Old June 20, 2002, 21:59   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SMC Report: 3300 BC

Heil Apolyton. Your Beloved Supreme Military Commander Has Prepared a Report for You.

(this is a multi-post report)

Citizens of Apolyton, I come not with good words about our military status.

We are weak, plain and simple. The Military Advisor in the game had this to say:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ministers.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	17780  
Old June 20, 2002, 22:01   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

on top of that, the demographics concur.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	democraphics.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	17781  
Old June 20, 2002, 22:02   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

After carefully studying our suitation, i suggest the following moves for our units:

(the left says 3 moves, the ight says 5 moves)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	moves.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	17782  
Old June 20, 2002, 22:04   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:57
Look on the bright side, at least we have the lowest pollution.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:04   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

sorry if it's blurry, apparently apolyton doesnt like anything over 600 pixels

anyway, i believe that these moves will be the best possible.

the warrior in the west will look for the french capital, Paris, which will set up possibilites for an invasion. if everyone agrees that is.

right now exploration is important. we need to see what we have to deal with before we attack.

(MORE SOON, HOLD)
Old June 20, 2002, 22:05   #6
Il Duce
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:57
Very Disturbing
This outlook is highly uncomfortable, you our great SMC needs to take achieve your goals with minimal impediment. Support your SMC in the polls!
Old June 20, 2002, 22:14   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: SMC Report: 3300 BC
Actually, maybe we should research "Warrior Code"....See thread for details.

Last edited by Nubclear; June 21, 2002 at 06:25.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:17   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I want a picture for meeeeeee.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:20   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

I have developed a plan to smite the French, but i need the support of several (resisting) offices.

as i have stated before, our best bet is to get the wheel.

i'm fairly confident our voices have been heard, and i'm quite hopeful we get the wheel ASAP.

if we do get the wheel, i propose Eli and his Public works ministry road or clear the following tree line.

not only will it allow our fierce war chariots to engage in a war with the french, if he chooses to clear it, it will provide a line of grassland to plant cities near, making another river city possible, as well as others.

IF WE CHOOSE TO ROAD, NOT CLEAR
Sir Ralph says it takes 5 turns for an industrious civ to road a jungle square, so if we double up it'll be 2 or 3 turns per tile, times seven tiles, 14 or 21 turns before a full scalre war is possible.

if we dont double up, it's 35 turns to road it.

roading it would allow us to move the chariots across in almost 1 turn.

i believe it takes 12 turns to chop down a jungle. so if we CHOP, and then ROAD each of the 7 squares with 2 workers, it should only take (6 for chopping + 1 for Roading) * 7 squares = 49 turns.

keep in mind i'm not Eli, i'm not the PW minister, i'm not even in CTED. i'm the war minister stating what i would like to see. it's eli's call, and i don't want to see people flaming him, and other people claimging im ruining the game and undermining authorities.

again, i'm just stating whats best for my department.

thank you my fellow apolytonians.

this report brought to you by supreme military commander UberKruX. Glory Comes From Spilt Blood.

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	jungle.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	17785  
Old June 20, 2002, 22:23   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

trip, duh:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	cleo.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	17787  
Old June 20, 2002, 22:26   #11
Jon Shafer

Old June 20, 2002, 22:27   #12
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Hmm.... if we were to get the wheel INSTEAD of bronze working, we could jump start our golden age which would get us through to alphabet and writing literature faster... Now might even be a good time for a war, as no other civs have contact with us yet to ally with the french. Ach well, i'm not the Minister of anything, merely a reporter, and a very confused reporter at that.

Edit/Correction: this would work assuming we have horseys nearbye Apolyton.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 20, 2002, 22:32   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Chandragupta
Hmm.... if we were to get the wheel INSTEAD of bronze working, we could jump start our golden age which would get us through to alphabet and writing literature faster... Now might even be a good time for a war, as no other civs have contact with us yet to ally with the french. Ach well, i'm not the Minister of anything, merely a reporter, and a very confused reporter at that.

Edit/Correction: this would work assuming we have horseys nearbye Apolyton.
Were only a few turns away from Bronze Working.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:42   #14
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Were only a few turns away from Bronze Working.
And if we were to switch to the wheel we could get it now, then we could let Uber have his rampage while simultaneously boosting science economy and everything else via the golden age assuming we had horses. But then again, I only play regent level for fun so I'm not the expert here, the experts would be you, Uber, and the rest of the cabinet.
I'm just saying it might be a good compromise since the consensus seems to be that a military tech would be ok before going for the glibrary. I always ignore the tech tree, leave taxes at 90 or 80 % (b/c any science above 10 or 20% doesnt change the time it takes fora tech) and beeline for Literature. If i dont get the glibrary, then i get some other wonder and i can buy the techs i need to survive.
As I said before, you are the experts.

May the Empire live forever!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 20, 2002, 22:43   #15
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Chandragupta

And if we were to switch to the wheel we could get it now, then we could let Uber have his rampage while simultaneously boosting science economy and everything else via the golden age assuming we had horses. But then again, I only play regent level for fun so I'm not the expert here, the experts would be you, Uber, and the rest of the cabinet.
I'm just saying it might be a good compromise since the consensus seems to be that a military tech would be ok before going for the glibrary. I always ignore the tech tree, leave taxes at 90 or 80 % (b/c any science above 10 or 20% doesnt change the time it takes fora tech) and beeline for Literature. If i dont get the glibrary, then i get some other wonder and i can buy the techs i need to survive.
As I said before, you are the experts.

May the Empire live forever!
Um, when you switch from, say Bronze Working to The Wheel, you lose your progress and have to start over....
Old June 20, 2002, 22:47   #16
Chandragupta
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Um, when you switch from, say Bronze Working to The Wheel, you lose your progress and have to start over....
...oops... it didnt used to be that way in earlier games...Yes well, this is why you're the expert science minister and i'm a very confused reporter .
Old June 20, 2002, 22:48   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yes, we would lose the research, and it's not worth it.

i have no problem finishing bronze workign first.

and, if Eli should accept my plans for the jungle (a BIG if), we'll have more than enough time to get the wheel and build up a large army of chariots.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:54   #18
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

If you are going to clear the jungle, it's best to go diagonally and not in a straight line. Same number of squares for movement, but offers more grassland for future city sites. And possibly two avenues of attack.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:56   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
If you are going to clear the jungle, it's best to go diagonally and not in a straight line. Same number of squares for movement, but offers more grassland for future city sites. And possibly two
avenues of attack.
how does going diagonally make more tiles?

and even if it did, more grassland tiles = more time to clear.

again, i'm not the Public Works guy i'm showing what i need to make war
Old June 20, 2002, 22:56   #20
Chandragupta
Warlord

Roads are good. They made the real Roman Empire stong, and they can do the same for Apolyton as well. Uber's plan sounds like it may be worth considering

Tassadar, thanks for pointing out my idiotic statement. Maybe I should go play civ3 some more... make myself a despot and reign without a beauracracy?
Old June 21, 2002, 06:00   #21
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:57
A road takes ways too long. The French will grow too strong meanwhile, I assure you. Do you wish to face Pikemen in Paris, Uber? And if we use our workers to build that road, we can not improve the completely useless city of Thebes (temp name), thus halving our production. And think about the fact, that a single exploring French warrior might succeed to pillage one road tile and the attack is screwed. No, sorry Uber, but I refuse your war concept. It is not well-thought.
Old June 21, 2002, 06:41   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:57
Oh my god. This is going horribly wrong!

Jupiter preserve us.
Old June 21, 2002, 07:02   #23
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:57
I'm with Sir Ralph on this one.

Too many things can go wrong with the wheel / horses / roads / war chariot approach, and even if everything works out perfectly, it will still take a good long while to get it all in place.

The best plans are often the simple ones, because they're quicker and easier to implement and there are fewer things that can go wrong along the way.

In this case, the simple plan is to get warrior code and train archers, which move slower but don't require horses and can go places where the war chariots can't.

They'll need a couple of spearmen to back them up and they'll move a little slow, but it won't be a disaster if we don't find horses or fail to build the roads fast enough.
Old June 21, 2002, 07:06   #24
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Sir Ralph says it takes 5 turns for an industrious civ to road a jungle square, so if we double up it'll be 2 or 3 turns per tile, times seven tiles, 14 or 21 turns before a full scalre war is possible.
First, it takes 3 turns for two workers to road the jungle, so it's 21.
Second, you forgot the 8 turns spent for the workers to move to the non-roaded jungle tiles. Which makes it 29.
Third, it'll take 2-3 turns for the workers to get to the first tile we need to road. Now it's 32.
And fourth, Sir Ralph is right.
Old June 21, 2002, 09:08   #25
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:57
That plan could never work! The road would take decades to build, the French would at least have a few spearmen to defend by the time we got there, if not swordsmen, and we are extreamely unlikely to get horses in our squares of Horseland.
In truth, I even doubt the saner approach of using archers would work.
Old June 21, 2002, 09:19   #26
Timeline
King

Sir Ralph, that "useless city" could be our only hope for getting Iron.
Old June 21, 2002, 09:22   #27
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:57
I agree with your plans, Guardian.
We should get warrior code, build 4 or 5 archers, 2 or 3 spearmen, then, with this great army attack France !
Old June 21, 2002, 11:06   #28
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:57
You warmongers. We play emperor here!!! This means that the AI started off with 4 defensive and 2 offensive units. It may well appear to be a good thing to have all this jungle. The other civ's might hesitate to wipe us out immediately. As far as a war with France is concerned: until France gets musketeers they behave quite peacefull and are ready to sell its tech's for a reasonable price.
That is, if we finally start making money instead of wasting it all to a research we may have bought for a few coins
Old June 21, 2002, 11:28   #29
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Fine. We shall abandon the great war chariot strategy. We shall get Warrior Code and archers.

I now plead with the City Planner and the rest of the CTED for barracks in every city and a decently sized road network. If we're going to use a slower army, unification and strength will be key.
Old June 21, 2002, 11:30   #30
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

I also suggest that CTED updates it's thread, creates a new one, whatever.

I am curious to see where our new cities / roads / clearing will be, and what effect it will have on the military.