Jurrasic Park ?
How many types of dinos are in PTW?
Old June 16, 2002, 10:45   #2
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 03:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Firaxis guy Jeff said PTW will include a dino-set of about 10 dino-units.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old June 16, 2002, 11:34   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:40
Which is a waste of time.
Old June 16, 2002, 13:11   #4
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:40
i agree solver. I want more units in the WW2 set, and other units in the different era's!
Old June 16, 2002, 13:18   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I can think of a dozen things in Civ3 that still need fixing. Why are they wasting time with dino units? If they have so much extra time on their hands then they should be play-testing PtW more; that way we won't have a repeat of the bugs, balance issues, & rough edges which occured with Civ3's intial release.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 16, 2002, 14:02   #6
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 20:40
What are the dinos for? A Dinobot Civ? Extra units for existing civs? A dedicated dino scenario? A fifth, pre-historic age where these are the weapons of men? Or is it cross-marketing with the new ABC show Dinotopia ?
Old June 16, 2002, 14:05   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Hooray, dino critic!

While I'm not enjoying scenarios too much, I will probably like some historical based ones, like WW2, and such, but I'm sure I'll not play with Dinos, if just for 5 minutes to see what does it look like.
Old June 16, 2002, 14:26   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 04:40
My guess is, the dinos will proberly be something like what existed to Civ2: Your civilization was a dino civilization, researching "dino-advances", and building dino units and dino buildings...

It was actually a pretty funny thing, though I'd say Firaxis shouldn't bother making it...
Old June 16, 2002, 16:20   #9
Solver
lifer
Deity

Right, they shouldn't. They better add a couple new units, a new historical scenario or spend the time on hunting bugs.

Down with dinos!

Was it initative of Sid?
Old June 16, 2002, 17:47   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Fluff vs Substance
This whole dino idea exposes an on going conflict with in software companies: fluff vs substance.

Fluff adds very little to the game/program but is dirt cheap and can be easily advertised and shown as a bullet on the back of the box. As such fluf often helps to increase sales despite the fact that it hardly ever gets used.

On the other hand substance cannot be easily advertised. It manifests itself in the form of a well designed and thought out program that has few bugs and fewer balance issues. Substance is very expensive because sometimes you must delay a product or over shoot budgets in order to achieve it.

In summary fluff provides immediate benifets and the possible drawbacks don't effect you until later while substance has immediate drawbacks and the positives only appear later after you've established your company's reputation.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; June 16, 2002 at 19:46.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:10   #11
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

That is why Nintendo has such a great following of fans, and despite whatever innuendo and crap Xbox and PS2 fans would like to throw at it, Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank. Their games are second to none. Third parties like Infogrames worry only for their bottom line.
Old June 16, 2002, 19:55   #12
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:40
I don't mind the dinos. More units is good, regardless Of course, wink wink, I would rather have an in-between unit to close the huge gap between horsemen and knights.
Old June 16, 2002, 22:48   #13
ammt603
Settler

Local Time: 20:40
Re: Fluff vs Substance
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
This whole dino idea exposes an on going conflict with in software companies: fluff vs substance.

Fluff adds very little to the game/program but is dirt cheap and can be easily advertised and shown as a bullet on the back of the box. As such fluf often helps to increase sales despite the fact that it hardly ever gets used.

On the other hand substance cannot be easily advertised. It manifests itself in the form of a well designed and thought out program that has few bugs and fewer balance issues. Substance is very expensive because sometimes you must delay a product or over shoot budgets in order to achieve it.

In summary fluff provides immediate benifets and the possible drawbacks don't effect you until later while substance has immediate drawbacks and the positives only appear later after you've established your company's reputation.
I completely agree. I would of rather had the company put the time they spent on creating things like the dinosaurs with time used maiking the game more solid.
Old June 16, 2002, 23:34   #14
Zurai001
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:40
Re: Re: Fluff vs Substance
Quote:
Originally posted by ammt603

I completely agree. I would of rather had the company put the time they spent on creating things like the dinosaurs with time used maiking the game more solid.
Of course; anyone would. However, you people are ignoring two important facts: One, the dinosaur art was almost certainly ALREADY MADE, and 'borrowed' from the canceled Dinos game. Two, even if it WEREN'T already made, artists have NO connection to the content of a game. They animate units and create tilesets, they don't create new rules or program in any way.

I doubt more than a day was spent putting the dino unit pack together since most of the materials were pre-existing. I'd much rather have them spend a day giving me 10 units than a day getting half a unit done.
Old June 17, 2002, 00:38   #15
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:40
My main problem with this is that you can't do much with just 10 dinos.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 17, 2002, 11:56   #16
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I dunno. Sure dinos are dumb for this game. But maybe the dinos will simply replace barbs early in the game. This would be kinda neat.

OTOH, if the dino are going to be a playable civ, I wince at the thought of losing a city to the dino's superior culture.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:09   #17
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Considering the known at this time facts, I find the dino idea braindead. Sorry. It would be much better to add more balance and accuracy to the game's core, than to add some fantasy worlds. On one side, the original game has no wonder movies and animated advisors (god I loved those clowns in Civ2), and on the other they add some kind of Jurassic park to the XP, which has nothing in common with the history of mankind and civilizations.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:17   #18
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Braindead? Yeah, but there is precendent for that. I once had 8 military units go poof in a city that reverted.

They just had the dino art laying around. Its no big deal.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:25   #19
Zurai001
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
My main problem with this is that you can't do much with just 10 dinos.
Sure you can. How many units do people actually use from the modern era? Stealth Bombers, Modern Armor, Mech Inf, Radar Artillery. That's about all *I* ever use. If I'm not on a Pangea map, I'll use battleships and carriers too, but I believe battleships are industrial.

Thus, 10 units is way more than enough if you wanted to add a 'pre-historic' era to your game. Don't forget that this is an optional unit pack - nothing is forcing you to play with the dinos.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:40   #20
Cesa
Chieftain

The art team only do the art in the game, but I'd much rather see one wonder movie than the dinos.

Even if the art already was there, they had to make some sort of scenario to include them, that time could've been used better!
Old June 17, 2002, 17:36   #21
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zurai001
Sure you can. How many units do people actually use from the modern era? Stealth Bombers, Modern Armor, Mech Inf, Radar Artillery. That's about all *I* ever use. If I'm not on a Pangea map, I'll use battleships and carriers too, but I believe battleships are industrial.

Thus, 10 units is way more than enough if you wanted to add a 'pre-historic' era to your game. Don't forget that this is an optional unit pack - nothing is forcing you to play with the dinos.
Ok, you add another era. That is the not much I was talking about. There are too little to make a scenario just for them.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 17, 2002, 19:49   #22
Zurai001
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse

Ok, you add another era. That is the not much I was talking about. There are too little to make a scenario just for them.
Not really. If the scenario is an actual scenario and not a total conversion, I could easily see a caveman vs dino scenario. I might even make one to prove it when PTW comes out. We already have all the human graphics we need from the ancient era.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:07   #23
Coracle
Prince

What's the matter with dinos? Civ 2 had a fun scenario with them, and dinos are about as realistic historically as some of the concepts and units Firaxis dreamed up.
Old June 18, 2002, 15:21   #24
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
What's the matter with dinos? Civ 2 had a fun scenario with them, and dinos are about as realistic historically as some of the concepts and units Firaxis dreamed up.
ah right. I see. Presumably, you think that there never were any dinos, thus any reference to them is 'historically' inaccurate...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 18, 2002, 21:34   #25
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Location: Corporate Warlord of the Great White North & Warmer Climes
Various Dino Thoughts
Of course they aren't historical. There is one theory that competed with Thomas Huxley (the brains of the outfit?)'s theory for a while - Creation included the creation of dinosaur bones to be found by people (Not that I'm taking a viewpoint).

Maybe this is the Dinosaur game.....

My favourite theories for extinction:
1.) Young Dinosaur toughs take up smoking (Gary Larson)
2) Plant eating dinosaurs creating large amounts of methane gas (at both ends) were essentially big birds that had an unfortunate predilection to eat flint and iron ores as part of the stones they used in their crop.....
Old June 18, 2002, 21:59   #26
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zurai001
Not really. If the scenario is an actual scenario and not a total conversion, I could easily see a caveman vs dino scenario. I might even make one to prove it when PTW comes out. We already have all the human graphics we need from the ancient era.
I guess it is possible to do a few things with it. It'd be nice if they were more useful though.
Old June 18, 2002, 22:07   #27
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Does anyone else remember the imperialism mod for civ2 that came out a loooong time ago? Not the one they just recently posted on civfanatics, but the one by Leon Marrick or whoever? That one took up way to many hours of my life and i'd much rather see a Firaxis (i.e., professional) creation of the imperial to world war 1 era than dinosaurs in civ3. Dinos would be neat, but how much would they contribute to the game?
Maybe a few dinos that would outdo modern armor and mech infantry could be in as a goodie accessed by beating a scenario or something on deity level rather than 10 of them with little use?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt