Old June 17, 2002, 18:55   #1
aris1
Settler

Local Time: 02:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Windows XP problem
Hi everyone

I try to install Alpha Centauri on Windows XP but I cant do it. Can you help?

Thanks
Old June 17, 2002, 19:35   #2
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 22:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Here is the thread from the last time this was addressed. Hope it helps!

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=47986

-=Vel=-
Old June 18, 2002, 17:45   #3
aris1
Settler

Thanks Darsnan but nothing happened. When I try to run SMAC I return to my desktop.

Any ideas anyone?
Old June 18, 2002, 21:10   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:46
Try right clicking on the smac or smax icon (or going thru the programs/firaxis/smac/run smac and right click there.

Brings up properties.

Select "compatability" and set at win98

That should do the trick

G.
Old June 19, 2002, 17:24   #5
aris1
Settler

Hello Googlie and thank you for your responce.

I have tried compatibility wizard but nothing happened. Maybe the problem is in directX.

When I run dxdiag inside XP the program tells me that I have directX version 8.1 installed and everything works properly.

When I run dxdiag from the SMAC CD, the program tells me that I have directX version 5.1 installed!!!! and many DLLs with problems.

When I try to install directX version 6.1 from SMAC CD, it tells me "installation completed" without installing anything.

Can you figure out anything?

Many thanks again

Aris
Old June 19, 2002, 18:23   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
AFAIK, you cannot install an older directx version over a newer one. That is why the program says "Installation completed" and nothing happens.

In what resolution are you trying to run the game? You could try a lower res. Or it might have something to do with your videocard drivers.
Old June 19, 2002, 19:22   #7
aris1
Settler

I know about the versions, but the dxdiag shows that I have older version 5.1, as I said.

I have installed the newest drivers for my video card. I have tried all resolutions/colours.
Old June 21, 2002, 05:17   #8
buster
ACDG3 CMNsACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 04:46
You cannot use dx6 on windows xp. The reason you get different reports when running dxdiag on the c: drive and on the CD is for the simple reason that on the C drive it checks the files on the c: drive (your system files) and on the D: drive it checks the files on the CD (the ones that come with SMAC).

What you need to do first is download dx 8.1 and reinstall it. It can be gotten from www.microsoft.com/directx .

Second if you have a pentium 4 you need to change ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0 to ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1.

Try to start the game activating terran.exe (smac) or terranx.exe (smacx) rather than axstart.exe (the splash screen). Some people have trouble with the splash screen but the games actually run fine.

If its not solved by now you need to isolate which component is making troubles. It is typically the graphics component or sound.

A simple way to check the sound system is to rename sound.dll and soundx.dll to something else (the game will now have no sound). If it runs know you know its the sound system that is making troubles.

A simple way that will (almost) always detect graphics problems is a) set your resolution to 800x600 x 256 colors b) set hardware acceleration to None (both are done in display settings in control panel - acceleration is under advanced --> trouble shooting.

If its graphics, its your driver almost certainly. Nvidia update their drivers extremely frequently and the reason is usually to improve the speed when using more than 28 lightsources in "Final shootout 6½" or to eek out three extra frames per sec. in "Alien blaster pro". Not infrequently this improved performance is done by sacrificing some compatibility.

Try with a model 3-4 generations back or use the one built into winXP.

Anyway once you know which component is making the troubles you can take it from there.