Old August 2, 2002, 08:41   #301
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 02:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
All you need is Resist Magika (the higher the better) for sufficient time to put the boots on. I have a 60% for 2 seconds spell. It's expensive to cast, but it's a one-off. Once the boots are on, you continue to be able to see.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old August 2, 2002, 12:38   #302
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett
All you need is Resist Magika (the higher the better) for sufficient time to put the boots on. I have a 60% for 2 seconds spell. It's expensive to cast, but it's a one-off. Once the boots are on, you continue to be able to see.

good tip, thanks... it seems I'll be making some spells tonight

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old August 2, 2002, 12:43   #303
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Onefoot, yea, those cliff racer birds still attack when you're levitating, but they're a lot easier to dispose of when you're at their level (still have to be under them to hit them though). Everything can still attack you if you're close enough. I get Ordinators shooting fire balls at me all the time in Vivec.

Also, I have a pair of silk pants enchanted with 100% resist magic for like 3 seconds, so that I can put the boots on. I also have a helm with 22 points of nighteye in constant effect, so that it looks as if I never put the boots on.

The resist magic spell seems like an exploit, since you cast it once while you put the boots on and all, so if you want to play it straight there's a Curaiss of Saint's something that gives you 60% constant effect resist magika in Tel Fyr. There are also many many other artifacts with resist magika.

The boots absolutely do not effect fighting. I wear them all the time. And with my levitation ring, I do indeed float through caves and stuff, and I can't remember the last time I set foot on stairs. =)
Old August 2, 2002, 18:36   #304
Tuberski

To set the record straight, your ability scores CAN go over 100.

Your SKILLS, however, max out at 100. But they can also be boosted over 100 with magic items.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 2, 2002, 20:15   #305
Eroberer
King

Oh. Well I can't get over 100 in strength. Can you tell me why that is? Any reason?
Old August 2, 2002, 21:48   #306
Tuberski

No reason I can think of, my speed right now is at 282 or something like that.

I thought I read that stats could go over 100, maybe I was mistaken.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 2, 2002, 21:50   #307
Eroberer
King

You aren't wearing any speed increasing enchanted items?

I'll look into it again later I guess. I'm pretty sure that I read they can't go over 100.
Old August 2, 2002, 22:02   #308
Tuberski

You know what, now that I think about it...I cheated. made the bound items of zero duration and upped my stats that way, doesn't work with the patch, so maybe you are right.
Old August 2, 2002, 22:07   #309
Eroberer
King

heh, got ya.

edit: I'm watching a thoroughly disgusting "comic" on the comedy channel, and just kind of accidentally posted this message here. sorry!

Last edited by Eroberer; August 2, 2002 at 22:20.
Old August 3, 2002, 18:59   #310
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Well a correction - I got speed to 102 - that was 99+3, and when I upgraded it was 102 on the screen, but now when I got another level boost, it was 100 and with no ability to go up in this skill, so I guess that 102 is some minimalist bug that doesn't last long.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old August 5, 2002, 00:50   #311
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:34
I had the same thing with a Willpower of 98 and a +5 skill increase. My Willpower went up to 103, but immediately dropped to 100 when I checked my stats screen. The next time I levelled up it wasn't possible to increase my Willpower. Apparently, 100 is the max for stats (unless you magically fortify them). 100 is also the max for skills, but you can still train a maxed out skill; the skill doesn't increase, but at your next level-up you get the stat multiplier as if you had increased the skill.
Old August 5, 2002, 15:54   #312
Eroberer
King

I see what you all are talking about. I also realized that my character is essentially a Mage, and it's weird that my first maxed out skill is strength. That should show you what I spend most of my time on with this game.
Old August 5, 2002, 16:01   #313
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I've got four maxed out skills: Endurance, Intelligence, Willpower, and Personality. The other four are at about 75 or 80. (My only strength skill is Longblade, and I haven't really got any Agility or Speed skills since I use heavy armor all of the time. The only reason that Endurance is so high is because I put points into it every time I levelled up even if it didn't have a good multiplier, since I like having lots of hit points.) I maxed out Intelligence, Willpower, and Personality right off the bat (had two or three major/minor skills that relied on each), but that meant that the multipliers for my other skills were lousy. In hindsight, it's a good idea to substitute a few Athletics or Acrobatics type skills in place of some magery. Also, there's really no need to have both Speechcraft and Mercantile. (Everything's pretty damn cheap for me at the moment, but that just means that I've got more gold than I know what to do with. Speechcraft + Mercantile is overkill.)
Old August 5, 2002, 20:05   #314
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Ah well, I just maxed out speed - strength is the next in line. Loot/money/ I want that mule

Do you guy's have it and how does it work, slows you down? -

btw -I already have a resist magicka robe, so i tried -and now my ferrari boots drive in constant "evening " shade - just enough light to drive at night too

Old August 5, 2002, 20:11   #315
Eroberer
King

I found swimming in puddles during cave splunking to be hard, so that's why my spoiled character gets that night-eye helm. It's a Telvanni Cephalapod helmet, btw.

What are you talking about, this mule? I want one, too! I think...
Old August 6, 2002, 04:28   #316
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:34
Mule?
You mean that plugin with a pack ... guar I think its called?

Quote:
btw -I already have a resist magicka robe, so i tried -and now my ferrari boots drive in constant "evening " shade - just enough light to drive at night too
I just hope your character stays off the skooma whilst doing this.
Wouldn't want to get pulled over by the traffic ordinators.
Old August 6, 2002, 06:26   #317
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
Mule?
You mean that plugin with a pack ... guar I think its called?

I just hope your character stays off the skooma whilst doing this.
Wouldn't want to get pulled over by the traffic ordinators.

Old August 6, 2002, 12:16   #318
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 19:34
Man this game is huge, I've been playing for 40+ hours, and I've only discovered about 1/5th of the map (and that's being generous).
Old August 6, 2002, 12:41   #319
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

No kidding, one of the reviews I read said something like "Morrowind is so huge that finishing or even starting the main quest isn't even really necessary to still enjoy the game. Some gamers might decide to just play around in the game for over 100 hours without even starting the main quest."

I agree that playing the main quest isn't really needed to enjoy the game, but it would sure be a waste not to finish it IMO. I just killed my first Ash Vampire the other day, f'rinstance, and the experience was better even than becoming Arch-mage or Archmagister.
Old August 7, 2002, 10:42   #320
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Telvanni part of the island is the best. These 1000 year old sorcerers are wicked

What is the benefit of enchanting skill, does enchantments become cheaper or? And is there anyone in Morrowind who has more money than Creeper, and buys pearls/ etc... just interested in more money that's all I can always spend some to buy their good will .

Old August 7, 2002, 11:00   #321
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
Telvanni part of the island is the best. These 1000 year old sorcerers are wicked
Fyr's the best, just don't try attacking him--he's got on a full set of Daedric armor. It's worse than taking on an Ash Vampire.

Quote:
What is the benefit of enchanting skill, does enchantments become cheaper or?
It's only used for enchanting your own stuff or recharging your stuff with soul gems. The higher the skill, the higher the probability of success. Given the relative scarcity of decent soul gems I didn't practice this one much (it was a Misc. skill anyway), but if you're looking to enchant your own stuff then I'd recommend that you pick up Azura's Star, which is a reusable Grand Soul Gem.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:15   #322
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I just beat the game, but I'm slightly disappointed--it appears that there is only one possible ending (as opposed to the dozen or so possible endings to Daggerfall). Does anybody know of a way to get a different ending than the "standard ending" (I won't describe it so as not to spoil it for anybody)?

All in all I loved the game, and intend to keep playing it (currently I'm an Arch-Mage in the Mage's Guild and Archmagister in House Telvanni, but the rest of my faction ratings are relatively low so I've still got plenty of quests to perform). I was just hoping for more of an ending.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:30   #323
November Adam
Prince

You can belong to the house Telvanni and the mages guild? I thought they were at war with each other.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:58   #324
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by November Adam
You can belong to the house Telvanni and the mages guild? I thought they were at war with each other.
Yeah, they don't like each other, but most of the quests done by the two sides didn't seem to conflict with one another; for instance, I wasn't asked to kill anybody important in House Telvanni (except as part of House Telvanni quests, since it's a pretty brutal house), nor was I asked to kill anybody important in the Mage's Guild quests.

If you're ranked Wizard or higher in the Mage's Guild, then it seemed like the only way to get a decent faction from the Telvanni was to join them. At one point I was a Master Wizard in the Mage's Guild with a high Personality (maxed out, in fact) and Speechcraft (also maxed out), and every faction had at least a 90 reaction to me except for Telvanni, which had a 35 (!) reaction to me. They hated me! If I hadn't had such a high personality/speechcraft, then they might have killed me on sight. They had no problem with me joining, though, (since I was such a badass wizard), and as soon as I joined them my Telvanni reaction jumped to a cool 100. I was already so advanced in the Mage's Guild (especially from my completion of the extremely difficult Disappearance of the Dwarves quest from Trebonius) that advancement in Telvanni didn't dent my Mage's Guild reaction of 100.

If I hadn't joined Telvanni, then I'd probably have had to kill all of the Telvanni counsellors in order to get them to name me Hortator. As it was, I reached Archmagister before starting on the Hortator quest, so my selection as Hortator was already a done deal.
Old August 7, 2002, 14:03   #325
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Try playing again and finish the game as a vampire (it's VERY tough, but i heard it is possible) ... that should offer a whole different play-experience.
Old August 7, 2002, 15:45   #326
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Try playing again and finish the game as a vampire (it's VERY tough, but i heard it is possible) ... that should offer a whole different play-experience.
Whoaaaaa, anyway don't tell us

except - more endings are possible - nice - I wander what I will be for the next characheter ---- ooo I am not even half way trough in this one.

I guess I could do a faction/ or guild each start until you get tired of the game

Old August 7, 2002, 15:59   #327
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Yikes! I'm just a Level 10 Imperial Crusader. Such an inferiority complex . Well, I mean, I've played about 50 hours, and now just getting into the main quest. Just got the info that I'm the Nerevarine, and I have to kill the Sixth House cult on the sea, but before I do that, I decided I want to go see Suran. I love this game .

If I play it again, I'll pick a Dark Elf... Imperials are very bland.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 7, 2002, 16:40   #328
November Adam
Prince

I'm playing as an Argonian scout, I really like Argonians, swimming is so easy with them.

I'm at level 27, have maxed out strength, and maxed out the long sword skill. I don't really have any problems killing anything, but an ancient wizard skeleton sure gave me a hard time when my willpower was drained to zero.
Old August 7, 2002, 17:33   #329
Eroberer
King

Argonians can't wear boots though, right?
Old August 7, 2002, 17:34   #330
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

nor can Khajits