Old June 14, 2002, 04:28   #1
GoldenPanda
Settler

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can't wait for the expansion pack -- Civ3: Warring Democracies?
Hi I just stumbled into this place. It's fascinating what you guys are doing here!

My idea for a multiplayer Democracy game uses registered citizens. Each citizen seeks to maximize his own personal score by the end of the game. Scoring is decided by some combination of happiness over time (from living inside a happy city), accumulated wealth (from living in a rich city with lots of trade and from holding political office), and political prestige (from holding office, getting his proposals passed, etc).

A player may migrate to a different city by paying up a portion of his accumulate wealth. He may even migrate to an opposing civilization, depending on the international situation. Part of the cost of migration is built into the game mechanism (depending on distance, road connections, etc), and part is determined by the political process (e.g. an emigration tax).

A democracy may elect to go to war if enough of its citizens believe this can increase their personal score (through greener pastures, more opportunities for political office and accumulating wealth, for example).

What do you guys think? I might even be interested in looking at ways an external program could be written to interface with the Civ 3 save file to manage Democracy games.
Old June 14, 2002, 04:55   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Curious. With some potential, but very complex.
Old June 14, 2002, 05:14   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 04:31
Interestign, but it would meant that the members should compete with each other. It would also require more of Markos.

I think the first way of multiplaying a demogame should be to play against CFC. The biggest difference from now would be the needs of a private forum, and that some double-players had to choose a side.
Old June 14, 2002, 06:50   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:31
[TROLL]

and CFC would actually have to play the game well, i mean, the AI would give us more trouble

[/TROLL]
Old June 14, 2002, 14:05   #5
GoldenPanda
Settler

Argggh! Just lost a good sized post because I submitted it without logging in.. Here I go again.

Yes, any design can become unplayably complicated until the right implementation is found. Consider that the Civ 3 design could not be playable as a boardgame, and works only because the right interface and the right abstractions were found in software. That's why at this point I would like to only run by some game concepts and judge the level of interest, without getting into the details of game mechanisms.

My design thinking is that while the current Democracy Game models a communal society run under the democratic process, Warring Democracies models a competitive society with strong cooperative elements. Because individual scores come from the public resource pie, everyone has an interest in the public good. Each player is 1st) a citizen of his city, which contributes most directly to his happiness, wealth, and prestige scores, 2nd) a citizen of his civilization, which provides defense, technology, and a resource pool for development, and 3rd) a citizen of the world, which entails the planet's land resources as well as the general state of human development which ultimate contribute to his score.

The competitive aspect comes from the allocation of the public pie to individuals (the size of the pie is the city's prosperity multiplied by the number of player-citizens, up to an allowable limit determined by city size. thus the incentive isn't to be the ONLY citizen, but to be the most prestigious one.). Each player has an "Established Elite" rating that pertains to the city he lives in, which increases with the length of stay, frequency of voting, and acquired political prestige. His RELATIVE EE rating decides where he stands on the resource allocation bell curve. (Thus encouraging low EE imigration pushes up the standing for native inhabitants, while potentially diluting their political power.) His EE rating is reduced when he moves to another city, and even further to another civilization. When a city is conquered by a rival, the conquering citizens decide how the original inhabitants are treated -- e.g. their starting EE rating, and whether they could even vote. An extremely unhappy inhabitant may overcome any emigratioin barriers by escaping to become a refugee, which requires him to forfeit his accumulated wealth.

Comments are always welcome.

Last edited by GoldenPanda; June 14, 2002 at 14:13.
Old June 14, 2002, 21:51   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:31
GoldenPanda :
Same thing as Gramphos, your idea is very interesting, but seems extremely difficult to implement. Some problem arise, like "who should populate newly founded cities ?"; "How can the number of players match the demographic evolution of the empire ?". I raise these problems not to bury your idea, but because I think you know the answers (I suppose the idea is extremely precise in your head)

About MPing against CFC :
I really want it ! Question is : should we abandon the current DemoGame to compete against CFC ? Should we play two DemoGames simultaneously ?
Old June 14, 2002, 23:00   #7
Captain
King

This is a very similar system, just some more details. It should be fairly simple.

Each citizens starts with 10 "bananas" representing wealth, prestige, and power.

All citizens start in capital as inhabitants.

As new cities are founded, inhabitants can emigrate to new cities or stay in the ones they are in. You are assumed to live in the capital unless you specifically state your emigration.

Citizens gain bonus bananas based on how well their cities and adopted units do.

Here are some options:

If a city has improvements, every citizen of that city gains bananas. This can be a flat 1 banana per improvement, or banana bonus ratings.
(ex. +1 banana per culture point of building, +10 bananas per wonder, so a temple is 2 bananas, a cathedral is 4 bananas, and barracks are 0 bananas)

AND/OR

A city's commerce (beakers and coins) per turn result in bonus bananas. Shields don't count because they're already counted by buildings and unit victories.
(ex. +1 banana per 5 commerce produced per turn rounded down)

AND/OR

Cities can also adopt units they produce. Any victories won by a particular unit result in bonus bananas.
(ex. +1 bananas per victory against inferior opponent, +3 bananas vs. equal opponent (A=D), +5 versus superior opponent)

AND/OR

Happiness of citizens gives bonuses.
(ex. 1 banana per happy citizen, -1 banana per unhappy citizen)

All of these can combine to form a CITY PERFORMANCE RATING.

Every citizen of a city gets the bonus based on their current city's rating but that is only "liquid" when they cash out.

Kind of like betting on sports teams or investing in stocks - except you can only invest in 1 city at any time.

Note: Everytime you leave a city and move elsewhere, you cash out, pay a small "banana" fee. You must join another city which will cost you bananas based on it's current city rating. This is like investing and capital gains taxes plus moving costs.

You can also get a banana salary as a minister or public servant (the Historian and reporters). Say 1 banana per turn?

Whaddaya think?

We can appoint a minister, or ministers, or accountants, to keep track of this unless Golden Panda (or Gramphos?) can write up a program?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 15, 2002, 03:12   #8
GoldenPanda
Settler

Spiffor -- great questions. While there are certainly advantages to Captain's simpler design, I will answer your questions using my original philosophy.

My design goal is to encourage a pattern of player settlement that roughly reflects Civ 3 population points, while leaving the actual migration decision to each individual player. This is achieved through the concepts of Optimum Economic Inhabitancy and Migration Control.

The OEI for each city is the target number of players a city should carry, given by :
total_number_of_players*city_pop_points/world_pop_points

Beyond the OEI number, each additional inhabitant brings a diminishing contribution to the public pie. For example, a city with an OEI of 3 and a base productivity of 10 produces 10 units if there's one inhabitant, 20 if there are two, 30 for three, but perhaps only 35 for four, 37 for five. With output distributed among all players (each according to EE standing), overcrowding a city can bring reduced income to its original inhabitants.

Which leads to the concept of Migration Control. Each turn, a city announces the number of emigration and immigration slots available. These slots are sold to the highest bidders (through a multiple item Dutch auction). This auction income is distributed to the city's inhabitants, excluding the bidders. When a new city is settled, the Minister of Imperial Expansion decides the number of slots, with the proceeds going to the Imperial Treasury (which can be used to pay salary and to give other personal rewards for imperial service). When a city gains its first inhabitants, Migration Control is mostly handed over to its political process, while the Imperial Minister may reserve the right to force open a number of slots over time.

It should be more complex to explain how all this works than it is to actually play it out. The great advantage of a democracy game is that work is distributed among the players. For instance, Migration Control can be a complex decision that needs to take into account geography, economic climate, neighbor policies, etc. But each city has its own army of administrators, such that no single person needs to feel overwhelmed.

If it turns out to be interesting to model, another possibility could be corruption. Every government office has a budget and can do with it like money anywhere. An immigration office might give secret (or not so secret) auction kickbacks to target individuals for migration. A minister might use funds that were earmarked to subsize colonists to pay his own salary, etc. Then we could have a comptrollers office to supervise all this, and so on.

The point is, an economic model exists parallel to the one in the game; it gets its production from the in-game economy. Scoring, however, is ultimately done inside the parallel model.
Old June 15, 2002, 03:17   #9
GoldenPanda
Settler

Captain -- your Bananas economy is quite Civilizationesque and will surely play well with many fans. My main question though, is how do we keep a game from degenerating to everybody-bets-on-the-best-city?

My design is of course extremely complicated to implement, as has been pointed out. It isn't anything we would see anytime soon. At this point I'm just throwing the idea out there to see if it's fun to talk about.
Old June 15, 2002, 10:44   #10
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenPanda
Captain -- your Bananas economy is quite Civilizationesque and will surely play well with many fans. My main question though, is how do we keep a game from degenerating to everybody-bets-on-the-best-city?
Good point. I thought the moving fee or banana tax would keep emigration to a reasonable level (and thus making it easier to track) but I forgot about the tendency to shift to the best city instead of advocating improving your own.

Here's a few solutions off the top of my head:

- Since it costs banana fees/taxes (paid to treasury) to switch cities, people will generally only switch when worthwhile.
- Generally you will only be able to switch to cities with lower CITY RATINGS
- "Profit" is made based on the rate of improvement and so encourages entrepreneurialism, players are encouraged to invest in cities they see potential growth in, not just absolute rating. S they will invest in poor cities with potential, and lobby to build them up, rather than invest in already rich cities with little improvement possible.

(ex. I live in Rome, but we've built all the improvements we want for now and don't need any more for a while. I cash out 90 bananas worth, pay a 10 banana tax, and stick the 80 in my wallet. I move to Farpoint, a newly founded city with a zero city rating so it's free to move in. A temple is rush built, but since it is so far, corruption and waste make sure nothing else will be built in at least 30 turns. I can't wait, so I cash out. 20 bananas. Pay the 10 banana tax. I have now 80+10=90 in my wallet. I join Antium with a rating of 45, so it costs me 45 bananas. I now have 45 "in the bank" and 45 in Antium. Antium goes through a boom and my stake there is worth 75 bananas now. My net worth is 120 bananas. Meanwhile, my buddy who stayed in Rome has seen only mild progress and is at 96 bananas. I'm beating him by 24 bananas. My other friend who cashed out Rome with me, invested in the boom town Londonium so his net worth is 160 bananas. Unfortunately, English raiders capture the city and he loses his 120 banana stake there. He still has the 40 bananas "in the bank" he didn't spend to invest in Londonium.)

But, since the capital usually gets all the improvements before outlier cities, most people will stay in the capital and avoid banana fees. And how do we solve overcrowding?

A solution might be calculating the city's population compared to total country population and calling that the optimal size ratio. If more citizens are in that city than optimum, CITY RATING drops due to overcrowding.

ex. There are 25 citizens in the empire. 5 live in zimbabwe. Zimbabwe's optimal size ratio is 5/25 or 1/5. That's 20%. If we have 147 citizens, the optimal pop is 20% x 147 citizens = 30 citizens (rounded up) so no one ever gets left out.

The penalty for overcrowding is based on %overcrowding up to a certain limit. If there are 40 investors in Zimbabwe, that's 10 over. 10 out of 30 is 33%. The penalty is a 33% deduction in City Rating. If there are 50 investors, that's 20 over. 20/30 is 67%. City Rating takes a 67% subtraction. The absolute limit is a 67% penalty. So once 50 investors arrive, more can come without further penalty.

If that's not enough incentive to get people out of the capital, then maybe a Palace "tax" is required. All citizens living in cities with Palaces or Forbidden cities cannot accumulate wealth for the duration of their stay (any profit you would have made is paid to the treasury). So you can live there, but you'll never make a profit. Citizens venturing out, making a fortune, and moving back, can keep their existing wealth, but not make any more.

---
Also, I found a second problem with my system. You can't track military units well. If I have two infantry in Memphis and move them into Thebes where there are already four other infantry, and we defeat 2 attacking cavalry, who gets the unit victory bonus? If they have different hp, we can track it, but if they're all the same, then what?
---

So simplifying our system even further, here is a new system:

CITY RATING = (cpt x content faces + cpt x happy faces x 2 + 10 x wonders) x overcrowding penalty

where cpt refers to culture per turn (not total culture, although that is also easy to track)

ex. Antium has a temple, barracks, library, JS Bach and 6 citizens (1 happy, 5 content), no overcrowding.

cpt = 2+0+3+6 = 11 (shown on culture advisor screen)
CITY RATING = 11x5 +11x1x2 + 10x1 = 87 bananas

ex. if Antium is the same but so many people come that we're 25% overcrowded... then CITY RATING = 87 x (0.75) = 65.
---

Ministers still get paid a banana salary - and the public can vote to give them performance bonuses (out of the treasury) if they do well.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:04   #11
Captain
King

Golden Panda, I think the idea is really good, we just have to work out the details (including how to interface this with apolyton forums and the save game?).

I don't know much about that sort of thing, but there are many here who do that might be able to help.

otherwise, I'm with you all the way for thinking up ideas.

We could more people alongside if we had a demo interface.
---
Problems and solutions:

Simplest:
A spreadsheet file (like excel) in a thread that gives City Ratings, accumulated bananas of each citizen (in the bank and invested in a city), and which city the citizen currently resides in.

People post their requests for emigration which will be carried out next time the file is updated (once per turn).

It's the citizens responsibility to post their request in time. Advance posts are not acceptable - that's too much work for the updater to do.

The updater just has to keep track of
1) which city the citizen is in (easy)
2) city ratings (easy, just check cp rating in culture advisor and # happy/content faces plus any wonders)
3) overcrowding penalties (if necessary)
4a) citizen requests for transfers to another city
4b) cash banked whenever a citizen switches cities

Complex to create but easier to maintain and more flexible:

Computer program that tracks:
1) city ratings -> inputted by reporters, easy or auto
2) citizen locations -> auto
3) overcrowding penalties -> auto
4) automatic transfers inputted directly by citizens -> auto
5) cash status of each citizen -> auto

auto will make it easy for us to track and no need for us to act as brokers. the computer will do that automatically. but making the program is not easy. it shouldn't be too hard either.
Old June 15, 2002, 14:39   #12
GoldenPanda
Settler

Captain -- I like your "let make this simple and get it out the door by next week" approach. I have a lot of questions before I could become convinced your idea will work, though. So let's do this one at a time.

I'm not sure if I understand your whole concept of "investment" in the game. It's not like people bringing in Bananas will speed up development. It seems to me immigration brings no benefit to the original inhabitants of your cities, so the incentive will be to keep others out to maximize your own political power. The only mitigating factor to everybody-to-the-best-city is what I called the Optimal Economic Inhabitancy number. But then, once everyone has identified the best city for the moment, how do we decide who gets to go?
Old June 15, 2002, 16:14   #13
Captain
King

Quote:
Captain -- I like your "let make this simple and get it out the door by next week" approach. I have a lot of questions before I could become convinced your idea will work, though. So let's do this one at a time.

I'm not sure if I understand your whole concept of "investment" in the game. It's not like people bringing in Bananas will speed up development. It seems to me immigration brings no benefit to the original inhabitants of your cities, so the incentive will be to keep others out to maximize your own political power. The only mitigating factor to everybody-to-the-best-city is what I called the Optimal Economic Inhabitancy number. But then, once everyone has identified the best city for the moment, how do we decide who gets to go?
No, directly bringing in bananas won't speed anything. It will just mean that those who bought into the city will try to lobby for improvements because improvements made during their stay in the city will boost their "profit". Or they will lobby for a higher population or higher luxury rate (because happy faces boost city ratings).

This will tend to make people lobby to improve underdeveloped cities once the developed ones run out of things to build.

Often, a size 6 city doesn't need a cathedral, but the investors of that city will want one anyways, and make their demands known to the ministers. Just like real life, politicians have to try to please the people even when it means not being as efficient as they would like.

Who gets to go? Well, why not first come first serve? The real life stockmarkets don't wait, it's the vigilant to get first dibs.

Otherwise, maybe you could pay a premium to go first. Highest bidder gets first dibs. Next highest bidder and so on. City ratings will only be the official tax-assessed value. Market value will depend on us. *this may not be necessary - see example.

The other neat thing is that if you want to move, but no one else does, chances are you'll overcrowd a city. If too many overcrowd, the overcrowding penalty will make sure some people decide to cash out and leave. But the first to leave will lose the most, because as soon as he/she leaves, the crowding penalty will lessen.

Example:
Toronto's optimum is 15. We have 20 in there. 5 out of 15 is 33% overcrowded. I decide to leave (cash out my 300 bananas) but I need somewhere to go. Winnipeg's optimum is 5 but only 3 people are there so the cost to go there is the city rating, 100 bananas.

Alternatively, I could go to Vancouver (10, 9) leaving 1 space before crowding. We expect Vancouver to build a cathedral soon so many investors may come. I wonder if I will get the spot before someone else. If I go first, I pay the city rating of 200 bananas. The next person to move there would also pay 200 bananas since the city is (10,10 ->optimum). But now the city is (10, 11). 1 over, so penalty of 10%. The city rating drops to 180 bananas. A temporary loss for both of us. Next person in is a risk taker. Pays 180 bananas, and the rating drops to 160 bananas. Loses 20 bananas it seems. But no, because before the rating drops further, a guy who bought in at 100 decides to cash out. Takes his 160 bananas, and gets out. The city rating now rises to 180. Another guy cashes out at 180, and the rating rises to 200 since we're now optimal again. The risk taker now cashes out to take his 200 bananas, a 20 banana profit. But if no one cashed out, then we'd all be at a loss due to overcrowding, and we would lobby our politicians/ministers very hard to boost the happy population or build culture in the city so we can recover our losses.

But that might be too complex and only possible with an automated system.

This is simpler, but maybe less fun.
Everyone who wants to move to Vancouver posts before the next turn. City rating this turn is 200. The BOOKIE checks the posts, makes changes. They cash out the current value, and buy into current Vancouver value. Each pays 200 bananas.

Tomorrow (or next turn), the BOOKIE posts new results. We find we've now overcrowded the city and the city rating is down to 140 bananas.
We can stay and wait for the rating to rise again, or some people might cut their losses and move out, hoping to make a quick profit elsewhere.

Should City ratings and stats be based on the START of the turn savegame or the END?
Old June 15, 2002, 16:32   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:31
I don't know much about programming (limited to some VERY basic batch apps in C++), but wouldn't it be possible to create a sort of online system like Microsoft Gaming Zone or something that is independant of Apolyton and hooks up through Civ3 multiplayer (which would come from PtW), where the President and the Ministers only would have the ability (or maybe just the President) to adjust things, and everyone else would be opening it in a sort of read-only mode? Firaxis could actually design this and sell it as part of PtW.
Old June 15, 2002, 16:43   #15
GoldenPanda
Settler

skywalker -- what you describe is absolutely possible for anyone that has access to the inner workings of the game.

Captain -- I'm still not sure if I understand your whole investment analogy. Are you saying players receive Bananas WHILE improvements are being built, or AFTER? If you're saying AFTER, then calling it "investment" is quite confusing. I see it simply as choosing the most prosperous city to live in, which is just what was described in my design. It would be good if you could take some of my design concepts as a starting point, and talk about what changes/additions you think could benefit the game.
Old June 16, 2002, 00:56   #16
Captain
King

Quote:
skywalker -- what you describe is absolutely possible for anyone that has access to the inner workings of the game.

Captain -- I'm still not sure if I understand your whole investment analogy. Are you saying players receive Bananas WHILE improvements are being built, or AFTER? If you're saying AFTER, then calling it "investment" is quite confusing. I see it simply as choosing the most prosperous city to live in, which is just what was described in my design. It would be good if you could take some of my design concepts as a starting point, and talk about what changes/additions you think could benefit the game.
No, I mean it's like investment. (ignore fees and taxes for now).

example:

You have $150 available.
buy Stock A for price $100 one day one.
at end of day one you have net worth $150, only $50 is liquid. the rest ($100) is tied to the city rating.
if you sell now, you have all $150 liquid again.

next day Stock A goes up to $150.
net worth is $200, but only $50 is liquid. the rest ($150) is tied to the city rating.
if you sell now, you have $200 all liquid.

say you wait until the 3rd day where Stock A drops to $120.
net worth is $170, but only $50 is liquid. the rest ($120) is tied to the city rating.
if you sell now, you have all $170 liquid.

(liquid means available)

Stock A's price depends on the City Rating. It can go up or down depending on specifics, but generally city ratings will go up as our empire develops and grows.

I left out more complex ideas and stripped it down to what I thought would make a good start point. Here are the major points.

1) Citizens try to acculumate bananas.
2) They do this by living in cities and holding political office.
3) Holding office gives a salary or bonuses.
4) Living in city A has a one time cost in bananas=present city rating at time of move. As the city A rating improves, so does your potential banana gain. You can at any time, leave city A and move to a different city B. Doing so gives you bananas=present city A rating and costs you bananas=new city B rating.
5) Living in the capital is like the bank. It costs nothing to move there, but you don't get any bananas when you leave either. No gains, no losses. No further accumulation of wealth can be achieved while you live in the capital.
6) Overcrowding penalties as explained in previous posts.

Expected result: Citizens will move to cities they see potential with. Citizens will lobby for improvements that will raise the city ratings because that will benefit them.
Old June 16, 2002, 01:17   #17
GoldenPanda
Settler

Let me ask you the question this way: who will your "investors" be going up against? who stands in the way of building a cathedral? and why does he want to be in the way?
Old June 16, 2002, 10:26   #18
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Let me ask you the question this way: who will your "investors" be going up against? who stands in the way of building a cathedral? and why does he want to be in the way?
The Military Department might want to stand in the way of improvements in favour of units.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:38   #19
GoldenPanda
Settler

you mean the Imperial Government wants to force cities to make military units, while the cities themselves just want to build improvements, and want the other cities to build units? For one thing, not much interesting would be going on WITHIN the cities -- everyone would just want the same maximum rate of return on their investment.

A more elegant system IMHO has the Imperial Government buying units from the cities. Cities are not some infinite-size mutual fund where anyone and everyone could invest their savings -- cities are centers of production. This production is taxed and distributed just like in the real world.
Old June 16, 2002, 15:39   #20
Captain
King

Well, my major thing was keeping it a democracy game as we know it. We already have the framework for that. I don't think the government needs to buy or do anything besides play the game (president) and give advice (ministers).

The thing is that right now, everyone wants the best for the empire. We'll gladly sacrifice two fringe cities if we have to, or make one city churn out veteran units instead of distributing the production - because we have no personal stake in the cities. They're just production centres. Only if we invest in them by artifically introducing the concept of "living" in a city, do we have a stake that will cause us to think twice about letting our home city be abused.

The purpose of having investment is to create an interest group that will lobby for the city's benefit - possibly at the expense of other cities. For example, if a minister constantly rush buys things for one city and not another, the neglected inhabitants will get upset with the minister. Ministers can't rush buy everything for everyone, and sometimes wants to build military units. Not everyone's needs can be met. The ministers have to play to the crowd and try to win favour so they can be re-elected.

The system I propose doesn't change any internal game mechanics, it just adds the the fun of the democracy game in a (fairly) simple manner.

Not that I'm against anything more complex, I just don't think the elected officials want to bother with having to buy things from citizens of cities or get approval for everything.

This adds to the decision making in this way:

1) Do I build the things that would benefit the empire (in-game)?

or

2) Do I build the things that will get me re-elected (demo game)?

Citizens must balance requests by deciding:

1) Do I lobby the ministers to improve my city so I will gain bananas?

or

2) Do I put personal gain behind the good of the empire? Do I lobby for what I think we (as a country) really need to do well in the game, instead of what will benefit me most?

As it is, right now, the only arguments we'll have are about what people think is best for the country. I hope to add just 1 more dimension to it, for now.

Does that make sense? (I dunno, it makes sense in my mind, maybe I just haven't explained it well.)
Old June 16, 2002, 15:56   #21
Captain
King

Quote:
you mean the Imperial Government wants to force cities to make military units, while the cities themselves just want to build improvements, and want the other cities to build units? For one thing, not much interesting would be going on WITHIN the cities -- everyone would just want the same maximum rate of return on their investment.
Of course, but they won't all get the maximum rate of return. And that's precisely where the conflict (and arguments and "buying" of votes) comes in.

In the game itself, no, not really much interesting happens or can happen. You just build stuff by piling up shields (or rush buying), and poof! There it is. Identical to everything else (except for wonders). That's just the way civ 3 is. Cities look all the same and in the end-game, everything is built that's worth building - a real no-brainer. And there's nothing you can do about that without making your own civ 3 game. We added fun by putting in this concept of a democracy game but that doesn't actually change game mechanics.

But when we add in citizen interest in making their cities best, then that's pretty interesting (no pun intended). There'll be times when citizens demand things that aren't prudent - like a library instead of walls or cavalry.

And there are also the risks and benefits of starting wonders. And since only 1 city can build wonder at a time, deciding which city builds it will be a major political event!

(On reflection, wonders are so risky that having a wonder in the city should increase the rating by 100, not just 10. I'll reiterate my formula:

City Rating = (cpt x (#content + 2x#happy) + wonders) x penalty factor.

So citizens will want cities with high happiness, lots of culture, wonders, and few penalties.)

Quote:

A more elegant system IMHO has the Imperial Government buying units from the cities. Cities are not some infinite-size mutual fund where anyone and everyone could invest their savings -- cities are centers of production. This production is taxed and distributed just like in the real world.
It is more elegant, you are right, but also more difficult to track. What I propose can be done without the software, just a guy and a spreadsheet. The reason I'll stick to this is that I don't think I have what it takes to write the program so I'll try to stay within my own limits.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:01   #22
GoldenPanda
Settler

Captain -- I see what you're saying now with wanting to keep to the current system as much as possible, with just one legislature for the whole empire. Creating interest groups will benefit the current game, I agree with you. You just have do come up with something better than First Come First Serve with the investment slots -- you don't want First Come to mean the player who wakes up at mdinight to submit his turn.

I was thinking in terms of something that could be done inside of six months, you're thinking for the more immediate. Good luck to us both.

Any comments on my longer term design? I'm hoping to flush out design flaws by discussing it and getting feedback.
Old June 17, 2002, 15:09   #23
Captain
King

Six months! Whoah!
Yeah, if we had that long, I'm sure something way better than what I proposed could be done. But I'm fairly sure I'll be cutting my Apolyton time drastically down once September arrives as I'll be back to full time work.

I'm mostly free this summer (although the next few days are going to be crazy) so I would be more than happy to help out with anything you want to work on.

I don't know of a better solution than first come, first serve - besides paying a premium (which is built-in to the mechanics of the investment with my first model of overcrowding, and is irrelevant in the second model of overcrowding). What are your thoughts?

As for a longer term thing, I think we should flesh out our entire game concept. What I was thinking of was just an add-on to the dmeocracy game. Now I see that you mean we can replace the democracy game with something better - where there's more at stake than just appeasing voters. So that opens up the possibilities more and if we had a program to do tracking of stats so that people paid taxes per turn and earned income per turn, then I'd say we have something.

I just got a gem of an idea! Why don't we speak with Mark Everson who's working on Clash of Civilizations? He's trying to build his own civ game with a team and they've been making some progress. I think they're working on the AI now. But we could see about creating a whole different online civ game in which an ai would be unnecessary because each citizen would be represented in game with a citizen they can control.

Maybe that's too much like Ultima Online though. A blend of RPG and strategy might be cool - the empire controller players must interact with digital citizens controlled by other real live players.

Maybe that's more of a two year commitment - but I imagine setting something like that up would be less difficult than programming an AI. All we'd need after the program was written is the servers to handle all the traffic.
Old June 17, 2002, 15:19   #24
GoldenPanda
Settler

talking with Mark Everson is a great idea! I've actually tried out his demo. He's written some pretty amazing stuff on designing the game as a true simulation. Do you think you could ask him to look at this thread and give some thoughts? Thanks!
Old June 17, 2002, 15:23   #25
GoldenPanda
Settler

In terms of the investment slots, if you don't want to have a whole parallel financial system, maybe some type of lottery?

But certain cities will always be more prosperous than others though. I don't know why anybody inside a great city would ever want to leave.

In my system, what would happen with a very rich city is that it will attract people who carry the most prestige, who can afford the highest auction fees. This will entice some of the original inhabitants to leave, as their relative social standing becomes reduced.
Old June 19, 2002, 12:42   #26
jdd2007
NationStates
King

bump
Old June 20, 2002, 00:03   #27
Captain
King

I'll be away a few days. In the meantime... carry on. I'm interested to see what ideas we'll have here in a few days.

Cheers!