Old June 15, 2002, 10:40   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In Times of War
In Times Of War

"Verily Emperor, but we cannot hold them."

"But we must, An Emperor has never left the seat of Rome."

"It is for your own good."
Caesar stood and stared out his window for a long time, ruefully studying the Imperial Temple of Saturn, a massive structure, built but ten years ago. Now it stood half destroyed, shelled by hated Iroquois Artillery.

"This war has been nothing but evil for our nation." Caesar spat, then turned rapidly away from the window and stalked to his audience chamber.
His advisor, Pliny, followed.
Halfway to the chamber, Caesar stopped and announced-

"I have decided to..." He choked on the words, "Abandon Rome- For- For, For Veii"

"A good choice, Emperor." Pliny bowed. "In times of war we do what we must."

"But must there be times of war?" Caesar disgustedly pondered.

"We are not all Gandhi, your Highness."

"Pity that the Iroquois exterminated the Indians and executed him... all he wanted was a little peace."

"Yes, your highness..." Pliny became anxious as Caesar remained standing in the middle of a courtyard, open to aerial attacks.

"It was all so simple back in those days," Caesar sighed, reminicing

32 BC

"Ride you mangy elephants RIDE!" Alexander the Macedonian shouted to his somewhat balking elephants.
"I am the Monarch in this Monarchy, can't you Fri$$ing understand!
We must join Caesar and his Romans if we are ever to conquer these pigs of English dogs that likely make do with cows for night bedpartners! Ah move! $$$$!"

"War is not the only answer." A short, robed, dark old man kindly stated from underneath the elephants.

"A lot of good you do OUR alliance!" Alexander shouted angrily to the man.

"Cease!" Shouted the third man, Julius Caesar. "Gandhi is bringing healing to our party, automatically healing our units over turn-lenghts, remember that- the Indians are not men of war."

"Bah!" Alexander humphed and wacked his elephant with a large stick.

Gandhi hobbled over and whispered in the elephant's ear. The elephant began to move.

"Thank you Mahatmat." Caesar nodded to Gandhi, who gave a quick nod back in acknowledgement.

The Present

"Six decades later the English were all gone, and the Greeks, led by Alexander, after they betrayed our Romans, were gone."
Caesar gave a rueful sigh.
"It is sad what ambition can do to men."
"You were always a man of peace." Pliny told Caesar
"As much as I could be expected to be, but not as peaceful as Gandhi..."

107 AD

"Sir, Gandhi has been stabbed!" The messenger entered Caesar's antechamber out of breath.

"What!" Caesar rose, shocked as if he himself had been stabbed."

"It was one of his subjects that did it- Brutos Hajarraj! Attempting to seize power and declare war on the Chinese who have been slighting India."

"Is Gandhi all right?"

"For the time yes, but Brutos is leading an insurrection."

"He must be stopped and beheaded!"

"No sir!" The messenger was horrified. "Gandhi wished it not- he merely exiled the man."

"What?" Caesar was puzzled

"Gandhi forgave him."

"How can that be?" Caesar retreated into his Imperial chair, thinking. "I must go to see him at once!"

"Very well, he is in New Delhi."

Caesar pondered new thoughts of peace as he readied his armor.

---This is Possibly worth a continuation, I don't know... we shall see
--The point of it is to show how peacefulness is an ideal, but one hard to reach in a cruel world with those such as the Iroquois and others

Last edited by DarkCloud; June 21, 2002 at 11:34.
Old June 15, 2002, 19:41   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
pretty good...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 17, 2002, 08:19   #3
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 11:37
Why doesn't Caesar just stick it to them iroquois? He can have all the peace he wants after the work is finished.
Old June 21, 2002, 10:58   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:37
Quote:
pretty good...
Thank you I hope I didn't wrap it up too quickly, however

Quote:
Why doesn't Caesar just stick it to them iroquois? He can have all the peace he wants after the work is finished.
Because he can't. Rome is no longer strong. He changed his ways after 107 AD or so... The Iroquois have been conquering since then.

Well, Hopefully, this is the rest of the story
please enjoy.
-

Present

"I saved Gandhi from the insurrection, yes, but Brutos' men, they realized just how wrong Brutos was and would have laid down their arms eventually...
It seemed that Gandhi's willingness to sacrafice himself for peace would have lead, eventually to Brutos' demise, it seems that Brutos' people, despite their faults, were inevitably good."

"They were slaves to emotion." Pliny spat. "The amazing thing was that India was not destroyed by its peaceful ways... Amazing"

"Yes, amazing... Can we ever have true peace?" Caesar ruefully considered.

1554 AD
"Demilitarization Enacted" were the words of the bulletin... Over 50% of the troops had been disbanded.

Some protested, citing the Iroquois threat, but Caesar ignored them...

Ignored them until, of course, India had been destroyed, and with it, Gandhi... Then Caesar began remobilization- but... as he now saw, it was too late- and he wished to be a man of peace... His heart, and his people's hearts were not in the struggle...

Present

"You must really hurry!" Pliny tugged at Caesar's robes.

"No!" said Caesar, "I realize now what I must do!"

"No!" Pliny's face was aghast, "You can not- this is not a game!"

"I must." Caesar starred Pliny in the eye, then strode out of the Imperial Palace.

Epilogue

Caesar's sacrafice paved the way for Rome's peaceful Space Race victory, as, even though he died after he called off his forces and went to the Iroquois, he inspired the Iroquois citizens, who, hating war after two thousand, three hundred years continuous,
and respecting bravery, and, controlling the entire world already, in time honored Caesar's bravery.

There were myriad peace marches, riots and strikes... And they were enough, so that, in time, Rome was allowed to rise again, all fourteen cities...
And while the Iroquois dealt with their Communist government, the New Roman Democracy rose and produced- enough to outproduce the Iroquois 34 cities and reach space first... And, the land was peace.
Old June 21, 2002, 12:36   #5
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
well written