Old June 11, 2002, 19:33   #1
bball768
Settler

Local Time: 02:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
science-- what is the earliest anyone had got to modern
What is the earliest any one has got to the modern age.
Where should i be a 100AD?
Old June 11, 2002, 20:26   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Depends on the difficulty level.

I play Monarch / Emperor. At 100 AD, I want to be at Chivalry.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:16   #3
nap2
Settler

Local Time: 21:23
Somewhere around 1200-1300 AD I think....

I don't quite remember...I deleted the save games already. All I know is that I conquered by 1515 AD, 5 other civs, emperor level, huge map. Standard 4 turn minimum for advance. I was runnin around with over 300 modern armor (just on attack) as I recall....

Anyway, I'm done with Civ3 for now...waiting for WarIII.
Old June 12, 2002, 12:52   #4
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
Playing an earlier version of Marla's world map on Deity I was almost to the modern age by the end of the BC's. The map had been designed as a 'Tiny' I guess, so the tech rate was very fast (4 times what it should have been.. 60 vs 240 IIRC).

On regular Huge/Deity maps it's pretty common to reach the Modern Age by 1000AD. Huge maps have the best tech rate to optimal number of cities ratio, plus more huts for an early tech boost.
Old June 12, 2002, 13:16   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 19:23
Difficulty, map size, and number of AI civs hugely impact the timeline.

Most recently I have been playing Monarch -- usually around 1500-1600 AD on a standard map, takes longer on small and tiny.

Played a diety game just for fun several weeks ago. Standard map, 7 AI civs (plus me). AI won via spacerace at +/- 1340 AD while I was working on combustion! I first saw an AI rifleman about 150 AD (Nationalism could have been discovered eaqrlier). I first saw an AI bomber buing built about 650 AD. The UN was built around 910 AD. And even though the spaceship was launched in 1340, the AI had not beelined for victory (since it had started building Cure for Cancer and Longevity, and it would not have surprised me to see that they had also researched Recycling).
Old June 12, 2002, 14:22   #6
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

The factor most influencing tech rate, is difficulty level. More specifically, the cost discount that the AI gets at higher levels.

Firaxis has balanced the timeline well for most maps at the maximum number of AIs. After all, isolated civilizations are supposed to advance slower than ones sharing knowledge. But the timeline is way off at difficulty levels other than Regent. It's too bad because there is an easy way to fix the tech rate for each difficulty level. Just adjust the tech cost at each level to be constant for the AI, and variable for the human, instead of constant for the human and variable for the AI as it is now.

I hope they fix it in the next patch. At Emperor and Deity, the shelf-life of units is amazingly short. They often go obsolete during the course of the single campaign for which they were built.
Old June 12, 2002, 22:02   #7
Timely Chicken
Settler

Local Time: 19:23
Uh, ok. After reading this, at least compared to you guys, I suck. Still like the game, though.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:59   #8
dunk
Prince

Chicken...

A big factor in the speed of the game is difficulty level.

Games progress MUCH faster at Diety and Emporer level since the AI players get research bonuses and trade amongst themselves more freely than with human players.

I always play at warlord or regent, so the game flows pretty acurately with regard to timeline. At least my games do.
Old June 14, 2002, 03:50   #9
Radiation Zero
Settler

Local Time: 18:23
In my current game on Warlord, It's 1938 AD and I just got Military tradition a while ago.

estroyers and Factories are the most modern things I can build.

I find on less than Regent, if I'm playing a SDcientific Civ, I will nearly always get every tech fgirst, which means no matter how much I try and keep the AI up to speed, I find it's completely useless for helping me, thus, I get brutally slow tech advancement

(longbowmen were my main attackers for nearly 1000 years till riflemen then Cav came around)

On the other hand, when the difficulty gets higher, IO can't beat the computer except by early-rushing, which is the antithesis of how I play.

I love conquest victories, but not untill modern age.
Old June 14, 2002, 14:28   #10
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

850 or so AD Launch date for me. There were two big AIs, and they would both discover every four turns. I learned the pattern.

no new techs
no new techs
persia
america
no new techs
no new techs
persia
america

So we learned things fast.
Old June 14, 2002, 16:20   #11
bball768
Settler

Local Time: 02:23
at what level
Old June 14, 2002, 16:30   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
hi ,

1700 AD , levels ; emporer and deity , AI default level at deity , .....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 01:00   #13
seraphin
Settler

Local Time: 03:23
don't know

just played a game (japan,monarch,medium map,80%ocean...nice starting position) - i enterd modern times around 1450 or 1500.
launched ss around 1750. it took me so long cause (as you know) the ai is completely useless in on monarch: the only techs thzey brought me were free artistry,espionage etc.

ill check my saves to make a more precise opinion about what could be my "standard speed"...
Old June 17, 2002, 15:31   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
Quote:
Originally posted by seraphin
don't know

just played a game (japan,monarch,medium map,80%ocean...nice starting position) - i enterd modern times around 1450 or 1500.
launched ss around 1750. it took me so long cause (as you know) the ai is completely useless in on monarch: the only techs thzey brought me were free artistry,espionage etc.

ill check my saves to make a more precise opinion about what could be my "standard speed"...
hi ,

give the editor a look , ....
and while at it , put the default level of the AI at deity , ....

have a nice day