Old June 13, 2002, 13:23   #1
Captain
King

Local Time: 21:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
NAME the EMPIRE
As popularly requested...

Here are the top contenders plus Dominion.

This is not a poll (because I screwed up), just gathering more options.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:32   #2
Timeline
King

Well, i would like Apolyton Dominion and would vote for it in a poll.
Old June 13, 2002, 15:33   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't think we should make a new poll to include Apolyton Dominion :
- Only 5-6 people have shown concern for this name, so it has no hope to win.
- Making a new name poll will delay the starting of the game further.
- Many people who have voted in the early name poll will probably not be aware there is a new one, and won't bother visiting. That would be antidemocratic.

Note : the likely winner of the name poll is what I wish, so supporting the creation of a new poll would serve my interests. But it's just bad for true democracy.
Old June 13, 2002, 16:02   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:29
We already had a poll on this. You can't have another one.
Old June 13, 2002, 19:14   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I would liek to point out that the last poll was extremely UNdemocratic, because the names put up were invented by the person writing the poll and were NOT the result of citizen input. That's an absurd way to vote on anything and we need to re-vote to restore the faith of our people in our democratic traditions.

Ideas for names should be collected before a poll is formed; that's plain to see.
Old June 13, 2002, 19:19   #6
Cyclotron
King

I would like to add, skywalker, that the second provision of the pollting standards thread recommends:

Quote:
2. Polls should have a separate discussion thread before the poll itself is posted (where appropriate), to allow discussion of the topic and to get an idea of the various necessary poll options.
So, the naming poll was illegitimate and must be re-done after more brainstorming.
Old June 13, 2002, 19:56   #7
Spiffor

I don't mind having a loooooong Civ3Demo, but I would mind not starting in the next year. We can quibble on pretty anything, and quibbling is boring.
Although the name poll wasn't legitimate, a huge majority of voters recognized themselves in the suggested names. Only a few expressed concern that their name (Dominion of Apolyton) wasn't in.

I don't want to delay the game one week more, just because 5-6 people want to see their name is not widely accepted. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Sorry, Cyclotron and Captain, but I won't follow you at all on this one
Old June 13, 2002, 20:33   #8
Cyclotron
King

Don't exaggerate, Spiffor. It won't take us a year to re-vote. In addition, the game doesn't have to be delayed because we don't have a name yet. I say we give democracy a chance and actually talk about names before voting on them.

Could you explain to me why this will delay the game... at all?
Old June 13, 2002, 20:58   #9
Spiffor

Most polls expire saturnday or sooner. The game is likely to start saturnday, with the minister of finance coming 2 days later or so (since he won't have anything to do the first days).
But, contrary to the minister of finance, we need to know our name right from the beginning. It means setting up a poll which will last 3 days !
Many people will probably not vote in it... So I think it's less demoratic in the result, even if the motivation is democratic.

I talked about "delaying a year" because such discussions can arise for anything already decided or soonly decided. If this quibbling is successful and creates other quibbling, the game won't start in an astronomical time.
Old June 13, 2002, 21:19   #10
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:29
I'm in favor of going with Republic of Apolytonia.

As has been stated, only a handful of people are in favor of Dominion of Apolyton. If it had been included in the original poll, I don't think the results would have been changed much.

On the other hand... maybe we could change the name along with the government? i.e. start off as Dominion of Apolyton(ia) under Despotism, then maybe switch to Republic of Apolyton(ia) when we switch to Republic.

Or something like that.
Old June 13, 2002, 21:22   #11
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 18:29
I vote for Dominion of Apolyton!!
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 13, 2002, 21:46   #12
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Most polls expire saturnday or sooner. The game is likely to start saturnday, with the minister of finance coming 2 days later or so (since he won't have anything to do the first days). But, contrary to the minister of finance, we need to know our name right from the beginning. It means setting up a poll which will last 3 days ! Many people will probably not vote in it... So I think it's less demoratic in the result, even if the motivation is democratic.
I don't think we need to know the game right from the beginning... just use a placeholder name, and change it when we are decided. It isn't crucial, so there is no reason not to do it right.

Quote:
I talked about "delaying a year" because such discussions can arise for anything already decided or soonly decided. If this quibbling is successful and creates other quibbling, the game won't start in an astronomical time.
It seems strange to categorically deny a fair discussion and vote because of future "quibbling" it might cause. I'm not here to ask for future quibbling... I would like my cause to be judged on the merits of the cause, not on the predictions you make about it.
Old June 13, 2002, 21:50   #13
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Why is no one suggesting:

"The Banana Republic of Apolyton"

its the OBVIOUS choice.
Old June 13, 2002, 21:53   #14
Moral Hazard
King

The country can changes it's name. I think we should start with the name which is decided by the last poll which wasn't purely undemocratic there was a thread concerning names before the poll went up. If we decide via a new poll to change the name then the name will be changed.
Old June 13, 2002, 21:54   #15
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
Why is no one suggesting:

its the OBVIOUS choice.

And what if Trip loses his election to The Banana? Or anyone else loses to him/her/it?
Old June 13, 2002, 22:01   #16
Spiffor

Sorry, Cyclo, I didn't want you to take it personnaly.
In fact, the whole name thing must be decided before the game starts, because you enter the custom Civ name in the Pick Civilization screen.
If we don't pick a Civ name at this time, we'll see "Zululand" or so in all occurences in the game. I really don't want the game to consider ourselves as "Zululand". It wwill be frustrating for all people who access the file, present and future.

I acknowledge your cause has some merit, but I'm rather a pragmatist. As I don't believe in the victory of "the Apolyton Dominion" at all (I think 5 people out of 100 support the name so far), I don't believe we should make another poll. Sure UberKrux didn't make the naming poll the good way, but many people recognized themselves in the choices. What I suggest is that Dominion supporters express their preference here. If they are many, then I'd think the name poll should be reworked. Not for the sake of principle. But for the sake of democracy
Old June 14, 2002, 02:23   #17
Moral Hazard
King

Ok If we decide to change the name. Someone should put a poll up today 6/14. So it can close by Sunday. All other game start issues will finish then. So if you want Dominion or Banana Republic. Then create a new poll. Be sure to include Peoples Republic and Apolytonia.
Cheers.
MH
Old June 14, 2002, 04:26   #18
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 03:29
Why not the Holy Apolytonian Empire?
Maybe it's a too religious name, that should only be used with a religious civ...
Old June 14, 2002, 05:59   #19
Proserpine
Warlord

Local Time: 02:29
Rep. of Apolytonia just shades it for me.
Old June 14, 2002, 07:32   #20
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
Excellent choice .
Old June 14, 2002, 10:25   #21
Moral Hazard
King

Ok I'll throw up a poll (or anyone else can sooner) for this in 5 hours (when I get back). So get your submissions in.
Currently
The Banana Republic of Apolyton
The Peoples Republic of Apolyton
The Dominion of Apolyton
Apolytonia
?Republic of Apolytonia?
?Holy Apolytonian Empire?

Not sure how much support the last two options have. I think revotes are valid if they get 75% of the original vote or more votes for a single option than any other single option. That's not law yet it's being debated in the polling standards convention.
Old June 14, 2002, 11:28   #22
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:29
Holy Apolytonian empire sounds good

what aboutç
Democratic Republic of Apolyton
The Land of Apolyton
Apolytonica
Appolos City
Old June 15, 2002, 11:09   #23
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
Ok I'll throw up a poll (or anyone else can sooner) for this in 5 hours (when I get back). So get your submissions in.
Currently
The Dominion of Apolyton
Apolytonia
?Republic of Apolytonia?
?Holy Apolytonian Empire?

Not sure how much support the last two options have. I think revotes are valid if they get 75% of the original vote or more votes for a single option than any other single option. That's not law yet it's being debated in the polling standards convention.
Remember to add "Imperium Apolytonia Gigante"
which is kinda ironic in the beginning of the game.
(Expansion minister: You would support this name? )
Old June 15, 2002, 11:11   #24
Captain
King

thanks Moral Hazard!

good to see democracy working once again!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:16   #25
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
In fact, the whole name thing must be decided before the game starts, because you enter the custom Civ name in the Pick Civilization screen.
If we don't pick a Civ name at this time, we'll see "Zululand" or so in all occurences in the game. I really don't want the game to consider ourselves as "Zululand". It wwill be frustrating for all people who access the file, present and future.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't the "title" part of the name change depending on our government?

ex. if we're despotism it's Empire of Apolyton. If we're monarchy it's Kingdom of Apolyton? if we're republic, it's Republic of Apolyton?

And the adjective and plural names should just be Apolytonian and Apolytonians because it's silly to say "Empire of the Apolytonian scientists discover plumbing" or "Dominion of the Apolytonians" when we mean just the Apolytonians.

so maybe none of it matters?

I don't really remember, haven't played the game in a while.

I still like Dominion of Apolyton best.

although Imperium sounds pretty cool too.
Old June 15, 2002, 13:04   #26
Moral Hazard
King

oops I completely forgot about this. So I'll put up a poll now. yep another poll. I've got to update my list as well. Whee.

Heres the list
The Dominion of Apolyton
Apolytonia
Holy Apolytonian Empire
Imperium Apolytonia Gigante
Apolytonica
Appolos
Old June 15, 2002, 19:51   #27
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

no, titles do not change in civ3

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal