View Poll Results: How should the constitution be amended ?
Group A : A majority vote (51%) is enough to amend the constitution. Anyone may post a poll for amendment 15 25.42%
Group A : A 2/3 vote (66%) is enough to amend the constitution. Anyone may post a poll for amendment 19 32.20%
Group B : Only a minister or a president can post a poll for amendment. Once this is done, A majority vote by the people (51%) is enough for it to pass 5 8.47%
Group B : Only a minister or a president can post a poll for amendment. Once this is done, a 2/3 vote (66%) is enough for it to pass 16 27.12%
Other 3 5.08%
Abstain 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14, 2002, 23:08   #1
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How should the constitution be amended ?
This poll will be closed Saturnday , June 22, about 03:00 GMT.

As you know it, rules are currently being decided by the polls. Timeline is currently compiling these rules in a "constitution", according to the wish of the many voters who want a limited set of rules. The current "constitution" can be found here.

However, one question has not been adressed until now : how should rules be changed ?
This concern is perfectly natural : as the game and the mentality of citizens will evolve, our needs will not be the same.

According to our democratic principles, the question of the constitution's revision should be answered by the people.

Here are the options :
- Group A : A majority vote (51%) is enough to amend the constitution. Anyone may post a poll for amendment
- Group A : A 2/3 vote (66%) is enough to amend the constitution. Anyone may post a poll for amendment

- Group B : Only a minister or a president can post a poll for amendment. Once this is done, A majority vote by the people (51%) is enough for it to pass.
- Group B : Only a minister or a president can post a poll for amendment. Once this is done, a 2/3 vote (66%) is enough for it to pass.

-other
- Abstain.

As the polling commission advised, this poll is split into 2 parts :
1. Knowing if everybody can suggest an amendment, or only restricted political personnel.
2. Knowing what majority should be used to amend the constitution.
Sidenote : If you feel that constitution is the only matter of the government, please choose the "other" option, and mention in your post that people shouldn't voice over the constit.

The "group" wich will earn most votes will decide who has the initiative for amendments.
Then, the option within this winning group will decide what majority will be needed for a constitution change.

Example : if the 4th option (group B) has most votes, but Group A has more votes than group B overall, then anyone will be able to suggest an amendment. Within this group A, if the 1st option leads, then an amendment will be adopted by 51% of people.

Edit : wrote the time limit at the beginning of the poll.

Last edited by Spiffor; June 15, 2002 at 13:01.
Old June 14, 2002, 23:14   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
as always, I vote other... but only cuz..

I think any minister, or the President, should be able to put it up for ammendment

however, if it was not the President who put it up.. and the vote only turns out to be like 55% in favor.. i think its in the presidents power to veto.. put it up for a second vote, where it MUST be 66% or higher to pass.
Old June 14, 2002, 23:29   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:36
I really think such things should be up to the Ministers to submit, being that they're the most well-informed bunch of people here in this community, which means they'll know the most about what's going on, and what ought to be changed. A regular citizen can bring up the option, but it should be a Minister's job to actually make it into a real amendment. Besides, our Constitution is going to be only a list of a few rules, there won't be that much to change. Oh yeah, I also say 2/3 because that keeps too many things from being changed/added without a super-majority.
Old June 14, 2002, 23:29   #4
Spiffor

I support the first choice : simple majority, and anyone can propose an amendment.
Reasons for this are simple :

- "Anyone can propose an amendment" is the most democratic way. Our glorious democracy shouldn't concentrate all the power in the hands of a few politicians.
- there are not mllions of citizens of Apolytonia ; there re not much more than 100. As we're not too many, I think things are manageable, even when anyone has rights.
- I favor the simple majority, because current rules were decided by simple majority. If the first rules were decided this way, I don't see why changing them would need a 2/3 majority.

Overall, I strive for the most democratic constitution possible. That's why I voted #1.
Old June 14, 2002, 23:32   #5
Spiffor

Btw, someone voted "other" without explaining his views... What should we do with this ?
Old June 14, 2002, 23:33   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Toss it. I don't feel that if people care to explain why they say 'other' it shouldn't really be counted. After all, 'other' and nothing more doesn't help us, now does it?
Old June 15, 2002, 06:06   #7
Moral Hazard
King

Are we a republic or a democracy. Pretty soon everythings going to be two/thirds
Old June 15, 2002, 09:47   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:36
Simple majority of the people! The constitution should be as weak and flexible as is possible!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 15, 2002, 11:04   #9
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i have said it before and ill say it again: we are a democracy. ministers have enough power already.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:04   #10
jdd2007
NationStates
King

o, i voted the first option
Old June 15, 2002, 11:23   #11
Captain
King

Hey, one important thing you left out!

Is it 51% and 2/3 of all voters? (currently 105)

Or is it 51% and 2/3 of the poll results? (anything <105)

that makes a big difference!

If it's the latter, will we have quorum requirement? say no less than 50 voters?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 15, 2002, 11:43   #12
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I support the first choice : simple majority, and anyone can propose an amendment.
Reasons for this are simple :

- "Anyone can propose an amendment" is the most democratic way. Our glorious democracy shouldn't concentrate all the power in the hands of a few politicians.
- there are not mllions of citizens of Apolytonia ; there re not much more than 100. As we're not too many, I think things are manageable, even when anyone has rights.
- I favor the simple majority, because current rules were decided by simple majority. If the first rules were decided this way, I don't see why changing them would need a 2/3 majority.

Overall, I strive for the most democratic constitution possible. That's why I voted #1.
I see many people have done that. It's in the lead!
And I agree, this could maybe be victory for the opposition?
So we could make parties?

The choice of the most used western constitutonal legislature:
"Group B : Only a minister or a president can post a poll for amendment. Once this is done, a 2/3 vote (66%) is enough for it to pass. "

This would secure the power to the political elite, and is the most realistic in todays "democracies"...
Old June 15, 2002, 12:42   #13
Spiffor

Captain : sorry, I didn't think precising this. I thought about 51% or 2/3 of voters, and not of citizens... The general quorum for polling validity is currently discussed, in the polling commission thread I think. But no decision has been met yet.
I guess we'll have to decide the quorum in yet another poll ; oh well...
I think that we have time for the elaboration of our constitution... (In fact, the more I think of it, the more I could have waited before posting this poll). So I think we can wait before making a poll about the right quorum

Ninot :
If GroupA and GroupB are tied at the end of the poll, your "other" voice will be important. Would you categorize your position in Group A, Group B, or none of them ?

Last edited by Spiffor; June 15, 2002 at 13:06.
Old June 15, 2002, 14:57   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

what we should have is this , anyone can call for an amendment , but it must pass a 66% vote , the the president say's yes or no , however , the senate could over-rule the president , .....

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 20:30   #15
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 18:36
we need a stable, but simple, documentment, code of laws, constitution, or whatever name it is today. Therfore a large majority of 2/3 is best. However, such a fundamental change in the this game cannot be formally proposed at the will of a common citizen. There is too much potential for abuse, chaos, and stupidity.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:49   #16
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It is very clear: 80.83% of the voters are on the far ends of the specturm. One supports power for the people and a more flexible constitution, and one supports a system in which the rulers control the rules and it is very hard to change them if the need should come up.

You choose which one you think will lead to a better Apolytonia.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 15, 2002, 21:01   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Group A : A majority vote (51%) is enough to amend the constitution. Anyone may post a poll for amendment

A wise democracy protects itself from the whims of tyrants.
Old June 17, 2002, 14:22   #18
Timeline
King

bump
Old June 17, 2002, 14:47   #19
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

If a rule has already been voted on and put in place, obviously we all had thought about when we voted the first time...than a simple majority should not be enough to over turn it. Just like impeachment should be, we voted the guy in, we should just not be able to pull the plu without a clear majority. It should be 2/3's or more, than only those rules that clearly are a problem once in practice will be changed, and not every rule every time the mood strikes. This also makes the weight of any rule in the constitution heavy.
Old June 17, 2002, 17:01   #20
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Group A : A majority vote (51%) is enough to amend the constitution. Anyone may post a poll for amendment

A wise democracy protects itself from the whims of tyrants.
hi ,

two thirds or four fifths should be more democratic , ....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 17:04   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

The AAACC3's position is that there is not and never should be a constitution in the first place. Case closed.
Old June 17, 2002, 17:13   #22
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
The AAACC3's position is that there is not and never should be a constitution in the first place. Case closed.
hi ,

many people feel otherwise , ....

why would you say that , .....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 17:17   #23
civman2000
Emperor

skywalker: i disagree. Even though we dont like it, we cant stop there from being a constitution. AS leader of the AAACC3, i say we support 51%, people can post polls

Old June 17, 2002, 17:53   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Ok, I've changed my opinion to follow that of civman.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:40   #25
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I really think such things should be up to the Ministers to submit, being that they're the most well-informed bunch of people here in this community, which means they'll know the most about what's going on, and what ought to be changed. A regular citizen can bring up the option, but it should be a Minister's job to actually make it into a real amendment. Besides, our Constitution is going to be only a list of a few rules, there won't be that much to change. Oh yeah, I also say 2/3 because that keeps too many things from being changed/added without a super-majority.
As a government that supposes to derrive from the people, constitutional changes should also be confirmed by the people. Otherwise you guys could ammend yourselves into power forever.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 17, 2002, 20:43   #26
Jon Shafer

I didn't say that only ministers should be allowed to vote on an amendment, just submit an amendment. That's not too hard to do.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:01   #27
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:36
Quote:
I didn't say that only ministers should be allowed to vote on an amendment, just submit an amendment. That's not too hard to do.

Well, in that opinion it should be tough for them to do such radical changes!
Ok, needs extensive public support... 66%, I say.
NB: Is the current const. fully legitimate?
Old June 17, 2002, 21:03   #28
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes Trip, we are all becoming aware that you favour all real power being held by ministers. Left to the people will be to vote like sheep.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:08   #29
Jon Shafer

And I know that you hate me and my policies NYE, just be sure not to vote for me next time.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:12   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
And I know that you hate me and my policies NYE, just be sure not to vote for me next time.
hi ,

mr. president , that could backfire in you re-election , ....

have a nice day