Old June 19, 2002, 05:06   #1
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 03:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should we have an honours system ?
I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we could have a system of reward for citizens who over time significantly contribute to the life of our nation in a big way.

Special rewards could be made to citizens who suggest a strategy (not considered, but accepted) which prooves to be critical to our success in

Military
Economic
Cultural

terms..

Maybe the honours can be handed out by the leadership when such a citizen becomes obvious, or suggested by any citizen.

Citizens could wear their honours in there sig or title

What do you think ?
Old June 19, 2002, 05:14   #2
disorganizer
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
im pro to it.
other honour ideas:

General matters:
For all matters generally in favor of the game, like forum work, organizational work etc. which do not fall in the other categories

Out-Of-Nation Award:
We will also need an award for non-citizens.

A Hall of fame could be implemented.

Also, in the Honour Medals we will need a ranking system. Example: Let the military medal be the "shot star". Citizen A did something good in military aspect (won a big battle), but Citizen B did something even bigger (like reorganized our military, defended a major attack and then won a whole campaign). Citizen A should have the medal for example in bronze as Citizen B should have it for example in gold.

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old June 19, 2002, 05:35   #3
The Viceroy
Prince

All it needs is for somebody from the Leadership group to get something formal agreed, so that we all know how to suggest a person for an honour, and we know what honours are actually available.
Old June 19, 2002, 05:41   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by disorganizer
im pro to it.
other honour ideas:

General matters:
For all matters generally in favor of the game, like forum work, organizational work etc. which do not fall in the other categories

Out-Of-Nation Award:
We will also need an award for non-citizens.

A Hall of fame could be implemented.

Also, in the Honour Medals we will need a ranking system. Example: Let the military medal be the "shot star". Citizen A did something good in military aspect (won a big battle), but Citizen B did something even bigger (like reorganized our military, defended a major attack and then won a whole campaign). Citizen A should have the medal for example in bronze as Citizen B should have it for example in gold.
I agree with honour system, but I don't think we should have different levels of honours. I'm not very fond of *ANYTHING* that classifies one citizen over another.

Yes, citizens who have done something significant should be recognized. But IMO, we should just have an "honorary citizen award".
Old June 19, 2002, 06:12   #5
The Viceroy
Prince

I think giving honours to your citizens enriches the experience of citizenship ..

I think honours are acceptable, as long as they are seen by all to be deserved .. and in that way, what is an honour to receive doesn't underpin an elitist society .. where a inner circle of people have more say that others, based on the fortune of being given an award in the past.
Old June 19, 2002, 07:16   #6
disorganizer
Prince

So i interpret you post as:
A honour-system is good, if polls are held wheter a citizen is given a special honour?

Well, i saw this implemented somewhere (i forgot where ;-) ).
A nomination-Thread, where any1 could nominate any citizen for a honour (list of possible honours was provided in 1st post). Then, the honour-responsible person started a vote on the issue (like "should we award xyz the honour abc?" yes/no/abstain). The reason why the citizen should have this honour should be included in the 1st post of the poll and in the nomination.

Old June 19, 2002, 07:59   #7
The Viceroy
Prince

I think thats a fair system, it will allow any citizen to suggest an individual and vote for the level of award ..
Old June 19, 2002, 08:57   #8
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Polls might be a little too much. I say let some government body give the award. If people don't like their choices, then they'd get voted out. We'd have to watch for corruption though. Corruption might be less than with polls though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 19, 2002, 09:01   #9
disorganizer
Prince

why? we wont award too many citizens (hopefully, as will will otherwise run out of awards).
so if we have 1 more poll per week? does it matter?

Old June 19, 2002, 09:24   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
People might just vote for their friends. You don't have to give reasons when you are voting in polls. A government body would have to explain its decisions.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 19, 2002, 10:14   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51
Re: Should we have an honours system ?
Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we could have a system of reward for citizens who over time significantly contribute to the life of our nation in a big way.

Special rewards could be made to citizens who suggest a strategy (not considered, but accepted) which prooves to be critical to our success in

Military
Economic
Cultural

terms..

Maybe the honours can be handed out by the leadership when such a citizen becomes obvious, or suggested by any citizen.

Citizens could wear their honours in there sig or title

What do you think ?
hi ,

, okay , but how could it be implemented , ...

have a nice day
Old June 19, 2002, 10:44   #12
The Viceroy
Prince

That was why I raised the thread Panag, to get people's idea's ..

I don't think such a thing should be common at all, award only when something worthy of an honour is completed.

I see your point Apocalypse, im not so certain what would be the best way , I guess simple is best ..

Last thing I want to see is an award a week .. and that is my concern, that there is no value in it ..

Its certainly a good idea to hold the leadership team responsible .. maybe we can petition them to consider an individual via polls ... but let them officially recognise an individual.

Also, what kind of awards would be best decided at the top also.
Old June 19, 2002, 11:03   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51
hi ,

, a cap , read medal for meritious service ...
a t-shirt for cultural victory in 2000 , ...

should it be something like that , .....

have a nice day
Old June 19, 2002, 11:09   #14
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 22:51
i dont like this idea. the only people who really make a difference in the game are ministers. they already have something to flaunt. it is an honor to be elected to a position, even if you win in a landslide over a fruit. . also, if there were several different kinds of awards, dont you think that in the long run, like a year, you would have 5 people with EVERY award that we have made up?

Old June 19, 2002, 20:56   #15
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Re: Re: Should we have an honours system ?
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, okay , but how could it be implemented , ...

have a nice day

First of all, we'd have to elect a commitee. Because the government would not be politically independent and so not fit for this task. Actually, we shouldn't put any additional tasks upon them. This commitee could consist of 5 elected members, and could pick one citizen each week who has contributed most to:
1. the cause of democracy
2. strategic progress/planning
3. description and upgrades to the society.

3 pillars which this commitee is to be responsible for following, when they make a decision per PM.

Ok, we could post a poll on this to happen.
Any views at this moment?
Old June 20, 2002, 05:39   #16
The Viceroy
Prince

Although there may well be a place for an honours list based per week/month or whatever, I was thinking more of a system which gives awards only when something quite outstanding is acheived .. eg .. CitizenX suggests a military tactic not thought of yet, which not only convinces everybody, but goes on to save our buts/win the war .. or maybe halfway though, we may discover that a innocent idea earlier on in the game, turned out to be crucial .. the suggestor would be honoured ..

Id expect these things to come along a few times within a single game ..

A weekly honours list could act as promoting a status .. a bit like our dearly beloved -- Settler/Cheiftan/Warlord/Prince etc ... but It maybe should not be kind of Honour I was originally thinking of.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:58   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

I say we keep it informal. For example, someone creates a poll asking whether or not this person should get an honor award etc.
Old June 20, 2002, 13:33   #18
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i say we keep it simple if someone does something very good, well thats great, vote for them in the next election. if a minister does something outstanding, well thats why we voted for them. re-elect them next term!

HONOURS: