Old June 18, 2002, 17:55   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 02:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Ecology of the Nilrogg.....
The Ecology of the Nilrogg
Address given to the Academics of Barrowmar, in MistHaven
High Witch Bezzamarrabizzarra speaking

Introduction
Much effort has been given to the study of the creature that shattered the Empire of Old and drove us into the isolated land we now inhabit. It should be noted though, that study of the Nilrogg has not proved to be an easy task. Despite our numerous attempts to capture one or more live specimens, we have been completely unable to do so. The few times we have successfully managed a capture, the creature in question died mere moments later. Whether this is due to some internal mechanism or a response to a command given by some central “group mind” we are uncertain, although current thinking leans toward the latter, as we have found nothing in Nilrogg physiology that would suggest they have a means of willing themselves to death….no internal organ that can be activated like a switch to flood the body with toxins….nothing like that at all. But, as we will get to later, there are other reasons besides this lack of physiological evidence that guide our thinking to the conclusion that the Nilrogg are, at least to a degree, controlled by, or at least guided by some central intelligence.

Before we go further, I should point out in the strongest possible terms that there is no…I repeat no firm evidence in support of the theory that the Wizards of the Old Empire had been experimenting with creating magical constructs to assist with mining operations. While a colorful, fanciful theory, the truth of the matter is that it does not fit with what we know of the Nilrogg, and in any case, if we are to take the reported size of the attacking host at anything approaching face value (accounting for the possibility that our forefathers of two hundred years ago might have felt the need to exaggerate slightly), then it would have taken every Wizard in the Empire working non-stop for a span of several hundred years to produce that number of creatures. In short…it is a fantasy, concocted purely for political reasons by those who mistrust us and our powers, and would turn popular opinion against us.

So…having dispensed with fantasy, let us focus our attention on what we do know about these mysterious, deadly, and fascinating creatures.

General Appearance
First, to physical appearance. The Nilrogg is not like any other creature we have ever encountered. It has two arms, two legs, and two additional limbs at what would be “waist level” for us, that can serve in either capacity. This, coupled with their sheer physical strength (approximately three times the average human male) allows the creatures to do some amazing things. Scuttling along as they do on four legs—which somewhat resembles the movement you might expect from a giant, lumbering spider that’s missing half his legs--they can keep pace with our heavy horse troops for surprisingly long periods (up to four hours, per a variety of reports from active Cavalry units that have been shadowed by Nilrogg scouts). Their great stamina also allows for short-term bursts of speed that can actually overtake our own scouts and skirmishers, making it very difficult to avoid a determined Nilrogg strike unless a delaying action is fought by some, so that others might make their escape (which, as any student of history can tell you, is a page right out of the book of our forefathers, who fought delaying action after delaying action against the horde).

Another advantage their four “legs” gives them, when combined with their vast strength is the ability to easily scale sheer cliff walls, trees, and other obstacles. Reports of Nilrogg hanging upside down from stalactites on the roof of caves, and then dropping suddenly in ambush are more commonplace than you might think, and one of the chief reasons that our standing forces make routine patrols into known cave networks in the mountains, but more on that later.

Appearance. Everyone who’s not talking about Nilrogg battle methodologies is invariably talking about appearance, and make no mistake about it, they are truly hideous creatures. But in that hideousness lies a certain….fierce beauty, if you will.

A great many of the unlearned regard the Nilrogg as being essentially insectoid in their nature, and while it is true that they have some things in common with insects, it would be a gross and irresponsible misrepresentation of the species to categorize them so. No…they do not have a carapace….a hard, external shell used for armor. In truth, their hides are thick and rather akin in texture to the elephants of the stories of our forefathers. The musculature of the creatures looks to be almost sculpted from solid rock, and in fact, more than one soldier has reported shattering his sword against the hides of the creatures, so they do share something in common with their earthen home. Our studies on the bodies we have recovered indicate that there is some sort of controlled, sustainable contraction response the Nilrogg are capable of which tightens the muscles of the creature to such a degree that their thick external hide takes on the consistency of stone. These muscle contractions are of such strength that the creature’s blood is quite literally squeezed away from the expected point of impact as the hide is hardened in that area….this is the reason we never see much, if any blood from the wounds of dead Nilrogg. Apparently death freezes those contracted muscles in place, preventing blood loss. It is not known for how long a time these muscle contractions can be held, but there is some evidence that suggests its duration can run into several hours, at least (again, witness battlefield reports where little to no Nilrogg blood is ever spilled). This is a powerful advantage indeed, and another indication that strength and durability are hallmarks of the Nilrogg. (side note: We have a sample of Nilrogg hide with us, and can demonstrate the reflex/contraction effect after the lecture. Any who are interested should gather near the rear of the auditorium when we are finished here).

Back to physical appearance. Their coloration is varying shades of grays, browns, and muddy blacks, with apparently no importance attached to coloration. In all cases, however, the Nilrogg look remarkably like the rocks they live among and beneath. Not all hard and jagged edges, mind you, but rather, like a rock that has liquefied briefly. Their muscles flow over them beautifully. Regardless of how repulsive we may find them, they are marvels, no matter how you choose to look at it. Massive shoulder spans, well-defined chest and arms, rock-sculpted legs of vast strength, and capable of amazing bursts of speed….but none of those features get talked about nearly as much as the hands and head.

The hands are….well, what can one say about them? Talons? Yes, but even that is too kind a word.

Four digits to our five, opposable thumbs, with longer fingers and toes on the primary arm, and shorter, stubbier digits on the “swing” limbs. In both cases though, those talons are equipped with a retractable bone spur, sharp enough and more than strong enough to serve as weapons in their own right. I have, with my own eyes, seen men disemboweled by a single blow from a Nilrogg’s bone-spur extended closed fist. It should be noted here, that these bone spurs are not hardened by any special means, and are somewhat delicate because of that. There’s some evidence that chipped or broken off bone spurs will grow back in time (again, by studying the remains of Nilrogg slain in battle), but without the ability to study one in captivity, we have no information on what the rate of re-growth might be—although it would be quite enlightening in terms of being able to approximate their regenerative and recovery rate as compared to our own.

Long as their fingers are though, it is clear that those hands are not made entirely with war in mind. They are capable of crafting delicate, strangely beautiful art and ornamentation. One need only look at their swords (somewhat blocky and primitive by our sword-smithing standards, it is true, and yet, were we to craft such a blade….functional and yet hollowed out to allow for ichor to be placed inside….I wonder would not our own blades look similar)?

And some of the symbols etched into the blades we have recovered show an enormous amount of artistry. As do the headdresses that their leaders wear. Nay, it would be a mistake to simply dismiss the Nilrogg as unthinking animals. They have demonstrated through their conduct and pursuit of the war against our forefathers, through their continued cunning against us today, and through their art, that they are intelligent, and quite possibly every bit our equals in that regard.

And that….gentle folk….brings us to the next bit. The casing for that brain that is every bit our equal….the unforgettable Nilrogg head.

The shape of the Nilrogg head looks eerily like that of a Praying Mantis….a rounded, triangular shape, powerful mandibles at the jaw and mouth, large, round, complex lens eyes set to the sides of the creature’s head, rather than to the front as ours are, this gives the Nilrogg the capacity to capture and magnify what light might be available in their underground environment and see well indeed, and to see in three hundred sixty degrees. There is no sneaking up on a Nilrogg.

Unlike most underdwelling creatures, however, the Nilrogg suffer no particular difficulty by being out in the daylight. Apparently, their eyes “cloud” when exposed to light of increasing intensity, shutting more and more of it out. One more example of their cunning and remarkable design.

At this point, I would remind you again that the only opportunities for study we have had to date have been with dead, matured adults. Thus, we are only getting a tiny picture of them, frozen in time. We have no notion of their social structure, only the vaguest understanding of their language, and their motivations are a complete mystery to us.

There is some circumstantial evidence (tracks found on more than one occasion as cave systems on the border have been discovered and scouted), that their young begin life with tails, which either fade or fall off as they reach maturity. No young have ever been seen, however, so this is conjecture based on the tracks discovered in “nesting” caves….and to that end, we do know that the Nilrogg nest. Their females lay eggs and tend them. What role and how active the fathers are in helping care for the young is, again, something we simply have no way of knowing.

In Battle
Much has been discussed and written about Nilrogg battle tactics. This speaker is no tactician, and so my comments here will be brief.

The tactics used by the Nilrogg are, in this researcher’s opinion, used because they are effective, and for no other reason.

Consider the native environment of the Nilrogg. Enclosed environment, and dark.

It seems clear to me that their principal battle tactics were born in their native environment, and just happen to be amazingly effective on the surface. The enclosed environment makes speed a brutally effective weapon, as in such tight quarters, he who strikes first generally lives to strike again….thus, the Nilrogg emphasis on speed.

Close quarters can be controlled and contained by fighting in battle wedges, and thus, we see the Nilrogg duly forming wedges, usually with flamers on the flanks, and shock troops in the center.

And what about flamers? Fire is surely a devastating weapon against most underdwellers, given their sensitivity to light. Once more, we see the Nilrogg expressing no fear in using it….flame-units bearing torches of long-burning pitch to ignite anything that will burn, and generally cause chaos and panic.

And finally….the spray.

As our forefathers learned very quickly, the Nilrogg use hollow swords for a reason. That reason is that the swords are not the primary method of killing.

Our ancestors lost far, far more soldiers to the greenish ichor inside those swords than to the swords themselves.

We have not been able to collect any samples for study to date, and so cannot comment on its nature or composition, but it is clearly a devastating weapon, and one that the Nilrogg themselves are either immune to, or much less affected by.

There has been some conjecture that the spray is a natural byproduct of the Nilrogg…blood or waste. This speaker has her doubts about that, but cannot authoritatively confirm or deny such reports at this time.

The Hive Mind
Perhaps the most compelling evidence we have to date regarding the Nilrogg collective consciousness, will, and intelligence is in simply watching them in battle.

They are singularly non-adaptive, and will attack or pursue only that which they see. Only that which is before them, even when our own personal logic and intuition would practically be screaming that there must be something amiss, it simply never happens for the Nilrogg, which is suspicious, given that we know them to be an intelligent, sentient species.

It follows then, that something must rise up to take the place of this intuition, else they would be unable to survive long. We believe that the Nilrogg share a limited form of empathy with one another, and perhaps even more (yes, I am referring to a kind of telepathy, just so my skeptics and detractors can have a memorable quote from me). We do have some battlefield reports of Nilrogg “shouting out” (or, in their case, “clicking and whistling out”) orders to their troops, but in this researcher’s opinion, that can be seen as little more than a convenient means of getting someone’s attention, and not a formalized language (no more than rallying our soldiers with a few blasts from a signal horn could be construed as language….it has meaning yes, but is hardly language).

So…I believe that we will never struggle to learn the language of the Nilrogg, because I maintain that there is no language to learn. They communicate on a much deeper, much more emotive level than we humans do, and simply have no need to express themselves vocally.

I end this brief presentation with a bit of wild speculation of my own. If I had to make a guess of it, I would say that at the center of Nilrogg society there is a leader. A singular being of surpassing power and telepathic ability who can reach out and bind all the others together.

Make of that what you will.

End

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Last edited by Velociryx; June 18, 2002 at 18:13.
Old June 18, 2002, 18:01   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Holy s**t ... does your brain ever stop wizzing around, mate?

Excellent work! (again!)

"And finally….the spray. " - I just love that.

BTW, there's a typographical error in that first posts: you used the wrong brackets in the 'end italics' tag ... just FYI.
Old June 18, 2002, 18:02   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Oh ... OK ... you saw the typo thing ... I should have known to allow time for an edit.
/me shrugs

I've got me a new Sig line ... like it?
Old June 18, 2002, 18:35   #4
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Great work Vel,

Just one thing missing, (or I missed it) the size. How large are the creatures? Are there varient sizes due to 'jobs' that we know of?

Reply to High Witch Bezzamarrabizzarra by Yannes, member of the Acedemia of Barrowmer

I would still mantain that Nilroggs are permutations of insects, even possibly of ants. Six legs aside, your whole emphasis on empathy and conjecture of a central leader reminds me of my own study of ants. Therefore, I propose that only one wizard (with incredible power) would be needed to create these creatures. 'Planting' them and letting them evolve their own societies, and moreover, multiply, would be a perfect way of overthrowing known powers. Deeper investigation into Imperial-aged scrolls should comense to find such a possibility. I know of no other way, should this conjecture indeed play out, to know more of the Nilrogg as of now. The past holds the key to our future!

End

Hope you don't mind if I play along Vel.
Old June 18, 2002, 19:18   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Thanks guys! Been meaning to flesh out the nasties of Candle'Bre a bit further, and finally had a flash of inspiration to do just that!

And I don't mind the playing along at all! In fact, anybody who wants to do so, feel free to jump right in!

PS to Stoo! LOVE the new sig line!

Bezzamarra's Reply to Yannes, Esteemed Scholor of Barrowmer

The exclusion of physical size from my presentation last Moon, at the Academy was due to the oversight of one of my Scribes, who now has the honor of disposing of the entrails of the Nilrogg we dissect for further study. That should teach the lad the value of completeness.

And to answer your question regarding size, so that your group's notes may be more complete in that regard, the Nilrogg battle units we have slain are easily half again, to twice the height of a man, when standing on their two "primary" legs (ranging in size from 9 to 12 feet high when standing in this fashion). Females of the species have, in fact, been reported in battle, identifiable by a smallish "egg pouch" on their bellies (actually, we do not know what the purpose of the pouch is, but only assume that it has something to do with their young....no females have ever been recovered. The Nilrogg take great pains to recover the bodies of their females when they fall in battle, but leave the males of their race where they lay....precisely why this is, is unknown).

There is some size variance in the group, with females and smaller males holding flanking positions in a battle wedge (using flame as a weapon), while the largest of the males wield two, and sometimes four of their swords in battle. Beyond this task differentiation due to size, we know little else, though we are ever-hopeful of being able to study their social habits at some point without them becoming aware of our presence.

The comparison to insects is a valid one to a point, and certainly there are clear signs and indications of an insectoid connection with the race. My earlier comments were meant to deflect supposition that the Nilrogg "problem" could be solved solely by looking at them through an "insect-shaded" lens of perspective. There are clearly other factors at work here, though I quite agree that their commonalities with the insect world bears further investigation (side note to Yannes - in specirfic terms, that means next year's grant to continue your study has been approved by the High Council of Wizards, and should be sufficient to allow you to add the requested three additional aides to the project).

As you proceed with your own studies, however, be mindful of Provost Galliard's work which mirrors your own, but focuses on the Nilrogg similarities to bats. I think that both your project and his are proceeding down the right road. At this time, I am uncertain of either's ability to provide us with all the answers we seek on their own, but taken together, and with a bit of luck in studying them in their own social setting, we might yet be in a position to unlock the deep mystery they represent.

Keep up the good work. I shall return three Moons hence with an update on our findings.

-Fondly,
Bezzamarra
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 18, 2002, 19:43   #6
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds great.

So CB is where Ender sent the buggers off to?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old June 19, 2002, 06:37   #7
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Excerpt from 'Proceedings of the 1st Academy Symposium on Nilrogg physiology'

Author's note: The following notes were taken at the Public Session of the Symposium. The speaker is unknown, although would appear to be a scholar of sorts. Whether or not he/she is a reputable scholar I leave to the reader to decide.

"It is my opinion esteemed colleagues, that Provost Galliard's preliminary work may in fact hold the key to understanding the motivations, language and psychology of the Nilrogg. It has long been known that bats possess superior locational and navigational abilities in the dark and it has been postulated that this is accomplished by means of the generation of audible signals beyond our range of hearing. Such signals would reflect from surrounding surfaces - forming echoes if you will, which the bat can then detect. I would hypothesise that the Nilrogg possess a similar ability, which moreover they have evolved into a form of language. Ladies and Gentlemen, there is no need to invoke 'telepathy' when a more reasonable explanation resides in the fact that Nilrogg speech is simply inaudible to our ears. As for the good Provost's more speculative comments, I would add that my own studies on the Nilrogg musculo-skeletal anatomy, conclusively prove that there can be no direct link between bat and Nilrogg, although I would concede that an airborne Nilrogg would be truly terrifying. "
Old June 19, 2002, 09:43   #8
Velociryx
staff

Overheard in the "Chartruse Moose," a tavern in Misthaven

"....flying Nilrogg, says he. A truly terrifying thing indeed."

"I would not totally discount it, Brother Evanaard."

"Nay? You wouldn't. You're more superstitious than the old Crones of the Free Folk."

"Mmmm....perhaps. Call it what you will, but the fact is that there are no reports of Steppe Wraithes in the account of the Flight and Founding. Our forefathers never encountered them....given the size of the horde, I would say they never encountered them because they didn't exist."

"So? What are you driving at?"

"Only that something has cause them to begin evolving at a frightening pace. Inside of a hundred years since the "Nilrogg 1.0" attacked, we had Steppe Wraithes. There's evidence that young Nilrogg are born with tails and lose them....so maybe an even older version of the creature had tails permanantly and evolved away from it....or maybe, the spell that saved us....did something to them."

"Where are you going with this?"

"Nowhere specific...just thinking out loud. In my mind....the scientists at these symposiums are asking the wrong questions....seems to me that the most important question of all wasn't even addressed."

"Which is?"

"Where do Steppe Wraithes come from? And if the answer to that is some kind of evolutionary overdrive, then where did THAT come from? Who's to say we won't see flying Nilrogg inside the next hundred years?"

"That's....insane."

"Perhaps."

"You really think so?"

"I think the possibility exists, yes....and I think the researchers know it full well and are afraid to talk about it."

"Gods and Saints....I need a drink suddenly."

"Aye."

-=Vel=-

PS: Good one, Rich!
Old June 19, 2002, 10:26   #9
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 03:50
Vel, English ain't my first language and all, and I read only the first few paragraphs of your fp, but I sure didn't sound like an old witch to me. More like some Hollywood movie US military mission briefing...

But that could just be me, of course.
Old June 19, 2002, 11:13   #10
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

A Castillian Correspondence, Part One
Lady Ahnwick Castillar to General Tionan

Sir Tionan,

It has come to my attention that a special guest speaker is addressing the Council of Academia at Barrowmer to relate the most recent theories behind the origins and operation of the Nilrogg. I am very concerned about the possibility of a fresh Nilrogg uprising. Although none of our people have seen any evidence of the great terror returning, I have recently heard rumours from reliable sources in the North, which lead me to conclude that we would be not be fulfilling our sacred duty if we were to ignore the threat that the Nilrogg present.
I am therefore requesting that you travel to Misthaven and file a report back to me of what was discussed. I am entrusting this task to you not only because you are the Commander of my armed forces, but also because you are my friend.

May God be with you,

Lady Ahnwick Castillar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General Tionan to Lady Ahnwick Castillar

My most noble Mistress,

I can understand that your Ladyship is troubled by the threat of the Nilrogg since you know better than anybody the great harm that they are capable of, however I feel it is my duty to protest at being sent across the country at this crucial time. As your Ladyship knows, I respect your opinion above that of all others, but the indications are now clearer than ever that we may soon be drawn into a Civil War. The preparation of our armies that began last year is reaching the crucial final stages and I believe that I would be of greater use to your Ladyship at home organising the troops than I would be in Barrowmer. Can not another go to Misthaven?

Your most humble servant,

Sir Tionan

Lady Ahnwick Castillar to General Tionan

Sir Tionan,

I appreciate your candour and your sense of duty that causes you to request to stay here a while. However, I feel I must insist that you attend the conference since I have learned that High Witch Bezzamarrabizzarra is going to be the person addressing the academics and I simply must know what she has to say. Archprelate Otheb would surely frown upon me taking an official interest in the opinions of ‘that accursed infidel’, as he so charmingly refers to her, and as a respected member of the Church administration I can not afford to be seen to associate with the Wizards. I have long been aware, though, that despite the profound religious differences I have with High Witch Bezzamarrabizzarra, and however much I am loathe to recognize her power, she must certainly have access to information that has so far escaped our knowledge.
Sir Tionan, I know that you can be trusted to keep a low profile and to ensure that word of my interest in this matter does not reach Otheb, that is why you must go. The Church has for too long been content to ignore the threat that is posed by the Nilrogg and if the Archprelate can not be moved from this policy then I have no choice but to act without his authorization.

Be careful, my friend,

Lady Ahnwick Castillar

Old June 20, 2002, 04:13   #11
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Excerpt from 'Proceedings of the 10th Academy Symposium on Nilrogg physiology' - keynote lecture

Author's note: The following is a transcript of part of Academician Yannes' seminal lecture. The consequences of this pioneering work are now of course common knowledge for any scholar in the field.

"My lords and ladies, honourable colleagues and esteemed guests. My lecture today concerns some hitherto unknown aspects of the Nilroggi life cycle and some possible consequences of these discoveries."

"My story begins with with a routine cave patrol by our Subterreanean Guards. These unlucky men happened across a small cluster of Nilroggi, some 10 males and around half that number of females. The fighting I understand was brutal and I would ask for a minutes silence in respect of their memories."

"Thank you. Most unusually for an encounter of this kind, the Nilroggi dead were left behind, which in hindsight, was due to a new kind of weapon being field tested at the time. Most of you will now be familiar with the crystal resonator, which generates bursts of extremely high frequency soundwaves. Whether the Nilroggi actually communicate at these frequencies is still a matter of some debate but they certainly seem to respond to them. Incidentally the crystal resonator in my opinion is an excellent example of an unexpected use of 'arcane and irrelevant research' - but I digress.

"The Guards were able to bring back one of the bodies to the Academy for further study. The corpse was female, quite moribund, with the characteristic locking of the protective subdermal muscles that accompanies death. Being unable to breach this natural armour without substantial damage to the corpse, it was decided to attempt to scry out the internal organs instead. As a result we were able to generate the first crude anatomical maps of the female Nilrogg. As one may expect, they bore much resemblance to that of the male, apart from one or two differences, presumably to do with egg production.

"These maps took some time to prepare. It was on the 5th day of work that we set to scrying - and could discern no internal features at all! We were understandably disheartened at this, and all anatomical work had to stop. There was much talk amongst the students of slicing the corpse open, or presenting it to the Vice-Chancellor as a paper weight. In any event the body was left alone for a day or so until we had decided what to do. And then something truly exciting happened - the supposedly dead Nilrogg started to twitch. One exceptionally brave student (Scholar Marks I believe) had the presence of mind to Scry the uncurling body - and discovered a wholly new set of internal structures! Unfortunately (or perhaps that should be 'fortunately', the creature died before it could get to its feet. We can only speculate that this reawakening process requires some form of trace nutrient, which we were unable to provide.

"From studies of this transformed Nilrogg, we were able to conclude that it would function as some sort of queen, although creche guard may be a closer fit. In any event the most striking feature of the body was the numerous pouches over the back and lower abdomen. These pouches appeared to be similar to the single pouch found on the normal female but with an unusually complex connection to the creature's nervous system. A second equally striking feature was the complete lack of egg producing internal organs."

"In conclusion ladies and gentlemen, we have discovered a new stage in the Nilroggi lifecycle. This stage appears to be primarily for the safekeeping of the young and may also provide an enhanced education function, as indicated by the nervous connection to the pouches. We suspect that this change originally occured upon natural death and has since been utilised under combat conditions to provide a greater supply of 'trainers' for newly hatched Nilroggi warriors. This would explain, amongst other social or religous reasons, why the Nilroggi are so scrupulous about removing their dead from the battlefield. The transformation from egg layer to trainer is extraordinary and bears some comparison to the chrysalis stage of butterflies. It has been also speculated that whatever natural serum is responsible for the dissolution of body structure, may in fact be the active ingredient in the dreaded ichor contained within certain Nilroggi weapons."

"Are there any questions from the floor?"
Old June 20, 2002, 10:37   #12
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Excerpt from 'Proceedings of the 10th Academy Symposium on Nilrogg physiology' - questions for the keynote lecturer

Most esteemed colleague, your research is extrememly intreaguing, especially where my study of ants are concerned. I would like a more detailed description of how our crystal resonators as weapons indeed do work in action. Although some may think it too soon, methinks a detailed description of the battle is in place, leave no detail to the imagination. This may have serious repercutions on our study of the Nilrogg and our ability to fend them off.

Particularly since it coinsides with my own research of a certain species of wasp and its own interaction with ants. Ants communicate with each other with scents. This system works similarly to what we think Nilroggs communicate, save they use high frequency noises. But the similarity is that they both can be interupted and even changed, thus causing confusion to the hoard. This wasp I speak of goes into the heart of an ant colony, completely surrounded by ants, but is not harmed by them. My studies show that it gives off a certain chemical that makes the ants not only shy away from the wasp, but attack each other! Here I believe we can modify and test this crystal resonator, as it may have similar effects if honed properly. It also might explain why they left the dead this time around. Confusion or odd orders from the sound may have caused this. We must investigate. Your thoughts?
Old June 20, 2002, 13:36   #13
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Excerpt from 'Proceedings of the 10th Academy Symposium on Nilrogg physiology' - questions for the keynote lecturer.

Ahh Marks - I am glad to see you in the audience! As always you raise some perceptive points. My congratulations on your recent appointment incidentally. I quite agree that this matter should be investigated further, and where better to start that investigation than in the company of so many outstanding natural philosophers! So without further ado, I shall recall what I can of the Guard's report. The original scroll is of course in the Library for further reference.

'The 5th Company of the Subterranean Guard were on a routine exploration mission, when they discovered a particularly large cave. The Company commander, all too aware of the possibility of ambush ordered his men into a defensive formation. And nary a moment too soon as it turned out. The battle was fierce and the good commander pays lavish tribute to his men, a good 2/3 of whom perished. Precise details of the battle are a little sketchy, unsurprisingly. Taking detailed notes when a horde of six-legged monstrosities is attempting to slaughter you, would take the self possession of a Deity. However the Commander recalls very clearly a brief high pitched noise that rapidly increased in pitch until it vanished, accompanied by a soft glow. He surmises that this was the crystal resonator in action and notes that, and I quote 'The infernal device may have driven away the Nilrogg, but it damn nearly drove me away too. It itches inside your skull - a man can hardly concentrate.'

Personally I am unfamiliar with the exact mode of action of such a device, but I believe it was an offshoot of Academy researches into Ley-line tapping. It would seem that a suitable geometric arrangement of the right crystals may tap a small thread of ley-line energy and convert it into other forms of energy. But I digress.

The effect on the Nilrogg was apparently dramatic. As the weapon charged up, they -simultaneously- turned to face the Guard operating it, with a great clicking of mandibles. After a few seconds, their effectiveness as a fighting team was severely impaired and after approximately half a minute, during which they showed increasingly erratic movements and further twitching and clicking of their mandibles, the survivors fled.

From these observations I offer two possible theories. The first is that the sound frequency emitted by the resonator was sufficient to disorient the Nilrogg, in much the same way as it affected the good Commander. In which case I think we would be well advised to find a frequency that would disable a Nilrogg but *not* our own forces. The second theory is essentially the point raised by Marks - the sound corresponded to odd or random orders in the Nilrogg language, which confused them. Their single-mindedness and lack of adaptability on the battlefield has been well documented. Personally I would take a slightly different view and say that the sound *volume* was sufficient to drown out any orders given by one Nilrogg to another, whereupon they fell back to regroup. It seems to me that the probability of the resonator output corresponding to coherent words in the Nilroggi language would be vanishingly small. Naturally the Guards were not inclined to field test my theory!

Further investigation should quite clearly be given the highest priority.
Old June 21, 2002, 17:57   #14
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

After the 'Proceedings of the 10th Academy Symposium on Nilrogg physiology' Marks converses with Yannes in the counsil chamber.

Marks: Professor, you must allow me this. I've earned it.

Yannes: I respect you for your contributions thus far, but what you are proposing is pure insanity.

Marks: Do you not have faith in my ability?

Yannes: You're only a student and have no real idea of the terror these Nilroggs posses. The only ones you've seen and contacted were dead.

Marks: But my studies of the scrolls suggest their ultimate source of being resides in a mother cave, or several mother caves depending on region. All we have to do is find the correct frequency for these resonating crystals...

Yannes: I will not have another student lost to such outlandish proposals!

Marks: But we need a natural philosopher in the field! The troops have no idea how to take notes and...

Yannes: There will be no time to take notes when you want to the most. Were you not listening? Can you not heed my voice? You were not the first to try. Several years ago, when I was still apprentice such as yourself, a friend of mine came upon a similar conclusion. He convinced the heads of the department to fund his project. I last saw him departing to the north. They say he died a gruesome death, though no one had seen it, and no one had been able to find his body. His name was Yorid. He was bright and cleaver, mabey too bright. He dug into the remnants of the scrolls even further than you yourself. He searched day and night, telling no one of his findings. But he was my friend, and that is why I can't let you go.
Old June 24, 2002, 05:12   #15
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Only a cruel, cruel person would start a topic like this while I was away. Trying to pass one over on me, eh?
Old June 24, 2002, 06:03   #16
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:50
Wish English was my first language so that I could read through all the CBR writings, but I am only making short summaries, otherwise I'd explode...
Old June 24, 2002, 10:18   #17
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Journal of Marks - The Nature of Nilroggs- Abandoned Nilrogg cave

Ares 31 - 6am

The captain had promised last night that we would be able to visit the site of the battle today, so today I actually awoke before everyone else did. How I hate early mornings, but this is too exciting. He said we were in an hour's march of the cave.

8am

Almost there. How could anyone want to eat breakfast at a time like this? The captain said something about the men this, the men that, but this expedition isn't about the men, but about scientific advancement which will benafit all peoples more than a hearty breakfast could. What a torple.

8:30am

We've arrived. Scouts cautiously check for any traces of Nilrogg return before allowing us to advance

9am

This is a most interesting discovery. Nilroggs actively draw and write upon the walls of these caves. Most drawings are of themselves, with one word written three times.

-Edit: New attachment-
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nilrogg drawing.gif
Views:	207
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	18113  

Last edited by JMarks; June 24, 2002 at 23:41.
Old June 25, 2002, 00:51   #18
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Sorry to intrude, but isn't a written language for the Nilrogg a bit of a stretch?
Old June 25, 2002, 09:02   #19
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Mongoose,

Who says its their language? I just said they wrote it. Besides, they have script on their swords so I find it no stretch of the imagination.
Old June 25, 2002, 09:49   #20
Velociryx
staff

Apologies for the delay....I'm wrestling with a fickle muse here lately....past few days have seen a total dry spell, but I'm doing all my usual remedies to fix that, and should be back in full swing soon (Random Note: The "Usual Remedies" generally include such things as skipping work, sleeping late, tequila, bombarding myself with medievally themed movies, computer games, and reading, in no particular order)

I'm liking what I'm seeing here tho....the etchings look almost exactly like what I envisioned on their hollow swords, and the resonance crystals....that's good stuff!

-=Vel=-
Old June 25, 2002, 17:06   #21
BigRich@home
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by JMarks
After the 'Proceedings of the 10th Academy Symposium on Nilrogg physiology' Marks converses with Yannes in the counsil chamber.

*snip*
Several hours later in Marks' rooms. Marks is packing.

Yannes: You still intend to see this through don't you?

Marks: Most assuredly.

Yannes: (sighs). You always were the most headstrong of my pupils. May I ask what preparations you have made?

Marks: Preparations?

Yannes: Yes, preparations. I presume for example that you are taking a resonator along?

Marks: Of course.

Yannes: Tell me - do you have any idea how to tune it? Whether it can be tuned at all? How far it can be removed from a ley-line and still function? The remotest idea of how the damned machine works at all!?

Marks: Well......

Yannes I thought not. Well I suppose these tedious small details are best left to an older and wiser head.

Marks: You mean.....?
Yannes (resignedly). Yes, me. I have spoken with the Provost and he agrees to allocate funds for my proposal. I intend to take this contraption, make a full study of it and convert it into a useful device rather than a novelty. After all - it is hardly the most portable machine as it stands.

Marks is silent.

Yannes: I am also very curious as to whether a 'reverse resonator' could be constructed. If we can transmit these high pitched sounds, might we not also receive them and convert them into an detectable form. Better yet (enthusiastically) might we not *analyse* that form should we succeed in generating it.

Marks: Analyse - you mean decipher Nilrogg speech?

Yannes: Precisely. Of course it would help very much if we could take one captive and we all know how much success we've had with that line of research. Capturing a Nilrogg, building the reverse resonator and then deciphering the Nilrogg tongue would be a minor wonder in itself - and this is always supposing that there is speech to decipher.

Marks: The site of the battle - I still maintain that there is much information to be gleaned from it.

Yannes: I have my doubts but never mind. Just remember - we have no idea what effect the resonator actually had. It may simply have scared off the Nilrogg - and they may not be as easily scared again. Remember Yorid and by all the Gods, be careful!

Marks: Alas poor Yorid. Yannes - I *will* be back, you have my word on it. And with your leave I would like to help with your new researches when I return.
Old June 25, 2002, 17:49   #22
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRich@home
Alas poor Yorid.

I like it.

Old June 26, 2002, 10:05   #23
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Journal of Marks - Nature of Nilroggs - Nilrogg cave

12 Noon:

Cave exploration has ceased for lunch. The captain was glad to get out of the cave, as his men insisted on eating outside. Such superstition! However what I have found was interesting. I must check again my findings.

1PM:

My assumption was correct. The drawings I found earlier of the Nilrogg and the script are only found near the mouth of the cave, while further in a different script and even drawing style is found. Furthermore, the more I think of first script reminds me of a strange variation of Darthmour, a language that died out by the early imperial age, and used for printing enchantments by the shamans of the western wastlands of Windomholm. How I hate triplicate alliteration. The scripts found further down seem to have some influence from the former, but are all together cursived, and probably utterly vulgarized as our own speach is. Assuming they have any connection. That may be a big leap.
Old June 26, 2002, 13:26   #24
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

I like it.

Thanks FP

Not sure if JM left that in as intentional pun fodder, but either way it was too good to pass up

Rich.
Old June 28, 2002, 22:51   #25
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Back in Barrowmer - Marks Briefing to the Counsil

Ladies and gentlemen of the Counsil, I have, as you all know now, visited the battle site and adjoining cave dwelling of the 'battle of the resonator' as I like to call it. The battlefield gave us a few swords, an exciting discovery, even though what causes the myst seems to have disapeared from them for some unknown reason. Now we have even more of their script thanks to these swords.

But my elders, this is not what was truely exciting about my escapade. The cave dwelling was a treasure trove of learning about our greatest foe. While the entrence seemed to have cerimonial drawings and texts, the living areas further in and down were strewn with cursive type lettering, markings which seemed to indicate numbers, and even emphasis using underlines and bold script. I have copied many of these down in an attempt to decypher them.

Furthermore, a nest with some eggs were found. Now it was mentioned before that a special Nilrogg carried eggs in pouches. But not much is known about them. Here is my hypothosis. Eggs are layed, and taken care of and nourished in the pouches of the Matrix, as I shall call these pouched Nilroggs. Afterward they are layed in the cave amongst all the dwellers to hatch. Indeed, these eggs I have brought back with me, and I invite anyone interested to join me and Yannes this evening as we try to penetrate one of these eggs. Remember, what we find may reverse my current theory.

As you recall, I returned a week ago. What most of you don't is that two days later I returned to the site to glean more information. Unfortunatly the camp was destroyed, and all traces of Nilrogg presense was erased from both the battle field and the dwelling. All the cave drawings were wiped out, nothing survived. Investigating the chaos, I deemed that they had arrived shortly after my departure from the area. Now I am definatly glad for the soldiers' superstitions!

Questions or comments on my overview?
Old June 30, 2002, 13:54   #26
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

"I fooking hate Nilroggs."
- Daneel
Old June 30, 2002, 14:15   #27
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

"Nilroggs do not compute."
- Spock
Old July 19, 2002, 11:12   #28
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Marks adressing the Counsil

Good counsil members, if you recall my last address to you concerning my exploration of a Nilroggi cave, you will remember I went fairly deep withing their dwelling. However, I did not note the cave water I encountered, feeling that such things were common place in caves, and of no importance.

However, I have come across some research that will make me want to reconsider this course of thought. In Cuclotran's treatise on the water cycle of Candle'bre, he stated that there were two cycles of importance, that of precipitaion/evaporation and that of springs/underwater rivers. Being as we know little of either the Nilrogg and the underground waterways, we must take advances in learning all we can about the underground passages. This to defend ourselves, lest the Nilroggi learn to swim and invade us at our very core. I also erge the counsil take extreme measures not to let theses speculations reach the public, least fear attack them and they leave our most prosperous provinces. But the imperative of research must be given as soon as possible.

Also, we will be studying the Nilrogg eggs further after the other address are complete. Since we have a few, we will be conducting various tests to attempt to hatch one of them.
Old July 20, 2002, 01:04   #29
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Response from the Counsilman Cyclotron to the "Marks Report":

In response to Marks' concerns about the Nilrogg using the underground channels against us, I would like to point out that where the lake drains, the pressure would be extremely intense as the entire weight of the water would be forcing its way through small holes. It would be physically impossible for any known creature to swim through such a torrent.

I would add, however, that our knowledge of the rock strata below the lake is nonexistent. Thus, it is likely that the drainage channels may have shifted before the cataclysm, over time, or shifted abruptly during the cataclysm.

Thus, although the current channels may be well unnavigable, these "dry channels" may provide the Nilrogg with a waypoint to safely tunnel to the surface, or even a direct connection to the surface. I would support the actions advocated by Marks.
Old August 5, 2002, 18:37   #30
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Ok, quick question Vel:

When are these conversations/records, etc taking place? Are they during out game period, before, after? Just wondering, I'd like to know, might be fodder for a story I'm starting to cook up for ya.