View Poll Results: What do you think of the homepage re-design?
A+ 9 23.08%
A 10 25.64%
A- 4 10.26%
B+ 7 17.95%
B 4 10.26%
B- 0 0%
C+ 0 0%
C 3 7.69%
C- 0 0%
D+ 2 5.13%
F 0 0%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14, 2002, 16:00   #61
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Perfect! Thanks.
Old June 14, 2002, 16:53   #62
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 22:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnIII
Mark, thanks for the fixes! I like the factt hat the intro link is slightly different to the rest.

Dan, that isn't a suggestion at all, that's an excuse. Being wordy and pretentious is not a matter of style, it's a matter of not knowing how to write.

The welcome paragraph sounds like a badly-written politician's speech, and doesn't really tell you anything, apart from:
1) Civilization.
2) Founded on 26th July 1998.
3) Civ.
Now we're getting personal, John, where there is no need. Whether you find the summary pretentious, which is intended to promote the site (we are allowed to "toot our own horn" now and again, aren't we? {grin}), or not is not a matter of question as to who and who cannot write. This description has served the site well and is no need of further modification. The introductory page link from this point allows visitors to 'bypass' the character if they choose to do so. We don't force you to read it.

As for the issue in terms of the layout of the paragraph on the homepage and the text on the "Introduction" page, as you already said there is no real constructive way around it.

------------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old June 14, 2002, 18:36   #63
JohnIII
Warlord

Local Time: 02:26
Personal? If you poured your heart and soul into that paragraph, then yes, otherwise that's just a way of avoiding the issue.

Like GP said, read Strunk & White's Elements of Style. You seem to be unclear about what pretentious is: you are certainly allowed to toot your own horn, but that's not what pretentious means.
Old June 14, 2002, 18:52   #64
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnIII
Personal? If you poured your heart and soul into that paragraph, then yes, otherwise that's just a way of avoiding the issue.

Like GP said, read Strunk & White's Elements of Style. You seem to be unclear about what pretentious is: you are certainly allowed to toot your own horn, but that's not what pretentious means.
"Personal" may have been a strong word but I believe you are making a big deal out of nothing. I do know what the word "pretentious" means: showy, pompus, conceited... just to name a few synonyms. What I said in my previous post was along the lines of understanding that definition and responding to it.

In summary, you don't like the paragraph in question, I think it's fine the way it is. Let's agree to disagree and be done with this. Peace?

------------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old June 14, 2002, 19:05   #65
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Is there a logical difference between blue and red table heading cells? I'd pick one colour and stick with it.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who turned the SLeague completely orange.
Old June 14, 2002, 19:17   #66
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Is there a logical difference between blue and red table heading cells? I'd pick one colour and stick with it.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who turned the SLeague completely orange.

Blue and red are Apolyton's "traditional" colours and are met to compliment each other yet at the same time stand apart.

--------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old June 14, 2002, 19:54   #67
St Leo

Aaargh, Symbolism! Get it off me! Dirty, dirty, dirty.
Old June 14, 2002, 20:05   #68
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:26
I like symbolism. Gives meaning to things that seemingly have none at all.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 14, 2002, 20:16   #69
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ

Blue and red are Apolyton's "traditional" colours and are met to compliment each other yet at the same time stand apart.

--------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
hi ,

red - white - blue , nice , also the colours of the US flag , any meaning to this , ....

for what its worth , the site is nice , and ones again the best site concerning civ in general , and the way its going very soon to become a "true virtue" , a quote from a couple of people who dont like any other gaming releted site , .....

at least this site gets updated

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; June 20, 2002 at 17:36.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:12   #70
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 18:26
Where is my avatar??
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old June 20, 2002, 08:56   #71
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 21:26
Pretty much totally rocking, guys. Love the My Poly feature -- with avatar! Very cool.

That would be an "A"

My only comments are regarding the fora -- They really seem underemphasized. Definitely rate a mention in the text paragraph, and perhaps a dedicated GIF link (like interviews and chat log). This is the most outstanding feature of the site, and that should be clear on the homepage.

In general, Poly is a Community more than it is a download site or news site. Slipping the phrase "interactive discussions" into the Welcom paragraph doesn't do it justice.

But as for the basic design and coding -- Great work, a major upgrade!! I'm changing my bookmark to the homepage.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 20, 2002, 15:49   #72
St Leo

<i>ed - white - blue , nice , alos the colours of the US flag , any meaning to this , ....</i>

And French and Russian.