Old June 17, 2002, 21:23   #1
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 22:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Palace Jump
Due to the obviously poor starting position, I propose that we should be prepared to perform a palace jump in the near future. For those who don't know, a palace jump is where one disbands there own capital in order to have moved freely to a better a location, and is an extremely useful tactic when your palace position is sub-optimal (and in this case, horrendous). If this initiative is undertaken, there are a few obvious preparations. The first is that the capital will not produce improvements. As this city will be disbanded anyway, they would be a waste of time. Second, as a consequence, the capital will become a unit factory, especially pumping out both settlers and workers. Third, the workers should not bother improving more than two squares within the capital's radius, as it will not be allowed to grow beyond that size without immediately producing a settler. It will also be optimized for production and not growth. Fourth, the workers will not build a road through the jungle, as there will be nothing left to connect to once the city is abandoned.

This thread is for the discussion of this proposal, including dissenting opiniong. It will result in a couple polls which I will post tomorrow and will run simulataneously, despite their depending on each other, as it seems quite possible that the next turnchat will be in a few days. The planned polls are (in order of dependence):
1. Do you approve the idea of palace-jumping?
Yes
No
Abstain
Other (please explain)

2. If palace jumping is approved, do you agree with my proposals for subsequent actions?
Yes
No
Abstain
Other (please explain)

Any objections to the wording or options of these polls should ne voiced ASAP, preferably before they are posted.

All comments welcome.

Incidentally, I strongly advocate this course of action, if this was not obvious.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:29   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I think eventually we'll have to do a Palace Jump, that is clear. The real question is when.
Old June 17, 2002, 21:36   #3
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
I'm not sure if I like the idea of disbanding the city of Apolyton so soon. Is the expected corruption so bad that there won't be time to just rebuild the palace, rather than disbanding Apolyton? Or am I just so unexperienced in Civ3 that this is just useless drivle and all are free to laugh?
Old June 17, 2002, 21:38   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Well, being that the entire side of this island/continent is jungle, the entire side of the island will be fairless useless until most of the jungle can be cleared... and with things being what they are (i.e. we still don't know where the jungle ends), the best place to put our capital will have to be far, far away from where we've started. We will certainly keep Apolyton around for some time, but eventually it may not be worth our time to keep around (then again, it could be, but we'll have to see).
Old June 17, 2002, 21:44   #5
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hmmm...
Was there an optimal spot for capital at all?
(maybe somewhere among the banana-trees, if they were cut down! )

Ok, Punkbass' jumpy proposal sounds good!
In case of this jungle-jumping affair, there should be built another city at this lucrative coastline... I still need my whalebeef!
Old June 17, 2002, 21:48   #6
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
(i.e. we still don't know where the jungle ends)
It could be big... What planet-age did you choose on startup?
(inflicts size of deserts, jungles, mountain ranges, etc.)
Old June 17, 2002, 21:52   #7
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

This is a question we probably wont be able to answer until at least the AD.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 17, 2002, 21:52   #8
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
It could be big... What planet-age did you choose on startup?
(inflicts size of deserts, jungles, mountain ranges, etc.)
Huge map, random landmass, temperate, normal.
Old June 17, 2002, 22:12   #9
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO
I'm not sure if I like the idea of disbanding the city of Apolyton so soon. Is the expected corruption so bad that there won't be time to just rebuild the palace, rather than disbanding Apolyton
Well, there's always time, technically, but I would expect to be building that new palace at the rate of one or two spt, which would be a looooooooooooong time.
Old June 17, 2002, 22:15   #10
punkbass2000
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagoras
This is a question we probably wont be able to answer until at least the AD.
I am not sure why you believe this, but in any case, it needs to be decided now, as many of the ramifications (if ramifications can occur retroactively) need to be decided upon now.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:45   #11
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:46
if there is a more suitable place up north for our new empire then I say Jump, but if its just another peninsula neighbored by Jungle I say start whacking away at the trees.
Old June 17, 2002, 23:55   #12
00civicSi
Settler

Local Time: 18:46
Damn the man! Save the Empire!

Don't ditch the capital.
Old June 18, 2002, 00:11   #13
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:46
it's not much of a capital if its so far away from the empire.
Old June 18, 2002, 00:12   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

as of what we see now, there is no reason to even consider a palace jump, until we see a half decent spot.

a whale and a fish in the middle of a jungle clearing may be the ebst we see for a while.

i'm not in favor of palace jumping, becaus ei cnsider it an exploit. oh well.
Old June 18, 2002, 01:41   #15
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:46
I too consider it an exploit. Besides, the site of our capital is pretty solid : whales, fish, two shield producing grasslands, forests... Maybe the best spot we'll have in a good while. If the city was to be disbanded, I'd like to see it rebuilt shortly thereafter (I know, I must tell this to Timeline).
Old June 18, 2002, 02:59   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:46
Disband to Settler. Capitol jumps to 2nd city (hopefully in greener pastures). Rebuild immediately on this site.

Call the new (old) city Tripanus. It will eventually be a great metropolis. In the mean time it can feed settlers into the jungle.

I think the great expanse of banana land justifies a small exploit in this case.
Old June 18, 2002, 03:25   #17
mwaf
Warlord

I agree with Spiffor and notyoueither, we should rebuild Apolyton once it's been abandoned.

Although, I do think it should still be named Apolyton.

Besides, we wouldn't want someone else founding a citry on the same spot as the city where we all were born, would we?

Our cultural border should cover the grassland south of the Notylopa Jungle, we don't want intruders on our Aploytonian continent!
Old June 18, 2002, 04:09   #18
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

1 - yes.
2 - yes.

Good job so far, punkbass . No complaint from the opposition. But do me a favor and plonk a city (in cooperation with Timeline) with that damn second settler near the capital. Every turn it moves is one too many, it loses its advantage quick.
Old June 18, 2002, 05:06   #19
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
I agree.

The jungle is too big and it will take millenia to road it.

I see two possibilities(both of them suck) -
1) We're on an island filled with jungle.
2) The jungle is huge, but it ends.

In both cases, we cant leave a capitol at the current spot.
Old June 18, 2002, 07:53   #20
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46
Leave apolyton, it has a pretty good location, i see no reason to ever disband it. However, once we have a significant number of cities (5 or 6 maybe) we should move, if we're out of the jungle.

Oh, and please say banana in the polls, not abstain

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 18, 2002, 08:21   #21
The Viceroy
Prince

I agree with Civman on this, we don't even know if there is a place to move as yet. Keep the capital for now, explore more, and build a few more cities, if we need to move the capital due to corruption then, we can then. Last thing we want to do is disband Apolyton, only to be wondering in the jungle for 10-20 turns looking for the ideal spot.
Old June 18, 2002, 08:44   #22
Nym
Prince

Of course we should wait before abandoning Apolyton. Even if its location is poor for a capital, it still produces commerce and so gold or science. I think we should keep on exploring until finding a new location for our empire, then build some cities. At this point Apolyton could be abandoned by producing a settler so to make the palace jump and New Apolyton could be built at the same location, which is still valuable for a city.
Old June 18, 2002, 08:50   #23
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

1. Abstain
2. Yes

I'm generally against palace jumping, but if we do it, the proposal seems fine.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 18, 2002, 09:58   #24
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000

I am not sure why you believe this, but in any case, it needs to be decided now, as many of the ramifications (if ramifications can occur retroactively) need to be decided upon now.
Sorry I didnt read the questions. Yes we should palace jump, but as to where - that depends on what our nation looks like which might not be really known until we're out of BC years.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 18, 2002, 10:20   #25
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
Of course we should wait before abandoning Apolyton. Even if its location is poor for a capital, it still produces commerce and so gold or science. I think we should keep on exploring until finding a new location for our empire, then build some cities. At this point Apolyton could be abandoned by producing a settler so to make the palace jump and New Apolyton could be built at the same location, which is still valuable for a city.

I think that's just perfect! If it will work out then.... and if it's the enlightened people's true will? we'll see...
Yeah, our dear Ministeries: Prepare the votation now!
Old June 18, 2002, 11:35   #26
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I just thought about something :
When we'll abandon Apolyton, which city will become the capital ? (sorry, I never lost my capital). Will it be the one next to Apolyton, probably in the jungle, or the most populated one ?
Should we be prepared to abandon a bunch of cities to get the palace where it should be ? It seems to be very risky.
Old June 18, 2002, 11:39   #27
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
I believe that when you abandon your capital it automatically jumps to whatever city you founded 2nd.

If that is the case then we will have to be very careful where we send our current settler to found a city, otherwise we'll be no better off than we are now.
Old June 18, 2002, 11:45   #28
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

No, it's most likely the most populated one. This simple rule can be messed up only with a wonder. I once had prepared a size-7 city for the new capital, but it jumped to a size-4 city with the Great Library.

SirPleb of CivFanatics posted a few links recently, you can find them here.
Old June 18, 2002, 11:48   #29
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Thanks for that info.
Old June 18, 2002, 13:25   #30
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
agreed! this seems to be a sound strategy.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.