Old June 14, 2002, 15:37   #61
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I remember Ming's thread "Ok, all the regulars..." (or something like that) at the old addicted site, that summoned people there and got them over to Apolyton.

I remember a poster called Flavor Dave, who always posted interesting threads at the Civ 2 strategy forum and made an art of inventing eye-catching thread names (how about "Rehabilitating King Richard's Crusade"? ).

I remember a poster called Sieve Too, who was extremely knowledgeable in everything about Civ 2.

I remember a poster called Catullus, whose thread "And the winner is - San Marino" initiated the OCC race. I, geofelt and Catullus competed to win the space race with as few cities as possible. I think geofelt or Catullus had it down to 3, when Ming became the first to win a true OCC. I was the second one (yes, I'm a little proud of it! ).

I remember Venger's thread (I think that was his name?) at the Civ 2 strategy forum, calling WLTLD a "crunch for the weaker player". Talk about flame war...

I remember my first encounter with Sten Sture at the forums, and the first trembling MP experiences with him and Bird. As Oedo posted somewhere else, the exchange in the chat room was unbelievably funny!

I remember when the Civ 2 strategy forum was so active it was hard to keep up. New threads, new topics, new strategies, new replies by the minute.

I remember too many racists, fascists, gun fetischists etc in the off-topic forum than I want to. It seems to be better now.

All I can come up with for now.

Carolus
Old June 14, 2002, 16:14   #62
axi
Prince

Local Time: 05:29
Woohoo! Carolus Rex posting in the OT! This is really a blast from the past!
Old June 14, 2002, 16:19   #63
Hueij
Emperor

Talking about the "Olden days." Carolus, you still here?

Quote:
I remember Venger's thread (I think that was his name?) at the Civ 2 strategy forum, calling WLTLD a "crunch for the weaker player". Talk about flame war...
"Crunch..." was used for a lot of different situations for a long time after he invented the term...
Old June 14, 2002, 18:42   #64
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Giancarlo as a side-switcher? He started as a fascist and has evoled into... well... more moderate fascist?
I find it offensive you still call me a fascist. You have no reason to.

Things I remember were civnation... oh goodness yes... I remember those arguments...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 14, 2002, 20:02   #65
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Ming, already have a few ideas... just need to bounce them off people.
Bounce!

Quote:
Just for Siro or someone half-way amusing to come on ICQ .
Awwwwwwwwwww..... I'm half-way amusing to you

Old June 15, 2002, 09:17   #66
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:29
Ming- you have to admit though that you have killed some story threads- remember my thread- over 15 people signed up, then it was moved to Stories, and only three or four people foudn their way there

No hard feelings though, although we should be allowed to have a good story thread again...
Old June 15, 2002, 09:20   #67
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Imran, I donāt know about those ideas... "1 perhaps seems best, but it also seems as though it would degenerate into a spam fest.

as for number 2, that souds as if it would get strange very quickly, or insulting as people insult others countries

what if you just try to have a political party game or reconstitute the old Mongolia threads
Old June 15, 2002, 09:40   #68
Giancarlo
King

Most of my post count was accumulated by story threads in the Stories forum.... gosh, that was so long ago... well at least for me it was.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:41   #69
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

ottok lives!!!
Old June 15, 2002, 11:44   #70
Kropotkin
Emperor

What? A ottok sighting!?

edit: Hmm no
Old June 15, 2002, 12:49   #71
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

I remeber the Bill episode. I remember coming here and Empress was the reigning royal one on the board. We seemed to have more regular women posters then.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old June 15, 2002, 13:07   #72
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 21:29
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Ming- you have to admit though that you have killed some story threads- remember my thread- over 15 people signed up, then it was moved to Stories, and only three or four people foudn their way there
Give me a break... I wasn't the one that set up a diplomacy/stories forum. I'm only a poor mod, not an admin. At least I still allow a story even though there is another forum for them. So don't give me the "I killed some story threads"... I was just doing my job
Old June 15, 2002, 13:56   #73
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Anyone remember the first major Apolyton elections? The Republicans won at first but we were unjustly accused of voting fraud, so a re-vote was called in which the AUP won on a platform of attacking Belize. Lordstone and GS(The AUP candidates) were then immediatly overthrown in a bloody revolution with Imran, MJ, myself and many others...... Good times...

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old June 15, 2002, 14:00   #74
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Anyone remember the first major Apolyton elections?
I do...
Old June 15, 2002, 14:07   #75
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:29
Smash was the first person to respond to my first thread...

I remember looking at the old site before apolyton... that was about '99. After they didn't have anyone there anymore. Then I found here, and became a poster after about 2 months of lurking. It took another year to migrate south to the OT.
Old June 15, 2002, 14:20   #76
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:29
I remember coming here for CTP info, registering on the forums, but only lurking. Then I went away for a while and came back eventually after visiting the OT. I then started actually posting as civ3 was first announced. Changed my username from Kyller to ixnay37 last year. Although I still lurk more than I post in the OT, but that's just how I am.
Old June 15, 2002, 17:57   #77
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
1 perhaps seems best, but it also seems as though it would degenerate into a spam fest.
... And?!

Quote:
as for number 2, that souds as if it would get strange very quickly, or insulting as people insult others countries
.... AND?! I went with #2 btw... because Siro never read The Sum of All Fears worthless Isrealis
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 15, 2002, 18:47   #78
Colon™
Emperor

I remember my first thread was about my concern about all those new civ-type games under development (Imperialism, CtP, SMAC), but I forgot the reason I was concerned.
I remember Ming saying he was embarrassed by all the stupid stuff he had posted in the past.
I remember History049 arriving with his statistics fetish and his development into one of poly’s greatest lunatics.
I remember I was supported an OT forum so that the general forum wasn't disturbed by the latest ME thread. (they went about Iraq in those days) Say: "Thanks for supporting the split Colon!".
I remember Monk started a satirical thread in reaction to the US bashing threads, named "Mongolia Bashing". And I remember how that thread became a hilarious story thread, and how it evolved to the Suriname threads, predecessor of the many later story threads.
I remember StLeo constantly posting funny one-liners.
I remember bashing Iain and Stewart in EU discussions.

And so on...
Old June 15, 2002, 19:23   #79
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Anyone remember the first major Apolyton elections? The Republicans won at first but we were unjustly accused of voting fraud, so a re-vote was called in which the AUP won on a platform of attacking Belize. Lordstone and GS(The AUP candidates) were then immediatly overthrown in a bloody revolution with Imran, MJ, myself and many others...... Good times...
Unjustly?!?!?! I think there were a couple thousand "votes" cast in that first one
Old June 15, 2002, 23:55   #80
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
I remember all the bad boys: MJ, GS, Sheets, EVC, even Joe the racist (there was a time when the boards were much more free-speechy).

I remember the elections and how I made Reismark cry by accusing him of rigging the election. And how I got Ming elected to the Senate by using mulitple computers in lab to send in votes. (There was actually a time when ming spent more time in on-topic than off topic.)

I remember meeting several Apolytoners: Ming (before he was a mod), Sten, DanS, AdamS, Derek, MTG, LTEC, JohnT.

I remember banning myself, but still reading the forums and occasionally PMing posters when I wanted to make comments. (Was really funny when I came back and totally knew who the new guys were...and they had no clue who I was...really funny when they called me a newbie!)
Old June 16, 2002, 00:11   #81
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
I remember banning myself, but still reading the forums and occasionally PMing posters when I wanted to make comments.
I remember that. It kinda freaked me out recieving a PM from a person I had never heard of before.
Old June 16, 2002, 00:23   #82
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

I remember that. It kinda freaked me out recieving a PM from a person I had never heard of before.
Respect the Poly history and traditions...
Old June 19, 2002, 20:39   #83
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

Give me a break... I wasn't the one that set up a diplomacy/stories forum. I'm only a poor mod, not an admin. At least I still allow a story even though there is another forum for them. So don't give me the "I killed some story threads"... I was just doing my job
... The problem with the other forum is that it should be split into Diplomacy and a second one for Stories... but that won't happen unless more stories exist and more stories won't exist unless more are
a: allowed in the OT
b: somehow survive the Diplo forums

I have to complain to someone... and you did kill the threads- even if it was your job

I can complain, can I not... it was what you did- even though you had to do it.

I dont feel angry at you- I am annoyed at the system

oh well

Old June 19, 2002, 20:41   #84
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
remember banning myself,
GP-

you always ban yourself
Old June 20, 2002, 14:27   #85
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:29
Well the oldest thing I can remember of this place was under the login Comrade Harrison back in June 1999 when I came over here to do a bit of 'bashing the biblebasher' against EvC back when he was theistic...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 20, 2002, 17:48   #86
Thorn
Prince

Excuse me, I was never Theistic!
Old June 20, 2002, 17:53   #87
DarkCloud
staff

EVC- are you allowed back?
Old June 20, 2002, 18:12   #88
Giancarlo
King

EVC, from what I recall you were....
Old June 20, 2002, 18:23   #89
Thorn
Prince

When, I was anti-atheist at one point, never religious though?
Old June 20, 2002, 18:24   #90
Giancarlo
King

Hmm.... okay whatever...