Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19, 2002, 00:08   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Minority report looks freakin' amazing!
I want to see this the first week it come out for sure. And that is something for me. Because I rarely watch movies the first week they come out. I didn't see LOTR until like 3 weeks after it came out.

The short story is from the same guy who wrote short stories for Blade Runner and Total Recall. The adapted screenplay looks like it was well done.

I'm rarely excited this much about a movie. It takes many naked chicks in a movie to get me excited . And this movie has none that I know of- so it must be good.

on a side note where did all the Star Wars threads go? No one is talking about it anymore. It couldn't be that good a movie if no one is talking about it anymore. Should I see it in the theaters?
Old June 19, 2002, 00:16   #2
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 20:51
Whenever I saw the preview, the first thing I thought about was SMAC. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
Old June 19, 2002, 00:17   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
This is one of ****'s most famous and best short stories. It graces the cover of Volume 4 of The Collected Short Stories of Philip K. ****. Highly recommended. Very inventive.

Can't wait to see what Spielberg has done with it. The previews looked amazing, although the reviews haven't been uniformly glowing.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 19, 2002, 00:18   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Playa del Carmen
Whenever I saw the preview, the first thing I thought about was SMAC. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
Any secret project in particular?
Old June 19, 2002, 01:05   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:51
which reviews are you talking about?

Ebert and Roeper gave very good reviews. I don't really care for Roeper's reviews. But Ebert likes a lot of the movies I like. So I respect his reviews.
Old June 19, 2002, 01:06   #6
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
This is one of ****'s most famous and best short stories. It graces the cover of Volume 4 of The Collected Short Stories of Philip K. ****....
Ah yes, Mr. ****...

Autocensor, we love you!
Old June 19, 2002, 04:28   #7
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 18:51
I didn't know it was Phillip K. Druggie story. Maybe I will go see it after all. He sure did some good McCarthy era paranoia stuff.

REALLLL silly premise though.
Old June 19, 2002, 12:06   #8
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

btw for anyone who cares I was there at the taping of Minority Report. One day while biking around downtown DC last summer I came across a whole bunch of trailers, and a street was blocked off. I checked it out to find out that they were filming scenes from this big movie with Tom Cruise and Steven Spielburg (I don't think anyone I talked to even knew the name).

I parked my bike and looked around, they allow people to stand around in an area and watch things as they were happenng. The set was closed, but I was with some of the crew and director people (not Speilburg though, some lady) and I could see the scenes on this video screen. So when you go watch the movie and Cruise is walking/chasing/being chased through a hotel kichen you can think of me, because I was there!

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old June 19, 2002, 12:35   #9
DanS
Deity

OzzyKP: Was that what they were doing near DuPont circle?

The short story was set in New York. It is interesting that the venue for the story was changed, considering the DC murder rate. I think we could all be at least a little intrigued by this precrime system...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 19, 2002, 12:37   #10
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
I didn't like AI. It had the trademark Speilburg oversweetness and too clearly evident attempts to manipulate the viewer's sympathy.

I doubt i will like MR, since I've disliked almost every Speilburg movie.
Old June 19, 2002, 13:01   #11
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hated AI.
Old June 19, 2002, 13:44   #12
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
OzzyKP: Was that what they were doing near DuPont circle?

The short story was set in New York. It is interesting that the venue for the story was changed, considering the DC murder rate. I think we could all be at least a little intrigued by this precrime system...
No this was at some old hotel across from.. Freedom Plaza I think? It was only a few blocks from the mall. I'm sure they shot all over the city though, did you stop in when they were shooting at Dupont?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old June 19, 2002, 13:49   #13
DanS
Deity

No, I didn't. Freedom Plaza is a pretty cool place visually. I work about 3 blocks from there.
Old June 19, 2002, 13:53   #14
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm looking forward to it, though Cruise generally makes me want to puke. You can put him and Keeanu Reeves on a boat in the middle of the ocean for all I care.
Phil D ick is one of my favorite authors, if not THE favorite. I've been collecting as many classic prints of his work as I can....
It looks pretty sharp, but I do share the trepidation GP has about Spielburg...he doesn't seem to know how to "keep it all together" anymore.
Wish Ridley Scott had done it...
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old June 19, 2002, 15:54   #15
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Speilburg doing P. ****! That should be interesting. Blade Runner/androids dream of sleep was awesome. My schools library tends to suck when it comes to scifi/fantasy though.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 21, 2002, 15:14   #16
DanS
Deity

"which reviews are you talking about?"

Good... (audio)

http://apps.tvplex.go.com/ebertandth...inority_report

Bad...

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12564
Old June 21, 2002, 15:21   #17
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
I saw the trailer last Thursday. Wow. I was a little sour since I had had an idea like that a couple of years ago, but when I saw the name Philip K. Dick, I was quickly silenced.

Dick is definitely one of my favourite authors too, I've read several novels from him, but not the short story MR is based on. Do androids dream of electric sheep? was marvellous.

Edit: #/%#$€]+*% autocensor!
Old June 21, 2002, 15:39   #18
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 20:51
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
I hated AI.
[fanboy]

Tsk. You people today just don't *understand* the deep message in AI that, by rights, should bo SOOOO obvious. Thirty years from now, people will look back on AI finally understand the eternal WISDOM that shines throughout the movie!

[/fanboy]

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old June 21, 2002, 16:17   #19
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, I'm not a big movie-goer, and I sure never intended to see this movie beforehand, but so I have now. Mainly because my mom and I both had the day off and she wanted to do something, and we noticed the 4 star review by Ebert in our paper. So we watched it.

I was pretty darn impressed, myself. I have a few mild plot complaints, but they're there to make the thing work, so it's no big deal. On the whole, I'd say I liked it better than Blade Runner (although I'm not one of the people who thinks that Blade Runner was the greatest movie ever and some be-all and end-all). Certainly a 4 star movie.
Old June 21, 2002, 17:21   #20
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:51
I dunno, I can't say it really grabbed me that much from the trailer, but I suppose I will go and see it if I don't have anything better to do and people are enjoying it...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 21, 2002, 18:13   #21
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, based on the first part of your criteria, I imagine you'll be seeing it today, then?
Old June 21, 2002, 18:37   #22
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 02:51
Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
I was pretty darn impressed, myself. I have a few mild plot complaints, but they're there to make the thing work, so it's no big deal. On the whole, I'd say I liked it better than Blade Runner (although I'm not one of the people who thinks that Blade Runner was the greatest movie ever and some be-all and end-all). Certainly a 4 star movie.
I don't know, I think the game conveyed the message more effectively - the replicants in the film were too freaky and homicidal for them to be percieved as normal, persecuted people - in the game they only killed out of neccessity, in the film they kill for no good reason.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:40   #23
SnowFire
Emperor

Hmm... I wouldn't recommend people read that negative review linked, it's massivly spoilerific for starters, and secondly, I think it misses the point in a few areas. Like some plot holes he was so proud to discover actually are covered if you think about them just a wee bit more (especially his crime of passion vs. predmediated one, but I don't want to spoil the movie myself!).

My complaints are more along the lines of... well, not really a spoiler, but still select for yourselves if you want to see.
For a world that is still so "good" in terms of what America does well, it seems odd that it falls apart so completely for pre-crime. I mean, stopping murders before they happen is a good thing, but immediate lockup in stasis? No trial?!? No lawsuits?! I mean, sure, it would make for a vastly different movie if Cruise decided not to run and stick it out and sue pre-crime, but come on. Besides, I don't care if the precrime is murder, these things are worse than our worst solitary confinement jails where at least you can move, read books, etc. Considering the general enlightenment, why such draconian punishments? I mean, sure, the ideal for precrime would be just stop the person and if pre-mediated, see if a standard case for attempted murder can be pulled together, and if a crime of passion, just let 'em calm down and no nned for any jail time at all. But the stasis things are just really extreme.

Last edited by SnowFire; June 21, 2002 at 18:51.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:43   #24
Provost Harrison
Deity

On some colour schemes SnowFire, that is incredibly easy to read

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 21, 2002, 18:49   #25
SnowFire
Emperor

That would be because red jon posted his completely incomprehensible statement before I got it in- I thought I would be in a white screen, and because of the extra post am now in a far more annoying grey post area.
Old June 21, 2002, 18:57   #26
Provost Harrison
Deity

I can still read it, albeit not as comfortably

Old June 21, 2002, 19:00   #27
Provost Harrison
Deity

I'll try and speak in vague terms SnowFire

I see your point though, the impetus of such a society should be reform, and asking why the person would commit such an act, not punishing them for something they haven't done...

Old June 21, 2002, 19:05   #28
DanS
Deity

Snowfire: I might add that this is not addressed in the short story either. It was addressed merely from the bureaucratic struggle angle (one department fighting another). Further, like many **** short stories, this is a post-near appocalyptic war society, so the erosion of personal liberties is just part of the fabric, and need not be addressed. It might seem like a cop out (), but it is a good device to sidestep these kinds of "real world" issues.
Old June 21, 2002, 20:04   #29
SnowFire
Emperor

DanS: Hmm. It'd be interesting to try and read the |)ick short story (Ming: This is justifiable, right?). Was it entitled "Minority Report" as well? If it was, there pretty much goes my chances of finding it online... every search will turn up movie stuff. Oh well, there's a public library nearby.

Anyway, the world of MR in the movie is actually quite nifty. Not quite Star Trek level of silly happiness, but a pretty good version of the future. So that's why I wondered about the disconnect between the world and the precrime program at the beginning of the movie.

And PH, generally it's pretty obvious why they commit the act, considering the kind of evidence they get. It's just that for quite a lot of crimes, there really wouldn't be any need for punishment at all, just a calming down period and a reminder that the police will be keeping a very close eye on them over the next few days.

There are some more specific things I could say concerning the last 1/10 or so of the movie, but again, they need to be there to make the plot move, so I forgive 'em.
Old June 21, 2002, 20:41   #30
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

A bit off topic, but I think that The Man In The High Castle would make an excellent movie.
Actually, can't think of too many that wouldn't....though they really massacred Screamers....what a piece of tripe that was...