View Poll Results: How many terms should an official be allowed to be up for election?
Group 1 - Unlimited 15 45.45%
Group 2 - 1 Term 1 3.03%
Group 2 - 2 Terms 10 30.30%
Group 2 - 3 Terms 4 12.12%
Group 2 - 4 Terms 2 6.06%
Group 2 - 5 Terms 0 0%
Group 2 - 6+ Terms 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17, 2002, 12:13   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Term Limits
Okay, in regards to confusion regarding the # of terms in a row allowed for elected officials in the first poll, I'm conducting this new poll. It will be conducted with the 'group' type poll. The winning option within the winning group will be the decided option.

Question: How many terms should each official be allowed to be up for election?

Options: Group 1 - Unlimited, Group 2 - Limited - 1 term, 2 terms, 3 terms, 4 terms, 5 terms, 6+ terms.

Duration: 5 days.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:18   #2
Timeline
King

Local Time: 21:43
Looks good........
Old June 17, 2002, 13:06   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

With this thread, I'm showing a demonstration of my proposed addition to our Constitution regarding polls that you can find here. As you can see, it's clear, concise, and there's no 'grey-area' regarding the question or any of the options. It's not an exact replica of what every poll should look like, but it does include the necassary parts of it that I recommend.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:20   #4
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:43
There are a number of polls that are repeat polls.

It would appear as if the first result wasn't the one wanted? At least in one instance.

How about a limit on when a new poll on the same topic can be reintroduced?

That way, if the losers of poll A want to try a new one, then they have to wait X amount of time to introduce a new one. They could petition for an earlier revote, but require at least 51% of the membership to vote yes (I prefer 2/3 or 3/4, but at least 51%).
Old June 17, 2002, 13:22   #5
Jon Shafer

In my proposal the limit is 3 weeks before someone can conduct a repoll. Many of the polls already conducted are 'invalid' as far as what I've proposed anyways, so repolling for more fair and official results now is acceptable.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:51   #6
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

The wording of a poll is most important since you can word a poll to skew the results; you think you are voting yes when a yes actually means no. They do that all the time when conducting surveys, I have seen elections that way a couple of times as well.

It would be nice to sticky the polls to the top, if they aren't already, at least at long as voting is still going on. I will check out the current polls post later.

My concern is that they will be so many polls that people get burned out. Also, polls where a small handful make a major decision. Length (time voteable) of polls is an issue as well.
Old June 17, 2002, 15:10   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hi ,

Trip , what about consecutive turns , should there not be a break after lets so many turns , for at least lets say 1 turn , .....

this option is not in the poll , should it not be in , ...

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 17:04   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I have to agree with trip on this one...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 17, 2002, 17:12   #9
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
In my proposal the limit is 3 weeks before someone can conduct a repoll. Many of the polls already conducted are 'invalid' as far as what I've proposed anyways, so repolling for more fair and official results now is acceptable.
hi ,

, okay , but we should talk about what comes in , some poll's are giving a wrong pic , so more Q's in them would be good , ...

, maybe we need a bit more advice on how to do them , ...

have a nice day

P.S. , could you put in the seal , "president of the banana" , just a Q that is asked by a reader
Old June 17, 2002, 17:40   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Two terms is good.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:14   #11
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:43
People shouldn't be forced out of office by terms. Trip seems to be going a lot of work. If this continues and the performance is good, I see no reason of kicking 'em out.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 17, 2002, 18:34   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Trip is going WAY too fast.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:37   #13
Jon Shafer

I'm going with the votes in the polls. If 99% of people vote for "let's play 100 turns starting in 5 minutes", then that's what we do. It's not my fault people are anxious to play. If things go wrong because we're moving too fast, then maybe that will make people more patient.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:39   #14
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

i wish it would......i urged people to have patience all along, but they never paid attention...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 17, 2002, 18:43   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Do you mean for any office at all?

For instance, the limit is 4 terms. You serve 4 terms as Prez. Can you then run for a different office or not?
Old June 17, 2002, 18:45   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, term limits are for a single office.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:55   #17
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Do you mean for any office at all?

For instance, the limit is 4 terms. You serve 4 terms as Prez. Can you then run for a different office or not?
hi ,

why not , ....

but there should be a break after so many turns of having the same office , ....

and there should be no relation with the new job , example , if one served on a counsil , there should be a break from any jobs on that counsil .

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 19:22   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

skywalker,

That's not what the poll says. It says 'official be up for election', period.

It does not mention different positions.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:53   #19
civman2000
Emperor

i would assume that this poll is about how many times someone can run for any position...though it should only count for consecutive terms...

Old June 17, 2002, 21:19   #20
notyoueither
Deity

I think it is worded unfortunately.
Old June 18, 2002, 00:30   #21
kring
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
People shouldn't be forced out of office by terms. Trip seems to be going a lot of work. If this continues and the performance is good, I see no reason of kicking 'em out.
There is a good reason for term limits. It's called voter stupidity, or apathy, or laziness. I am not necessarily talking about this game, but IRL. Because IRL when you can keep running for office unlimited, you become almost autoelected. Let other people have a chance. Locally, my city mayor can't be reelected because of term limits. Yes, he was doing a good job, but compare to my legislators that started out the same way, but can be reelected unlimited; given a small amount of time, and their good jobs go down hill quicker than a sled.

There is always someone who can do a better job than the current ins. That person may not get elected, but s/he is out there.

For now, unlimited and 2 terms are tied at 8 each.
Old June 18, 2002, 00:34   #22
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
For now, unlimited and 2 terms are tied at 8 each.
But Group 2 is behind Group 1 13 to 8, which would put the 2-term limit in the lead by quite a bit.
Old June 18, 2002, 00:37   #23
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
i would assume that this poll is about how many times someone can run for any position...though it should only count for consecutive terms...
It was already decided in another poll that you can go from position to position as many times as you want. The poll only refers to the # of terms in a row someone is allowed to be elected (i.e. you can run as many times as you want, but you can only win x number of times).