Old July 17, 2002, 04:34   #211
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 02:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
To post a screenshot or two.

Caldera at night

Don't forget to put DIGITAL VIBRANCE TO HIGH in your driver setup, even these screenshots will look twice as good when you have it set up on HIGH. (nvidia drives that is, most likely other cards have a comparative feature)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot 01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	19792  

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.

Last edited by OneFootInTheGrave; July 17, 2002 at 04:43.
Old July 17, 2002, 04:35   #212
OneFootInTheGrave
King

caldera again...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshot 21.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	19793  

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 17, 2002, 04:36   #213
OneFootInTheGrave
King

last one

... on the way back to Balmora... sun is slowly coming up
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	screenshot 41.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	19794  

Old July 18, 2002, 03:59   #214
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Thanks for the 'Digital Vibrance' tip - works well...

SG[1]
Old July 18, 2002, 14:46   #215
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Digital Vibrance? Where can I find digital vibrance? I was aware of no such feature of my nvidia drivers. Thanks in advance!

Btw, there are unlimited levels, as far as I know. I've seen some people on the Morrowind Summitt forums up to level 74 or 75.
Old July 18, 2002, 19:14   #216
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eroberer
Digital Vibrance? Where can I find digital vibrance? I was aware of no such feature of my nvidia drivers. Thanks in advance!

Btw, there are unlimited levels, as far as I know. I've seen some people on the Morrowind Summitt forums up to level 74 or 75.
Unlimited levels do you ever run out of quests?

and digital vibrance is enabled in the color section (under color tab) on your driver properties, I have a slider, like 4 or 5 settings.

And it is possible that this feature is not enabled in all driver but it is in last ones 30.20 - that you can get of their site.

If not use a utility, I have Riva Tuner. You can find various utilites including that one here www.nvnews.net, a small download.

Utilities are on right hand side of the screen. The game comes alive with this turned on. I keep it on highest level. I am sure this is how the game was meant to be seen.

Old July 18, 2002, 19:42   #217
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:34
I thought that you stopped levelling up when you maxed out your stats. (This does take awhile, though...)
Old July 18, 2002, 20:35   #218
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 20:34
I thought that you were suppose to go up levels when you trained, but I am not

also, does anyone know how to go up levels in mercantile and speechcraft easily?

I got up a level in those once a bluemoon (well, I have gone up a level in both and now, nomatter how often I buya nd sell stuff, my mercantile score does not rise)

Jon Miller
Old July 18, 2002, 22:05   #219
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:34
I thought you increased levels in training too? Maybe you need just more level increases if you're training in minor or misc skills?

Increasing Speechcraft is much easier if its a major skill - talk to NPC's you won't be bartering/training with (ie: It won't affect you too much if they don't like you) and admire/taunt - but not so much that your approval rating goes too low - otherwise you'll have to bribe to get it up again.
You'll get a lot of failures but everytime you succeed your speechcraft increases. Eventually you'll start gaining levels.
Merchantile - Again a big plus if its a major skill - Reduce your purchase price and increase your selling price when bartering with merchants (the +/- icons). If they refuse your offer your approval rating drops a little temporarily, but again, with every success, your mercantile level increases.
Old July 18, 2002, 22:07   #220
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You only go up levels from training your major and minor skills.

The easiest way to go up levels in speechcraft is to find somebody who likes you and Admire them repeatedly. Every time you're successful your speechcraft skill will go up, and you'll fail often enough that you'll be able to keep Admiring somebody indefinitely (until your speechcraft gets in the 50's or 60's, at which point you'll Admire people and they'll hit 100 disposition in no time). I haven't found an easy way to go up in mercantile, so I just train the skill up.
Old July 18, 2002, 23:02   #221
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

they are both major skills so I figured it would be easy (both at 41 and I have trained neither)

I didn't realise I could + or - (I awlays have been taking what they offfered, makes me wonder how I got up that one level of mercantile)

I thought you could now gain leels from oyur Misc skills (with the new patch)

Jon Miller
Old July 19, 2002, 05:16   #222
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

As far as I can gather - levels gained in Misc skills effect the multipliers available when you eventually level up - the levelling itself is only achieved by ten advances in Major and minor skills - I recently 'tested' this as my intelligence was quite low 30 ish and I needed 40 to advance in the Blades - so I concentrated my training on skills dependent upon Intelligence and lo and behold once i levelled up I got a x5 multiplier on intel - Happy Bunny

SG[1]
Old July 19, 2002, 05:18   #223
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Digital Vibrance
For me:

Display Properties | Settings | Advanced | Colour Correction and it's a slider near the top of the page ...

SG[1]
Old July 19, 2002, 12:12   #224
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

OK then ... i gave in and have gone and bought this game.

I've been interested in it for a while and since you guys love it so much (and since I now have access to a PC good enough to run it at a decent speed) I bought it.

I won't get a chance to play until Sunday because I'm busy, though, so ....

What advice would you give me for playing (other than the latest patch, exe-crack and video settings)?

What are the things you've most enjoyed about your character or playing experience that I should try?
What are the annoying things that I should try to avoid?

Thanks in advance for you responses.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:12   #225
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 19:34
The cheapest, and easiest way to increase your speech craft is to practice on a slave you free. It doesn't matter what they think of you.

The cheapest way to level up your armour is to find a rat, and let it keep hitting you, they don't do much damage, but your armour level goes way up.

Whats the max stat? is it 100? I'm getting close to it with my strength, so I guess I'll find out.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:12   #226
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
What advice would you give me for playing (other than the latest patch, exe-crack and video settings)?
If you're going to be doing much hand-to-hand combat (i.e. if you're a warrior-based character), then invest heavily in the Blocking skill (be certain that it is a Major skill). I didn't bother using shields in TES I or II (Arena or Daggerfall), since they gave a pretty pitiful bonus to AC and weren't worth sacrificing the extra hitting power of a two-handed weapon. However, they're fantastic in Morrowind, so forget about two-handed melee weapons and always use a good shield.

Play a couple of trial runs with different characters before you start playing the game for real. You'll want to pick a good set of Major and Minor skills. My advice is that you only pick one melee weapon as a Major/Minor skill, and stick to that weapon. Make Athletics, Security, and Acrobatics Major/Minor skills unless you're a powerful spellcaster (in which case you won't need Security or Acrobatics, but might still want to consider Athletics). I'd recommend against making Enchantment a Major/Minor skill since it's extremely difficult to level up.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:27   #227
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
OK then ... i gave in and have gone and bought this game.

I've been interested in it for a while and since you guys love it so much (and since I now have access to a PC good enough to run it at a decent speed) I bought it.

I won't get a chance to play until Sunday because I'm busy, though, so ....

What are the things you've most enjoyed about your character or playing experience that I should try?
What are the annoying things that I should try to avoid?

Thanks in advance for you responses.
Well I like randomness, and at the beginning oyu get a choice of different charachters as a kind of questionare when you get off boat in the first scene. And you can choose to answer questions that a local counsellor asks you which will give you a class upon your answers.

I like that a lot, ans just started playing with my charachter, that resembles some of my qualities upon my answers - and for me the questions asked were quality . You should be able to progress with whatever you become as there are major minor and misc skills, so you can build up any of them - on purpose if you want tho play "god" or just as the game progresses (maybe sometimes you will need training as certain skills will be too low to accomplish tasks).

And the game is OPEN as it can be and you can do whatever you want , and full of life so there is plenty plenty to do.

These are all pluses. A minus is performance occasionally, but other than that the game is the most beautiful to date for my taste too.

Great!

Old July 19, 2002, 23:10   #228
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Digital Vibrance isn't available on all video cards Nvidia makes. IIRC, it's only on the GF2MX and Go (not GTS, Ultra, Pro), and the GeForce 3 & 4 chips.
Old July 20, 2002, 00:03   #229
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I need to get myself a better card

Jon Miller
Old July 20, 2002, 11:05   #230
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I finally found a "Summon Golden Saint" spell in Tel Branora. Wutang!
Old July 20, 2002, 14:20   #231
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Hekp!

with the first 'Blades' quest - to get the info I have to get the 'Puzzle Box' from Ank... -- now I've quartered that hole - opened the locked door - got past the lava pit - but can i find the dratted box - can i hell -- what am i missing ???????????

SG[1]
Old July 21, 2002, 04:26   #232
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 19:34
It's actually as you first come into the main cave, there is a ledge, go up there and there is a room with it in there.
Old July 21, 2002, 04:55   #233
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Thanks - I shall try that - I must say that I felt that I had exhausted all possibilities and that included spending an extra 15 mins inspecting the area around the entrance - been had like that before - but to no avail - will try harder

SG[1]
Old July 21, 2002, 10:13   #234
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

hmmm .... how very annoying.

I've started to play this game a bit now (thanks for the advice! ) and I really like it, but it often crashes in a very strange way.

The game runs very smoothly so I don't think it is to do with the system specs ... and I've installed the latest patch ... but the game often flips back to the desktop after 5-10 mins of playing.

I get no error or crash messages on the screen, no error noises ... no freezes or anything ... I'm just happily playing the game and in the blink of an eye the game ends and I get dumped back to the desktop without warning. Needless to say I can't really play the game in this state.

Any ideas? Help? Please?

(I downloaded the safedisc .exe crack thingy from gamecopyworld, but couldn't work out how to get it to work. how do you do this? maybe this would solve my problems ....)

I'm running it on WinXP with 128MB of ram and a GeForce4 BTW.

This would be an awesome game if only i could actually play it!

Old July 21, 2002, 11:49   #235
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

After browsing the official forum I found that LOADS of people are having a similar problem to me. It appears to be an XP+AMD+DirectX 8.1 compatibility issue. I downloaded an XP update that was supposed to fix it, but it didn't.

Anyone else having these problems?
Old July 21, 2002, 12:17   #236
JohnIII
Warlord

Nope, and I have XP + AMD. It did crash every so often, but only after a few hours.

Doesn't Gamecopyworld have instructions for the crack? It did when I got it.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:19   #237
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

it only says to rename the file you download (is an .ace file) as morrowind.exe and backup the original.

i did that, but when I click on the launcher shortcut and select 'play' nothing happens. i tried sending the shortcut direct to the crack file, but that did nothing also.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:23   #238
JohnIII
Warlord

Hmm...are you sure you have the right one? I used one which requires you to copy the Video directory from the CD.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:25   #239
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

hmm ... i saw that one there also, but didn't think it was what i wanted ...

i'll try it.

thanks.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:30   #240
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

the filename is mytmwu1.ace - is that it?