Old June 16, 2002, 18:02   #61
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think that 10% of people being homosexual is a bit on the high end

and I would figure that overall well over 10% are or could be heterosexual (there are a large number of characters whose sexuality does not play a part in the show, som eof them may be gay)

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:03   #62
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Monk
but over 10% of shows have some homosexual characters

Probably correct, but how often do you see gays on TV kissing each other or making sexual references of some sort? Granted, I don't know about that many shows, so maybe you can enlighten me.
I actually don't watch to many either, but most that I do have at least one homosexual character.

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:05   #63
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Was that a "yes" or "no" to the initial question of mine that you quoted?
Old June 16, 2002, 18:09   #64
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 23:39
I think if this place doesn't get women fast everybody is going to become gay... just kidding yah.... Redjon don't get your hopes up!

Anyways, yes I notice many topics have turned into something about gays.... and have to agree with MrFun, gays and bisexuals are too much ignored in society. I think 90% of shows should be for straights, and 10% of shows should for gays. As according to some liberal estimates 10% of the population is gay, I hear sometimes 5% or 3%. I dunno... but it should be proportional with the number of the population demographic. For example, gay television shows should become too prominent on TV and should remain proportional with the viewing wants of the audience. The same goes for straight television shows.

I usually think that anywhere from 3-5% of the population in most countries is GLBT (Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered)...

Some people here are amazed on how accepting I am now unlike some several months ago where I was a bigotted little brat. Boy have I changed! I said hey it is just love... so what if two males love each other? What difference should it make... sometimes I think I couldn't of made this change without the help of some people here. I certainly dislike hating other people just because of who they are.

And quite personally, I find the gay and bi posters here really friendly... redjon, asher, MrFun, Boris... they are cool people from what they type.

Well enough of my blabbering for one day....
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:13   #65
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 02:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo

And quite personally, I find the gay and bi posters here really friendly... redjon, asher, MrFun, Boris... they are cool people from what they type.

Well enough of my blabbering for one day....
Aww, I love you too

I think it must be more than 3-5%. On gaydar there are around 130 people from my town alone (and that doesn't include those from my town who put their location down as 'near Brighton'). And these are just gay people who have found out about the site.

I think for GLBT the figure must be at least 10%.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:16   #66
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon

Aww, I love you too
*Smiles back, waving a kiss*

Quote:
I think it must be more than 3-5%.
Well I dunno...

Quote:
On gaydar there are around 130 people from my town alone (and that doesn't include those from my town who put their location down as 'near Brighton'). And these are just gay people who have found out about the site.
Maybe it is just where I live. In the 90s, the Peronist party illegalized homosexuality basically... they don't allow same sex couples to kiss in public or they could be arrested by police and questioned for hours. Talk about stupid and bigotted.

Quote:
Maybe... but I still remain uncertain...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:19   #67
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:

Aww, I love you too

I think it must be more than 3-5%. On gaydar there are around 130 people from my town alone (and that doesn't include those from my town who put their location down as 'near Brighton'). And these are just gay people who have found out about the site.

there are lots of factors

in my home town GBL is more arround 30% (for my age group to age 11 or so, once you include those older than I the percentage falls like a rock)

however, I do not think some of those are permanently in that state

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:19   #68
red_jon
NationStates
King

It's not always clear. Recently my best girl-friend came out to me as bi. In total with my other bi female friends, that makes around 30-40% of my girl-friends bisexual.

It's possible the figure could be around the same with guys, but they may be too ashamed to admit it...
Old June 16, 2002, 18:21   #69
Giancarlo
King

I think the GBLT population in Buenos Aires is less than 3%... most of them had to leave the country because of chronic abuse from police.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:23   #70
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
It's not always clear. Recently my best girl-friend came out to me as bi. In total with my other bi female friends, that makes around 30-40% of my girl-friends bisexual.

It's possible the figure could be around the same with guys, but they may be too ashamed to admit it...
actually most that number I stated was bi

it is popular to be so among girls in some circles

(I know circles where it is popular among guys also)

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:25   #71
red_jon
NationStates
King

I think many guys would be open to other sexualities, but learn to repress it. Lord knows I've done enough stuff with straight guys.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:27   #72
Giancarlo
King

OMG I didn't realize it was this bad here...

Quote:
Police violence against and detention of gay and lesbians in Argentina continued in 1998, and Human Rights Watch representatives met with Argentinian government officials in October to discuss such abuses. According to a Human Rights Watch report, released in Buenos Aires in October, homosexuals were subjected to frequent arbitrary detentions, followed by police abuses that included extortion, verbal and physical violence, torture, inhuman and degrading detention conditions, robbery, compulsory HIV testing, sexual harassment and rape, false criminal accusations and death threats. Police in Argentina conducted razzias (raids) against members of homosexual communities, raiding bars, discos, and other meetings places and often detaining large groups at a time. Individuals were searched and detained for no apparent reason, according to the discretion of the police conducting the raid. Some transgender women in Mendoza, Argentina, were arrested and assaulted by police in 1998 and kept in basement cells with inadequate ventilation where they were sexually assaulted and denied access to medical treatment.
http://www.hrw.org/worldreport99/special/gay.html
Old June 16, 2002, 18:28   #73
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

personally I think (on average) currently (disregarding other factors) that arround <5% are really gay, the others are experimenting (some never stop)

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:29   #74
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
I think many guys would be open to other sexualities, but learn to repress it. Lord knows I've done enough stuff with straight guys.
I know that those straights who you did stuff with fell into my number of 30%

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:50   #75
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
eeeeh... Miller... my question?
Old June 16, 2002, 18:52   #76
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

sorry

fairly often (but my sample size is pretty small)

Jon Miller
Old June 16, 2002, 18:53   #77
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 21:39
On the request of the starter of this thread...

Case Closed!