Old June 13, 2002, 12:58   #61
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by drake
A tailgater isn't inherently dangerous. Annoying perhaps, but not necessarily a danger.
Unless they are planning on passing you momentarially, they pose a danger to you in the instance that you actually do have to make a stop that they don't expect.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:03   #62
drake
King

Local Time: 22:25
Cal - http://www.bigdig.com/

Only the biggest single Highway project in US history. In the restructuring effort, almost every road near the site is in continual disrepair. Real mess. Very holy, very confusing, very rough on the vehicle
Old June 13, 2002, 13:07   #63
Caligastia
Emperor

So you guys need suvs too.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:23   #64
axi
Prince

Local Time: 05:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well it makes sense traffic-wise, but actually since the general rule is that the one coming from the right has priority, these who enter the roundabout have priority because we are turning rightwards. I don't know if the UK roundabouts are turning leftwards, but if they do, the same rule (left priority) should apply.

The most reasonable explanation is the role of roundabouts in the US and UK. There you have them in big intersections with heavy traffic, while we have only a few big ones and many smaller ones, where the "do as you would do in any intersenction" rule is more practical. In fact a know a couple of bid roundabouts in Athens where they have reversed priorities using stop signs.

As for the usefulness of paralell parking and manual gearbox, it is essential because you may very well find yourself in a situation where you will need to do it and then the trouble will be larger. In fact I believe that people should be examined in manuevering with trailers and moving in slippery road conditions.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:24   #65
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Roundabouts?

We in Jersey are the only state in the union with things called 'jughandles'. I think other states should adopt them as well
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 13, 2002, 13:26   #66
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Um, cool -- so where did I comment on U-turns, anyway??
You dismissed the idea that there were different rules in different states.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 13, 2002, 13:28   #67
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
People that slam on their brakes in front of people they think are tailing too close are much bigger morons than the tailgaters themself. A tailgater isn't inherently dangerous. Annoying perhaps, but not necessarily a danger.
If you have to slam on your brakes all of a sudden for real, the tailgater becomes a life-threatening danger. Even thinking about tailgators makes me mad.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Last edited by chequita guevara; June 13, 2002 at 13:53.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:30   #68
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:25
Quote:
USA Drivers licences
Woohoo, I can claim a moral victory for British spelling

Well OK, you're an NZer, but you are resident in the US, and that's close enough for me

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 13, 2002, 13:34   #69
Provost Harrison
Deity

I must admit though that from what I have heard from other people, the US system of licencing seems incredibly laxed. Over here it is very difficult to get a driving licence. And I still think there should be further training to learners in motorway driving. From what I see, skills are woefully lacking in this department. However, it is not allowed for a learner to drive on a motorway, which is a bit silly in this regard.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 13, 2002, 13:37   #70
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Woohoo, I can claim a moral victory for British spelling

Well OK, you're an NZer, but you are resident in the US, and that's close enough for me

well how do americans spell it?
Old June 13, 2002, 13:37   #71
drake
King

Someone thats not paying attention is 10X more likely to hit you than someone whos tailgaiting you che.

I've been in back of a few retards who in their judgement thought I was too close to them and slammed on their brakes, coming close to causing accidents. Now how smart is that? Someone causing an accident because they, in their opinion, feel someone behind them were too close and were causing a danger to them. When in reality they are the one who is dangerous with their temper and poor judgement.

Laughable in fact.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:39   #72
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia

Until recently (when they changed the rules) my New Zealand drivers license said: expiry 2045
Looks like ive subconciously been using the american spelling too!
Old June 13, 2002, 13:41   #73
Provost Harrison
Deity

It is license in the US (so I believe).

Yeah, my driving licence doesn't expire until 2047

Old June 13, 2002, 13:45   #74
axi
Prince

Mine is expiring in 2044. I guess that Greece has a 65yo expiry and the UK has it at 70yo...
Old June 13, 2002, 13:55   #75
chequita guevara
Emperor

Drake, I have had to slam hard on the brakes coming to a complete stop o an interstate because of deer. If someone had been tailgating me, he would have come through the back of my car.

I have also notied people tailgating me when I was driving a rental truck, and could not easily see people behind me. I could have had to slow suddenly without realizing that person was there.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:57   #76
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yeah, you have to take a medical every two years after the age of 70 to get your licence renewed...

Old June 13, 2002, 14:04   #77
drake
King

Yes, but in the end though Che, you can only really worry about yourself. Getting caught up with what people behind you are doing distracts a driver even more.

And though you have HAD to slam on your brakes, theres no guarantee that a tailgater would slam you. Granted the reaction time is much lower, but it would certainly be possible for someone behind you to stop too. If a guy was ten car lengths behind you, looked down to adjust his radio and looked up to see you coming to a screeching halt, he probably wouldnt be able to stop either.

I don't like tailgaters either, I was simply stating that a person that slames on their breaks, creating imminent danger to both themselves and the people behind them, are more reckless and dangerous than the tailgaters themselves.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:08   #78
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 20:25
Re: USA Drivers licences
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Ive always thought its crazy that each state has its own drivers license and road rules.
Agreed, varying regulations just serve to confuse the public and allow for police abuse. Road rules, as well as the entire criminal code should be standardized. There's really no need for states. The states should be eliminated alltogether.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:09   #79
Imran Siddiqui
staff

BAH!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 13, 2002, 14:10   #80
axi
Prince

Even more dangerous that tailgaters are people who forget to replace their brake lights when they're burned out.

There are too many of these SoBs in the Greek roads. And what's the worst, once you crash on them, you can no longer prove that the bastard had no brake lights.

Always check your lights folks.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:31   #81
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yeah, brakelights are a very hard thing to keep track of though, my dad noticed I had one out the other day, replaced now.

Tailgaters are the worst though IMO, really, really annoy me.

Old June 13, 2002, 14:44   #82
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Tailgating is bad. Slamming on breaks to get tailgater to move back also bad. I tend to tap my breaks (just so the lights go on w/o slowing down) three times in quick succession. They usually get the idea.

Most annoying things on the road for me:

1) failure to signal
2) failure to use the left lane on the highway properly (it's the PASSING LANE you morons!)
3) failure to keep your vehicle in your own bloody lane.
4) On non-highways, or in heavy highway traffic, the guy who blows by everyone in the "right turn only" lane or exit ramp or shoulder, only to cut back in at the last possible moment. Don't be that guy.
5) Tailgating (usually only bugs me if they are really, really close - like in my trunk).

Basically, as George Carlin put it: Anyone who drives slower than you is a moron and anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 13, 2002, 14:47   #83
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Basically, as George Carlin put it: Anyone who drives slower than you is a moron and anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac.

-Arrian
Hehe, so true...My speed is variable. Around urban areas I am quite slow and conscientious, after all, with all the traffic lights and junctions, you aren't getting anywhere any faster..

...get me on the open road and I go like sh*t off a stick...

So what annoys me are the people who 'drive 50 on any road'...it's a hazard on an urban road because of their excessive speed, and a hazard on a major road like a motorway because you are not keeping up with the flow of traffic.

But yeah, people who do not signal are one of my pet peeves (*ahem* taxi drivers). I am sure they expect other people to be psychic.

Old June 13, 2002, 14:51   #84
drake
King

Quote:
4) On non-highways, or in heavy highway traffic, the guy who blows by everyone in the "right turn only" lane or exit ramp or shoulder, only to cut back in at the last possible moment. Don't be that guy.
Ahh yes, my name for that is the "special person" lane. It's for the people who feel they're better than everyone else and deserve special treatment.

There's also the "I have a cell phone" right of way rule. In an intersection, the person with the phone has the right of way. NO MATTER WHAT. Get out of their way, because if they are on their phone, they MUST be really really important people

Arrian, I've been known to "accidentally" swerve in front of people trying to pass in the breakdown lane...oops
Old June 13, 2002, 14:52   #85
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I should try that... those 'special people' really get on my nerves... and people actually let them in!!!
Old June 13, 2002, 14:53   #86
axi
Prince

A bus driver with a bad attitude is worst of all. He will crash into you and then you will have to pay him too, because he always has priority.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:02   #87
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 18:25
Quote:
I want to know what some of these rules are that differ state to state and could pose a risk. I can't think of any traffic laws that are specific only to single states.
No speed limit on open highways. Montana had that. They may have dropped it after the death shot up though.

Helmet laws were not universal for a long time. California finally gave up fighting against helmet laws and now it may be the law in all states.

Right hand turn on a red light is legal some places and ilegal in others.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:17   #88
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Arrian, I've been known to "accidentally" swerve in front of people trying to pass in the breakdown lane...oops
I've been known to try and block those yo-yos too, but I don't drive a monster SUV, so it's tough to block them completely. There sure seem to be a lot of these "special people" up here in the NE. Probably has to do with the traffic density.

By the way, I really do pity you... the Big Dig is an atrocity. Besides forcing all sorts of bizarre ramps and curves to get around it, it looks like a strip mine.

Imran,

I am consistently boggled by that too! Why people let them in without a fight is beyond me.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:18   #89
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I should try that... those 'special people' really get on my nerves... and people actually let them in!!!
The people who let them in piss me off more than the arsehole in the breakdown lane.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:19   #90
Provost Harrison
Deity

Sheesh, doing anything like that on the hardshoulder (or to you, breakdown lane so it would appear) is very rare. If they were caught doing that, the penalty would be very hefty...