View Poll Results: When should we have turnchats (after Thursday)?
2000 GMT 16 48.48%
2200 GMT 17 51.52%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18, 2002, 20:28   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turnchat Times
Note, the turnchat on Thursday will be at 2000 GMT no matter what. That is not changing. This poll is for later turnchats. I'm using the most popular start times of 2000 GMT, 2200 GMT, and an option for other times.

Question:
When should we have turnchats (after Thursday)?

Options:
2000 GMT, 2200 GMT, Other

Expiration:
5 Days
Old June 18, 2002, 20:31   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
I voted 22:00 GMT, heres why for anyone on the fence.

For those of us who are anywhere west of England, many of us who work, happen to work during either of these hours. But 22:00 is closer to an EST-punch-out time. This allows the eastern coast North American citizens to join the turnchat, while still not being too unreasonable for most of Europe.

Help me if I'm wrong, but it would be annoying for those of us who dont work near a computer with an internet connection, if turnchats are consistently during working hours.
Old June 18, 2002, 20:34   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't have a real job right now, so I don't really care at the moment. Later on 22:00 GMT will be better for me though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 18, 2002, 20:54   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

It'll be easier for me to make it at 5PM EST, so I voted 2200 GMT.
Old June 19, 2002, 00:09   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yes. i voted 2200 GMT. because it's better for me.

this post brought to you by supreme military commander UberKruX. Glory Comes From Spilt Blood.

Old June 19, 2002, 00:50   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:50
I'd like to hear from the Euros first, but for NAmericans, 2200 is better all round.

For those of us who can tune in from work in an office, we mostly get the real work done earlier. Later is 'slush' time. At least that's how it works for me and most people I know.
Old June 19, 2002, 04:12   #7
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
2000! Come on! Starting the chat at midnight is absolutely not fair.

Let's compromise on 2100.
Old June 19, 2002, 07:07   #8
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:50
The problem with internet-based societies like ours is that whenever we need to do something like a turnchat that requires attendance in real time, there will always be someone who's getting screwed over because of the time differences.

Personally, I've had precisely nothing to do with the turnchats thus far, but this could change...

Anyway, if the chat starts too late at night, then chances are I won't be joining very often, since I have to get up at 6 in the morning to go to work.

Being in Norway, my time is GMT + 1 hour, or EST + 6 hours if you like.

Anyway, enough about me... this is a democracy after all, so whatever the majority wants, I guess.

I'm just saying we'll probably need to be flexible about this and change the times around every so often so that a different group of people gets a fair chance to have a say in the chats. For now I'll abstain from voting.
Old June 19, 2002, 07:20   #9
disorganizer
Prince

Local Time: 02:50
would 21 GMT have been another option in the list, i would have voted for this ;-)

anyway:
if we manage to take all major decisions out of the chat, then this will not matter.

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old June 19, 2002, 12:21   #10
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Vote for which one you want (forget compromises for now). If it's close enough, I'll simply do the compromise bit, and make it at 2100.
Old June 20, 2002, 14:26   #11
Jon Shafer

Hmmmm, how terribly close.
Old June 21, 2002, 14:11   #12
Jon Shafer

Well since it's so close as things stand (and I doubt that'll change), I'm going to make 2100 GMT as the official time, due to the fact that it's a good compromise, and it might be hard for me to play at 1pm most days (of course, 2pm may not be much better, but oh well).
Old June 21, 2002, 19:16   #13
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I would prefer 2300, but 22 is close enough

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 22, 2002, 21:45   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:50
Speaking for those few (but LOUD) of us EAST of England (12 hours East ), 2200 GMT. 10 am is soooooo much better than 8am.

8 am =

10 am = also, but at least the chance of being awake.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 24, 2002, 02:02   #15
Jon Shafer

Well the thread closed with results as I anticipated. NA says 2200. (Nearly) Everyone else wants 2000. Therefore, the compromise = 2100. That will be the official time for turnchats and intermediary turns from now on, unless changed by another poll.
Old June 24, 2002, 03:29   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:50
I agree. The Euros must be accomodated. Sorry MWIA. Look at the bright side. 9am.