View Poll Results: What should be required for a Declaration of War to be made?
Group A: Only the Foreign Affairs Minister has the power to make a Decalration of War 0 0%
Group A: Only the President has the power to make a Decalration of War 3 6.12%
Group B: Only the Prez/FAM can post a poll for a Declaration of war to be made, 51% in favor out the people polled is enough to pass 15 30.61%
Group B: Only the Prez/FAM can post a poll for a Declaration of war to be made, 66% in favor out the people polled is enough to pass 20 40.82%
Group C: Anyone can post a poll for a Declaration of War to be made, 51% in favor out the people polled is enough to pass 4 8.16%
Group C: Anyone can post a poll for a Declaration of War to be made, 66% in favor out the people polled is enough pass 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16, 2002, 12:18   #1
Timeline
King

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What should be required for a Declaration of War?
This one is for the constitution.

- Timeline
Old June 16, 2002, 12:30   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:41
Group B, Option 2. Obviously 1 person can't decide to declare war or not, but I feel that some authority ought to recommend a declaration, followed by a 2/3 vote.
Old June 16, 2002, 12:35   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

other: a civ existing on the map.
Old June 16, 2002, 12:35   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

seriously, the foriegn minister should consult the military advisor, and they should set up a poll.
Old June 16, 2002, 14:03   #5
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Anyone can agitate for war. That is a fact. People can and do spout off reasons all the time for driving the local tank division over the border and killing and burning as much as possible. However, if anyone were allowed to poll for a war, then we would get a lot of wasted threads which would clutter up the forum, as the people in our civ with common sense said 'no!'

Also, i would not want to see one individual with the powers of life and death over our empire. (ex. the rumor is that UberKruX was elected for his ever-so-slight :rollseyes: insanity). Therefore Group B has the only options left. 66% sounds good. I dont want to get into a 1914 situation where the people want an war that only some can see really would bring down the empire.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 16, 2002, 15:00   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

Group B, except that the War Minister should also be able to post such a poll.
Old June 16, 2002, 16:06   #7
Moral Hazard
King

Even though this is a minor issue. Why are people voting all of thier power away? Do you not trust yourself as a civ player? I agree with 67% but I think that anyone should be able to post it. Oh well, I'm in the minority.
Old June 16, 2002, 18:32   #8
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The military advisor is obviously in on it, and has to present ready plans, but he can't be the one that gives the final decision.

The war minister should be able to only post a private petition to the Prez / FA
Old June 16, 2002, 19:57   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
The military advisor is obviously in on it, and has to present ready plans, but he can't be the one that gives the final decision.

The war minister should be able to only post a private petition to the Prez / FA
Agreed. We allllll know what UberKrux is up to, I think that's why Timeline didn't the include Minister of War.
Old June 16, 2002, 21:44   #10
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Agreed. We allllll know what UberKrux is up to, I think that's why Timeline didn't the include Minister of War.
Old June 16, 2002, 22:06   #11
Jon Shafer

Hehe.

Oh well, since it's being voted on the way it is, once it's adopted it will have to be officially amended.
Old June 16, 2002, 22:22   #12
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:41
bad poll: many needed options are missing. I say either SMC or foreign advisor (but not the prez) should be able to make a poll, 51% needed...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 16, 2002, 22:33   #13
Jon Shafer

Why them and not the President? I'm not saying that just for my sake, but any subsequent Presidents.
Old June 17, 2002, 02:18   #14
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 03:41
Yes, why not the president? President is the head of the cabinet so he should be allowed to declare war, with a majority of 51%.
Old June 17, 2002, 03:01   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:41
Unbelievable. All the talk of power to the people, and the people are readily handing over the power to initiate discussions of major import.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:56   #16
Zealot
King

Actually, it *must* be 66.67% to be approved
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old June 17, 2002, 12:02   #17
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

I say 66% plus Prez and FM must agree.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 17, 2002, 14:00   #18
arkanjuca
Settler

Local Time: 23:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquinius
Yes, why not the president? President is the head of the cabinet so he should be allowed to declare war, with a majority of 51%.
I Agree...

I think that the president can do anything unless people dont want with more than 66% or all ministers disagree.
Old June 17, 2002, 14:36   #19
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

I voted for the prez to decide, cause he would lose the peoples support very soon, if he spontanously declears a war that he cannot handle!

Important note:
I think a poll in a constitutional clause, is an important matter! Therefore it should be made by (one or more of) the elected representatives... Other polls can be made by anyone?
Such a legislative poll, should also include the option:
- Invalidate this poll. So if there is a mistake/unclearity and it should not be amended this way, they people will have their say... before it's constitustionalized.

Historical note:
The elected repr. of a civ. did somtimes listen to the furious masses, and agitated for a war which they knew they could easily lose.
(Which also was the weakness of ancient Greek democracy, the demagogs. )
Old June 17, 2002, 15:50   #20
EmperorMagnus
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
other: a civ existing on the map.
I like this idea!
Old June 17, 2002, 16:12   #21
Switch
Prince

Group 2 option B. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with handing powers like this over to the powers that be who were voted in by us. If we don't like our pres asking us to constantly declare war, then vote for someone different. Do most modern demos declare war if some random Joe or Office Glen off the street puts up a poll? no. This is a demo, and we need to trust those we've voted in. If you can't trust them on their decisions, why vote them in?

Sorry, I ramble, and probably don't make sense right now. Excuse me.
Old June 17, 2002, 16:50   #22
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i always like to give POWER TO THE PEOPLE but in this case, i think the president should have the ability to declare war. hey, we voted for him. anyway thats not going to win
Old June 17, 2002, 17:31   #23
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 18:41
WHAT ABOUT THE MILITARY ADVISOR??
I think that he should have a say.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old June 17, 2002, 17:44   #24
arkanjuca
Settler

Local Time: 23:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevman
WHAT ABOUT THE MILITARY ADVISOR??
I think that he should have a say.
For sure!