Old June 15, 2002, 13:43   #1
Lucius
Settler

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Leonardo Not Working
Okay, I'm desiging a scenario for two players in which the defending player has a few turns to place units and move them around before the attacker can get there. Two units - Howitzer and Command Post - are supposed to be immobile, but I want the defender to choose where to place them. so -

He starts with mobile versions of these units that become obsolete and are replaced by immobile versions. He begins with the Leonardo wonder. The Darwin wonder is in production and nearly complete. He is researching Howitzers. After Howitzers the next tech, the only one he can get after Howitzers, is the one for Command Posts, which then leads directly to Future Tech.

The idea is, the wonder is complete, BOOM he gets Howitzer tech, the Howitzers are upgraded to the immobile version, then he gets Command tech, the Command Post is upgraded to immobile version, problem solved.

Except it doesn't work. Leonardo upgrades the Howitzers, but NOT the Command post. I've checked, and YES the proto version is made obsolete by the tech that produces the finished version and yes that is the very tech the MUST be chosen after Howitzers. I get teh tech, but no upgrade.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

And I was thinking I would just make a nice, simple, basic scenario where nothing could go wrong...

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises
Old June 15, 2002, 13:58   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Why use two different techs to make them immobile?

I imagine the problem may be that Leonardo's only upgrades once per turn. So the upgrade for the Command Post would only go though at the next tech discovery.
Old June 15, 2002, 16:48   #3
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are the two command posts identical in everything including role?
Old June 15, 2002, 18:07   #4
Lucius
Settler

No, I think they have different roles and of course different moves. The "advanced" one is immobile that's the point. I'll make the roles the same and see if that works, thanks.

LA
&p
Old June 16, 2002, 09:23   #5
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Lucius, a nice idea. A shame that (unless You use multiple rules) it can be used just once. Really nice thing.
Unfortunatelly, I can't help You. At least not now

Good luck.
Old June 17, 2002, 00:08   #6
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
For Leo's Workshop to operate correctly, the roles of the old and new unit MUST be the same. In Red October, there are static German and Austro-Hungarian infantry and cavalry units plus artillery (5 types in all) which are converted into mobile units on the fourth turn (Central Powers offensive). I wanted to give only one tech to convert all types simultaneously, so each unit needed it's own role. I used roles 0-4, with each equivalent static and mobile unit having the same role number, ie. German static and mobile cavalry were both role #0, German static and mobile infantry were both role #1 and so on. Leo's kept them straight, despite the different movement and combat factors.
Old June 17, 2002, 02:39   #7
Lucius
Settler

Thank you Tecumsuh - I was using two seperate techs and now you tell me that isn't necessary. By making the roles identical I did get Leo to convert the Proto - Command Post into a Command Post, but I'm still working on a few other bugs.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises