Old June 12, 2002, 14:38   #1
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 21:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Am I missing something?
Every now and then the chat room participants catch my eye. But most of the time there's only one person in the chat room. Who is he chatting with? Am I missing something?

If you choose the invisible option in your preferences, does it not list you when you're in the chat room?

I can see going there while waiting for someone else to show up, but that doesn't seem to account for all the times I've only seen one person in there.

What am I missing?

RAH
Old June 12, 2002, 14:45   #2
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:25
yes.

You are missing the ability to open multiple windows of your browser. Thus, one can go into the chat room and wait while surifing the rest of the net. You have to check back ocassionaly of course. If the system had a bell/buzzer like IRC, you wouldn't even need to check back. You'd be notified when someone joined the chat.

It's amazing to me how amny people don't undedrstand this. (You can tell they don't understand this when they show up in the chat room, say hello (expecting an instant reply) and then get frustrated and leave, rather than opening an extra window, and checking back.)
Old June 12, 2002, 14:48   #3
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Then what's the point of going there, since you seem to have reduced it to a glorified PM. It's supposed to be real time, and if you're experience isn't, why go there WAITING. You're right, even after you tell me, I don't understand.

RAH
Old June 12, 2002, 14:48   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Replies can take a long time in the chat room- and almost inevitably someone at work will leave the chat on hidden under other windows, go to lunch, then return... since many people donāt turn off work computers.

thus even if someone is listed as being in the cahtroom, heās not really ,there,.
Old June 12, 2002, 14:53   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 20:25
It's not too hard.

People go there waiting for someone else to come chat, they surf around Poly and they notice at the top of the page when someone else enters so they go back to the chat window and chat...

If nobody went in there while it's empty no one would chat at all.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:00   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, rah, thats what it is, it IS a PM... it is merely a realtime PM... that can be done between multiple people.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:03   #7
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Then what's the point of going there, since you seem to have reduced it to a glorified PM. It's supposed to be real time, and if you're experience isn't, why go there WAITING. You're right, even after you tell me, I don't understand.

RAH
The way I described is how chats work out, Rah. If you expect to magically have someone else walk in right when you do, you will be out of luck. If you enter the chat and just check back every few minutes (as you surf Poly or whatever for an hour or so) than you will often be able to work out a decent conversation.

Is this really such a tough concept to work out?
Old June 12, 2002, 15:15   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:25
The only thing that bugs me about loners in the chat room is the thing on the top of the page saying:
| Chat (1 people) |
aaargh!! 1 person!
Old June 12, 2002, 15:23   #9
DarkCloud
staff

How do you know what constitutes english in greece

If you send markos 20 emails a day for a month he may fix it eventually
Old June 12, 2002, 16:36   #10
spartak
King

Old June 12, 2002, 16:49   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:25
Re: Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Every now and then the chat room participants catch my eye. But most of the time there's only one person in the chat room. Who is he chatting with? Am I missing something?

If you choose the invisible option in your preferences, does it not list you when you're in the chat room?

I can see going there while waiting for someone else to show up, but that doesn't seem to account for all the times I've only seen one person in there.

What am I missing?

RAH
hi ,

Rah , sometimes your sreen say one person in , because you have just visited the chat , its like the line to the chatroom stay's open , ....
however when you check this from an other comp you have left , ...
and sometimes you are gone , and yet an other person still "sees" you , ......

Solver has a thread on it ; ID52519

have a nice day
Old June 12, 2002, 17:20   #12
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
The only thing that bugs me about loners in the chat room is the thing on the top of the page saying:
| Chat (1 people) |
aaargh!! 1 person!
Just go into chat yourself to make two people, or leave to make no people, if you want the grammar to be more pallatable.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:58   #13
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I still think it's silly. On can count on one hand how many times i've seen more than one person there.
Most of the time it's only one.
Must be like some of the debates in the OT

Do people make appointments to meet in the chat room?
(like women at the beauty parlor.)

RAH
Old June 13, 2002, 17:24   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:25
No, people just feel like chatting so enter the chatroom. They sit in there, hoping someone else will enter (seeing as there is now someone in the chatroom).
Apart from the Candle'Bre chat, I don't think anyone has made appointments to meet in the chatroom.
Old June 13, 2002, 17:38   #15
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'll go in if others are in there (usually Finns or CtPers) or if there is someone online I would vaguely like to speak to, and try and lure them in
Old June 13, 2002, 17:45   #16
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
No, people just feel like chatting so enter the chatroom. They sit in there, hoping someone else will enter
Somehow that just reeks of desperation.

I guess I'm spoiled by ICQ. I can see who is available, and who I want to talk to. (as I get older, that list get's shorter ) Waiting for some random person to come chat seems a bit spooky. (yes my age is showing again)

Then If they're paying attention I can just use ICQ-phone and actually talk to the person. It's great to use during CivII MP games with another player in the game.
I've been known to icaphone chat with another player for over 6 hours, (if the game takes that long) It helps pass the time inbetween turns.

But the big thing is if someone is looking for me, I'll be notified and I can decide if I want to answer.

RAH

IW, that at least makes sense.
Old June 13, 2002, 18:29   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ah, but rah, surely logging on to ICQ even when nobody else is online is somewhat the same thing?
Old June 13, 2002, 18:47   #18
JohnIII
Warlord

It should be persons, not people. See Strunk & White.
Old June 13, 2002, 18:52   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Rah, you just don't get it do you. If the person who comes in is worth chatting to, than you do. If not, not. Similarly if the topic interests you chat, otherwise not. It takes a few seconds to scan the conversation to see if it is interesting. There's no downside to having another browser window open, while you surf.
Old June 13, 2002, 23:37   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:25
It uses a bit of memory
But true enough, theres no real downside.
Old June 14, 2002, 09:22   #21
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Ah, but rah, surely logging on to ICQ even when nobody else is online is somewhat the same thing?
Not really. My ICQ list is customized with just the people I'd want to chat with. Personally there are a heck of a lot of people in the OT that are a little scary. Stewies in the CHAT ROOM, Oh boy
And In ICQ (or other chat software) I have the option to be invisible, listed as away, or NA.

I have never and will never seek out truely random chats.

And Finally GP, If there a few people in the chat room that you don't want to chat with and a few you do, your options are limited.

And I guess that sums up the differences. There are much better chat software packages that offer more control then the one here.

I'm sure quite a few people agree with me on this one based on the low number of people I usually see in the chat room. Considering just how many people post here, It's really a very low percentage that have used it.

RAH
Old June 14, 2002, 11:45   #22
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Well Rich, somebody has to be first in, so I think that's why you see just one guy in there.

I agree with the other stuff, on ICQ and other IMS I'm never "there", simply because I'm either busy or really don't feel like talking to everybody.

I personally don't see the point of chat on a message board, but hey, if people dig it, who am I to object?
Old June 14, 2002, 11:53   #23
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
I personally don't see the point of chat on a message board, but hey, if people dig it, who am I to object?
That sums it up perfectly.
Thank you, I am not alone.

RAH
Old June 14, 2002, 12:22   #24
DarkCloud
staff

Rah, you must be on at the wrong times, I usually see either 0 or 2 or more people in the room... I hardly ever see one?

and I agree with Chris
Iāve only used chat once
Old June 14, 2002, 20:01   #25
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
Horses chat room works much better

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 14, 2002, 20:39   #26
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:25
That's cause he's a one horse conversation.