Local Date: October 31, 2010
Council of Territorial Expansion and Development
CTED Government Headquarters

Official CTED Members:

City Planner Punkbass
Imperial Expansion Timeline
Public Works Eli

Current Issues: Starting build orders.

Welcome to CTED headquarters, center of operations for City and Land development. Please keep unnecessary posting to a minimum so that our Ministers will be able to work as efficiently as possible.

Last edited by Timeline; June 16, 2002 at 23:53.
Old June 17, 2002, 00:20   #2
Timeline
King

Local Time: 21:42
Starting Build Orders

Uberkrux and Trip’s comments are requested on the following issues

Since we understand very little about our surroundings, it will be necessary to explore our immediate area quickly. It is unresolved which level of Barbarian activity we will be facing, but it appears these forces will be at the roaming level. Now, balancing Defense with Exploration, I propose the following:

2 warriors

Uberkrux, if we built 2 warriors, will you champion using one for exploration and one for defense, or would you allow our both our armies to explore our land and find new areas to expand to? By sending one warrior along a river, we are sure to find a spot for a new city state. But, by sending 2 warriors out, each following the river in different directions away from our main city, our second settlement could be a lot better.

After our two warriors I propose:

Settler

Pumping out the rabbits is essential.

If Uberkrux is so kind as to send both warriors exploring then I suggest we train clubmen dedicated to protecting our city and squashing rebellious bananas.

2 more Warriors

Then another Settler

Punkbass, Uberkrux, it’s not my intention to debate here or squabble over every little detail, but my intention is to find out if we are on the same page. Do you agree or disagree with these suggestions? And why?

Thank you,
Councilman Timeline
Old June 17, 2002, 04:37   #3
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I dissagree.

This proposal puts too much emphasis on defense. Explore with the worker to find a city site*, build one warrior to defend the city and start mass producing settlers.

* - I dont really like this idea, because then i'll be doing nothing for half of my term, but IMO it's better than the one proposed.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:42   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
yeah, i agree with eli, we shouldn't make so many warriors, the support costs might start being damaging...at least i've never had 4 of my first 5 units be warriors...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 17, 2002, 08:32   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:42
(note : because of my post, my opinions have not to be taken into account. It is just an advise I'd offer, as if I were a free citizen).

In my perspective, being agressively ICSing is a must. There are simple mathematic ways to reach maximum efficiency in producing bith units and settlers :

1. hypothesis : we have 1 shield producing grassland, and other grasslands.
We can produce a warrior (5 turns), and a settler (15 turns). the total of 20 turns exactly match the time we need to go to pop 3 in the city.

2. hypothesis : we have several shield producing grasslands :
We can produce 2 warriors (5+5 turns). When they have ended, the city came to pop 2, and thus produces 3 shields. If we build a settler (10 turns), we'll match the very moment the city goes to pop 3.

I don't know to manage with maximum efficiency when there are no shield producing grasslands in the surroundings though.

Now, IIRC, the second citizen in emperor is born unhappy. I guess we'll need to let a warrior in the city to keep him happy.
Old June 17, 2002, 09:49   #6
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 22:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I dissagree.

This proposal puts too much emphasis on defense. Explore with the worker to find a city site*, build one warrior to defend the city and start mass producing settlers.

* - I dont really like this idea, because then i'll be doing nothing for half of my term, but IMO it's better than the one proposed.
You need three population points to produce a settler, so the warriors would be built in the interim.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:02   #7
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000

You need three population points to produce a settler, so the warriors would be built in the interim.
Sorry. Havent played the game for months.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:20   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'm going to be out for a bit today (family crap i can't avoid) but i would like all warriors to explore for future enemies / more city spots, so long as the city doesnt grow so fast as to cause unrest.

if we have a slow growing city with a decnt production, i'd like 2 warriors and a spearman for defense.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:21   #9
Timeline
King

Excellent thoughts.....EXCELLENT Muhahaha

Yes the Warriors are simply to be built while the city repopulates for another settler.

If uberkrux doesn't mind sending our first two units on exploration, and leaving the city without troops for a while, then I suggest:

2 warriors (explore)
the settler
2 more warriors (city defense, explore)
settler

What I am suggesting is constantly sending out settlers from our main city, and building warriors in between. Then, we use the other cities (like one built next to cows or wheat) to make our workers and some settlers. Once our other cities are making workers/settlers we can build a temple in our main city and let it grow some.

What do ya think punkbass? Try to be as specific as possible.

Uberkrux, thanks for the coments

Looks like this council is working out nicely, now punkbass will have some info on what to build.

Last edited by Timeline; June 17, 2002 at 14:03.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:48   #10
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

My opinions really cannot be stated before knowing what civ we are and what the conditions are, but my personal general startup reflects your proposal and I will likely support it.
Old June 17, 2002, 16:41   #11
Purple
Prince

I didn't see mention of the starting position, as reflected in the game map Trip posted. Starting at the tip of this peninsula gives some defense advantage, so we don't have to worry about a garrison right away.

I very strongly support an explorationist policy. The sooner we find the other civs and desirable resources, the sooner we can plan the main thrust of our expansion. Even so, we can't neglect workers, who should concentrate on roading, to speed our exploring units to the frontier.

So: warriors until pop 3 is reached, then settler, then warrior, worker. Repeat. When temples become available, build one.
Old June 17, 2002, 16:49   #12
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
We can build temple right from the start because we are religious. (Egypt) So the temple might come after the first or second settler. But let the city planner decide that.
Old June 17, 2002, 17:52   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

We should set all of our warriors to exploring, even if we don't build as many. We don't need to fear an attack from the sea, so any units coming to attack us we come from the dread North, beyond the Banana Jungle. Our brave warriors will be exploring this evil land, so none of it's belligerent inhabitants will be able to attack us.
Old June 17, 2002, 17:59   #14
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquinius
We can build temple right from the start because we are religious. (Egypt) So the temple might come after the first or second settler. But let the city planner decide that.

Yeah, the expansion-ministery should also think about cultural expansion... (at some stage)
Old June 17, 2002, 18:02   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Cultural expansion is necessary, I agree.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:45   #16
Timeline
King

AGH how did he make some of my text turn red.....he is a wizard.

Last edited by Timeline; June 18, 2002 at 18:28.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:51   #17
punkbass2000
King

I believe we should not build a temple in the capital. Our capital is on a penisula, and even worse there is nothing but jungle nearby. By the time we found a worthwhile city, it will be completely corrupt, I expect. Thus, we will need to perform a palace jump, and any improvements built in the capital will be a waste of time.

As for the settler, I disagree with your idea, Timeline. This is emperor, and we need all the settlers we can get. The capital should continue to pump out settlers for the time being, IMO. To be honest, I'm not sure that building a road through the jungle is worthwhile, as I believe we should disband the capital anyway, and thus the road would go to nowhere.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:54   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline
From looking at the map it looks like Workers are top on the list now....

Since we got a settler from a goody hut, i suggest replacing that would-be settler with 2 workers, Punkbass, what is your opinion about this:
Not a bad idea. I like it. We could put 3 workers on permanent jungle-clear duty, so by the time that we get things rolling, we'll have a large portion of the jungle already cleared.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:04   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Not a bad idea. I like it. We could put 3 workers on permanent jungle-clear duty, so by the time that we get things rolling, we'll have a large portion of the jungle already cleared.
hi ,

that sound good , imagine how many "bonus" grassland lies beneat it , ...
and if there is concern about rescources , we can replant parts with a forest , ...

but giving up your settler now , , it would be smarter to build the workers in a city

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 22:29   #20
Timeline
King

Suggested Expansion:

Move Settler 2 squares NE and form our second city, Natylopa Maelstrom .

Explore W with our warrior, and NWW with our second.

Last edited by Timeline; June 17, 2002 at 22:35.
Old June 17, 2002, 22:39   #21
Timeline
King

it's hard images to work right here

I put one up and the black background appeared white
Old June 17, 2002, 22:42   #22
Timeline
King

Plan:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	17599  

Last edited by Timeline; June 17, 2002 at 22:47.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:40   #23
ThePlagueRat
King

I see the river, build a city there! Target 1 and 2.
Then start to chop banana-trees at both river banks...
Old June 17, 2002, 23:48   #24
00civicSi
Settler

Local Time: 18:42
Timeline has a good plan.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:51   #25
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by 00civicSi
Timeline has a good plan.
He's doing very well...
Something we will remeber for later elections!
Old June 18, 2002, 03:31   #26
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Noooooooooooo!

Initial cities in the middle of a jungle? Arrrrgggghhh!

How many of you have played Emperor with a crap start? We can't afford the time for them to become useful.

Push on to the far edge of the banana expanse. Build city there. Disband Apolyton so that the Palace moves to the new Apolyton. Rebuild for the good grassland/whale spot.

If the Gods have placed us on a Jungle island, they have consigned us to Hades. If there is useful land on the other side of the banana expanse, it is our only hope.

The Gods have seen fit to bless us with a free settler. Do not waste the blessing.

Be bold now! It is the only way.

Carpe diem!
Old June 18, 2002, 05:10   #27
Eli
Emperor

What NYE said.
3 cities on grassland in 30 turns are better than 3 cities in the jungle now.
Old June 18, 2002, 05:13   #28
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Noooooooooooo!

Initial cities in the middle of a jungle? Arrrrgggghhh!

How many of you have played Emperor with a crap start? We can't afford the time for them to become useful.

Push on to the far edge of the banana expanse. Build city there. Disband Apolyton so that the Palace moves to the new Apolyton. Rebuild for the good grassland/whale spot.

If the Gods have placed us on a Jungle island, they have consigned us to Hades. If there is useful land on the other side of the banana expanse, it is our only hope.

The Gods have seen fit to bless us with a free settler. Do not waste the blessing.

Be bold now! It is the only way.

Carpe diem!
hi ,

the gods want more banana's on their altars , .....

who knows what is beneath the jungle floor , ... only the gods , and right now there are no workers , or slaves to put that jungle down , .....

expanding would be nice , who knows what is ahead , ....
maybe we find on the edge of the jungle with the sea ,
some fish and whales , like at the first place , ....

have a nice day
Old June 18, 2002, 05:18   #29
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Than we are damned panag.
Old June 18, 2002, 05:34   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Than we are damned panag.
hi ,

when you start losing your faith , in the gods , then we shall be , ...... , ....

but what can we do , lets face it , one way or the other , the options should be looked at again , ....
and then the gods shall trust us that we can make a wise choice , .....;

have a nice day