View Poll Results: What Advance Should We Research Next?
Iron Working (Swordsmen) 6 9.09%
Alphabet (Required for Mathematics and Writing) 22 33.33%
Pottery (Granaries) (Required for Map Making) 5 7.58%
The Wheel (War Chariot) (Required for Horseback Riding) 16 24.24%
Warrior Code (Archers) (Required for Horseback Riding, Monarchy) 6 9.09%
Mysticism (The Oracle) (Required for Polytheism) 0 0%
Banana (Abstain) 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20, 2002, 03:18   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unofficial Poll: What Advance Should We Research Next?
(This poll expires in five days. Current date is Thrusday, Jine 20 at 1:35 AM US Mountain Time)

Just wondering what the people are wanting at this current moment.

We are currently researching "Bronze Working", which should be done in about 22 turns. After which, we will get the Spearman unit which has 2 defense, one offense, one movement.

I recommend researching Alphabet. Although having no benifits in itself, Alphabet opens the door for both Mathematics and Writing. Although Mathematics provides some benifits (the catipult, and opens the door for currency and is required for construction) writing is truely a gem. Not only does it open the door for Literature, Code of Laws, Philosophy, and Map Making, it allows us to establish embassies with other countries which is required for making certain treaties (which come up later).

UberKrux and Apocalypse also had a suggestion: The Wheel. At first I was completly against it, but after sitting down and thinking about it, it actually may be a viable option. It provides us with the horsemen, a powerful fast attacking unit with a 2 attack, 1 defense, 2 movement rating. This would certainly be benefical to our military counquests which will no doubt be required during a war. However, there is a downside: This unit requires the horses strategic resource. Horses do not appear in jungle so therefore there is a small chance that we will NOT have horses. But again, there is a chance of it and if there are horses near us, we will gain access to a powerful unit. An arguement for this is that there is always a strategic resource near you. But, I still stand by Alphabet. However, this is my second most recommended option.

There is also another advance for warmongers. Iron Working would allow us access to the swordsmen which cannot be upgraded, however, it has a 3.2.1 Attack/Defense/Movement. This would allow us to defend our cities and launch attacks against other Civilizations. However again, there is a chance that we do not have access to the iron strategic resource. In my games, there is less of a chance of Iron appearing than there is horsemen. A big gamble with this advance, however, it does open the door to construction.

Pottery I strongly recommend against because the benefits of this advance are very questionable. The Granary, while improving growth, will open up unhappiness problems which we may not want or be able to deal with at this time. It does allow us to research Map Making (if writing has already been researched) however it's benefits are questionable as well. Map Making is almost useless if were not on an island, however, depending on our position the harbor city improvement could be useful.

Warrior Code is another advance I am not fond of researching because the Archer simply does not have enough benefits to research it. Yes, it does have a 2.1.1 A/D/M, but compared to the War Chariot's 2.1.2....This should be put off for last. It opens the door for Monarchy and Horseback Riding.

Mysticism allows us to build the Oracle. This (I believe) doubles the effect of temples in all cities. This would take care of unhappiness problems although that's the only benefit it has. It's next advance, Polytheism, provides nothing but is required for Monarchy, the first (out of two) warmongering governments.

Remember that because this decision is very far away, this poll is unofficial and has no bearing on what we will research next. Just wanting the peoples opinion in order to formulate my plans.

Last edited by Nubclear; June 20, 2002 at 03:42.
Old June 20, 2002, 03:26   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I suggest we make the decision in 20 turns when we know what lays on the other side of the banana expanse.

If it is coast. MAP MAKING NOW!

If it is good land, the Wheel.
Old June 20, 2002, 03:27   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If it is good land then coast...
Old June 20, 2002, 03:47   #4
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:54
Warrior code, if it's good land. The Wheel (War Chariots) would need a road through the whole jungle, which takes looong even as industrious civ. For Horseback Riding (Horsemen are jungle going, unlike WC's) we would need both Warrior code and The Wheel, so if we discover Warrior code first, we'd have a jungle-going and non resource depending attacker meanwhile.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:02   #5
notyoueither
Deity

Unless we jump.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:14   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

To those of you whom are voting for pottery: Can you at least tell us why? I'm confused as to why anyone would vote pottery unless they wanted to get to Map Making faster.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:18   #7
notyoueither
Deity

KruX will croak when he sees this. I am right now.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:22   #8
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:54
I trust you, Tassadar.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 20, 2002, 04:23   #9
PresidentMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:54
I vote Iron Working. With our UU out of action due to all the jungle, swordsmen are our next best bet in terms of offensive warfare. With swordsmen we can defend our empire plus blackmail rival civs into giving us maps, money and technology (just before we throw them onto the trash heap of history).

Alphabet would be my second choice: it opens the way to a number of scientific advances. But if we research iron working (and hopefully get lucky enough to find a nearby iron deposit) we might be able to quickly blackmail alphabet out of a rival. That's the advantage of IW: it takes awhile to develop, but once you've got it you can use it to get caught up in the tech race.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:23   #10
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

In spite of the minister's recommendations, I voted for pottery because the growth benefits of the granary will allow us to produce more workers and settlers faster. This will aid our early expansion, which will in turn help us get the other techs sooner.

However, I will also support alphabet.

Last edited by Guardian; June 20, 2002 at 04:29.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:28   #11
notyoueither
Deity

How many who have voted have played emporer?

Sorry to be elitist, but...

This ain't civ 2.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:30   #12
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

This ain't civ 2.
Wise words, but the wind will blow them away unheard, I fear .
Old June 20, 2002, 04:30   #13
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I strongly recommand we use this vote as a reference for our tech planning, rather than the others. It's the one which gives all choices, and whose question and answers aren't rigged at all. This poll is undoubtedly the most democratic one on the issue.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:33   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Please, do not tie Tass to the outcome.

First of all. We do not yet know enough to make a good decision. Another 10 turns are required (or so).

We are all running off half cocked, because none of us can wait for the next turns.

Many things are premature.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:36   #15
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I haven't played Emperor... But how come?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 20, 2002, 04:39   #16
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

This ain't civ 2.
I know it isn't Civ II. I also haven't played Civ III on the Emperor level yet. (Just beat the @#$?! out of it on Regent though...)

The granary-thing may be somewhat premature, but I said I'd also support alphabet.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:47   #17
notyoueither
Deity

The thing about 3 is it plays out completely differently on the different levels.

What seems to work on Monarch or Regent, you don't have time for at Emp or Deity.

REX is the only sure bet at higher levels. However, all we can do is REX into a swamp!

To be honest, I do not know any players who can win in any and all given starts at Emp or Deity. That includes Aeson if that means anything to you.

We have an absolute crap start. We must be very careful. We must not jump ahead of ourselves. Otherwise we may be entertaining Immortals in our capitol before 1000 BC. Or, we'll get off our island in galleys in time to see the Greeks floating by in Caravels.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:56   #18
Harovan
staff

notyoueither is right. Despite of rare exceptions, you can't win Emperor as a peaceful builder. And Regent strategies lead on Emperor to a certain defeat. If that is what you want, go ahead.
Old June 20, 2002, 05:11   #19
Zarg
Settler

i do play civ3 on emperor and in most cases i win as peaceful builder. of course not if i start off from a really bad starting position.
but its not really clear for now if this starting position is really that bad. we dont know if its an island and where the jungle ends and what's behind.
so lets wait with this poll 20 turns and we will see clearer.
Old June 20, 2002, 05:16   #20
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarg
i do play civ3 on emperor and in most cases i win as peaceful builder. of course not if i start off from a really bad starting position.
but its not really clear for now if this starting position is really that bad. we dont know if its an island and where the jungle ends and what's behind.
so lets wait with this poll 20 turns and we will see clearer.
I'd just like to remind everyone that this is an unofficial poll. I simply want to know the mindset of the people at this moment.
Old June 20, 2002, 08:46   #21
Nym
Prince

I never played on Emperor level (still improving my skills at Monarch), but I think wheel would be useful to locate horse resources.
Old June 20, 2002, 08:52   #22
The Thing
Settler

I vote for warroir code. With the archer we can attack our enemies early, when they are more vulnerable to attack. With archers we dont need iron and horses.

If we have conquered some cities with archers we can make peace for techs like the wheel. Then we can switch to war chariots or swordmen as offensive weapons.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:09   #23
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I agree with Zarg,

I banana'd.... its really to early...I like the Aplhabet next, because it does lead to MapMaking which we may need, however, we could be on the tip of a large land mass and then MapMaking ain't so necessary yet. Maybe we need the Spearman....if the Romans or Banana Vampires or some other militant group are beyond the Jungle. Maybe its a two headed monster with reincarnations of Allen Dulles and J. Edgar Hoover, and then we better build swordsman to chop off their heads.

...who knows yet.

Lets repoll in 10 or 20 turns.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:31   #24
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:54
We need our War Chariots.
Old June 20, 2002, 12:14   #25
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Abstain. As others have said, this isn't the time to make that decision... we have another 20 turns.
Old June 20, 2002, 13:09   #26
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

On emperor level it is often better not to waste money on research in ancient times. Instead money should be saved to buy the techs from other civ's.

I am quite disappointed that our science advisor did not add this possibility to the poll and our president did not interfere. It makes you doubt whether they are the right people for the job.

PS: Sorry, could not resist to add the last alinea.
Old June 20, 2002, 13:15   #27
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

What do you think there's an 'abstain' option for.
Old June 20, 2002, 13:25   #28
jdd2007
NationStates
King

ha! the wheel has pulled even with alphabet!
Old June 20, 2002, 13:38   #29
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Franses
It makes you doubt whether they are the right people for the job.

this post brought to you by supreme military commander UberKruX. Glory Comes From Spilt Blood.

Old June 20, 2002, 14:08   #30
The Thing
Settler

I agree with franses. After i get the techs to build the appropriate offensive unit i set research on 10% in ancient times. Techs i get from negotiating peace treaties, when my troops conquer enemy cities.