Old June 17, 2002, 18:18   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Progress Report
Okay, here's my first report/summary of things that have occured.
We found ourself on a small peninsula, and moved the worker to explore. Found a good spot for a city that will allow us access to 2 shields, a source of fish, and whales. However, once we started exploring north with our first Warrior, we found a humongous jungle (which we named the "Natylopa Jungle"), which still hasn't seem to end. In a goody hut, we got a Settler, and are now using to help explore (since getting out of that jungle will be a priority). Next, we plan on trying to find a way out of the jungle, building a few units, maybe a worker to help start clearing out the jungle, and explore of where we're at.

Current Date: 3500 BC
# of turns completed: 10
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	3500bc.gif
Views:	139
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	17584  
Old June 17, 2002, 18:25   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

First, switch the warrior to a worker. We NEED workers to clear the Banana Jungle to give more room for our banana plantations.

Second, stop calling it Notylopa Jungle. It's Banana Jungle.

Last, We should build a city at the mouth of the Banana River, so that we will have better defense, more trade, and a sea route for our bananas.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:29   #3
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
First, switch the warrior to a worker. We NEED workers to clear the Banana Jungle to give more room for our banana plantations.
If i'm not mistaken the city is defenseless now. So we need one warrior(also to stop riots).
Old June 17, 2002, 18:30   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Blah blah blah, Banana this, Banana that. Call it what you want, when we were playing we named it the "Notylopa Jungle". If you don't like that name, then call it what you want, just don't tell us what not to call it.

Building anything in the jungle will be a catastrophe if you ask me. First, it will generate... pretty much nothing. Very little commerce, no shields, very little food. That means further expansion is limited to our first city. This will put us at a great disadvantage... finding a good place for a city a few turns later will make up for the time lost searching for the location, if you ask me.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:32   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

We don't need another warrior now. There is no possibility of an attack from the sea. Our other warrior is exploring the only line of attack.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:34   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
Build a city 1 South of the Warrior. The borders will encompass the shield grassland. Build worker here first. Start clearing Jungle.

End run, better second city. 1 tile of jungle cleared would give us the capital and a second settler factory. Will need lots of cities ASAP to overcome the jungle.

Going too far from capitol will give corrupt pile of goo. Although, a capital jump at this point might be the best course of action, but could cripple us too.

Jungle island anyone?
Old June 17, 2002, 18:34   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

Also, for the Jungle city, we could use the water until we get at least one Jungle tile deforested.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:35   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The city will riot when it reaches pop 2(Emperor level). We need a warrior.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:44   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Oh.

I don't play at emperor. I didn't know that. Never mind.
Old June 17, 2002, 19:40   #10
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:45
How many turns to cultural expansion? (whale is intelligent food)
Old June 17, 2002, 19:55   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:45
1 turn. I guess things will go much faster once we use the whale.
Old June 17, 2002, 20:07   #12
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
1 turn. I guess things will go much faster once we use the whale.

Sure, you can build some nice improvements then!
What about the current build-queue then...
Are there some other build options now?
Old June 17, 2002, 20:08   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
We don't need another warrior now. There is no possibility of an attack from the sea. Our other warrior is exploring the only line of attack.

hi ,

, barbarians , riots , always build a unit , ...

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 23:26   #14
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

I would favor moving the settler 1 square north in hopes of capturing a grassland square, but even if this is not found starting the 2nd city on that spot. It is by a river so no aqueduct is needed and the jungle can be cleared quickly, 6 turns with 2 workers (industrious trait). Assuming our jungle city has no grassland we should build a worker after the warrior and send both workers to clear some jungle. Then build warrior, settler. In the long run, Jungle City will be a fine city. BTW, does this poor start makes early wars impractical?
Old June 17, 2002, 23:31   #15
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
BTW, does this poor start makes early wars impractical?
Not as much as if we're on an island.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:34   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
the military advisor demands a sav file to glance at.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:36   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
BTW, does this poor start makes early wars impractical?
it'll be annoying both on the production side and the fact that our UU is wheeled... er'll have to clear / road up the jungles if we are to attack.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:44   #18
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
the military advisor demands a sav file to glance at.
Sent.

Well, it appears as though our UU will be completely and utterly useless, so we shouldn't focus on that too much. We have to focus more upon working with and around the jungle than anything else at this point.
Old June 18, 2002, 00:06   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i concur.

a) wheeled units will be useless with all this jungle.
b) the chances that we find horses in our limited "clear" area is small.
Old June 18, 2002, 04:40   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:45
A challenging looking start. I see no problem with the start decisions, Trip. It appears I am the first to say Congratulations to you (and all in the turn chat) on the game starting well. Let's try and maximize what we can from this position; it will be a challenge, but that's why I am here, if no-one else.

/me rubs his hands together

This is going to be fun

Oh, and one more thing: the Presidents in the Civ2 game post a turn-by-turn account of what happened in each period of play. Could you pioneer this here, Trip? It really helps with figuring out the momentum of events.
You can see what cavebear does here.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; June 18, 2002 at 04:45.
Old June 18, 2002, 04:46   #21
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
Wow, this start is a tough one, isn' it? If I was playing my own game I would have restarted, but surely the combined brains of Apolyton can overcome this challenge? Long live the Empire!

It is a shame that our warmongering options appear to be severely limited. Without really any chance of getting horses or iron any time soon we might struggle to get enough resources for a major attack.

We need to find a way out of this jungle ASAP. There's not a lot of point in building anything in the middle of it (unless we find some luxeries perhaps).
Old June 18, 2002, 08:54   #22
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Build a city 1 South of the Warrior. The borders will encompass the shield grassland.
I agree with you, we should build the second city south of the warrior.
If we keep exploring with our settler there will be a big chance we will find nothing but more jungle
Old June 18, 2002, 08:57   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, the river , normally a river start's near mountains or hills , maybe we should go and see there , ....and have a nice two spaces view , ...

have a nice day
Old June 18, 2002, 09:45   #24
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

, the river , normally a river start's near mountains or hills , maybe we should go and see there , ....and have a nice two spaces view , ...

have a nice day
Good idea
Old June 18, 2002, 09:57   #25
Eli
Emperor

Yes, if the settler continues north-west he should find some elevated terrain. But whether it will be after one move or ten, no one cant now.
Old June 18, 2002, 10:04   #26
hetairoi22
Warlord

Hmm. We could send the settler south to build a city 1 square south of the warrior. Then the warrior could explore north. We may lose some time, but we need a second city ASAP. Plus there could be barbarians up north that would kill our settler. And have the worker build a road to this new city-site ASAP and/or some mines to quicken our building speed and thereby also our settler production rate and expansion.

Just my 2 cents...
Old June 18, 2002, 10:08   #27
Eli
Emperor

hetaroi - Timeline made a poll and the majority preffered to continue exploring.
Old June 18, 2002, 11:59   #28
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
A challenging looking start. I see no problem with the start decisions, Trip. It appears I am the first to say Congratulations to you (and all in the turn chat) on the game starting well. Let's try and maximize what we can from this position; it will be a challenge, but that's why I am here, if no-one else.

* MrWhereItsAt rubs his hands together

This is going to be fun

Oh, and one more thing: the Presidents in the Civ2 game post a turn-by-turn account of what happened in each period of play. Could you pioneer this here, Trip? It really helps with figuring out the momentum of events.
You can see what cavebear does here.
LoL, the start stunk so much and there was so much chaos, no one could take down the turn-by-turn stuff very well. As far as how I've run things so far, I'm taking a strong approach to all things I do. This either gives people a "I love you" or "I hate you" syndrome, but I don't mind. I think that this thing needs someone who gets out and gets things done firmly and doesn't just pick his nose half the time. Maybe not necassarily me, but no one else ran. That's the main reason I wanted to start this thing off. I noticed things were really sluggish, and even if people whine "he's moving to fast, he's gonna mess us up!" then at least we'll be in AD with an infrastructure and a good position to mess up in, instead of arguing at 1000 BC.

The massive jungle will make things more fun, if you ask me. Instead of getting planted in the Garden of Eden, we might actually have to work to win this one! (gasp! Say it's not so!) The whiners will always whine, but I think in the long run things will work out nicely.
Old June 18, 2002, 12:14   #29
JSeeds
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

As far as how I've run things so far, I'm taking a strong approach to all things I do. This either gives people a "I love you" or "I hate you" syndrome, but I don't mind. I think that this thing needs someone who gets out and gets things done firmly and doesn't just pick his nose half the time.
Well said Trip. Keep it up!

My opinion is that we shouldn't rush to throw up a second city. Trek a little bit more and maybe we'll be rewarded.
Old June 18, 2002, 12:57   #30
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by JSeeds
Well said Trip. Keep it up!

My opinion is that we shouldn't rush to throw up a second city. Trek a little bit more and maybe we'll be rewarded.
Thanks for the support!
I agree, we should rush into whatever we do, and we have to make a good decision or else we could be in a bad situation for some time.