View Poll Results: Who should be Minister of Imperial Expansion?
atawa 9 13.04%
Chandragupta 5 7.25%
Timeline 35 50.72%
Jonny 17 24.64%
Gen. Hancock 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11, 2002, 20:26   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Election: Minister of Imperial Expansion
This is the election poll thread for the Minister of Imperial Expansion race.
Duration: 5 days, 06/15
Canidates: atawa, Chandragupta, Timeline, Jonny, Gen. Hancock
Old June 11, 2002, 20:50   #2
Timeline
King

Local Time: 21:23
Campaign Summery:

I value early land grabbing because it leaves options for our people, and allows us to be a large nation without having to go into an early war if we don't want. My plan of strong early expansion will ensure that we as the people, have the option to play the game however we want (peacefully or militaristically).

By voting for me, you will be ensuring that our cities are placed in the most efficient manner possible, with very little land wasted.

I will colonize jungle/desert/tundra areas only when all more valuable locations are settled.

I value strategic, bonus, and luxury resources and will see to it that they are used in the best manner possible.

Also, I understand the importance of waterside cities to ensure our civ's naval superiority, and I i wll lay out our cities to include "panama" type tiles in order that we may be effective in our maritime maneuvers.

Before I conclude I just want to say, should I be elected for this position, I will make informing and listening to the people my TOP and NUMBER 1 Priority as Imperial Expansion Minister. I plan to post detailed information and maps of our expansion area, along with suggestions and remarks, BUT I WILL GIVE YOU, THE PEOPLE, the Final say in all matters. Elect me, and I will be active in getting all the people involved, and everyone will have a say.

Vote for Timeline, and put our nation in line for cities that stand the test of time

Last edited by Timeline; June 12, 2002 at 00:20.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:07   #3
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Obviously one would want rapid early expansion, but there's more to Imperial Expansion. Preventing other (esp more powerful) civs from setting up encleves in the middle of a hole in an empire is critical, because not only would it be embarassing to a nation, but strategicly unsound as well. Also a civ needs resources badly therefore cities placed to absorb a desert might seem wasteful early on but might be valuable for oil later on.

Chandragupta's empire spanned the lands from northern Afghanistan to the Bay of Bengal, and if I am elected I will aid in the creation of one just as glorious. (i.e., vote for me!)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 11, 2002, 21:09   #4
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

My Views on Expansion:

I strive for maximum efficency, with little overlap but few unused squares. I will break this pattern, however, in certain situations (such as when I build a city near an enemy city to try to culture flip a resource).

I think expanding to get land and resources while keeping the land up to date with improvments is important, but getting lots and lots of land is important as well, and I try to balance those.

I build in jungle/desert/tundra after all the good city sites are taken in the hopes that a resource will appear there, and so an AI won't build there.

I strive to claim luxury/strategic/bonus resources with our cities, so others can't have them.

I believe in very little overlap, which means each of our cities are further apart, which claims more land for us.

I believe in building many cities on the coast to give our navies more mobility.

I like to build many cities on our borders with our neighbors to 'culture blitz' them and get cities to flip to our side.

I believe in listening to the people and being friendly.

So, vote for Jonny, the best choice for the Empire!

Last edited by Jonny; June 11, 2002 at 22:57.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:13   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
sorry timeline, i was gonna vote for you but then jonny came along and he's a bit less expansionist than you, just eniugh less o be better...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 11, 2002, 21:14   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I encourage everyone not to be brash with their votes. I have yet to vote in any election (except where the Almighty Banana is present ), because I feel I want to wait and make sure who will support me and my ideas first, and who's ideas I'm sure are what I agree with.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:16   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 19:23
I voted for Jonny because he was the last person to tell me to vote for him. Better luck next time guys.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:25   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

only people i've voted for without seeing their ideas and those of the other guy(s) are the ones in uncontested election. I don't like the banana, we got in a fight and he broke both my legs when we were little

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 11, 2002, 21:48   #9
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

DO any of you support cities being close together? I would vote for that person. Jonny appears to be out in my view.
Old June 11, 2002, 21:55   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 19:23
I support long "walks" on the beach with hot women? Should I run for the Coast Guard leader?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old June 11, 2002, 22:02   #11
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
DO any of you support cities being close together? I would vote for that person. Jonny appears to be out in my view.
I agree with close city placement in most situations, much denser culture, easier to move units from nearby city to bolster another city... gives you a productive edge in building units early on.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 11, 2002, 22:27   #12
Timeline
King

Excellent question, so as to not turn this election thread into another arena of debate, I have posted my answer for you here

(p.s. TechWins: But I was the first, doesn't that count for anything )

(p.s. vote for me )
Old June 11, 2002, 22:31   #13
Jon Shafer

Just thought I'd point it out, but thanks Timeline for not bogging down the elections with explanations/debates. Outlining your position in your first post is best, but anything else is left to other threads.
Old June 11, 2002, 23:09   #14
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

My counterpoint to what Timeline said can be found here.
Old June 12, 2002, 00:20   #15
Moral Hazard
King

I think it's important to decide what happens if there is no majority winner. I started the discussion on the pre-election thread (too lazy to link it is topped tho)
Old June 12, 2002, 01:24   #16
Libertarian2004
Settler

Timelines views for expansion are by far the best
Old June 12, 2002, 03:53   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Libertarian2004. Are you related to any other people who have posted at Poly?
Old June 12, 2002, 05:05   #18
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If election threads aren't for debate and campaigning, what are they for (Posts wise)?? Bumps, and saying "I voted for Bob!"???!?
Old June 12, 2002, 09:01   #19
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wojit
If election threads aren't for debate and campaigning, what are they for (Posts wise)?? Bumps, and saying "I voted for Bob!"???!?
LOL I agree, why not debate here. I dont want to have to search for the bazillion campaign threads.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 12, 2002, 09:46   #20
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:23
Go Timeline
Old June 12, 2002, 09:54   #21
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wojit
People are going to post/spam either way, it's a way to try and cut that down in these threads which have been created solely for the purpose of voting for ministers. If I could have locked the threads as soon as I made them, then I would have, but I can't.
Old June 12, 2002, 14:16   #22
Timeline
King

Can we please have all Election threads topped?

btw: does SPAM stand for anything, and what exactly does it mean?
Old June 12, 2002, 14:30   #23
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
Can we please have all Election threads topped?
Working on it.
Old June 12, 2002, 14:58   #24
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
btw: does SPAM stand for anything, and what exactly does it mean?
It stands for Stupid Person's AdvertiseMent and means unwanted commercial ads. To spam a forum means to flood it with meaningless and irrelevant stuff, just to try to get attention... Considering this, most people spam. Including everyone who's posting here .
Old June 12, 2002, 18:49   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

Atawa, I'm with you, because you, like civman, have experience in this position and will make the game start up more smoothly.
Old June 13, 2002, 21:38   #26
-=MordeN=-
Settler

I voted for Timeline bc his view in expansion will provide a good start, that is VERY important in a civ game, I hav found, and also the good resource thing

GO TIMELINE!!
Old June 14, 2002, 03:00   #27
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:23
In the early stages of a game, it's pretty much a matter of either expanding as fast as you can, or setting yourself up for a slow trip down a side track, quite possibly with a dead end somewhere up ahead...

I voted for Timeline.
Old June 14, 2002, 13:36   #28
Timeline
King

Thanks to everyone who has voted for me . At this point I am announcing my claim to victory over this election, and shall begin my first actions as Imperial Expansion Minister.

Jonny, well fought. As my first official action, I have decided to create a new post in the Expansion Bureau, Deputy Minister of Expansion. This officer will work closely with me and parley with me on city expansion. Jonny, I am extending my offer of this position to you. I await your answer.

Also as IE Minister, I strongly suggest the creation of a “Board of Territorial Development and Expansion”. It should include the City Planner, Public Works Minister, and the Imperial Expansion Minister, and would serve as a place of essential communication between these closely linked positions. Out of my pledge to obey the people’s will, however, I will await a favorable response, and affirmative votes from the other involved representatives, before officially founding this board. Please see the thread here for discussion.

I would just like to say, once again, thank you people of Apolytonia!!! Truly, you have set our nation on the track of success.
Old June 15, 2002, 10:40   #29
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras

LOL I agree, why not debate here. I dont want to have to search for the bazillion campaign threads.

Oh, that's right! Let the intellectuals have the greates influence through their high level civic debates.
Well, and some power to the people too...
Old June 15, 2002, 12:09   #30
Timeline
King

Timeline . . . FOR the people!!!

- Thank you