Old June 21, 2002, 15:36   #61
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Do I deduce that your flurry of tech exchanges occured BEFORE we got Philosophy - had you waited one more turn it would have been ours in 1AD - or did we lose celebration, play with the tax rate etc!????

The Phalanx gave sufficient martial law for our capital to take two workers from sea squares so that the magic 10 shields could be achieved without losing celebration or increasing the luxury rate - see my log! What's the betting you changed the Phalanx to a caravan and moved to 10 shields a turn and didn't notice that this lost celebration?

I don't do SSCs either - but I do do big fat Super Trade Cities - grow that capital you second rate trader you!!

[end of mega rant]

Such is the nature of Succession Games and we are all entitled to our views and playing styles - this is the charm of SGs (ed. no he doesn't mean Scouse gits - they have no charm whatsoever...)

SG[1]
Old June 21, 2002, 17:49   #62
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SG[1], we were doing about 20 turns each. Do more next time.
Glad you saw I was moving those Settlers to Avalon for growth. Obviously great minds occasionally think alike

Julius, no SciWoW true but a Sorta Science City is still possible (much trade, Lib, Uni, buncha Eins after size 20). You only did 14 turns. Resign early to scout locations for reeducation camp?

Of which speaking we might give an Arthurian or Pythonish name??
Old June 21, 2002, 21:10   #63
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 21:21
Oh, right. Me again?

I should be able to download and play tomorrow AM!

Hopefully I can cause even more dissention in the ranks

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 22, 2002, 02:22   #64
King

Let the games begin!
STYOM reels into his hovel in Avalon, a shadow of his usual self after a night of wenching, drinking, and suggestive leering. The kingdom is once again leaderless! Preceding dynasties have fallen from glory, reduced to embittered squabbling over Phalanxes and Caravans. STYOM recalls a happier time when the people were happy and united under their King. STYOM resolves to end the rule of the Kingly dynasties - if we're going to squabble, let's do it in the Senate

And now we'll see real unhappiness!

AD 200: Travelers report the Mongols have almost finished an Oracle.
Revolution, just to annoy the SG's. We meet with the Viking leader and are persuaded to war on the Mongols. Trade Republic for Mathematics, with the Chinese. Aztecs finish Shakes.

220: Republic formed! Now, everyone is free to criticize STYOM without fear of summary execution (and I can hear the shrieks from the back benches already). Taxes 1.3.6

Medicine and Banking acquired from Aztecs for Bridge Building and Polytheism.

Production in Avalon changed from Harbor to Aqueduct.

Spirited debate in the Senate regarding Ormuz, and whether it would be 'fair play' to induce the citizens there to join our empire in exchange for a government grant. In the end, unfettered violence is decided to be the better option

240: Mongols finish their Oracle. Chinese abandon their Oracle.

Celebrations begin in many fair cities.
Ormuz plundered for 32 gold. Barbarian King lies behind it; 150 gold!

Hides Abington-Teotihuacan, 280g, Silk Brenzaidograd-Teotihuacan, 480 g. (Aside to Carolus Rex: I see your point) Taxes now 0.4.6. Aqueduct rushed in Avalon.

260: Engineering; now working on Invention (Mono not offered )
Dye Caravan in Abington. Aqueduct in Avalon. Doorstop founded.

280: Cease fire with Mongols in exchange for Construction. Mongol chariot hired, on the cheap.

Silver Avalon-Teotihucan 176 g.

300: Durance Vile founded.

320: Hides Camelot-Tenochtitlan, 200g.

340-380: construction of caravans proceeds apace!

400: Zulus start KRC. Invention discovered; researching Monotheism.
Dye Abington-Tlatelolco, 136g. Beads BoobooOnYou-Tlatelolco, 68g. LW started.

420-460: more construction.

480: We decline to join the Mongols in their war on the Vikings.

500: Aztecs and Zulus each start Leos... Vikings start Copernicus!

520: Ex Mongol founded; starts Settlers.
Coal Avalon-Tlatelolco, 180 g;

540: LW rushed in Avalon. Wine Abington-Teotihuacan, 235 g. Monotheism discovered :grrr: ; working on Gunpowder.

560: LW built; starting on Mike's in Avalon.

580-600: Caravans stampede towards Avalon.

Perhaps 2AM on Saturday isn't the best time to play

OK... some of you are going to want out of Republic... I felt the growth was worth it. Mike's is just around the corner (3 caravans en route to Avalon), and we should we able to WLTCD up nicely. Barbs seem poised to sack Texcoco; I'm moving a Diplomat to be picked up by Trireme to bribe it should that happen (and become a thorn in the side of the Aztecs).

Otherwise... point fingers and shout 'Nee' if you will, but look at yon powergraph, ye doubters!
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ar_a600.sav (101.7 KB, 7 views)

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; June 22, 2002 at 02:31.
Old June 22, 2002, 05:16   #65
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

* points finger *
Neeeeeee

SG[1]
Old June 22, 2002, 10:00   #66
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!"

MPE is IM(definitely not humble)O a useful Wonder ONLY if it is used to get maps - we got a zillion 'let's slow ourselves down' techs and only TWO maps!

20 turns of 'wonderful' Republican celebration and 'valuable' peaceful trading with the HEATHEN, a luxury rate of 40% and our glorious capital is now ... wait for it ... size 10.
We could have done this for 180 shields.
Monotheism in 540AD - our glorious Crusaders will be facing Mechanised Infantry!

* reaches for oxygen mask at back of bath-chair and spittle runs down chin *

"Sod the Oxygen - bring me a Wine Caravan!"

* Collapses *

SG[1]
Old June 22, 2002, 10:44   #67
King

Hmmmm

Well, 2/3 of the caravans I sent weren't from Avalon... so Republic seemed the better option for trading, rather than trying to keep keep the whole empire celebrating for the trade bonuses in Monarchy.

I will grant that Mikes's could have been had in 560 - possibly at the cost of Leos' though. With none of the AIs having Mono at that point, I thought it was worth an attempt to force them to abandon wonder construction.

Once we have Mikes (probably in 3-4 turns), all the infrastructure and trading put in place during my term should allow for rapid growth.

And if not...

Old June 22, 2002, 11:51   #68
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I say to you both:
E
nnnNNNNI! NI!

Need more prep
Before change to Rep.
Now that it's done,
Let's have some fun?
Old June 23, 2002, 03:34   #69
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
STYOM, I am with you
And please, the old farts, let me defend myself

Well, I plead guilty for the philosophy incident. I was afraid I would only get choice from techs own by the AI, so I decided to trade for them before the discovery. A stupid plan. For the fat trade city, nobody told me of that plan, and I think my concept of foreign trading is viable too. Gits, no I didn’t put workers on forest and let Avalon stop celebrating, they remained on water, but 1 for 1 turn, to build caravans in 7.
I made a few mistakes, but don’t deem I should be hanged right away. And anyway, Straybow, didn’t you notice the name of the second city I founded : Escpae My Fate !
Old June 23, 2002, 05:17   #70
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Re: Let the games begin!
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
Revolution, just to annoy the SG's.
Correction - that should read SG - singular. Playing three succession games already I decided to pass on this one I have downloaded the game to have a peek and to see the fun I am missing

---------------

SG(2)
Old June 23, 2002, 06:51   #71
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:21
This game goes so quickly, with so many heated discussions, that I suppose it's late to join you.
Straybow, you are the boss, please let me know (... whether one more hard biting old fart would be welcome ).
Old June 23, 2002, 08:44   #72
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The list at the top of the page suggests that I am up - but should it not be StrayBow himself or LaFayette if he joins?
Please advise ...

Hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers with my rants - I really enjoy letting my hair down like that - and I'm guessing you guys know me well enough by now to know that no offence is ever intended ...

SG[1]
Old June 23, 2002, 09:05   #73
Straybow
Emperor

Order, what order?
Rrrrruffles have rrrrrridges, not feathers. Non-sequiturs aside, I took my second turn before you 'cause you said it would be more than a day before you'd get to it.

Farts old and not-so-old are welcome, else I'd have to exclude meself (I turned 39 this week ), so LaFayette's up. Take about 20 if you can stand it.
Old June 23, 2002, 11:19   #74
La Fayette
King

Downloaded. Ready? Go!
(but I must read the thread first in order to play in accordance with the rules)
Old June 23, 2002, 17:16   #75
La Fayette
King

Beginning of a mad mad growth
I know my duty. STYOM left Mike under building and Mike is not the kind of wonder that we would like to stay under building until the AI builds it before us.

Short log:
740AD: MIKE completed; luxuries set at 50%
760AD: All cities over size 2 celebrate
820AD: Only 2 small cities still willing to celebrate any longer; lux set at 20%; size of our civ (worked squares )increased from 77 to 100 in 4 turns.
840AD: Gunpowder discovered; Sanitation researched.
960AD: Sanitation discovered; University researched.
1000AD: KRC to be completed next turn; Lafayette sent home by foolish senators.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ar_a1000.sav (102.6 KB, 4 views)
Old June 23, 2002, 20:42   #76
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers with my rants - I really enjoy letting my hair down like that - and I'm guessing you guys know me well enough by now to know that no offence is ever intended ...

SG[1]
But of course. I've long been a proponent of early Republic - you're not. Good natured ribbing is part of the fun. Though I normally would prefer to make a better beeline to Mono in order to make the strat work better

And of course, SG[2] isn't playing, so my earlier comment re: annoying a Git should have been directed at SG[1] only. But then, I should think that my early Revolution would have annoyed any Git, regardless of which of you were actually playing!

STYOM

Old June 23, 2002, 21:35   #77
Straybow
Emperor

Pythonized Play Order
Albatross! ALBATROSS!!

1) Straybow * "Uh... I'm not quite dead, sir!"
2) Julius * * They ate Sir Robin's minstrels. And there was much rejoicing.
3) STYOM * "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcicial aquatic ceremony!"
4) LaFayette * "…and that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped."
5) SG[1] "Zoot!" "No, I am Zoot's identical twin sister, Inge."

Alphabetical means name your founded cities in rough (first letter) alpha order, as an organizational aid. Don't worry about TANSTAAFL coming after Tunafish; don't feel you must rename captured cities.

No Science Wonders (GL, Cope's, Newton's) assures that we will not grossly outpace our competitors. The size of continents should be a limit to early expansion as well.

No City Bribing (modified) applies to core AI cities. The exception: occasional loner AI city (from wandering Settlers the AI likes to send out, or Adv Tribe, etc) far from their core is fair game. Invasion actions shall be limited to one (1) attempt to sabotage walls (or another improvement) per city and unlimited production sabotage attempts.

Last edited by Straybow; June 27, 2002 at 14:27.
Old June 24, 2002, 04:07   #78
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Pass me this time folks - it's my lady's Birthday (and her twin is visiting - so double trouble)

SG[1]
Old June 24, 2002, 13:18   #79
Straybow
Emperor

King Richard's Crusade?
Mighta been better to wait for SoL or Mag… never build it myself. I switch some production to Triremes since our only two are far off attacking the darkness.

A tile near Escape shows as used. "Somebody has been sleeping in my bed," said Papa Bear. Papa Bear discovers that Carnaerfon has appeared on our coast when a caravan wanders too close and gets axed. If it weren't in a lousy place I'd buy it, instead I attack. Crusaders become Vets wiping out Warriors

Crud. They sue for peace and the Senate wimps sign a cease-fire. I finish a Barracks in Abington and make another Vet Cruc to prepare for the end of the cease fire in 1320.

We complete Uni and go for Astro because we can trade with the Chinese for Sanitation. We trade and we pick up some maps, too. Just after I choose Nav to study the Aztecs complete Dem and start work on SoL. Crud again.

We build a University in Avalon and libraries in our larger cities. Discovery drops from 7 to 5 turns. We get Nav and Leo changes our Triremes to Caravels. Go for Dem… maybe we can beat the Aztecs, maybe not. We'll soon have enough caravans for a wonder of some sort.

Crud crud. The Mongols, too, have dropped a city on our continent.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ar1300.sav (102.8 KB, 3 views)
Old June 24, 2002, 13:23   #80
Straybow
Emperor

Peace? Hah!
Mongols have offered peace, and of course the Senate accepted. But we know their true intentions. Beware the ides of March, Julius!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	secretpact.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	18083  
Old June 24, 2002, 17:38   #81
Julius Brenzaida
King

I have downloaded the game and will try to play tomorrow,
Old June 24, 2002, 18:21   #82
La Fayette
King

Re: King Richard's Crusade?
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow

We complete Uni and go for Astro because we can trade with the Chinese for Sanitation
owsthat?
our coneheads discovered Sanitation in 960AD (and the purpose was to build some real fat cities ASAP )
Old June 24, 2002, 18:37   #83
King

Re: Pythonized Play Order
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
[5) "And after the spanking, the oral sex!" SG[1] "Well I could stay a bit longer..."
I smell a , or perhaps a is more apropos.

Where's Ming when you need him?

Old June 25, 2002, 06:02   #84
Julius Brenzaida
King

1320 we discover Democracy. While we revolt, we declare war to Celts and capture their city of Carnaefon on our continent. We rename it Celtic Relic. We fail to capture Armagh on a nice tiny island.
1340 we are a democracy !!!
1360 Mongols now in democracy too !
1440 we disvover Chemistry. We kill a celtic settler. Aztec complete Statue of Liberty.
1480 100 gold in a hut.
1500 we discover Metallurgy.
1520 we complete Magellan. Avalon is now size 18. Good time to retire !
Old June 25, 2002, 06:04   #85
Julius Brenzaida
King

I think you all know how to play under a democracy. Trading with the Aztecs is underway. Terain around Avalon should be improved, explosives is 1 or 2 turns away. I’m building a few marketplaces to stenghten trade. One should rebuild a muskeets in Abington and send it to catchy name : I had to disband to rushbuild Magellan and beat the Vikings to it. We are very well and our citizen feel free !
Here is the saved game.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip arthur1520ad.zip (18.9 KB, 3 views)
Old June 25, 2002, 10:16   #86
King

I have it... should be able to play today/tonight.

STYOM

Old June 25, 2002, 13:48   #87
La Fayette
King

Why I did it (King Richard C)
I build KRC only once in a while, because of other important wonders and because the AI often runs towards that wonder.
However, it must be stressed that KRC is VERY powerful if one uses it wisely: it is the only means to obtain many shields in one city long before industrialization, without any pollution (or global warming ).
The cost is 300 shields and it often provides you more than 3000. Nice return on investment.
Old June 25, 2002, 14:00   #88
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

I sometimes build KRC if I get Engineering quickly. It's an under used wonder.
BTW you do get pollution once your shields are over 20 (I think)

-------------

SG(2)
Old June 26, 2002, 01:05   #89
Straybow
Emperor

We complete Uni and go for Astro because we can trade with the Chinese for Sanitation.

LaFayette: "owsthat? our coneheads discovered Sanitation in 960AD"

No, no. As in, we've got Sanitation, Chinese had Astro, so choose Astro and then trade so we get new choices.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:27   #90
King

Sorry about the delay... real life intervened
In 1520, STYOM resumed Premiership of the kingdom. Ahhh, Democracy... it brings a smile to even a tyrant's face. Nonetheless we have some significant priorities to address - # 1 is defence - 2 of our cities have no Musketeers - and #2 is terrain improvement. Avalon has no room to grow, and Abington would be much more productive with KRC if the land was improved. Beyond that, STYOM aims to stockpile some Caravans for the building of some sort of happy Wonder - JSB or eventually WS/CFC - to facilitate renewed celebration. Or a move into fundy

Science adjusted to 1.2.7. (Science every 5 turns)

1530: Zulus expel our Diplomat. "Right... I'll do you for that!!"
Some workers are moved to maximize Caravan production in Avalon.
Dye Avalon>Tlatelolco 220g.

1540: Gibbon states we are the happiest civilization in the world. A real Lou Gehrig moment.
Explosives discovered; researching Economics.
Hides Camelot>Teotihuacan, 74g.

1550: Aztecs proclaim Democracy.
Chinese Diplomat turfed out of lands near Daresbury. STYOM speculates that the Chinese may be making inroads on our NW coast... makes a note to build a city S of Daresbury accessing both specials.

1560: Workers busily improve lands around Avalon and Abington.

1570: Celt Warrior shows up outside Ex Mongol and demands 450 gold. ROFLMAO!! Naturally, they get war.
Economics discovered; start Feudalism (no decent choices).
We trade University for Feudalism with Chinese.

1580: Researching Theology.
Beads ExMongol>Tintagel, 16g
Coal Avalon>Teotihuacan, 380 gold.
Gold Brenzaidograd>Teotihuacan, 152 gold.
Dye Abington>Teotihuacan, 114 gold.

1590: Theology, researching Physics (plans for Corporation).

1600: JS Bach rushed in Camelot. Tintagel razed in a fit of pique.

1610: Zulus sneak attack trade Caravel
JS Bach in Camelot!
Luxuries increased to 1.4.5
Stock Exchange rushed in Avalon.
WasTintagel founded.

1620: Vikings start Eiffel Tower Yeah, that'll be some wonder race...
Viking Ironclad steams past our Caravel Maybe Conscription or Steam Engine would be good next!!
Celebrations start in many cities.
Copper Avalon>Tlatelolco, 240g
Copper Dogsbody>Tlatelolco, 264g
Musketeer rushed in WasTintagel.

STYOM steps away from the Premiership, citing pressure from certain 'religious fanatics' who seek power... but he shall return to lead the Britons again one day!
OK. Celebrations are running throughout the land - I didn't check to see if any cities needed tweaking to keep the celebrations going next turn.

Vikings have the only techs we might want (Steam Engine) but they aren't talking to us. I have a Crusader south of WasTintagel trying to hunt down the barb kings in the area.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ar_a1620.sav (103.6 KB, 5 views)