View Poll Results: Who should be Science Advisor?
Tassadar5000 47 56.63%
civman2000 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11, 2002, 20:10   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Election: Science Advisor
This is the election poll thread for the Science Advisor race.
Duration: 5 days, 06/15
Canidates: Tassadar5000, civman2000
Old June 11, 2002, 21:09   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
I will give both single options and long term goals in polls, and you can trust me to not be confused and know how to interpret the results! After the beginning military techs (bronze working and iron working, maybe warrior code though i think we'll find/trade for it), we should focus on cultural techs: alphabet writing, literature. Trade for mysticism, the ai always goes for it. Try to get both oracle and GL asap.

These are just my opinions on what we should do. I will always only tell our president to do what the people choose in the polls. I will try to convince others that i am right but ultimately the people are in charge.

LOTS OF APPLAUSE

Thank you for givingme a 6-4 lead over my opponent right now .

Edit: make that 7-4

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal

Last edited by civman2000; June 11, 2002 at 21:22.
Old June 11, 2002, 22:15   #3
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
bump
Old June 11, 2002, 22:45   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:23
Ah, it is that day now. It is that time, the time to decide who you wish to be the science advisor for the first term.

Before you vote, let me present my arguement once more.

I believe that I should be elected science advisor because I enjoy thinking about things. And that is a very important trait to have. The direction you take in research can affect the game in a variety of ways. Researching one tech over another can break an entire empire, or it can send it into the riches of prosperity.

However, prosperity can only be achieved if you have a stable and clear path of research. Random and erratic research will only lead into a fall in the technology race, and eventually the crumbling of an empire.

I promise to never let this happen. Under me, we will always have a technology to research as I have a plan for the entire ancient era. This plan although a jumbling of technology, has been created to follow an orderly plan: Defense-Culture and Science-Offense.

This plan will allow us to persue many paths for expanding our empire. Defense is essential because Culture and Science are just that: Culture and science. If your empire is not defended early and well, it will fall before it is even born. Then comes Culture and science. Culture allows us to assimilate cities into our empire, and other civilizations will treat us with more respect which comes in handy during negotations. Science will allow us to keep our empire up to date with the latest technologies, and gives us an edge over other civilizations. Finally, offense will open the door to military expansion which is essential for survival.

Not only does this plan allow us to crush our enemies under culture, science, and offense, but it allows our civilization to flourish and withstand the test of time.

If you vote for me, this can all come true under my guidance. If I am elected, this plan will come into effect for at least one month. Just think, our empire being the biggest, strongest one in the world for an entire month.

Today is the day indeed, fellow people. A major decision is being made, and I sincerly hope you do vote for me.

To view the entire Science Adivsor campaign, please go here .
Old June 12, 2002, 00:02   #5
talia
Settler

It seems as if you (Tassadar) has a good arguement, his points are well laid out, a view of the future.
Old June 12, 2002, 03:49   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Where is the 'none of the above' option?

Neither one seems to have a plan to develop a better banana.
Old June 12, 2002, 06:51   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 04:23
Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
I will give both single options and long term goals in polls, and you can trust me to not be confused and know how to interpret the results! After the beginning military techs (bronze working and iron working, maybe warrior code though i think we'll find/trade for it), we should focus on cultural techs: alphabet writing, literature. Trade for mysticism, the ai always goes for it. Try to get both oracle and GL asap.
Is that how I did in the Civ2 demogame?
Old June 12, 2002, 08:15   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

pretty much, polls like that work in the civ2 game....
Tassadar's supposed well-organized plan is nothing more than the same as mine plus some more obvious details and some stuff that makes it sound fancier!

After all, like my opponent, the first techs to go for are those that ensure our ancient age military competitiveness. As Tassadar said, after those we should focus on culture. The science he speaks of is everything else. It is obvious that we will need to get the science to be able to get other techs also. After all, the position we're running for is science advisro!

As Tassadar said, choosing one tech over another can lead to ruin. His "plan" may be too thought out! Rather than having an order or whatever planned out, we should have a few top priority advances to get and then move on to the rest. We must not plan too far ahead, but instead reconsider our goals whenever a new situation comes up.

I have a rough idea of teh ancient age, and what the first few techs should be, but instead of having a full plan I will analyze the situation and devise a short-term plan that is best for whatever needs Apolytonia may have at the time.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 12, 2002, 08:21   #9
civman2000
Emperor

FUrthermore, I have experience with the other civs' choices. I know that most of the other civs will go for mysticism and polytheism relatively early, so we can wait and hope to trade. They all want monarchy, but republic is a better governmnet unless you having tons and tons of war. They also go for mathematics early. Although it is very important for currency and construction, once again we can get otehr techs the ai does not go for as much first and hope to trade...

Old June 12, 2002, 08:21   #10
Timeline
King

Local Time: 21:23
My vote goes to Tassadar.
Old June 12, 2002, 08:27   #11
civman2000
Emperor

Old June 12, 2002, 08:33   #12
civman2000
Emperor

I also am an experienced member of the civ2 game. True, the only position I have held is VP, but nonetheless I have acquired experience of how to set up everything efficiently. I am overall more experienced with the workings of a demo game and can be trusted to get one to start working!

Old June 12, 2002, 08:59   #13
civman2000
Emperor

Chat deabate from a few nights ago: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&pagenumber=3.

skywalker also shows why my ability to make better polls makes me a better candidate.

Old June 12, 2002, 09:09   #14
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 03:23
This is a tough one to decide!
I think both candidates would be very good
After some thinking I decided to go for Civman though, I like polls on every advance
Old June 12, 2002, 09:35   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:23
Tassadar is the man. Reasonable promises, and spams much less, lol.
Old June 12, 2002, 09:38   #16
civman2000
Emperor

how are my promises unreasonable

And I'm just campaigning

Old June 12, 2002, 17:02   #17
jdd2007
NationStates
King

this is a very serious position. in most cases, i would read a summary of views and usually vote for the one that made the most sense (or the banana) but in this case, i decided that tassador, though newer would be better in this position.
Old June 12, 2002, 18:46   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Civman, I voted for you, because you have this magical quality lacked by many in these forums, something known as EXPERIENCE.
Old June 12, 2002, 19:01   #19
civman2000
Emperor

jdd: so in other words you voted for tassadar just because you had some magical intuition that told you he was better without seeing either of our views? Or do you mean you're voting for tassadar even though I make more sense?

Old June 12, 2002, 19:12   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

He means that he's guessing.
Old June 12, 2002, 19:12   #21
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 19:23
civman: the Bob Dole of Science Advisors.

He just can't win...
Old June 12, 2002, 19:16   #22
civman2000
Emperor

! You voted for me though, it seems.

I'm actually pretty different from him...democrat, don't talk about myself in 3rd person

I also always seem to get a consolation prize...VP...hopefully here financial advisor

Old June 12, 2002, 19:26   #23
themagicbanana
Settler

I like voted for Tassadar because he seems to like have a plan, and is like calm and cool. he isnt spamming like civman is. so thats just my vote.

Bananas forever. peace.
Old June 12, 2002, 21:48   #24
TrueLight
Settler

I was just wondering.

What do you science advisters do in the later ages. More towards the miliarty or city impovements?

Because ancient age you go for military.
Old June 12, 2002, 21:51   #25
TrueLight
Settler

I voted for civman because he is a king and Tarsadar is just a cheiftian. Civman shows alot of experience too.
Old June 12, 2002, 21:58   #26
civman2000
Emperor

I would say that is irrelevant for voting now, but I:
get military tech early in middle ages, but then get all teh little cultural wonder techs asap. Magnetism and other naval tech can wait. Industrial: Again, get nationalism and replaceable parts asap, then work on more "scientific" techs, notably electricity. Get tanks asap and planes a bit later. Never bother getting adv. flight or amphib, just trade/but it later. modern, that's too far ahead.

That's just what i usually do in my games.

Old June 12, 2002, 22:56   #27
CigarsNBananas
Settler

Local Time: 18:23
I'm the new guy, the closest citizen to a banana, and I vote for Civman and here is why. When looking at the tech tree out of context with the game, it is easy to get ambitious and find the quickest route to Rocketry. However, Civ has never worked that way. What if we start on a small continent or an island? Experience will dictate that the way to choose techs is by making a specific decision. Following a strict path for a said tech can be fatal to the development of a civ. Any civer knows you can't follow a walkthrough when it comes to the tech tree.
Old June 13, 2002, 02:24   #28
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I voted civman...he made the last election for Science Minister at the civ2 game with me interesting and I believe he would be a worthy science minister...

Maybe when I step down as civ2 science minister at the end of the month...
Old June 13, 2002, 04:05   #29
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hold your votes lurkers.

Neither one has offered an explanation of how a better banana could be developed.
Old June 13, 2002, 04:12   #30
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:23
They outlined their basic platform in a different thread, I believe.