Old June 12, 2002, 15:07   #1
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
USA Drivers licences
Ive always thought its crazy that each state has its own drivers license and road rules. In most cases, if you move to another state, you can exchange your old drivers license for one from that state, but in some cases they require you to do you drivers tests all over again. For example, if I move from New York to New Jersey I will have to take tests before they will give me a licence, even though I have a New York licence already.

Will the USA ever get a national licence and make all their road rules the same? I think it would be a good idea.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:11   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
I'm a moderate liberal, but I say that driving regulations in this aspect, is best left to the individual states.

We're better off I believe, by putting up with the inconveniences of moving from one state to another and obtaining new driver's license and testing.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:12   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The States wouldn't want to give up the revenue they get from making your pay for a new one every few years.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:13   #4
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

As mobile a country as we are, a national drivers license is probably a good idea. I still haven't changed my license to Florida. Need to do that.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 12, 2002, 15:13   #5
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I'm a moderate liberal, but I say that driving regulations in this aspect, is best left to the individual states.
Why? Some states have different driving rules than others, dont you think thats dangerous and confusing?
Quote:
We're better off I believe, by putting up with the inconveniences of moving from one state to another and obtaining new driver's license and testing.
Why?
Old June 12, 2002, 15:15   #6
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The States wouldn't want to give up the revenue they get from making your pay for a new one every few years.

-Arrian
They wouldnt have to. They could still do that with a national drivers licence.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:18   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Cali,

Yeah, but the money would go to the Feds, not the States. State governments would fight to keep that source of revenue. That's my guess. I could be totally wrong on that, but in my experience, any government is loathe to surrender something that brings in cash.

I think a national driver's license would be a good thing, overall.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:21   #8
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Cali,

Yeah, but the money would go to the Feds, not the States. State governments would fight to keep that source of revenue. That's my guess. I could be totally wrong on that, but in my experience, any government is loathe to surrender something that brings in cash.
Surely there would be some way around this, like making the feds compensate each state for the loss of revenue calculated by the number of people in that state with national drivers licences.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:22   #9
drake
King

Truthfully, I don't give a damn.........
Old June 12, 2002, 15:23   #10
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

Why? Some states have different driving rules than others, dont you think thats dangerous and confusing?
No, I do not think that is dangerous and confusing.
I fail to see where the danger lies in allowing each state to enact different driving regulations.
Any confusion can be resolved simply by becoming informed about the state you're living in, and the state you plan to move to.
Ignorance is just an excuse used by lazy people (not implying you).

Quote:
Why?
Because, the inconveniences that we endure are not so bad as to justify yet, ANOTHER area where the federal government would take over, and maybe mess things up. OMG -- sounding conservative there.

Besides, we have plenty of hassle-free mobility when it comes to road traveling in the United States. You can go anywhere in the continental United States as a traveler, without ever having to obtain a new driver's license or new testing.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:26   #11
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Truthfully, I don't give a damn.........
Thanks for that.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:29   #12
MrFun
Emperor

Hopefully, I answered your questions, Cal.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:31   #13
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Any confusion can be resolved simply by becoming informed about the state you're living in, and the state you plan to move to.
Ignorance is just an excuse used by lazy people (not implying you).
Sure, but there are a lot of lazy and ignorant people out there who might smash into you because they dont know the local road rules. Wouldnt you like to make that less likely to happen?
Old June 12, 2002, 15:33   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

Sure, but there are a lot of lazy and ignorant people out there who might smash into you because they dont know the local road rules. Wouldnt you like to make that less likely to happen?
It's one of those risks I am willing to take in my day-to-day life.

Just like walking into and out of a night club at night.

Or, crossing the streets.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:35   #15
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:25
They don't have to give up the taxes. They can just pass new laws (and they've still got registration). You know, a tax for allowing you to use your national license in that state, a tax for registering your national license in their state system (do you really think a national directory would be tenable?), a tax for driving on weekdays, a similar one for weekends, a tax for using state highways, a tax for living in high (or low) traffic areas, a tax for not using your car enough, a tax for using it too much, a tax for not getting enough tickets, and a tax for wasting the DMV's time.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:35   #16
Caligastia
Emperor

Its a risk that can be reduced though.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:36   #17
Arrian
Deity

How's this: make the driving tests harder. There are a lot of really bad drivers out there. I've heard that driving tests in Europe are much more difficult, and it is common to fail a couple of times before getting your license.

Arrian's 1-step program for improving driving across the US: instruct the police to actually enforce the law regarding the use of turn signals.

Of course, that would mean the cops should probably start using their signals too (which, in my experience, they don't).

-Arrian

Old June 12, 2002, 15:38   #18
drake
King

I want to know what some of these rules are that differ state to state and could pose a risk. I can't think of any traffic laws that are specific only to single states.

Arrian...about the turn signals. I do my part and beep the crap out of people that slow down and turn in front of me without the blinker.

It takes minimal effort. A little courtesy. Why people can't get that through their thick skulls baffles me.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:39   #19
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Its a risk that can be reduced though.
It just would not be worth it in my opinion, to federalize such driving regulations.

Each state can do just fine with their driving regulations.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:42   #20
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
I want to know what some of these rules are that differ state to state and could pose a risk. I can't think of any traffic laws that are specific only to single states.
Making right turns on red lights. Traffic island right-of-way rules.

Those are two I can think of right away.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:47   #21
drake
King

Right turn on red lights are legal in any place unless posted otherwise to my knowledge, but then I suppose I could be wrong.....

What the hell is a traffic island right of way?

We actually have some different rules here in Mass:

Yellow Lights/ Yield Sign = Go
Red Lights/ Stop Sign = Yield

Atleast thats the way it seems most of the time round here
Old June 12, 2002, 15:51   #22
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
A couple of examples.

1. The District of Columbia, which is almost exclusively urban, allows right turn on red only where posted. Other states, mainly rural ones, allow right turn on red unless posted otherwise. IIRC, Illinois and Wisconsin also used to have different laws in this regard. (First pendant to complain that DC is not a state gets shot. )

2. States on or west of the Rocky Mountains generally allow large trucks on the interstate highways (2x48' or 3x28'). States in the eastern part of the country generally do not. The reason is that eastern interstates often tighter curves and narrower lanes than those in the west. Note that none of this has stopped the trucking lobby from pushing for huge trucks nationwide.
Old June 12, 2002, 15:53   #23
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Arrian...about the turn signals. I do my part and beep the crap out of people that slow down and turn in front of me without the blinker.

It takes minimal effort. A little courtesy. Why people can't get that through their thick skulls baffles me.
It's so common I no longer honk my horn unless the person also cuts me off (also fairly common). Then they get a full-on response: car horn honkin', middle finger in the air.

There are few things that irritate me more than lack of signaling. My bloodpressure rises just thinking about it.

Cali does have a point about Turn on Red regs varying from State to State. But that usually just results in some extra ticket revenue

-Arrian

p.s. The most aggressive drivers I've ever seen are in Boston. I hate driving in Boston (and I would be considered an aggressive driver by most people).

In CT, the "stop sign" is actually the "roll slowly through sign."

Old June 12, 2002, 15:56   #24
chequita guevara
Emperor

U-turns aren't legal in every state, MrFun. In some states you can pass on a double yellow, in others you cannot pass when there's a solid yellow.

tandeetaylor's taxing scenario is a insane. You can't be taxed for another government's program. However, to replace taxes for the loss of the DL, they could institute a road tax, all residents have to pay for the maintence and upkeep of their road system.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 12, 2002, 15:58   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

Oh the other hand, I do think people should have to take the written exam every year, and the drivers test every five. Once people get their license that act like it's a freakin' entitlement and get lazier and laizer with their driving.
Old June 12, 2002, 16:20   #26
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Oh the other hand, I do think people should have to take the written exam every year, and the drivers test every five. Once people get their license that act like it's a freakin' entitlement and get lazier and laizer with their driving.

Until recently (when they changed the rules) my New Zealand drivers license said: expiry 2045
Old June 12, 2002, 17:04   #27
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Or then you can all just get yourselves international driver's licensens and be done with it. Good in every state - and, incidentally, although most yanks won't care - good in every country on Earth.

"It's my way! It's the highway!"
Old June 12, 2002, 17:23   #28
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:25
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
tandeetaylor's taxing scenario is a insane. You can't be taxed for another government's program.
It was a joke, Chegitz. It may not have been funny, but it was a joke.

Here's another joke that's not funny:

Wait. There are rules to taxing?
Old June 12, 2002, 17:24   #29
Arrian
Deity

No, actually, "My way" refers only to the far left lane of the highway. I forget the name for the middle lane, but the right lane is "the glory lane."

-Arrian

Old June 12, 2002, 17:32   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I think we should keep the seperate licenses. After all, while it may make sense in Jersey to have 17 be the age for licenses, in some rural states maybe it'd be better for 15 or 16 to be the age for licensing (for say, driving tractors, etc.). Each state has its own age limits.

Hell, I like a little decentralization on things .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)