DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apolyton Times - 1st Issue
  the Apolyton Times  

1st Edition | Saturday June 15th 2002 | Civlization III Democracy Newspaper

Theisms to go around!
Violence erupts as citizens argue about which belief system is true.
Imperial Expansion Lobby?
A majority vote decides to put Eli, Punkbass and Timeline in a single board, to decide about the future of infrastructure development and imperialist expansion.

Citizens of the yet to be named state, argue vigorously about the real and true religious belief system. A majority, it appears, believes in only one true god. "Our god is the greatest" said one protestor while smashing what he called "idol altars"."That's right" added a man helping him, "Allah is the only true God". "What?" said the first, "Everybody knows that Jehovah is the real god". Ignoring their comrades calls to "postpone the discussion to later times", the two protester proceeded to punch each other in the face.

In another occasion, citizens have been seen erecting new altars on each corner. "Every corner" explains chief Polytheist priest Man E. Gods, "has its own god. For instance, here the goddess Thamar rules the streets, so everyone must pray to it and give it apples, which she adores".

Below: Thamar's Temple

A neighbor passing by disagreed. "If we went by his system of belief, gods would be like street gangs. On every street corner you have to pray to a different god, wear its colors, put its headband and pay it passing fees. It's ridiculous. There are only so many gods, which are involved in only the most serious of manners. Typical lefties - bloating the pantheon. A small number of gods is best for all ".

"This is stupid" says director of Atheists in Apolyton. "They'd like you to believe there's a god of this and a god of that. We don't need them! We already have a democratic government. Besides there is no proof that god exists" concluded the atheist just before being struck by lightning. "It's so stupid to put your faith in the hands of another, so called 'superior' being" said another atheist. "That is why we gather every 7th day in public centers and rub the heads of bald men for good luck".

Later in the evening, it appears that the God-fearing zealo… excuse me – people, have all united in a big clan and went to bust some heretic heads. On this stage, our reporter preferred to leave the scene.

In a crushing victory (72%) it was decided that Eli, Punkbass and Timeline will be put together in a board of "Territorial Development and Expansion" to "serve as a center of communication between these interlinked positions" according to idea initiator Timeline, Minister of Imperial Expansion. "Members can debate, hammer out details, and present a united front to the president on our course of action" he added.

Fears in the government arise that the united front will become a serious right-wing expansionist lobby. Those 3 ministers and the Defense minister and the Generals, will, according to some, push the executive authority to pursue their own private interests and ideology.

Punkbass, as the city planner, is supposed to be the left wing, perfectionist leader. However, it appears that he too shares the same imperialist visions as the rest. "I strongly believe that an early war is an important for a beginning nation's development" he said in a recent election campaign. "I will emphasize both offensive and defensive units early on, in addition to building settlers at every opportunity" he continued.

"I really don't >hick< know what to think" told us a drunken communist hippie protestor. "I mean, sure, you can laugh all you want about us being high all day long" at which point he proceeded to ride a purple two headed lamma for a while. Then he returned.

"But it doesn't mean we don't >hick< notice what happens around us. This right wing imperialist government will only proceed to oppress other nations and civilizations. It will overrun other cultures, which have the same >hick< legitimacy to exist as we do. I don't even get why do we form a state? Why can't we all just get along as a single human >hick< race?"

"Nonsense" said a military official by the name of P. Anzer. "There are evil people out there, and they don't care much about us. We have to protect ourselves by assuring enough territory and arms for the survival of our people. And you all know that the best defense is a good pre-emptive offense. Besides, I'm sure that other nations will be in awe of our culture and I more than welcome them to join. In fact, I think we should help them join in advance. We need to make them understand that they want to join."

At this point the official left us and began chasing a leftwing protestor who threw rocks at him. The leftwing protestor claimed that the rocks were merely a weapon of popular dissent, and therefore were fully legitimate. Yet when an approaching army vehicle began hurling rocks at the protestors, some began crying about "excessive use of power" and "illegal use of lethal weapons". "Those are boulders!" yelled a protestor fleeing for his life.

Landmass Ahead
Projected Landmass: How the hell are we supposed to know?

Bombs, Away!
Lethal Bombardment fans will just have to wait for the next lifetime.

My name is
Citizens vote to decide the forming country's name

It appears that the majority vote for the landmass of the planet we are settling is better left undecided.

"There are these people, who go around telling others that we are on a continent, and that the planet is covered mostly by water" told us one person. "But I think they are false prophets. I mean – how the hell do they know that? It's impossible to foretell".

His friend explained "We haven't even settled on the damn planet surface yet. Not one city. Not a village. Zilch. Nada! And these people are going around spreading rumors about the whole damn planet?".

"Next thing we know they'll say it's not flat!!" added the first person.

Below: Scientists' projections about immediatelly known terrain

In another poll, most voters agreed that lethal bombs should never be developed. Not by this civilization and not by others.

"It's enough that we have all sorts of pointy things that can pierce our bodies that we can poke, hurl or project at each other using various means" said one voter. "We do not need to add huge tons of mystical magical exploding stuff to it too. I mean, it's ok if it hurt or something. We can't ignore that magic can hurt. But killing using explosive magic? Killing from afar? That's not fair, not to mention it's cowardice."

Most people seemed to agree, but several people still hold the view that anything is legal in war. "You know, someday we'll develop an explosion strong enough to wipe off cities" told us one Nostraamsesdamus. "And people will be able to attack from the skies and the sies. If that is legal, why not large exploding things? What's the deal with that?"

Passers by preferred to ignore his words calling him "crazy". "We'll eventually leave this earth! You'll see" began Nostraamsesdamus yelling at people, chasing them off.

Above: Nostraamsesdamus

Supporters of lethal bombs told us that if they lose, they will consider using their suggested bombs to terrorise the community into submission. "We'll bomb them to death!" Screamed one lethal bombardment enthusiast. "You mean to almost zero health" his friend corrected him.

In an election process going on for a while now, citizens vote to decide on how to name the new forming country. Many would like the country to reflect the political and ideological background of the people, while others just think it should sound 'cool'.

A 'Star Trek' fan told us: "Now take 'The dominion'. Now that's a cool name, waaay cooler than everything else. I mean 'The People's Republic of Apolyton' - that's ridiculous. It suggests we plan to reproduce in an astounding race and built great walls of sorts. It also requires us to eat rice, which isn't that great for the digestion, if you know what I mean".

Another citizen said "Well that's just dumb. I don't want to have some sort of geeky ideological name. We are the people of Apolyton. Therefore - Apolytonia. It's that simple. There are so many stupid names. Apolytonica? What are we, a metal group?

Aplytonia does seem to be winning, in both polls. Speaking of which, the people are suspicious of the legality of this double polling, yet hope for the best name to win.

Yiddish Works
Eli wins Ministry of Public Works
Banana Tears
Banana cries about discrimination following major humiliation in polls
Civman = 100%
Civman2000 Elected Chief Statistician

In a close competition with a yellow prolonged crooked fruit, Eli has proved victorious. Eli, possibly the apparent inventor of democracy games (see thread The Perfect Civ Game) will now be assigned the job of deciding on moving workers and placing land improvements.

Imaginary sources tell that Eli is planning to create a Worker's Union, which will lobby the government for funds and if refused, massive strikes and pillaging of national infrastructure is expected.

Eli, an Israeli Jew, is said by non-existing sources to include temples and synagogues in the category of public infrastructure buildings.

Eli did not comment on the accusations since we haven't bothered to contact him.

Following it's defeat in every single poll, Banana today organized a press conference in which it accused the citizens of discrimination on the basis of race, type, shape and color.

"You did not elect me, because I am a plant" accused Banana the gathered crowd. "You thought to yourself 'Hey, what is that curved creature going to do? We can't trust him! He's not even human!'" Banana added.

"On several of my campaign posters people sprayed hate messages such as 'He is yellow' and 'Go back to the tropics where you came from'". Banana broke down in tears "You have no idea what's it like to be called 'Fruit!' when walking down the street".

"You only accepted my applications to make fun of me and give me false hope!" He continued. "You thought that if you include me, you could say you're a democratic society. But it's not! It's an apartheid! Fruits are grown in isolated farms by special 'farmers'. Do you have any idea what does it do to a man?"

At which point the crowds got so bored that they began chasing the poor fruit, hoping to put him in a blender with some milk which would result in a cool refreshing shake. May he rest in peace.

The most prominent candidate for his replacement appears to be Strawberry, but rumors originating in the Kiwi election staff try to stress that "Strawberry is excellent in cream cakes".

In a unanimous and self-obvious decision, Civman2000 was elected national mathematician for the statistics office, following the discovery he knows math .

"He invented 4 different ways to decide who the winner of a multi-poll should be" said one observer. "Not only that, but the rest of the people seem lost when encountered with methods such as 'mean' and 'median'".

"It's very simple" explained Civman2000 when asked to explain his methods of calculation to the masses. "You take all the results you get and then…" at which point our reporter lost track and dozed off for a good couple of hours.

It has come to our knowledge that several political candidates have already contacted Civman2000 in search of ways to maximize the probability of them winning the election polls.

All rights reserved to Sirotnikov Publishing Ltd. 2002 ©  

Last edited by Sirotnikov; June 16, 2002 at 14:43.
Old June 15, 2002, 17:33   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:38
Re: Apolyton Times - 1st Issue
I can bairly read it....
Old June 15, 2002, 17:36   #3
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:38
You have to highlight all the text... then you read. A little flaw, but Nice!
Old June 15, 2002, 17:38   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:38
Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
You have to highlight all the text... then you read. A little flaw, but Nice!
Yeah, it is nice. This will be a nice addition to the 'newspapers' i can read, although I still prefer the Apolytonian.
Old June 15, 2002, 17:41   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It appears perfectly fine for me.
Old June 15, 2002, 17:45   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

excellent job , keep it up , ....

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 17:50   #7
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:38
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
It appears perfectly fine for me.
Yes, it's was that damn MS browser... (let's sue them once again!)
Now I started Opera and it was all clear and fine.
I really enjoyed reading this paper!
Old June 15, 2002, 17:53   #8
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

several people are now rolling on the floor , when they discovered all the news , ....
since i put a somewhat strange new meaning in their live , they ask if its possible to post at least every other day , ....

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 18:04   #9
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 22:38
Good stuff! A regular broadsheet to my tabloid. I will continue to publish at least for a while. Unless Siro would be interested in a merger, you have to admit that I've got the better name This does put a damper on my power, I was hoping I could bribe Ministers to my point of view with promises of good press

Thanks for the comments Tassador
Old June 15, 2002, 18:33   #10
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Why not have several competing newspapers??

You know, making this took me several hours!!

I'm not sure I can do this too often. Perhaps twice a week.

So we'll have two (even three) newspapers, filling in for each other.
Old June 15, 2002, 18:34   #11
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Btw, Tassadar, could you post a print screen of how you see the paper?

I have internet explorer and it looks perfect for me.
Old June 15, 2002, 18:36   #12
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Btw, anyone who wants to post articles, just PM them to me, or E-mail them to me.

It's hard writing good content.

Btw, I would like an appriciation of the content and jokes.
Old June 15, 2002, 18:41   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
Btw, anyone who wants to post articles, just PM them to me, or E-mail them to me.

It's hard writing good content.

Btw, I would like an appriciation of the content and jokes.
hi ,

the last lines of the "lobby" , yeah , that really is nice , ....

as for the rest , well the jokes you put in there , man some people where really having a good time , ....

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 18:48   #14
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Panag, I'm not sure you are up to date with the Civ III democracy game, as I don't recall seeing you here.

The jokes are all based on the current polls.
Old June 15, 2002, 18:55   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Panag, I'm not sure you are up to date with the Civ III democracy game, as I don't recall seeing you here.

hi ,

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 18:57   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

citizen no 20 , ....

check out some threads , and see the latest news , ...

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 19:01   #17
Moral Hazard
King

Competing papers is great. Considering our papers are quite different. Just thought I'd say that my paper only takes about 20 minutes (that's a lie 20 minutes to write sure, but then there's searching for quotes etc.) to write, and then another hour to edit for grammatical errors just kidding. It takes about 10 minutes, I should probably spend longer on it though. Plus having your paper around will allow mine to become more subjective, reporting facts is a *****.

Quote:
Btw, I would like an appriciation of the content and jokes
A good way to get your paper constantly bumped No actually I really enjoyed the landmass article.

Quote:
Don't listen to him. You want your writing to look good. You want it next to mine, not Siro's.

Last edited by Moral Hazard; June 15, 2002 at 19:44.
Old June 15, 2002, 19:49   #18
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Me? Subjective?

Quote:
Don't listen to him. You want your writing to look good. You want it next to mine, not Siro's.
ROFL

Thanks
Old June 15, 2002, 19:57   #19
Moral Hazard
King

Quote:
Me? Subjective?
I meant you could handle the objective view and my paper can spew bias Biased writing is fun.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:03   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:38
why did you red the "A" and the "i" ?
Old June 15, 2002, 20:10   #21
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

! Wow!!! The article about me is great, and in many respects true, I iintend to become a mathematician someday...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 15, 2002, 20:15   #22
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

MH, can you pm sirotnikov my campaign ad to put in (I don't remember all of it).

Ask MH, I have a huge bag of bananas and will pay you any reasonable price.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 15, 2002, 20:22   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
MH, can you pm sirotnikov my campaign ad to put in (I don't remember all of it).

hi ,

well , well , offering bribe's are we , ........that is a reason for a senate , ......

asking a notorius newspaper with a good rep , shame on you , .........

impeachment , its a word with a special meaning , .....

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 20:26   #24
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
I meant you could handle the objective view and my paper can spew bias Biased writing is fun.
I don't want an objective view.

As you said - bias is fun.

Quote:
why did you red the "A" and the "i" ?
To be stylish

Quote:
Wow!!! The article about me is great, and in many respects true, I iintend to become a mathematician someday
Pheeew... thanks

I was worried you would be insulted in some way.

Quote:
LL

Speaking of inpeachment, I love peaches more than bananas
Old June 15, 2002, 20:28   #25
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Btw, does it look wierd for any of you guys?

I realised that I work with a relatively high resolution, so I tried to make sure that the columns look ok even when not as wide.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:30   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Btw, does it look wierd for any of you guys?

I realised that I work with a relatively high resolution, so I tried to make sure that the columns look ok even when not as wide.
hi ,

it looks fine , on both a 19 inch , 21 inch and even a mac 23 inch , ....

please define "high" , ......

have a nice day
Old June 15, 2002, 20:41   #27
Sirotnikov
Emperor

It took me a while to do this:

The fact that it's a first time took an extra hour and a half but:

1. Making + Uploading graphics = 15 minutes
2. Gathering materials (and reading) = 1/2 - 1 hour
3. Writing new material = 10 - 30 minutes per story ( x 8)
4. Desiging the story (in the newspaper) = 5 - 10 minutes (x 8)

So together:

15 + 60 + 8 x 20 + 8 x 6 = 4 hours 43 minutes.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:42   #28
civman2000
Emperor

the columns are a bit thin, though it's still great!

I believe you are confusing advertising and bribing...unless siro will include my ads for free, don't i have a right to pay him in Apolyton's favorite yellow fruit? Or in peaches, if he prefers them?

Old June 15, 2002, 20:43   #29
Moral Hazard
King

Ok well hopefully our biases will cancel out.

About the columns, I hate dealing with resolutions when I designed web pages; they look a little tight but I run with my browser in a window which is about 3/5 of my screen wide at 1152 * 864. So I put it to full screen when I read your paper which looked good. I don't know if going with set widths would be better than going with percentages though. Or even if apolyton would let you.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:48   #30
Moral Hazard
King

Oh and Civman the second add? I'll send it back to you because some of it seems funny for an add. The part about why you lost. If it's the first add I'll PM it to Siro.