View Poll Results: Do you agree with the idea of the Palace Jump?
Yes 21 50.00%
No 10 23.81%
Abstain (Banana) 11 26.19%
Other (please explain 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18, 2002, 14:38   #1
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Palace Jumping
This poll is to determine whether or not people generally approve of my idea of palace jumping. Yes if you agree, no if you don't, abstain if you have no strong feelings either way, and other just in case you have an answer that doesn't quite match up with any of the other three. This was first discussed here. This poll will run for 48 hours, so it should be valid by the next turnchat, which is at 2000 GMT on Thursday.

EDIT: A YES DOES NOT INDICATE THAT PALACE JUMPING WILL OCCUR IMMEDIATELY

The purpose of this poll is to determine whether or not the actions of my other proposal are worth taking.

Last edited by punkbass2000; June 19, 2002 at 14:04.
Old June 18, 2002, 14:41   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

We don't have any other cities yet... if we were to do a Palace Jump, then it would have to be much later. I abstain.
Old June 18, 2002, 14:46   #3
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

There is nothing in this poll that says the palace jump will be performed immediately.
Old June 18, 2002, 14:51   #4
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looking on the map you can easily understand that if/when we find a suitable place for lots of cities, it will far from Apolyton. Moving the palace will be essential.
Old June 18, 2002, 18:03   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:49
abstain for same reasons as trip. I support it so i dont want no to win, but i fear that if yes wins either one or both of the following will happen:
1. We jump really early...too early
2. We abandon apolyton.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 18, 2002, 18:14   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The earlier the jump, the better in this situation.

We can always immediately rebuild on the same site as Apolyton.
Old June 18, 2002, 20:18   #7
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 21:49
Apolyton is going to wind up so far removed from our larger production/commerce centers later in the game (unless the jungle gets a lot of clearing) that a palace jump will be needed. However, now we need to focus on getting our civ at least vaguely onto its feet with workers and warriors before building something as big as a palace.

I abstain because i agree it will be necessary, just not immediately.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 18, 2002, 20:24   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:49
To future voters :
I'd like to repeat this thread doesn't ask the same questions as the Palace Jumping II poll. Here, Punkbass asks if we should palace jump eventually. In the other thread, Punkbass asks if his strategic suggestions meet agreement, if the palace has jumped.
Old June 18, 2002, 21:18   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

No palace jumps EVER!
Old June 18, 2002, 23:47   #10
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

we must palace jump, before something jumps us!
Old June 19, 2002, 00:30   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Chandragupta,

The new Palace is free when you 'jump' it. You disband the old capitol into a settler. The Palace automatically relocates to the 'best' city, for free. It can get tricky to get the palace to go where desired when you have a lot of cities. It is relatively easy when you have few. It's dead simple if we do it with only 2 cities.

Although if the second city gets built in the jungle, it would be a bad idea to do it now.
Old June 19, 2002, 00:32   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Chandragupta,

The new Palace is free when you 'jump' it. You disband the old capitol into a settler. The Palace automatically relocates to the 'best' city, for free. It can get tricky to get the palace to go where desired when you have a lot of cities. It is relatively easy when you have few. It's dead simple if we do it with only 2 cities.

Although if the second city gets built in the jungle, it would be a bad idea to do it now.
as far as i can tell, the jungle only gets bigger. we got warm and wet.

if we are to make a jump, it would probably be much later and it would probably be far away, and hard to manage. i say forget the whole thing.
Old June 19, 2002, 00:38   #13
notyoueither
Deity

I think we really want to know for sure how big that jungle is before we commit for sure one way or the other.

How many wrists will be slit if we give up and say, '10 turns delay ain't worth it' if it turns out there are 2 cows and a couple of hills on a nice river on the other side?

I advocate patience.
Old June 19, 2002, 10:17   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we should wait a bit before a jump , maybe our situation , it could improve , ...

have a nice day
Old June 19, 2002, 11:18   #15
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 03:49
It is quite clear for everybody that we will have to make the palace jump, but I think that we must explore far more and build some new cities in good locations before proceeding.
So I agree with the idea, but it should be discussed later.
Old June 19, 2002, 11:23   #16
delsolsi
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:49
I think we should wait untill we have a better idea of what our continent or island looks like. Doing it now is way to eary and may not be benefitial.
Old June 19, 2002, 11:37   #17
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:49
My answer is yes. But the jump should be performed later, after further exploration. Although this makes the decision of our honored government to refuse the benefits of early doubling production and commerce (i.e. using the free settler) look still poorer.
Old June 19, 2002, 12:48   #18
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 02:49
chop down trees, oh god the enviromentalists will have a field day! i'm sure those tribals don't mind reproducing so we can have a massive work force!
Old June 19, 2002, 13:25   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
chop down trees, oh god the enviromentalists will have a field day! i'm sure those tribals don't mind reproducing so we can have a massive work force!
hi ,

but they shall have a field-day when we re-plant , ....

have a nice day
Old June 19, 2002, 14:01   #20
punkbass2000
King

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
abstain for same reasons as trip. I support it so i dont want no to win, but i fear that if yes wins either one or both of the following will happen:
1. We jump really early...too early
2. We abandon apolyton.
Neither of your two concerns have anything to do with this poll. All I want is your general opinion of performing a palace jump at some point. The first concern will be voted on later, if this is approved, and the second is not within my jurisdiction anyway. I believe it would fall under Imperial Expansion.
Old June 19, 2002, 18:09   #21
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I know they dont directly, but i feel that if yes wins those things are fairly likely to happen

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 20, 2002, 12:11   #22
punkbass2000
King

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
I know they dont directly, but i feel that if yes wins those things are fairly likely to happen
Why? I will hold a vote for when. Do you simply not trust the people?
Old June 20, 2002, 12:36   #23
civman2000
Emperor

I trust them, but that has nothing to do with it. I just have a feeling that having yes win now could lead to those things.