Old June 22, 2002, 17:02   #61
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm back, and ready to play tomorrow morning.
Old June 22, 2002, 18:58   #62
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
The summer palace in the land of Mrs Mongol was situated north west of the capital during the early AD centuries. It was traditional that monarchs stayed here prior to a coronation so that the first entrance to the capital as ruler was part of an elaborate celebration procession. King Git 2 knew differently! This delay was to allow the civil servants time to prepare for a new administration. Old scrolls could be updated, embarrassing ones lost and convenient ones created.

The King's reign was a mere 12 hours old as he took breakfast on the large terrace of the summer palace overlooking the whale rich waters of the west. After eating he turned his gaze south in the direction of No Decorum wondering why such a potentially trade powerful city was so small. Great civilisations have bustling, self-confident capitals not modest towns that sprawled at random. "Damn tradition" he muttered. "Driver, prepare my chariot - I am going to meet the High Council before they expect me so don't spare the horses!"

A strengthening sun glistened off the Colossus - the King wished the monolith would turn botanical but the monument just sneered back at him. Turning into South Gold Street the offices Government House came into view. An imposing building inspired by both Greek and Roman architecture. Alas its contents contained neither the philosophical wisdom of the former nor the opulence of the latter. The girl at reception gasped "It's the King!"

All advisors were immediately summoned. They handed over their status reports for their respective departments. The King read them avidly. An hour later Git 2 summoned them again to listen to his analysis.

"We have the makings of a great empire, but we seem to be determined to avoid success. We are only strong when we must be supreme. For a start it would be helpful if the Science Ministry talked to those in Foreign Affairs. We are currently researching Seafaring - our foes the Egyptians have this secret along with two others we lack - University and Banking. No Decorum could well use a Bank. For the first part of my reign turn Science to zero and let the enemy be our researchers. We will boost our gold reserves so we may purchase some yellow real estate. The construction of cities along the coast facing Egypt will ensure that diplomats have easy access to this precious goal. When we have acquired tech from our opponents we turn research on, as Navigation is a key advance.

I am well aware of the plans for Operation Blooming Ruskie. The Gardens would be nice, but until Caravels are available the geography of the world is against us. Triremes will have to cross too much open water to be sure of safe passage. Modern boats will sail direct and will carry a greater payload. The Moscow plot must wait for Navigation.

Our capital is small and should grow. I'm not sure why commodity caravans are mothballed here. They should be used for trade. Wonders must be built with food caravans so supply commodities are not wasted.

To the west of here we have a vast river with minimal expansion along its course. A sleaze along this waterway will help us become mighty, then supreme.

Good luck with your duties. Extract tribute and gifts regularly. May the spirit of Mrs. Mongol be amongst you all"

And so it came to pass that the techs of Seafaring, Banking, University, Navigation and Bridge Building became known. The enemy cities of Byblos and Memphis were seduced by diplomats' coins. (The latter bribed for 180 with settler, city walls, market and barracks - plus choice of tech - was a bargain ) 250 gold was obtained by diplomacy, whilst trade brought in over 400. Seven cities were founded, amongst them Summer Palace where the King preferred to reside … away from bronze statues! No Decorum became size 8 with a food surplus and a bank. A vet caravel in South Whales is ready for Russian action. By the end of his reign the King handed over a civilisation at the top of the powergraph.

A note for the successor to the throne: No Decorum will only celebrate with an even number of citizens.

--------------------

SG(2)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav bo_a620.sav (142.5 KB, 6 views)
Old June 22, 2002, 19:07   #63
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

The order reads as follows:

1) La Fayette
2) Julius
3) SG[1]
4) Straybow
5) SG(2)

Messer Niccolò is on holiday for 10 days will slot in on his return.

---------------

SG(2)

Last edited by Scouse Gits; June 24, 2002 at 18:41.
Old June 23, 2002, 06:32   #64
La Fayette
King

Mysterious events in the summer palace:
A bunch of charming young ladies in deep blue uniforms, said to be very clever at poisoning and sabotaging, have been seen in the backyards. No bloodshed, nothing clear, only one thing for sure: Lafayette Khan comes to power.

He admires the wide ocean and says: 'I had a dream...our coneheads are now at work researching Physics and we already know a lot in the field of Iron Working. This should allow us to have a look at Magnetism quite soon and then be able to build some of those mighty Frigates. My friend Magellan Khan agrees to give high speed capacities to those frigates if we manage to build 8 caravans in the meantime.'
No one has anything to say against Lafayette Khan's dream (and the charming young ladies are not far away).
Lafayette Khan also has a look at the beautiful crusaders under building in South Wales and nearby and he says: 'Jesus' (in fact I am not sure he said 'Jesus' )'you crusaders look mighty and intelligent; why lose your time and energy fighting the Russians in the deep south?; I shall give you 2 caravels and you shall sail towards Egypt where the fat city of Thebes is waiting for you with wonderful Pyramids inside'.
Short log:
720AD: Physics discovered, Magnetism researched
740AD: Hut gives NON crusader
820AD: Hut gives Chemistry
880AD: Magellan high speed wonder built; Mongol crusaders 2 squares from Thebes.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip bo_a880.zip (22.7 KB, 7 views)
Old June 23, 2002, 07:14   #65
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

OK Julius - you are on next.

---------------

SG(2)
Old June 23, 2002, 09:54   #66
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Oh well.
The spirit of Straybow hovers over No Decorum, consulting with the spirit of SG(2). "I didn't think I needed to mention the tip of continent #8 to the south, which the seers of Blackclick clearly showed made a coastal route to our Slavic enemies…"
Isn't it generally true of nonrepresentative governments that celebration is unfeasible for odd-numbered sizes above 8ish? Usually it takes way too high a percentage. Once I was experimenting with Fundies and I couldn't make my capital celebrate at 13, even at 80% lux. As other cities grew from 10 to 11 they dropped out, too. Not all the size 9 cities would celebrate.

Last edited by Straybow; June 23, 2002 at 10:28.
Old June 23, 2002, 15:53   #67
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The "odd citizen city" refusing to celebtrate is well known. This is not affected by the government in place. The problem arises when there are generally 12 - 50 cities. In Democracy this can be overcome by building a courthouse. In all other governments (including demo) by having wonders such as CfC OR THE HANGING GARDENS

---------------------

Both Gits dropping hints for future games
Old June 23, 2002, 22:23   #68
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't recall having the problem in my normal games where I either stay in Rep or (rarely) go Dem. Do the extra black faces over 50 cities somehow undo the effect?
Old June 24, 2002, 02:33   #69
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Ok, I am going to screw, er play this one.
What's more, STYOM isn't there to help me with my republican ideas
Old June 24, 2002, 03:22   #70
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Get to it Julius
There's nothing wrong at all in becoming a Republic at the right time At the wrong time it can cause problems which take centuries to put right.

Straybow

The figures used above are only estimates. It is my understanding that celebrating with an odd number of citizens is a problem when the first one is a red face. To bring the capital from 6 to 8 I joined two settlers in the same turn. At size 7 there were 3 happy faces and four content (even with luxuries at 70% - but remember only a maximum of double city luxuries are ever applied by the game) At size 8 there were 4 happy and four content. Somewhere there is a thread about this topic

-------------

SG(2)
Old June 24, 2002, 10:12   #71
Straybow
Emperor

OK, that was my conclusion way back in '98 when I couldn't get the capital to celebrate at size 13. I saw that no matter what my trade and lux, the effects were never more than 2xSize. Sücks. I can see making it take more lux after a certain point, but not a hard cutoff.
Old June 24, 2002, 11:52   #72
Julius Brenzaida
King

Ok, I will try to play this evening or tomorrow morning
I've already played for 2 succession games today
Old June 24, 2002, 17:33   #73
Julius Brenzaida
King

880ad. Well, the whole world is watching me, at least the whole Gits world !
900ad. According to LaFayette’s plan, we capture Thebes and the Pyramids and the Great Library. The wealthy city was only defended by 3 warriors ! El-Amarna and Pi-Ramseses are also incited to revolt, for good measure.
920ad. We discover Magnetism.
960ad. Engineering from GL.
1060ad. Feudalism discovered. No Decorum now size 12.
1080ad. Get Whale founded. Heliopolis walls sabotaged and city captured.
Old June 24, 2002, 17:36   #74
Julius Brenzaida
King

That were my 10 turns of fame. A small force (2 dips and 3 crusaders) is heading for the Russians. It should be able to take a city by surprise, providing this one has no city walls. The Egyptians are down and should be finished soon. I’ve started building Sun Tzu ...
Here is the saved game.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip bortei1080ad.zip (23.1 KB, 6 views)
Old June 24, 2002, 18:44   #75
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Calling all RODENTS
Time for Republic?

----------------

SG(2)
Old June 25, 2002, 02:51   #76
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The order reads as follows:

1) La Fayette
2) Julius
3) SG[1]
4) Straybow
5) SG(2)

Messer Niccolò is on holiday for 10 days will slot in on his return.

---------------

SG(2)

Last edited by Scouse Gits; June 30, 2002 at 20:37.
Old June 25, 2002, 02:52   #77
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

I'm on it ...

SG[1]
Old June 25, 2002, 03:22   #78
Julius Brenzaida
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
Calling all RODENTS
Time for Republic?
Well, the empire, after milleniums of Monarchic propaganda and careful military occupation was not ready for democratic ideas
We could win by republic/democracy, but only by 4000ad
Old June 25, 2002, 13:51   #79
La Fayette
King

Republic?
I vote Yes
Old June 26, 2002, 01:32   #80
Straybow
Emperor

Hah! Everybody knows Bortei is just a figurehead… literally. Been dead for centuries. Had her carcass stuffed and puppet controls put in to move the mouth and hands.
Old June 26, 2002, 01:36   #81
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Re: Republic ?
Not on my watch!

Prelate SG[1]
Old June 26, 2002, 08:04   #82
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Great Khan Hungry Hamster I
Hungry Hamster is declared Great Khan of the Mrs. Mongol's People. He surveys the Realm, and winces!

We are building a Wonder - this is good - in a dirt hole - this is bad - without the use of caravans - this may prove disasterous.

An Invasion Force is moving towards Russia - this is Very Good - it is too small - this is bad - there are no defensive units - this is Very Bad. There is only one Russian city that needs taking - for the very reason we need to take it. Although the Gardens are nearing their 'sell-by' date they still give the key to celebration and importantly are the keystone of the Russian Empire - when Moscow falls their whole empire will revolt and be purchasable for a mustard seed or two.

1080 = Babs tithe 250g; Buffalo Skin founded;
1100 = University in No Decorum; Temple in El-Amarna; Persians 100g;
1120 = Temple Turin; Hierconpolis destroyed;
1140 = Courthouse in Goldilocks (worth 5 arrows); Persian Gate founded;50g from Persians;
1160 = Assault on Sevastapol starts
1180 = Temple in River Elbow; Sanitation -> Invention; Sevastapol falls, 75g; Barracks Sold;
1200 = Sun Tzu's War Academy in NPV; Temple in Oil Well; Silk, Port Remote, 123g; 50g Persians;
1220 = Sewer System in No Decorum; Dye, Short, 38g; Silk, N. Star, 135g; Copper, Pt Remote, 41g; Silk, Miraculous Fish, 66g; Unsought Riches with Temple and Granary (60g) tips from hut;
1240 = Marketplace in Short; Gold, Goldilocks, 37g; Food Caravan to No Decorum; Nomad from hut; Northern Egypt founded; Persians 50g;
1260 = Temples in Confluence & N. Star; No Decorum @ 13; Salt, Summer Palace, 25g; Dye, Confluence, 40g; Food to No Decorum;
1280 = Marketplace in Goldilocks & Spamarkand; Invention -> Democracy (for SoL & Fundy); Closth, Thebes, 83g; Alexandria falls, 41g; Egyptian civilisation destroyed; No Decorum @ 14;

SG[1] - Happy Hungry Hamster ...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip bo_a1280.zip (24.1 KB, 5 views)
Old June 26, 2002, 11:41   #83
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Straybow - you now carry the torch

---------------

SG(2)
Old June 26, 2002, 13:49   #84
Straybow
Emperor

Glug, glug, glug…
[Throwing cheesy Pythonesque old-lady voice to Bortei puppet]
We are ready to rule! We appoint Straybow our vizier [seen casually sipping from a chalice]. See, I can even give orders while he drinks a glass of water.

(d'ya think they bought it?)
Old June 27, 2002, 13:39   #85
Straybow
Emperor

Small invasions
1280 General Straybow takes command of the Mongol Hordes. I assume
–––– most of the Caravans produced in the suburbs of No Decorum are
–––– intended for Wonder production & nearby Settlers are converting
–––– forest to plains = food, and trade blessed by Crom
–––– For the rest take good commodities as they come (what's with all
–––– the coal?)
1300 Silk from Quad 150! Small force lands near Moscow. 2 Ruskie
–––– Settlers die; 2 Crucs ascend to glory
1320 Archers and Cruc die in counterattack; Silver from Lake Ferry 65
1340 Democracy invented, now to Theology (improve Mike's effect)
1360 Mostly tickling; Russian Chariot near Short; Cruc makes short work
1380 Surviving Cruc plunders Kiev for 17 gold (destroyed)
1400 Silk from Goldilocks 120! Surviving Cruc no longer surviving.
–––– Caravan stockpile converted into…
1420 Statue of Liberty by which we demand a new government:
1440 Fundamentalism under H. P. Bortei/Lord Protector Straybow
–––– (Max eff. sci = 50%, lux = 30% for WLT Lord Protector in No Dec)
1460 Hut Legion (NE of Alexandria)
1480 Stabilized at 10 turns/discovery. River Elbow Gold to Giza 72
1500 Theology mastered, now to Steam Engine
–––– Turin Silk 150; Moscow Barracks and Elly sabotaged, -1 Phalanx.

Somewhere in the mid 1400s I got 75 from Persia. Use the 3 Bears Dip to bribe a warrior so the Settler can irrigate! Sending a couple caravans up towards the northern colonies, some to cross the Memphis Straights, many down to Russia with demanded commodities. Might as well profit from them before we hack them to pieces in traditional Mongol vs Slav fashion.

Ooops, looks like I forgot to fix the workers in Giza and Turin.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav bo1500.sav (146.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Straybow; June 27, 2002 at 13:55.
Old June 27, 2002, 14:10   #86
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Thanks to everyone for keeping the game moving so well! I have downloaded and will consider my strategy over a glass or two of red

--------------------

SG(2)
Old June 28, 2002, 20:26   #87
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Youall will be glad to know that I pursuaded the Old Git to stay in Fundy....

SG[1] - extremely well greased
Old June 29, 2002, 03:28   #88
Julius Brenzaida
King

Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Scouse Gits Youall will be glad to know that I pursuaded the Old Git to stay in Fundy....
Yeah, but did you persuade him to play his turns too
It might reveal some imcompatibility
Old June 30, 2002, 20:23   #89
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Both Gits took the first two turns and decided a general plan - then SG(2) played on resisting all thoughts of going Commie

1500 - 50g Tribute from Persians; noting that we are currently throwing 25% of our lovely arrows down the nearest drain we move the Science slider to a more comfortable 0% setting! (With a token scientist currently in Memphis)

1510 - Coal, N Star, 57g; Coal, Pt Remote, 46g; Dye, memphis, 126g; Coal, Smolensk, 262g; Wine, Byblos-Smolensk, 86g; Babs donate 50g (out of a treasury of 51); 25 gold from Persians

1520 - Tribute from Persians 25g and with the money Antioch bribed...at last a port city to facilitate transport to the northern cities; Riches-on-Sea founded; Quad Specials Salt - 65g; Upper Nile Wine 75g;
Smolensk captured by Vet Crusaders 60 plundered. No Decorum size 15

1530 - No Decorum size 16; Quad Specials Beads 65g; North Ferry Dye 40g; River Elbow wine 27g; Confluence wine 23g; Unused Whale founded

1540 - Tarsus bribed; Byblos Silver 200g; Gold to Byblos 75g; Vladivostock bribed; Barracks built in Smolensk for unit healing

1550 - Steam Engine - Now for Economics; Persian Rug founded; Wine to Moscow 102g; Gold to Get Whale 180g; Giza Dye 220g; Goldilocks copper 48g; Thebes Salt 103g; Upper Nile coal 75g; Heliopolis copper 102g; PI Pamesses Wine 100g; Dye to Argos 104g; Buffalo Skin silk 43g; Get Whale beads 60g; Three Bears silk 40g; Memphis wine 66g

1560 - Economics Now on Gunpowder; Nice Island founded; NPV Dye 50g; Oil Well cloth 34g; Operation Moscow ...the army gathers

1570 - Moscow and the Gardens captured; No Decorum builds Stock Exchange...very rich priests Spamarkand Silver 60g;Heliopolis dye 218g; Summer Palace silver 75g;Pi Ramesses spice 100g; 163 plundered; St. Petersburgh bribed for 980 but 124 in plunder; Corinth bribed for 932; 185 plundered. Persians declare war! About time too

1580 - Minsk bribed for 318g - 105 plundered; Arebela bribed for 432 - 19 plundered; Cut salt 31g; Cash Flow dye 40g; Upper Nile cloth 80g; Northern Egypt coal 77g; Coal to Oil Well 90g; Russians throw 600g for a peace treaty - Advanced Tribe - Little Russia

1590 - J. S. Bach's Cathedral Rhodes captured 151 plunder; Persian Gate silk 189g; Summer Palace dye 60g; Get Whale salt 65g; Memphis cloth; 73g; Novgorod bribed 7 plundered

1600 - Gunpowder now Metallurgy (very little offered) Byblos gems 86g; North Star wool 60g

1610 - Ephesos bribed for 715g - 151g plunder; Odessa captured - 11 plunder; Tblisi captured 6 plundered; Buffalo Skin coal 47g; Heliopolis gems 122g

1620 - Leonordo's Workshop; Persepolis captured 46g plundered; Susa bribed for 216g; One more Persian city - Gordium! Where? Sverdlovsk captured 11g plundered; Yakutsk captured 3g plundered; El Amarna dye 210g; Pi Ramesses cloth 112g; River Elbow coal 28g

Gold 4176; 1325 gold per turn less upkeep of 53

It became a monster towards the end so SG(2) retired to bed

La Fayette next to play

------------------------

SG(2)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav bo_a1620.sav (145.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Scouse Gits; June 30, 2002 at 20:41.
Old July 2, 2002, 03:43   #90
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Who's next?