Old June 16, 2002, 04:52   #1
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ministry of Public Works - Term 1
The Ministry of Public Works

Term 1

Minister - Eli

Old June 16, 2002, 08:45   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

How will the MOP work :

All MOP actions will come in two categories :

Immediate range - Actions that will be done in the next 1-3 turns, followed by detailed explanations. The "detailness" of the explanations will decrease with time.
The immediate range actions are directed mainly towards the President(or the VP) and these are the actions that will be done in the next turnchat.
Examples -
Early game - Build a mine on the hill north east of the our capitol(and only) city.
Late game - Remove 5 workers from the railroading project in the Kabukian peninsula and send them to clear pollution in south west Mosheland.

Long range - MOP plans that will be done in the far future. Most of them will be big projects like long border fortifications, building of long roads or development of large areas, though in the early game they will be more specific.
The long range plans will be posted here and they will be revised or canceled after a public inspection.
Any citizen on the Democracy has the right to offer new plans, or to suggest changes to existing ones. The final decision is, of course, in the hands of the Minister.
These plans do not affect the President/Vice President(whoever plays the game) moves and decisions.
The PW Minister is responsible for making sure the works start at the planned time by slowly dispatching workers to the area.
Note that deadlines are not obligatory and can be changed in case of an unexpected event like war, or lack of workers due to some reasons.
Examples -
1) Build a fortifications lines on the border with the French. Estimated start time - 10 turns.
2) Re-Develop the 5 cities in the newly conquered Abcd Plains. The AI had put too much emphasize on food, while we prefer more productive cities. Estimated start time - 30 turns(we need to railroad our entire continent first).
3) (in the early game period) Build a road in the direction of the grassland area in the north, to shorten the time it takes for settlers to get there. Estimated start time - 7 turns(our only worker is busy with building a road to city #2).

Of course that suggestions to improve the MOP working method are welcome.

Last edited by Eli; June 16, 2002 at 13:02.
Old June 16, 2002, 13:09   #3
Eli
Emperor

The "how will the MOP work" post is finished and the office is ready to start functioning. All spam stops now.

I'll ask Ming to clear up this thread.

Last edited by Eli; June 16, 2002 at 14:21.
Old June 16, 2002, 14:34   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
All spam stops now.

I'll ask Ming to clear up this thread.
And I just "love" to spend my time cleaning up threads.

So a fair warning... any more "+1" type posts, and somebody is going to get a PCR!
Old June 16, 2002, 15:02   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:40
This looks like a pretty good standard for the PWM.
Old June 17, 2002, 16:03   #6
Eli
Emperor

Middle of Turnchat report - Turn 2

Immediate range - The worker will go to the adjacent Shield-Grass tile and road it.(North East)

Long range - 1) We are on a peninsula. 2) We are Despotism.
Therefore, we need no irrigation. In three turns, when the worker finishes the road we will start building a road to the north, through the jungle, to connect future cities.
Old June 17, 2002, 16:08   #7
Eli
Emperor

Screenshot :

The red parts are the roads that we will build ASAP. The blue road will be constructed a bit later when the city expands.

Edit : Note Some changes have been made during the turn chat. The NE will be mined before we start roading the Jungle.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	17574  

Last edited by Eli; June 17, 2002 at 16:34.
Old June 17, 2002, 16:19   #8
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

I like it

I find it useful to keep the forests around and we should build roads on them in the long run.

Also is it possible to turn on the 'show reseources on tiles' option. It would be helpful to see which grassland has shields, which doesnt.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 17, 2002, 17:44   #9
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

And I just "love" to spend my time cleaning up threads.

So a fair warning... any more "+1" type posts, and somebody is going to get a PCR!
And a no reelection... uh, voters seems to forget. Dammit!
Old June 18, 2002, 05:58   #10
Eli
Emperor

Situation report :

It is clear that :
Immediate range :
1) Apolyton will be producing settlers and workers that will leave the area, and that's why it will never pass size 3.
2) Our workers production is limited, because we have only one city.
3) The nearest river is 3 jungle tiles away.
4) We have fishes and whales.

Long range :
5) The center of our empire will be either on another landmass or on the other side of the jungle.
6) In any case, building a road out of the jungle or clearing it, even as an industrial civ, is a waste of time(6 turns to road a jungle, 13 to clear it).

Therefore :
Immediate range :
1) No point in working hard on Apolyton. It wont have irrigation. We should have only 2-3 worked out squares.(Note that we have two sea squares that will be used)

Long range :
2) No point in doing anything to the jungle. By the time we clear enough tiles for a normal sized city to exist, we will have galleys and 5 cities in some other place.

Actions : (see screenshot)
Immediate range :
1) Build a road and a mine in the other Grass-Shield square.
There is no point in improving more tiles, because we'll probably be using the two special city tiles.
But if the worker has nothing else to do, he could mine the N tile or road one of the forests.

Long range :
2) After these actions are finished, I think the worker should be sent to our future cities core.

Last edited by Eli; June 18, 2002 at 06:04.
Old June 18, 2002, 06:06   #11
Eli
Emperor

Screenshot :
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	17611  
Old June 18, 2002, 06:17   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:40
Very fine work Eli. The short term goals are great, and easily achieveable - considering that the worker will hardly be needed elsewhere for a while!

Screenshots are very helpful - what program did you use for the text? MSPaint isn't quite so good for me.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 18, 2002, 08:14   #13
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Screenshot :
Eli played ahead 1 turn!

Old June 18, 2002, 08:21   #14
Eli
Emperor

Old June 18, 2002, 08:25   #15
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:40
what makes you think that?? Still 1 turn for apolyton, warrior...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 18, 2002, 13:04   #16
Eli
Emperor

The plan above is not final and there will be changes.

I was over-enthusiastic today and I learned my lesson. Next time the plans will be posted only a few hours before the turnchat when all decisions are finalized.
Old June 18, 2002, 13:39   #17
Timeline
King

Guess you guys are right, he didn't play ahead. At the time I had an old save file and hadn't got the new one
Old June 18, 2002, 17:32   #18
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

no, you should get plans early so you can make polls about them and the details of them!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 18, 2002, 17:37   #19
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
no, you should get plans early so you can make polls about them and the details of them!
Unlike other ministers, the PW Minister(hey, that's me! ) doesnt have to make a few big and fateful decisions but a lot of small and unimportant ones.

What poll do you want me to make? On what square should we put the mine?
Old June 18, 2002, 19:39   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

Dear Public Works Minister Eli,

I strongly believe that we should build a city on the mouth of the Banana River in the Banana Jungle. Just clearing one grassland tile will be good, as we will have room for good-sized banana plantations. Also, an informal opinion poll has shown that the majority of citizens believe that this is the proper course of action. I would like to enlist your support in convincing President Trip that this should be done.

Assistant Editor Skywalker, Apolytonian
Old June 18, 2002, 21:07   #21
civman2000
Emperor

eli: when we just have a couple workers, YES! Later make a few big decisions, but for now make little ones! And almost all should be polled (you can do it with one big checkbox poll)

Old June 18, 2002, 21:24   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

I have heard from one of the other ministers that we're going with my plan.
Old June 19, 2002, 04:23   #23
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Dear Public Works Minister Eli,

I strongly believe that we should build a city on the mouth of the Banana River in the Banana Jungle. Just clearing one grassland tile will be good, as we will have room for good-sized banana plantations. Also, an informal opinion poll has shown that the majority of citizens believe that this is the proper course of action. I would like to enlist your support in convincing President Trip that this should be done.

Assistant Editor Skywalker, Apolytonian
I have already agreed to Timelines's plan concerning the second city.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53362
If this is not what you're talking about. More details could be useful.

Quote:
eli: when we just have a couple workers, YES! Later make a few big decisions, but for now make little ones! And almost all should be polled (you can do it with one big checkbox poll)
Can you give me an example for such a poll? What should I ask and what are the possible answers?
Old June 19, 2002, 07:41   #24
civman2000
Emperor

Examples (not applicable to this game, but just some random ideas):
Which squares should we irrigate which ones should we mine? (checkbox poll with lists for both, OR split the squares into groups that will all be the same).
SHould we send both workers or just one to build the road out to that city?
Should we finish our mines or go get that luxury first?

just some ideas

Old June 19, 2002, 07:48   #25
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
Examples (not applicable to this game, but just some random ideas):
Which squares should we irrigate which ones should we mine? (checkbox poll with lists for both, OR split the squares into groups that will all be the same).
SHould we send both workers or just one to build the road out to that city?
Should we finish our mines or go get that luxury first?

just some ideas

I see no point in making polls for such question. Especially after the late game, when every turn tens similar ones are made.

The way I see it, 99.9% of the decisions are based on pure logic. So incase I propose something and you point out a detail I forgot, there is no point in arguing because it's clear that you are right.
If from some reason there is still a dissagreement, then a poll will be necessary.

The problem is that MOP actions depend on CTED decisions. And sometimes there wont be enough time to discuss them.

So I have for a compromise. A solution that both allows discussion and time to change decisions and minimizes the need for polls.

I'll present it in the next post. I need some time to get a screenshot.

Last edited by Eli; June 19, 2002 at 08:08.
Old June 19, 2002, 07:55   #26
civman2000
Emperor

not in the late game of cousrse...i was talking about when we have only 34 workers and 3 cities or something around there

Old June 19, 2002, 08:03   #27
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:40
What for is the optional road in the jungle SW of Apolyton? Or is that forest?
Old June 19, 2002, 08:10   #28
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
What for is the optional road in the jungle SW of Apolyton? Or is that forest?
It's a forest.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:18   #29
Eli
Emperor

Civman :

My solution :

The MOP will prepare future plans for every city in our empire.

Each plan consists of three maps of the city that explain what terrain improvements should be built in every stage of the city's development. Before aqueducts, after aqueducts and before hospitals and after hospitals.

These plans will be made long before the workers start to work on most of these improvements so there will be enough time to discuss them and correct mistakes.

I see a problem though. First, we need the president's approval because he's the one who'll have to follow these plans and it can be quite annoying.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:25   #30
civman2000
Emperor

hmmm...i've never done anything like that in a game, i usually just build the stuff as the citizens come and don't plan it out. It might work though...