View Poll Results: Shall we get War Techs?
Yes. get the wheel. 8 24.24%
Yes. get warrior code. 6 18.18%
Yes. get iron working. 6 18.18%
no. you're going to fight with warriors and you're going to like it. 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19, 2002, 14:02   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SMCs plea to the people
the Supreme Military Commander is bringing his plea directly to the people. Your Science Minister, Tassadar, plans to research bronze working and then many many non-military related techs.

to quote him from a live chat last night,

Quote:
Uber, You're getting defense first, and offense much later
so i bring my case to the loyal Apolytonians. As war minister i would like to see SOME KIND of offensive weapon. i recommend getting the wheel, because we have grassland around us, and that is where horses thrive. there are no strategic or luxury resours around us, so there is a good chance that a few horses are running around. there is no chance of us getting iron any time soon, unless we find some mountains or hills.

"we're in a jungle uber krux, you moron!" yea i hear you. with a few more workers Eli and the gang could carve out a path (if we find a way out that is).

we could also get warrior code and smack it do them with archers, ignoring the jungle tiles for now, but the UU will give us a golden age and a great advantage over the enemy (unless we bump into rome or greece).

it is your call. you have 2 days.
Old June 19, 2002, 14:05   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:53
Being that I feel our main concern at the moment is getting out of the jungle/getting rid of the jungle, I abstain for now, as I have no opinion either way.
Old June 19, 2002, 14:11   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I voted no.
Currently, because of our geographic location, finding horses and iron is VERY unlikely. Horses thrive in grasslands, but also plains... There are 32 horses spots on the whole huge map (25600 tiles), so finding horses newt to us would be a miracle. Iron working and the wheel are utterly useless then. And archers won't be of any use : how will we fight efficiently with archers against swordsmen ?
But, peaceful techs lead us to one thing : mapmaking. And we'll probably be saved once we'll expand to more welcoming territory.
I'm not fond of voting no, because our situation doesn't allow us to research useless techs.
Old June 19, 2002, 14:16   #4
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

even though i said iron working, I have reconsidered nd know think the wheel is the way to go. Hopefully we can get this and then can explore faster and get other techs, so think of the wheel as an investment.
Old June 19, 2002, 14:48   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
Hmmm. I looked for a report by Tass, but couldn't find one (at least not a recent thread started by him).

What are we researching now, and how long to get it?
Old June 19, 2002, 14:58   #6
jdd2007
NationStates
King

the hawk party backs uber up. we demand the wheel!
Old June 19, 2002, 15:02   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i promise you, if you get me the wheel, we WILL find horses. i swear on my title as SMC. if we do not find horses i will not run for re election and you can fill my position with whatever panzie ass tree hugger you want.

i also promise you that if you clear out a path in the jungle, we shall kill thr fiest civ we meet.

this post brought to you by supreme military commander UberKruX. Glory Comes From Spilt Blood.

Old June 19, 2002, 15:04   #8
jdd2007
NationStates
King

its a dog-eat-dog world. what happens if we find another civ in 10 turns? what if they turn hostile? we need to be prepared.
Old June 19, 2002, 15:05   #9
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Being that I feel our main concern at the moment is getting out of the jungle/getting rid of the jungle, I abstain for now, as I have no opinion either way.
That statement fits nicely to your current avatar, president.

I support the SMC. But I prefer Warrior code. Archers are cheaper than horsemen, have the same combat stats, but don't need resources. And they move through the jungle as fast as horsemen would. The Wheel would be pointless for the start, as Chariots aren't jungle going. And we can't rely on the presence of horses on that tiny green spot we have.
Old June 19, 2002, 15:09   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

That statement fits nicely to your current avatar, president.

I support the SMC. But I prefer Warrior code. Archers are cheaper than horsemen, have the same combat stats, but don't need resources. And they move through the jungle as fast as horsemen would. The Wheel would be pointless for the start, as Chariots aren't jungle going. And we can't rely on the presence of horses on that tiny green spot we have.
archers arent cheaper than war chariots, and they have the same a.d, and double m.

only problem is clearing the jungle.

this is where the bold are forged my friend. if we dont find horses you can do what you want with me. i'll play defensive until i'm voted out. if we find horses, you must clear me a path to atttack.

this post brought to you by supreme military commander UberKruX. Glory Comes From Spilt Blood.

Old June 19, 2002, 15:11   #11
arkanjuca
Settler

Local Time: 23:53
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
its a dog-eat-dog world. what happens if we find another civ in 10 turns? what if they turn hostile? we need to be prepared.
And if?

They aways turn hostile...

Being researching some military tech can bring some respect to us and the posibility of taking away some barbarians too...
Old June 19, 2002, 15:49   #12
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Well, we don't want to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. But we can't overdo it. I say we should try to alternate-- every second or third advance (maybe fourth) should be military.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:35   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Well, we don't want to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. But we can't overdo it. I say we should try to alternate-- every second or third advance (maybe fourth) should be military.
all i want is the wheel for now. after that they can dive for literature if they want
Old June 19, 2002, 16:36   #14
Harovan
staff

The Wheel in the mid of jungle, with no knowledge if we have horses or not. Good choice, indeed.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:37   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
The Wheel in the mid of jungle, with no knowledge if we have horses or not. Good choice, indeed.
trust in krux. i know civ3, and there HAS to be AT LEAST 1 horse in our area.

Old June 19, 2002, 16:38   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

and i would suggest an archer gambit, but they're gettign bronze first, which will eat a lot of time.

i doubt they'll build barracks as well.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:43   #17
Harovan
staff

Good luck SMC. You have my sympathy. Alas, there was not much of a choice in the Science advisor poll. Tassadars opponent was an even worse peacenick.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:44   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

This is why we have political parties my war-loving friends. Get your friends in office, and then it's easier to get things the way you want them.
Old June 19, 2002, 17:16   #19
arkanjuca
Settler

Local Time: 23:53
off topic
Sorry americans, but this avatar realy s.u.c.k....

This is the worst presidente i have ever seen to control the USA....

Argh...
Old June 19, 2002, 18:15   #20
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Wheels would be useless out here, and iron we wont find in the jungle. If anything offensive i'd say warrior code except that i dont think we'd be taking a war on the offensive in this situation

So i vote no. There is no shame in fighting a defensive war, especially if you win it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 19, 2002, 18:17   #21
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

If I vote yes (warrior code), when will we research it? Right after bronze working?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 19, 2002, 18:55   #22
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I say go for the wheel. We are losing precious turns with the jungle. We need fast units to be able to explore once they get out of the jungle. We are unable to do that with simple archers.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 19, 2002, 19:38   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

Uber's right, the probability is that we will find horses, so I'll go with The Wheel.