Old August 10, 2002, 18:43   #361
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Woot!! I better do that quick... well... maybe after I get all the paperwork in line to build my Stronghold .
Yeah, it takes awhile for them to build your stronghold. It's nice to have a place to store all of your loot.
Old August 10, 2002, 18:44   #362
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Eroberer
The last time I played a couple days ago, I was heading off to smite the Sixth house, but the game crashed and I said the hell with it. The game now crashes about every fifth load.
Did you install the latest patch?
Old August 10, 2002, 18:49   #363
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 19:34
Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger

Yeah, it takes awhile for them to build your stronghold. It's nice to have a place to store all of your loot.

Is this stronghold a plug in or part of the original game?
Old August 10, 2002, 19:10   #364
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Part of the original game. You eventually get a stronghold through Great House quests.
Old August 10, 2002, 23:15   #365
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 21:34
Yea, I now have the latest patch installed. I dunno if it'll work though, 'cus I'm using a no-CD hack. I think I'm eventually just gonna reinstall the game, but I just installed CivIII (and patched it), so it may be a while.
Old August 11, 2002, 00:00   #366
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmmm... speaking of strongholds - what exactly are you supposed to do in the "strongholds" scattered over the map? I ran into one (Marandus?) to the South of the road leading through Molag-something (the mages quest where you have to convince somebody to join and somebody else to pay some overdue fees).
It was a Dunmer stronghold apparently so I wandered in to talk to their traders and offload a few bits and pieces but they all attacked me on sight ...
Did I do something wrong? Can you talk to them or is it just a hack and slash?

Also I nearly ran into one of the frost atronarchs in the dwemer ruins just over the bridge north of Moonmoth fortress. Not wanting to get into a fight unprepared I hid out of sight while raising protections etc but when I went out to do battle it had disappeared and around the next bend a short distance away was a flame atronarch!
Can these things transform from one aspect into another or was this just a coincidence?
Old August 11, 2002, 00:37   #367
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There isn't much to do in the strongholds besides dungeon-delve. There are a couple you need to clean out for the main quest and for some side quests, but other than that they're just another set of abandoned ruins. They do have a use for travel, though--each stronghold has a Propylon Chamber with two pylons tuned to a different stronghold, and if you have the correct Propylon Index with you, you can instantly travel from one fortress to another.

There are a few friendly people in and around the strongholds (a lady inside one of the strongholds trained my Alchemy skill all the way up to 100), but generally they're pretty hostile. (Same holds true for any ruins. I've waltzed into Daedric shrines without anybody seeming to mind (got a kickass gauntlet called Gambolpuddy in one of them, off of an Orc who was convinced that he was really a Khajit), but I've also waltzed into a few where I was apparently KOS.)

AFAIK, atronachs can't change their aspect. What you're describing was probably a concidence; I think that the random monsters "unspawn" if you're out of range, so when you go back in the same area later a new monster may have spawned in their place. I went to a Daedric shrine that was crawling with Dremoras one time, but didn't have time to clean it out and left the Dremoras alone. I came back after I'd gained several levels, and all of the Dremoras had been replaced by Golden Saints and Winged Twilights.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:25   #368
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 02:34
I am a bit low on the main quest, but I am level 12 or 13 now, I think...

Currenntly I am in the ruins of K???? ah sorting out the third Nevarine sign for me. I just stopped last night as it was half past one, and I have to be at least a little awake for this job where I am now . I thought that the plase has been cleared - whhile killing the last bloke/ or some sixth house squid / I found the key for lower K???? on him, and than it was clear to me I finally had to go to bed.

I think I will try to clean fighter guild quests and than do the main one, or do the both slowly, so next time - if there will be a next time , I will be able to pick another guild/faction to clear and so on.

I am wandering did any of you join Morag Tong - that might be fun, assasins and all that.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:53   #369
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I joined the Morag Tong, right now I'm an Exalted Master (one rank below the top rank). They're fun, simple quests, but make sure that you don't have any stolen goods on you when you present your Writ to the Ordinators, because they'll confiscate all of it. (Lost a perfectly good ebony cuirass that way.) You can get your stuff back later by looting the Evidence chest, but it's more trouble than it's usually worth. It helps if you're in both the Morag Tong and the Thieves Guild, since often it's easier just to have the Thieves Guild remove a bounty than to present a Writ. (It seemed like most of the time I got hit up for Assault, which is only a 40 GP bounty, rather than Murder, which is a 1000 GP bounty. It was easier to pay the Thieves Guild 20 GP than it was to take off all of my stolen items and present my Writ.)

There is no limit to the number of factions that you can join, except that you may only join one of the three Great Houses. Currently, I've got the highest possible rank in the Thieves Guild, the Fighters Guild, the Mages Guild, and House Telvanni. One more quest and I'll be a Grandmaster in the Morag Tong, after which I can finish up the quests for the Tribunal Temple and Imperial Cult. I'm saving the Imperial Legion for last, since I hate having to wear their crappy armor.

I'm trying to see if I can get my Reputation up to 100. (Currently it's at 80.)
Old August 12, 2002, 09:58   #370
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

A final note about the Morag Tong: They're a good faction to join early on. If you're presented a Writ for somebody you've already killed (either through another faction's quests or through your own bloodthirstiness) then the Grandmaster's reaction to you takes a hit. "I don't know why you would have already killed [insert intended victim here], we at the Morag Tong are honorable assassins, not common thugs."
Old August 12, 2002, 10:00   #371
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Master Loinburger

I think I will start a new game for all this just to try out a different charachter.

But did you find this?

Is there anyplace in the regular game to sell all those nice and expensive ebony/glass, armour/ weapons. Currently I did not manage to find anyone with more money than the Creeper in Caldera? So Casiuses flat is full of goodies at the moment and I don't really know what to do with all that apart to open up a museum of expensive armor and weaponary (I wish I could). Any ideas? - just within the regular game, I don't really want to add any "super rich" charachters to the game.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:14   #372
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I didn't find anybody else. I just went ahead and sold all of my super-expensive items (at least the ones I knew I wouldn't use, f'rinstance I kept the Staff of Magnus and Necromancer's Amulet) for 5,000 GP; once you start killing Dremoras and Golden Saints on a regular basis, your stock of super-expensive items increases to the point that your loot chests start filling up. Just make sure you remember where you've sold your stuff, in case you need to buy it back later.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:44   #373
November Adam
Prince

It takes time, but if you sell Creeper a pile of stuff that is normally around 1,000 gp - 5,000 gp. You can use it as change for your expensive stuff. But it is really a pain in the butt.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:41   #374
Eroberer
King

Yea, if you click barter with the creeper, then exit that menu, then barter again and buy back enough stuff so that he has the amount of gold to buy your item, then you sell that item, and wait a day when his money will have regenerated, and sell him back the goods. This leaves you standing in front of the Creeper for weeks on in just to sell a few quest items, but it's probably worth it in the early to mid stages of the game, when money is a problem.

You can also do the same with the mud crab merchant, but I have no idea where this little thing is.

Or, you can alter the Creeper with the TES, and give him 999K gold, which I did. Consequently, I walk around with almost 2 million in gold. =)
Old August 12, 2002, 12:53   #375
November Adam
Prince

Well I'm a purist, so no altering for me!

I just run back and forth to Shanks and sleep for 24 hours. I have a mark cast infront of Creeper, so I just recall back to him. Still takes a bit of time though.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:59   #376
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Believe me, in the long run you're better off selling your expensive items for 5,000 GP and be done with it. It can take days to get the full price for a bunch of Glass, Ebony, and Daedric weapons/armor, and in that time you could have gone out and killed some more Dremoras and Golden Saints (netting yourself even more expensive weaponry). You get the same amount of money by selling 100 expensive weapons at full price as you do by selling 300-500 expensive weapons at cut-rate prices, but you also gain more experience via the second method of killing Dremoras and Golden Saints. (In my opinion, the second method is also a lot more fun and rewarding).

Plus, once you get 100 in your Speechcraft and Mercantile skills like I have, you find that everything is so wonderfully cheap that you end up with a surplus of funds. I've trained all of my relevant skills (Block, Heavy Armor, Armorer, Blunt Weapon, Long Blade, Conjuration, Enchantment, Alchemy, Sneak, Security, Mysticism, Destruction, Alteration, Illusion, Restoration, Acrobatics, Athletics, Mercantile, Speechcraft) up to 100, and I'm still left with hundreds of thousands of GP left over that are never going to get spent, since it only costs an average of 20,000 GP to train a skill up to 100 (once you've got 100 Personality, 100 Speechcraft, and 100 Mercantile). I'd be kicking myself right now if I hadn't earned my funds the "fun" way, because otherwise I'd feel like I wasted all of my time ****ing around with the Creeper.
Old August 12, 2002, 15:41   #377
November Adam
Prince

Loin,you just pointed out the strength/weakness of this game.

You can get so amazingly powerful, it can make this game a breeze. Which really takes out the challenge of it.
Old August 12, 2002, 16:43   #378
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The same was even more true for Daggerfall, since you could make spells that increased in power as you increased in level. F'rinstance, in Morrowind if I want to make an Open spell at 100 strength (i.e. can open any lock in the game), I've got to do just that: make an Open spell at 100 strength, costing something like 50 spell points per casting. In Daggerfall, though, I could make an Open spell whose strength was "2 per level," costing something like 3 spell points per casting. Once you're at level 50, you're set. (Similarly, I could make a "damage 20 per level" spell that would destroy anything at level 50). I'm happy/sad that they removed this tweak from the game, since now I can't make ungodly powerful characters.

At higher levels, the "difficulty" slider comes in handy. Jack it all the way to its maximum, and even my level 50 character has to worry about those damned cliff racers again (not to mention Ash Vampires!).
Old August 12, 2002, 17:04   #379
November Adam
Prince

I'm on the Xbox so there is no "difficult" slider.... I don't think.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:41   #380
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Probably not, it was included in a patch for the PC.
Old August 12, 2002, 20:45   #381
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:34
Quote:
There is no limit to the number of factions that you can join, except that you may only join one of the three Great Houses.
There's a plugin out there somewhere which allows one to join all 3 houses IIRC.
I've just joined the Telvanni too. Not because of any urgent need for powerful spells, moral ambiguities on my part or any other such tame reasons. I joined as soon as I laid eyes on their totally cool city styles.
Those tree towers look absolutely fantastic (and the fog weather type is so much more appealing than the ash storms that beseige some of the other houses).

I've just taken out my first golden saint entity. Didn't even see what it was in the gloom so I'm lucky I got a soul trap off. It wasn't that tough, not nearly as challenging as a dremora lord I ran away from or even a daedroth.
Another oddity; In the Dwemer city near Moonmoth I struggled against those walking dreadnoughts but chopped up the spectres with ease. The last one I cast a soul trap on just to see how much it would be worth, thinking it'd go into one of my lesser gems.
Shock, horror the darned thing took up a grand soul gem and is worth 40k gold ...
Even the undead ancestors, for which you sometimes start off with the summon spell, are worth 4k gold - about as much as a flame atronarch which are much much tougher to kill.
How did the makers work these things out?
The incorporeal undead seem to be worth much more than their corporeal counterparts and easier creatures more than harder creatures ....

Last edited by ravagon; August 13, 2002 at 00:00.
Old August 12, 2002, 23:37   #382
Eroberer
King

My justification of altering the Creeper is that standing there waiting for 24 hours (btw you don't even have to run off and sleep, just hit the sleep button and click "wait") is also an exploit, and it's unrealistic, too. Plus the merchants in all of Daggerfall had infinite gold. But you all can do what you wanna do, and I'll be a millionaire and less annoyed in the real world. =)
Old August 13, 2002, 04:07   #383
OneFootInTheGrave
King

I think I will builf up money and than try to enchant something for loads, and than sell some armour to get it back.

Anyway, I still have plenty money for my purposes even though I haven't sold any expensive stuff, and I am level 17 by now

Old August 14, 2002, 20:02   #384
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Does anybody know if using enchanted items increases your Enchant skill, or if it's only making and recharging enchanted items that increases Enchant?
Old August 14, 2002, 20:06   #385
Tuberski

Quote:
Does anybody know if using enchanted items increases your Enchant skill, or if it's only making and recharging enchanted items that increases Enchant?
It's only the ACT of enchanting items.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 14, 2002, 20:12   #386
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Dammit! I've just gotten this fantastic enchanted katana, but at my current Enchantment skill I can only get about 25 uses out of it before it needs recharging. I'd like to get that up to 50 by just hack-n-slash, but it looks like I'm going to have to find myself some honyock to train me up in Enchant...
Old August 14, 2002, 20:46   #387
November Adam
Prince

loin if you have that cool soulgem why don't you snag little souls, and practice enchanting cheap items like clothes?
Old August 14, 2002, 21:31   #388
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I can do that, but it's extremely time-consuming. (The soul-gem is perfect for periodically recharging my new sword, though, which also gets me experience in Enchant.)
Old August 14, 2002, 21:48   #389
Eroberer
King

So do you even get more uses of enchanted items with your enchantment skills? I'm pretty sure it is set in stone...
Old August 15, 2002, 00:01   #390
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm pretty sure the cost of using enchantments goes down as your enchantment skill goes up, or maybe it's that your items automatically recharge more quickly as your enchantment skill goes up (which works out to be about the same thing).