mulling over the mystery of the labels and meaning is counteracted by the confusion that will last way too long.

3. "Level=how much posted"
This is not a valid definition. Questions we would expect to be answered in definition are:
What is bottom of scale?
What is top of scale?
What is the time frame used to evaluate posting? 1 week, month, year, forever?
If scale is not absolute as first 2 points assume, then what is comparison: average number of posts/user? posts/civ3 user? posts/civ3 user who has been a member X time.
What does level mean? By your supplied definition you suggest we translate "level" to "post volume".

4. "HP"
Hit Points? This HP is not a standard definition on forum yet. HP== helping points?
The values don't match the definition. "over 3 is full HP", but everyone seems to have values in hundreds and thousands. Is there a decimal problem in your formula?

5. "MP"
MultiPlayer Points? Membership points? By "definition" suggest we should interpret MP as "Active Member Points" Seems like confusion with Level. One is "how much posted" other is "how active". Isn't activity based on number of postings? What is the difference, the length of time a member? both measure postings.

6. "Exp"
Experience?
Expansion?
Expert?
Expiring?
Explicit?
Explode?
Export?
Exposure?
Expressive?
Expurging Rate?
If meaning is just "how close to new level", then why not label with more descriptive label:
PG: Percent of Growth
NL: next Level

7. There also needs to be a link to the definitions on the starting forum page.

8. Some messages have under the avatar
Level
HP
MP
Exp
others, such as http://apolyton.net/forums/announcem...s=&forumid=136

Have date registered and number of posts.

What's up? What determines which style is read? It is quite presumptous to assume people are automatically going to understand what "Moo3 forum style" is.

9. "math is too complex"
Give us a break, read the forum articles expecially on corruption and city flipping. Algebra is regularly used. Some posters are using calculus terms. A good number of posters are coders. No, math is not too complex, queries are not too involved, moderator is simply playing "here is an improvement" will I get a new "we love the king" day for the moderator? Looks like it is making more unhappy than happy citizens at this point. With better explanations this might change. How's that for a "subtle" hint?

10. Where is game play experience factor? A deity level player will have different comments and experiences and expectations than a settler.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:02   #93
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
you care too much
Old June 11, 2002, 11:03   #94
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
I'm not sure I see the point of this new feature. IMO, the information it carries is utterly unimportant. And it clutters up the location field.

At least make it optional (from the control panel) whether a person wants to have the new info displayed. Seems only fair to give people a choice.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:04   #95
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Zopperoni
Great, now OT'ers have been visibly degraded to second class citizens
Along with the non-gamers...hence my thread of a few daysa ago.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:05   #96
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
These stats are the worst thing I have ever seen on a forum. I'd sooner use branching threads.
Come to Papa...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:07   #97
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm getting a lot of server busy errors, Mark.

Tighten up that bloated code...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:14   #98
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 20:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Oh yeah, and I keep getting "server busy" messages.
I'm getting this problem a lot too... as well as just an overall time-lag on a T1 LAN that I really shouldn't be getting.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:16   #99
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

My Exp also just rolled over from 90% something to 1% and has begun to go up again, yet my level did not increase... yet another bug? Or why did the level not increase?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:22   #100
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
I'm getting a lot of server busy errors, Mark.

Tighten up that bloated code...
So do I, but it does not need to be the code that does it.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:23   #101
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

ok, so you got hitpoints, and magic points, both are related to our post/day, then how about thief points (TP)?
Depending on your number of threadjacks?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old June 11, 2002, 11:27   #102
FlameFlash
Emperor

threadjacks? I'm confused...

Old June 11, 2002, 11:27   #103
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Marvellous... MarkG is having some fun time, while the people trying to talk about Civilization get "server busy" messages...

Quote:
Great, now OT'ers have been visibly degraded to second class citizens
How ironic, since this feature is just about as off-topic as you can get.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:28   #104
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowFlame
Juggernauut, MarkG said it's only on the light-special style set. Changing style set should remove the stats. And for those wondering, MP commonly stands for Magic or Mana Points, while HP commonly is Health or Hit Points
I have the default style set. And the stats are displayed on all sets I've tried.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:31   #105
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
How about HP reflecting such things as blows from the banning rod or PCRs -- it might provide an incentive to keep a clean sheet -- it might make some people try for I've been banned more than you T-shirts ...

SG[1]
Old June 11, 2002, 11:34   #106
ShadowFlame
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Juggernaut

I have the default style set. And the stats are displayed on all sets I've tried.
The default style set IS light-special I think... Otherwise MarkG was lying. Which I doubt...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:35   #107
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hey, Mark, how about making OT posts count? I mean, it's going to throw the stats way off, otherwise.

Or maybe they count again and I just didn't read the thread through. Let's hope that's the case.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old June 11, 2002, 11:37   #108
Lemmy
King

OT still don't count..
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:39   #109
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
My Exp also just rolled over from 90% something to 1% and has begun to go up again, yet my level did not increase... yet another bug? Or why did the level not increase?
Are you sure your level didn't?
Old June 11, 2002, 11:39   #110
Garth Vader
King

This is kind of cool.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:39   #111
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Nope - it started in the Light Special style but has now migrated to include at least the default special that I use...

SG[1]
Old June 11, 2002, 11:40   #112
Lemmy
King

i think MP is somehow related to your level and exp...if i'm correct my MP should be 1753 now...the right one.

/edit: whieiei!! i was right
but i also thought my exp would be 90 now, but it's 89...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:41   #113
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowFlame

The default style set IS light-special I think... Otherwise MarkG was lying. Which I doubt...
I think he was lying.
Old June 11, 2002, 11:42   #114
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:20
How terribly odd...
Old June 11, 2002, 11:45   #115
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:20
an experimient on human behavior

It's enough to have levels. ********************************************* +1 :Þ
Old June 11, 2002, 11:45   #116
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Are you sure your level didn't?
Positive... unless the font they're using for "1" and "2" are so similar that I didn't seen the change, but when this whole stat thing started I was level 22, and after Exp rolled over I was still level 22.

(Unless the fonts confused me.)

Old June 11, 2002, 11:48   #117
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
Ha ha, I have more HP then any CG member except the Bastard!
Old June 11, 2002, 11:49   #118
FlameFlash
Emperor

When it's said that the Off-topic posts aren't counted... are those the posts in the "off-topic" board?

Otherwise, I'd like to see the AI tech you're using to get OT posts on all the boards not counted...

Sorry, I am a newb when it comes to a lot of this stuff... I play CTP and SMAC... that's it... somebody gave me this link to figure out what in the world the stats were... I still don't understand them either.

Old June 11, 2002, 11:51   #119
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:20
Yes, Off topic posts are posts from the OT forum.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 11, 2002, 11:55   #120
MattHiggs
King

Test