Old June 13, 2002, 15:27   #91
drake
King

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Heh...I have had the pleasure of seeing some of these numbunts actually pass cops in the breakdown lane. Needless to say the got busted and probably wont do it again

I fotunately don't do Boston on a daily basis, I go around the city on the way to work, but when I do go through, oh boy, its a mess. Its especially confusing because the roads and detours are in a different place every time.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:28   #92
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah, I've seen them on those shows with the police where they nick people doing that. IIRC, they got slammed with a dangerous driving charge, and that is a minimum 3 month disqualification Not really worth it, you see...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 13, 2002, 15:29   #93
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

...it may even be minimum 6 months.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 13, 2002, 15:30   #94
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Americans are horrible tailgaters IMO
Do you mean America has horrible tailgaters, or that all Americans are horrible tailgaters?

Or do you mean that Americans can't tailgate worth of damn because they are horrible at it?

Aren't generalizations fun?!!
Old June 13, 2002, 15:33   #95
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba

Do you mean America has horrible tailgaters, or that all Americans are horrible tailgaters?

Or do you mean that Americans can't tailgate worth of damn because they are horrible at it?

Aren't generalizations fun?!!

Ok, Ill clarify:

I find americans in general tailgate more excessively than people in other countries Ive lived in.

Better?
Old June 13, 2002, 17:03   #96
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Man, it must be god-awful over there, because the only time I consider driving over here to be paradise is when traffic is really light, and I pretty much have an open road in front of me.
I was refering to driving in Chicago. I haven't really driven anywhere else much.

BTW, MoominP is right. Roundabouts (traffic Islands) work the same way in Germnay and France as they do in the UK.

Axi: The prioroty to the (left)right rule does not exist in the UK, so roundabouts seem perfetly logical.

And as for the breakdown lane/hard shoulder, the reason why people don't use that to overtake in Europe is because it is illegal to overtake on the right (left in UK) on freeways. I believe it is not on US freeways?

Last edited by Rogan Josh; June 13, 2002 at 17:13.
Old June 13, 2002, 17:34   #97
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Yes, it is Rogan, which is why it is even more anoying .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 13, 2002, 17:41   #98
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
In theory, a national system would be better; but in reality, its best left to the states. I live in Illinois, I've driven in Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Arizona without any problems whatsoever. Plus, I don't think there is a set of traffic laws that people could agree on.

It's just like a speed limit. You can't have one set limit for every single street. You can't have one set of licenses and laws for every single state because they are all different.
Old June 14, 2002, 09:24   #99
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

Local Time: 04:25
The official rule in Romania = if you hit someone in the back, you are guilty. It’s your obligation to drive at a safe distance. The reason for witch the one in front of you brakes hard is simply irrelevant.

IMO drivers should take test every few years. I know from my own experience – not having a car of my own, I have long periods of time when I don’t drive at all and that it shows.
Old June 14, 2002, 10:13   #100
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

I took and passed my driving test in New York City in August 2001.

The NYC rules regarding driving licences are that driving penalties are DOUBLED for your first six months.

Well, immediately after I passed my test, I left the state and then afterwards, the country. During this time I have not touched a steering wheel once.

When I go back in July, I'm going to be the holder of a valid NYC driver's licence, but I will have forgotten how to drive a car. Any mistakes I make will not have any abnormally strict regulations concerning them.

An unusual (and rather amusing) way of sidestepping NYC driving guidelines.
Old June 14, 2002, 10:56   #101
axi
Prince

Local Time: 05:25
Quote:
Axi: The prioroty to the (left)right rule does not exist in the UK, so roundabouts seem perfetly logical.
So when you are at an unsigned crossroad, who has the priority?
Old June 14, 2002, 12:34   #102
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by axi
So when you are at an unsigned crossroad, who has the priority?
There are no unsigned crossroads - simple as that. One road always has priority and is marked so (or there is a roundabout).
Old June 14, 2002, 16:13   #103
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 18:25
Roundabouts are rare in the US. I know of two in Southern California, both are called circles rather than roundabouts and are counter clockwise, and only one is similar in size to the ones in British film and TV. That one one is in a small city near me and people that don't drive it much have some problems.

The other is a monster called The Circle in Long Beach. Five different major streets, one a diagnal, meet in a huge circle. Its three lanes wide at the minimum and segments are four lanes. The center circle is large enough for at least a supermarket but it is empty as it would be pedestrian nightmare. Its fast moving and intimidating. People often refuse to follow directions that include taking The Circle, and people will often try to avoid it going miles out of the way. Only the experienced go on the thing without getting nervous.
Old June 14, 2002, 17:13   #104
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Roundabouts are rare in the US

Obviously you've never driven in the North East,
There aren't many around Chicago. (but a lot of sixway intersections). But whenever I drive in Mass, RI, there are roundabouts all over the place.

I'm sure you'll be hearing it from many other East Coast people.

RAH

Last edited by rah; June 14, 2002 at 17:19.
Old June 14, 2002, 17:35   #105
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by axi
Mine is expiring in 2044. I guess that Greece has a 65yo expiry and the UK has it at 70yo...

damn. In my state we have to get them every 4-8 years. Although I don't have to pay for my car registration like everyone else does. Working for the state does have some privilages.

The circles in the US that I have seen tend to be bigger then the ones in Europe.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 14, 2002, 17:59   #106
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 18:25
Ariel photo of the Long Beach Traffic Circle

Taken in 1977. As you can see its a circle within a circle.