Old June 16, 2002, 20:49   #1
pqow
Settler

Local Time: 02:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Headquarters bug? (newbie question)
Can't find information on this, so if it's got an obvious answer, don't shoot me -- I'm just a newbie.

When I build a headquarters to combat inefficiency, it seems to disappear a few turns later. Is this a bug or is it supposed to do that?
Old June 16, 2002, 20:55   #2
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Headquarters bug? (newbie question)
Quote:
Originally posted by pqow

When I build a headquarters to combat inefficiency, it seems to disappear a few turns later. Is this a bug or is it supposed to do that?
You can only have one HQ. If you build one, the one that you already have disappears. Is this what you are describing?

Notice that in the build screen, if the HQ already exists in another base, the icon says (relocate) Headquarters,
Old June 17, 2002, 16:16   #3
Tactical Marine
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:42
Yeah thats most likly your problem. Or do you mean it takes a few turns for the corruption to go away?
Old June 17, 2002, 22:16   #4
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 19:42
I recall another new poster who wasn't getting the economic side of the game at all. His base improvements were always getting sold off as a result.

The year end economic update goes base by base and so the first base in the queue (normally the HQ) is often the one the one to have something sold off if you are in deficit.
Old June 19, 2002, 14:41   #5
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 22:42
Quote:
The year end economic update goes base by base and so the first base in the queue (normally the HQ) is often the one the one to have something sold off if you are in deficit
i think he means he is building many HQs to kill efficiency.and i dont think you can have your HQ sold anyway....

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old June 19, 2002, 18:03   #6
Qilue
King

Local Time: 12:42
There is another way to combat inefficiency, but this is best done on huge maps, after you have lots of bases and are playing a faction with an efficiency bonus (Gaians, Cyborgs or Hive).

Build a base somewhere, doesn't matter where since your not going to be keeping it. Rush a HQ then build colonists to disband the base thus wiping the HQ.

You now have a decentralised economy with all bases suffering the same innefficiency no matter where they are. At first it looks like your in worse shape, but over all, you lose less with no HQ than with one in a central area.
Old June 20, 2002, 12:09   #7
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

hive dosnt have effic bonus.

and with cyborgs\gaians,you can run green and or demo to have 0 loss....

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old June 20, 2002, 12:19   #8
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Cat,

Hive gets immunity to negative eff. So running Police/planned (noramlly -4 eff) which would virtually eliminate all incoming energy (except at the Headquarters) allows Hive to still run at 0 eff.

Regarding your second point Dee or Aki running either Demo or Green does not yield 0 energy loss. It allows paradigm efficiency +4 which instead allows free reign to change lab/econ allocations without extra penalty. Energy is still however lost (at albeit a lower rate than 0 or negative efficiency) at bases.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 20, 2002, 12:51   #9
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred
I recall another new poster who wasn't getting the economic side of the game at all. His base improvements were always getting sold off as a result.

The year end economic update goes base by base and so the first base in the queue (normally the HQ) is often the one the one to have something sold off if you are in deficit.
Since my HQ (first base is usually farily energy rich) I normally don't like to move my HQ around. If I'm running tight and in rush buying mode the first base always is running in the black I don't run into this. If however I move the HQ and now the base moves into the red b/c of efficency loss, well I'ld be kicking myself for quite awhile as I see my facilities go poof.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 20, 2002, 18:46   #10
Kataphraktoi
Emperor

Quote:
Regarding your second point Dee or Aki running either Demo or Green does not yield 0 energy loss. It allows paradigm efficiency +4 which instead allows free reign to change lab/econ allocations without extra penalty. Energy is still however lost (at albeit a lower rate than 0 or negative efficiency) at bases
sorry.i had thought it gave 0 loss to inefficency in addition to lab\econ being able to change without loss.

anyway,ill stick with keeping my HQ in my central starting area(usualy my best bases)

Quote:

if his improvements were getting sold off,how could he have a deficit?

Old June 20, 2002, 19:16   #11
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 19:42
Cat, I am guessing wildly because the first post wasn't that clear about the problem.

Certainly as base improvements were sold off, future deficits would be lower or less likely. But it would be possible to still run a deficit with zero improvements that have an annual maintenance cost. All it would take would be a loan. Would the loan be suspended or would you have a negative energy balance?

Hmm. What would the computer do in such a situation? I might have to give it a try. Unlimited loans, run zero econ, 100% research, and see if the game will let you rack up ever larger deficits.

The rigmarole that Qilue goes through to get rid of his HQ supports your assertion that the HQ can't be sold off. Needless to say I haven't tested it, but it seems reasonable.
Old June 20, 2002, 21:37   #12
Kataphraktoi
Emperor

infiltrated gaians have -150 ish from the piont i infilrated to about 2300 in a game i played,and they always had positive(300+) reserves...i think they cheat for energy when they have defficit...cause every game i play,hive(AI) always has at least -50 deficit...