Old June 19, 2002, 16:00   #1
ShredZ
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Imagining MP difficulties.
Ive been reading almost every post in the Strategy Forum today (work is slow), and I came to realize, like everyone else Im sure, how challenging MP will be. Im sure the ppl that play Civ2MP already know, but I think Im just realizing how hard and different it will be to attack a human player. Im more of the 'builder' type guy myself so I find myself constantly thinking defense.

Imagine a human dropping off 50 units, so I bring over my 20 artillery, damaging some of his troops and ships, using Cruise missles to finish off the transports. Moving troops from all over to conglomerate in and around the city being threatened. Having all 20 artillery get defensive shots as they attack. Without having an insanly massive attacking force, the only thing I can see coming from an attack of anything less would be a couple terrain improvements being destroyed no?

Anyone play Civ2MP, how do things like this turn out?
Old June 19, 2002, 16:02   #2
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What kind of multiplayer will be supported? Will there be hotseat or PBEM?
Old June 19, 2002, 16:10   #3
ShredZ
Chieftain

"Sid Meier's Civilization III: Play The World will include three different Internet and LAN game styles, including turn-based, simultaneous, and for the first time in a Civilization game, a turnless mode. Civilization game fans around the world can now face off in short, fast-paced games like Elimination, Regicide and Capture the Flag or play a more traditional Civilization-style game; in addition the expansion will support "Play by Email" and Hotseat games and will include multiplayer scenario support."
Old June 19, 2002, 16:48   #4
YuMMz
Settler

I played quite a bit of Civ2MP, but comparing civ3 to civ2 is very tough. The game sshould be quite a bit different when you consider the resource aspect and the lack of wonder rushing (which was insanely huge in Civ2MP). The other thing that will drastically change the game is no more diplomat rushing (buying their cities and stealing their techs) nothing is gayer than getting 2-3 techs ahead to have them ship over a transport of diplomats and using your railroads hit 3 cities in the same turn and steal 3 techs ugh... Thank god that has been removed.

Well I am way off topic, to answer your question attacking is not as hard as you make it out to be, granted landing on a different continent will be a little more challenging but odds are pretty good that you will not have 20 artillery in every city and human opponents are going to know this. Razing is going to be huge in Civ3MP and will be very frustrating too. Just waiting until someone sneak attacks your 14-16 pop city and razes it.... ouch. Also your cruise missle tactic will not come into play until way late in the game. Every civ2 game I played ended well before that point. There is quite a bit of early age attacking and with the UU aspect of Civ3 I forsee even more early attacking. I think PTW will be a blast and cannot wait, I just hope they do quite a bit of improving to Free Capital movement, Flipping Army disappearance and espionage.
Old June 19, 2002, 16:58   #5
ShredZ
Chieftain

Ya, Im glad for the changes from Civ2 to Civ3 like the tech stealing - I had a game of Civ1 the other day and I was pissed the Alexander kept stealing my techs, he stole Automobile and he was still using Knights, how does someone steal Automobile when they dont know about combustion yet?! >:[

Anyways, good points.

"odds are pretty good that you will not have 20 artillery in every city"
I was assuming RR was in place and artillery could shuffle around the map to get there. But if you say most games are over by then...

And can you imagine having taken yer enemies city, placed yer 50 troops inside and then have it flip!? I swear I would hit the power button on my puta if my entire army went *poof*.

Yes, resources are definitely gonna be on everyones 'hit list', more than even the AI try for it im sure...
Old June 19, 2002, 17:10   #6
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:53
Just a quick response to YummZ - there's no reason a group can't decide beforehand whether or not razing a city is acceptable. I would prefer to keep the razing option in, as frustrating (and unrealistic) as it might be to experience on the losing end.
Old June 19, 2002, 17:12   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
Leave all options checked.