Old June 15, 2002, 00:56   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Forbidden Palace
The whole corruption shiznit create a new dilema. When playing a large 16 civ map, what is your preferred location for the forbidden palace?

Build it on the same continent to maximize income from many of the larger established cities, or hold off and build it in a new continent to reduce corruption in foreign lands.
Old June 15, 2002, 01:12   #2
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 21:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Build it near larger, established cities. You cant move your foreign palace, but you can move your palace. I keep my foreign palace centralized within the older productive cities and the palace mobile, roughly centralized within the whole empire or in a place that makes sense bas.ed on the location of the foreign palace.

The key is: You can move your palace, not your foreign palace, build accordingly.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 15, 2002, 01:13   #3
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 20:36
I always build it as soon as possible. If you need to move production to another continent later on, use a Leader to move the Palace. Every turn that you don't have the FP and could have... is a turn at half power (baring ICS, then it's 2/3rds).
Old June 15, 2002, 09:39   #4
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:36
I often build the FP in a core city and then use the palace jump trick to jump the palace to a better location (relying on leaders is too risky). Usually I pick a location so that my productive cities form a figure '8' shape with a slight seperation between the circles of the 8, to maximise production. Using the jump trick I regularly get the FP well before the AD years, although if I get an early leader I will rush it ASAP.
Old June 15, 2002, 10:01   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:36
Since I play with lowered corruption, it's also lowered importance to me, but I still will often build it.
Old June 15, 2002, 18:29   #6
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

I would often build it in a larger invaded city. (after the war) Since the total invasion, or submission, of an entire civ would give you a lot of cities of great potential.
You could build it in your former enemy's capital?
Old June 15, 2002, 20:20   #7
dawidge
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
I would often build it in a larger invaded city. (after the war) Since the total invasion, or submission, of an entire civ would give you a lot of cities of great potential.
You could build it in your former enemy's capital?
Not to mention that the GL you just created is standing right there and doesn't have a long walk back to your territory.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:30   #8
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Yep, but if I were so lucky to have achived a great leader there...
He would have gotten into rushing the largest wonder project.
(and not a smaller forb.palace)
Old June 16, 2002, 22:48   #9
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If I build the FP without a leader, I have three somewhat conflicting needs that I try to balance. (1) I want the FP to extend my area of low-corruption operation immediately. (2) I want the FP in a place where if I move my palace later, it (coupled with wherever I think I'll move my palace to) will keep my original core from getting too ridiculously corrupt. (3) The FP needs to be close enough to my palace that with a (possibly rush-built) courthouse, it doesn't take forever to build.

Building the Forbidden Palace with a leader eliminates the restriction on how far from the original palace the FP can be built. But the ultimate goals of having the original core remain reasonably productive and having the palace and FP combine to make as much area as possible productive remain.

If you're on a big continent on a big map (or even a big enough continent on a standard one), planning on eventually having your palace and FP toward (but certainly not at) opposite ends of the continent can make good sense. (That worked pretty well for me on a 16-civ huge-map game even before the last couple patches reduced corruption.) If you're on a smaller land mass, building the FP however far toward the center of your original land mass you can reasonably get it and planning to move your palace to another continent later is probably a good bet (assuming you can get a leader when you need him).

Personally, I don't care much for the "free palace jump" trick because I have too much investment tied up in my original capital. Worse, getting things to where the palace will jump the right place generally requires either dropping core cities below their optimal size or never letting them reach optimal size to begin with. That makes the "free" palace jump a bit expensive for my taste.

Nathan
Old June 19, 2002, 21:50   #10
King of Rasslin
Prince

Local Time: 02:36
Make the FP as early as possible! The economic advantage is so much better than perfect placement. I don't rush it with a leader, though. It will grow quickly if you have an early golden age, but not too early. I might switch to monarchy as soon as possible as the Iroquios, go on a huge attack with mounted warriors, and use the golden age to help make the FP. You don't want to place it perfectly in the industrial era with only 150 turns left in the game.

And I never move my palace. It is too expensive unless you must leader rush it to stop a culture war you are losing. Damn Babylonians make cities so close to mine and fill them up with defence units. I moved my palace in that game, and even gained cities! I don't do that often, though.
Old June 19, 2002, 22:09   #11
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by King of Rasslin
And I never move my palace. It is too expensive unless you must leader rush it to stop a culture war you are losing. Damn Babylonians make cities so close to mine and fill them up with defence units. I moved my palace in that game, and even gained cities! I don't do that often, though.
The first time I played the game I made the palace everywhere, then I noticed that my capital kept changing. I didn't really know why my capital switch from the center of my civ to the remotest part. I didn't fully realize what was goin on till my third game. What a waste.
have struck again
Old June 20, 2002, 08:52   #12
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:36
i usually build it in my first vanquished civs former capital