View Poll Results: How should we determine city names?
Joining-Order 20 35.09%
Random 25 43.86%
Other 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19, 2002, 12:13   #31
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
For now, joining order is winning. I think it would be the easiest to keep track of, whether you include active only or not.

As to giving priority, I don't see why. In a democracy, all are supposed to be equal. Esp. since the game has started, this could have changed how many ran for office since some would consider the perk of being one of the first to name important, but not me.
Old June 19, 2002, 15:52   #32
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Tied right now.

If it's a tie, is it up to Trip?
Old June 19, 2002, 16:03   #33
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Proserpine
I prefer joining order (and I'm waaay down the list), but as others have said inactive members should be excluded.

Also if ministers have priority - whatever the principal method - it is obvious I think that they should be excluded if their number comes up later in the normal course of running through the list.
I agree with Proserpine's formulation, and if members don't provide names in time, they should go to the end of the list.

Joining order avoids any appearance of chicanery or favoritism (I know Trip is honorable, but someone else?). It's a pre-determined order.

After the cabinet members have had their turns, special rewards should not alter this order. Only a new cabinet member would move to the top of the list.

However, honors could and should include the right to name geographical features.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:13   #34
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
I agree wiht Purple, though I should add that honoured members should only be allowed to name one landmark.
Old June 20, 2002, 12:26   #35
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:46
Too close to let this slide off the page. C'mon people, vote!
Old June 20, 2002, 13:30   #36
jdd2007
NationStates
King

bump

vote other, or joining order.

would u like someone who has posted three times to have a city named after them? while our beloved ministers and president are ignored?
Old June 20, 2002, 14:30   #37
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
My vote goes for other. Ministers and President first, then joining order. I know I have not been so active these last few days, but that is because I'm posting from work, because my home computer is... how could I say it... on vacation.
Or, if you want a more historical flavor, I have been working in the jungle for a loong time, and my contact with our civilization is not so frequent, which bothers me the most, because I miss my beloved wife, who is living in Apolyton and... (Ok, I think you got the point).
Old June 20, 2002, 14:48   #38
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I think people who never posted (or post sparingly) would probably be dropped from consideration...
Old June 20, 2002, 15:48   #39
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

It's staying fairly close, still.
Old June 20, 2002, 16:35   #40
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Since so many people want it, I'll come up with another proposal regarding excluding inactive members, and giving the Ministers some priority. Note, that will go along with the results of this poll, and not overrule it (so, ministers get first pick, then it's random, or ministers get first pick, and then we go in order).
Old June 20, 2002, 19:44   #41
kring
King

Not another poll, please anything but that. This thing has been polled to death.
Old June 21, 2002, 13:41   #42
Jon Shafer

One more bump. It looks as though random is pulling ahead, but joining-order may make a come-back.
Old June 21, 2002, 15:03   #43
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"this poll is closed".
Now Trip, please tell us who the 10 first ones to name a city will be !
Old June 21, 2002, 16:02   #44
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
"this poll is closed".
Now Trip, please tell us who the 10 first ones to name a city will be !
Well then, nevermind.

Alright, loading up the program... 154 members total now... Okay, let's do it:

After the Ministers (since it appears as though Ministers will get first pick), the order will beeeeeeee:

94) johncmcleod
129) Papa Chubby
27) hetairoi22
72) Spiffor
92) TrueLight
34) Juliennew
58) Flip McWho
138) joost1110
91) wervdon
138) joost1110

Since 138 was picked twice the first time (what are the odds), I'll run it one more time with 1 number. Better fix that in the meantime... Also, Spiffor is a Minister, so I'll go ahead and do another one for that also.

132) godinex
120) furbster

So there you have them. The first 10 people to choose names (after the Ministers). The PMs are already on their way. First ones to respond will be the first names used.

Sorry about the sloppy screenshot, next time I'll make it prettier.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	city name order 1.gif
Views:	26
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	17847  
Old June 21, 2002, 16:03   #45
Kuciwalker
Deity

Nobody said minister's get first pick!
Old June 21, 2002, 16:06   #46
Jon Shafer

Your favorite poll seems to disagree.
It's an 'addition' poll, not a repoll. If people think the Ministers should get first pick and random after them (since this poll isn't being overruled, only added upon), then why is that a problem?
Old June 21, 2002, 19:25   #47
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Why shouldn't spiffor be able to name one just because he's a minister???

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 21, 2002, 19:26   #48
Jon Shafer

He does get to name one. But if (when, it looks like) it is decided that Ministers can choose first, then we'll need someone else to fill out the 10th spot (can't let ol' Spiffy choose twice, now can we? ). If not, then he'll take his spot in line.
Old June 21, 2002, 23:12   #49
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

10th, don't you mean 4th??

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 21, 2002, 23:53   #50
Jon Shafer

Whatever. I meant 10th as in one spot was missing, so I was filling in the last remaining empty spot.
Old June 22, 2002, 21:30   #51
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

After the Ministers (since it appears as though Ministers will get first pick), the order will beeeeeeee:

94) johncmcleod
129) Papa Chubby
27) hetairoi22
72) Spiffor
92) TrueLight
34) Juliennew
58) Flip McWho
138) joost1110
91) wervdon
138) joost1110
Bugger. Looks like I'll just have to masssage my ego by reminding mySELF (via sig) that I am the First Citizen.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!